New iMacs tech discussion

kuruu

35 posts in this topic

Could be,

The only thing I know is, we have ASUS 945 boards with the gma950 and without, and all of them say 3.2gigs available ram when boot into windows and linux, even though all the machines have 4gigs ram installed.

So, what good Hackintosh boards DON'T truncate the memory? Do any 975 boards not do that? I just ordered an Asrock Conroe945-DVI with 4 sticks of memory before I realized the 4-gig limit. I suppose I'll just live with it until the "best" motherboard is discovered for my happy chips!

-Dan

Do any 975 boards not do that?

I don't think so.

I'm curious, does the 965 also have a 3.2gig addressing limitation like the 945s do?

All the iMac are only supported up to 3gigs of ram, using a 2gig SO-DIMM and a 1gig SO-DIMM, and what does that do to the dual channel performance of your memory?

I would be that 2 x 2GB will yield dual channel in the iMac, but the OS will be limited to ~3.2GB.

I don't think so.

I would be that 2 x 2GB will yield dual channel in the iMac, but the OS will be limited to ~3.2GB.

So, basically, even though all these MB companies say that their MB's support up to 4 Gigs - NONE of them will actually let you USE that much? What a freakin' crock!

-Dan

from reading this i have a few questions.

1. If i order with my 24" iMac 1GB of ram & then add another stick of 1GB from a different supplier and probably different ram manufacturers will i get the dual channel performance boost?

2. Would I loose dual channel with 3GB?

3. Is dual channel even worth it? what is the bonus? would i be better getting just 3GB and hell to it.

EDIT: HOLY HELL! I just checked crucial for a cheap ram upgrade a 2GB stick costs over £800!!!! (£1,500) ;) I think I'll stay with 2GB of ram.

So, basically, even though all these MB companies say that their MB's support up to 4 Gigs - NONE of them will actually let you USE that much? What a freakin' crock!

-Dan

Ya, I was a little pissed that I have bought 4GB of RAM only to find out I could only use about 3.2MB. I noticed that some vendors are now warning people this issue. I think this is why Apple is saying the C2D iMacs only can take 3GB.

1. If i order with my 24" iMac 1GB of ram & then add another stick of 1GB from a different supplier and probably different ram manufacturers will i get the dual channel performance boost?

It ussually better to work with "matched" pairs, but yes, it should work fine.

2. Would I loose dual channel with 3GB?

Yes, the chipset requires symmetric RAM.

3. Is dual channel even worth it? what is the bonus? would i be better getting just 3GB and hell to it.

Yes, dual channel is worth it, the bandwidth doubles, the benefit of 3GB over 2GB for general use is negliable.

EDIT: HOLY HELL! I just checked crucial for a cheap ram upgrade a 2GB stick costs over £800!!!! (£1,500) :D I think I'll stay with 2GB of ram.

That's right, 2GB sticks are not a good deal and probably will not come to reasonable price for years. There is very little demand for them.

Ram limitations is not a chipset limitation, its an OS limitation, 32 bts OSs can't reach more than 3.2 gb, my own mobo is capable of running 8 GB with the appropiate OS and Processor. (anytwo runnning at 64 bits)

Now, remeber Leopard is 64 bits OS, so.....

hope this helps.

Cheers

Aberracus

Ram limitations is not a chipset limitation, its an OS limitation, 32 bts OSs can't reach more than 3.2 gb, my own mobo is capable of running 8 GB with the appropiate OS and Processor. (anytwo runnning at 64 bits)

Now, remeber Leopard is 64 bits OS, so.....

hope this helps.

Cheers

Aberracus

For the board in your sig, from the Gigabyte website under specifications it says:

4 DDR II DIMM memory slots (supports up to 4GB memory)

Supports 1.8V DDR II DIMM

Supports dual channel DDR II 667/533/400 DIMM

* Due to standard PC architecture, a certain amount of memory is reserved for system usage and therefore the actual memory size is less than the stated amount.

The key phrase here is "Due to standard PC Architecture".

It is a BIOS mapping issue, which maps hardware resources and memory to the 4gig and lower addressable range, so if you put 4gigs of ram in the machine, the hardware resources will get mapped over top and you will have less then that available to the OS, usually about 3.2 gigs.

If you put 3 gigs of ram in the machine, the hardware resources still get mapped to the 4gig down memory addressable range, and you still have 3 gigs available to the OS.

32bit OSes can address up to 4gig of ram, it's the PC architecture that reduces the amount of available ram to the OS.

• 9 months later...