New iMacs tech discussion

kuruu

35 posts in this topic

24 inches! They are here! Merom all round up to 2.33GHz!

Big Question: Which chipset? 965, 975, 945?

Ok, all but the low end support the use of 2GB DIMMs.

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

EDIT: The Intel specs. on the 945GM that I looked at may be misleading. The Internet suggests the Merom in being used with the 945 chipsets so I now suspect that these 3GB iMacs are using some 945 variant (and perhaps more importantly the ICH7M as opposed to the ICH8M).

So it looks like they are using a 965, the 945 only allows 1GB DIMMs max:

p 19: ftp://download.intel.com/design/mobile/datashts/30921902.pdf

So it looks like they are using a 965, the 945 only allows 1GB DIMMs max:

I'm curious, does the 965 also have a 3.2gig addressing limitation like the 945s do?

All the iMac are only supported up to 3gigs of ram, using a 2gig SO-DIMM and a 1gig SO-DIMM, and what does that do to the dual channel performance of your memory?

I'm curious, does the 965 also have a 3.2gig addressing limitation like the 945s do?

EDIT: Yes, we do know that the G965 has the same limitation with 1 GB DIMMs and also has a similiar limitation with 2 GB DIMMs (the limit is about 6 GB). But we do not know what the G965 limits the OS to when 1 GB and 2 GB DIMMs are mixed.

All the iMac are only supported up to 3gigs of ram, using a 2gig SO-DIMM and a 1gig SO-DIMM, and what does that do to the dual channel performance of your memory?

I believe that dual channel is only possible with symmetric RAM on the 945 chipsets, so using 2GB would probably be preferable to 3 here.

I believe that dual channel is only possible with symmetric RAM on the 945 chipsets, so using 2GB would probably be preferable to 3 here.

Weird,

I would have hoped that putting in 2x2gig SO-DIMMS, you would actually be able to use all of the 4gig of ram.

Maybe it's possible, but I'm surprised at the memory configurations.

I've updated the topic to reflect the nature of this thread. There's a front page news article for those wanting to discuss things other than the chipsets, etc. :D

Also moved it to the Mac area for clarity's sake. Good job on being quick, melchior.

This is just my opinion.

All the new iMacs are using the first run Merom chips, which are 479 socket, and are pin compatible with the Yonah chips, and are supported by the 945 chipset.

I believe all the iMacs today are 945 based, and that is why they only support up to 3gig of ram. (3.2gig actually).

I don't believe there are any new chipsets in the iMacs, and they are just a processor replacement, which apparently has been done on the sly to the mac mini in other forums.

I believe all the iMacs today are 945 based, and that is why they only support up to 3gig of ram. (3.2gig actually).

A little more follow up on this.

A 32 bit Operating System can address about 4 gigs of memory, 64 bit OSes a lot more.

The 945 chipset maps a number of things into the 4 gig address range so that 32 bit Operating Systems can see these things, and use the hardware.

What it means is, even if I put 4 gigs of ram into the machine that address range at 4 gigabyte downwards will get mapped over with other addressable hardware, which leaves that ram unusable by the Operating System.

On some boards like the Asus 945 boards, Windows XP 32 bit would report 3.2gigs of ram available.

Below is an example chart that illustrates the memory addresses overlayed in a 4 gig and a 3 gig system.

post-19987-1157590555_thumb.jpg

As you can see in the chart, it doesn't matter whether you have 4 gigs of ram in the system or 3 gigs of ram, the hardware overlays part of that address space, and you are left with about the same amount of usable ram to the Operating System and Applications.

The 945 chipset maps a number of things into the 4 gig address range so that 32 bit Operating Systems can see these things, and use the hardware.

I thought this ~3GB limit issue was limited to the 945G series chipsets and not an issue on the 945P series.

The other we can say here about the iMac chipset is that it is almost certainly based on the Intel "Napa" mobile platform (which is a 945 chipset), the new "Santa Rosa" mobile platform (which will use the ICH8M) is not due until next year.

The iMac is almost certainly using the Napa "refresh":

santarosacb3.jpg

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdo...?i=2715&p=2

This makes it pretty clear that iMac is must be using some 945, perhaps the 945PM in the top models: http://www.intel.com/products/roadmap/laptop.htm

Hmm, well ive been thinking, im just gonna get a iMac adn a Macbook pro, next year bu tinstaed of getting a conroe, im gonna wait till november wen clovertown is release, with this new core 2 architechture, massive performance boosts are only 3 months apart.

I thought this ~3GB limit issue was limited to the 945G series chipsets and not an issue on the 945P series.

Could be,

The only thing I know is, we have ASUS 945 boards with the gma950 and without, and all of them say 3.2gigs available ram when boot into windows and linux, even though all the machines have 4gigs ram installed.