Rewiring the g5 fans

telegenecaster

5 posts in this topic

I read a pretty extensive topic on rewiring for g5 fans. I'll admit though that I didn't fully understand it all.

1) When people rewire, do they solder the fan's original wires to a male molex connector to connect to the psu?

2) Are there different types of molex connectors? And if so, does it matter which kind you wire to? As long as it has yellow, black, black, red wires respectively.

3) I'm able to actually plug some of the fans onto my motherboard (sys_fan1 or 2). They both have 4 pins, is there a reason I can't just do this?

4) I still don't really understand how you set a fan to 5v instead of 12v, could anyone explain this to me? When I look at diagrams, it says you set the (hdd bay fan wires for example) two outside wires, 1 and 4, to the red wire. Does this mean you solder both of those wires to the red wire on the molex connector?

Thanks in advance!

Hello telegenecaster, here are some answers to your questions :

The red wire is 5V, the yellow wire is 12V and are externals wires, the two black wires in the center are Ground .

When you connect the 5V and 12V from the fan to the red wire from the molex you get 5V from the PSU .

The connectors from the Mobo are different, check the Mobo Manual to see which one is 12V and red, which one is Ground and black and which one is the temperature sensor for the fan and which one is the control speed for the fan .

Hello telegenecaster, here are some answers to your questions :

The red wire is 5V, the yellow wire is 12V and are externals wires, the two black wires in the center are Ground .

When you connect the 5V and 12V from the fan to the red wire from the molex you get 5V from the PSU .

The connectors from the Mobo are different, check the Mobo Manual to see which one is 12V and red, which one is Ground and black and which one is the temperature sensor for the fan and which one is the control speed for the fan .

Hm, so there are two alternatives. If I connect it to the PSU, do people typically just solder the wires directly onto each other? Or what's the most effective way to connect the wires? Secondly, if I connect it to the mobo, which wire (fan side) would I connect to the temp sensor and control speed (mobo side)?

The easier way to connect to the psu is to solder to the wires from the molex connector.

About the mobo connectors, as I said the answers are in the Mobo Manual . Usually, the red is for 12V, the black for Ground, and the speed control and the temperature sensor are white or yellow.