Unload Kexts ?

djavocado

16 posts in this topic

Hi there..

Im pretty new to OS X, and I use Google and other sites for helping me out. But now I've come to a halt, and dont know how to solve this problem:

I have a M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Sound card installed.. It worked fine untill I rebooted.. Now when I install the kext for it (from http://www.audio-evolution.com/drivers/), it still doesnt work..

Then I tried to remove the kext via terminal, but it says it can't unload Kext because it has 2 instances.. So how do I remove them?

Because I accidently installed the wrong Kext at the first place.. So I think this bugs OS X somehow..

Any ideas may be helpful..

PS: Sorry if this should have been posted elsewhere

-Andy

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/nameofkext.kext

Then delete it

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/nameofkext.kext

Or could just navigate to /System/Library/Extensions, drag the offending kernel extensions to the trash and reboot.

If you can't do that, then boot in safe mode with -x. Sound drivers don't load in safe mod and you should be able to delete them then.

Hi - Thx for the quick answer.. unfortunately that didnt work for me, when i type in "sudo kextun... etc etc" It says "Can't unload kext because it has instances" or something like that..

I cant delete it either in safemode, it says permission denied for some reason.

Thx for the help though!

EDIT: Okay so far so good.. I finally figured how to get it to work.. But the problem is I manually loaded the Kext for it to work..

How do I get this to load automatically?

I read on the site that: " The Envy24 chip can only allocate memory in the first 256mb of address space. If OSX does not have enough memory available for the driver at boot time, the driver will have a high chance of malfunctioning"

If this is what cause's the problem - Then how do I solve that?

In your first post you mentioned that the card worked fine until you rebooted?

If so I think it's safe to conclude that you don't have the memory issue.

When it was working, had you used the driver installer package or was it after manually installing the driver?

Are you sure you have deleted the wrong (Envy24HTPCIAudioDriver.kext) driver?

I have tested this driver myself not too long ago, also with a Delta 2496 on Snow Leopard, and I did not have any problems at all. But I didn't install the wrong driver first... ;)

Run Terminal.app and enter

kextstat -k > ~/Desktop/kextstat.txt.

Please attach the kextstat here.

That is correct.. I first install the wrong driver (Envy24HT) - As this completes I read further that this wasn't the right driver, so i quickly downloaded the correct driver (Envy24) - Installed, and worked like a charm.. Then 10-15 min later I reboot, and suddently the Audio was disabled, and the kext not load (obviously) - Well lucky me you've used this before, and thanks for the effort! :-)

FYI - The Envy24 Kext is NOT loaded in this kextstat

Kextstat attached...

kextstat.txt

Now it seems that I cant load the kext manully - or it has no effect.. i type in sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/Envy24PCIAudioDriver.kext as I did yesterday.. But this doesnt load the Envy24 driver anymore as it did yesterday.. Hmmm.

Got no clue whats going on..

Kextstat looks fine. Maybe something is stuck in a cache somewhere, causing a conflict.

Try the "carpet bombing" cache cleaning method. Can't hurt.

Google and download Lion Cache Cleaner.

Don't worry, it's a very well behaved and extremely helpful app that works fine on Snow Leopard, it has no ads/spyware or any other annoying things and doesn't install itself all over your system in hidden folders.

In the windows that appears after clicking 'demo', click the 'caches' button to the far right, select 'deep cleaning', tick all three boxes and let it do its thing.

Reboot and let me know what happens.

btw I highly recommend that you look around in the menus of Lion Cache Cleaner, kick the tires a bit, see what it can do, it's a very nice app.

Thanks.. Im trying that..

I said "Yes" to delete all of the caches folder.. Hope that was the right choice. I have a small problem rebooting, it just hangs after a few seconds when the little animated "circle" appears. So I have to press the Reset button.

Can this be a problem?

YOU SIR! ARE A GENIUS!

It worked, it now loaded the Envy24 driver from start automatically.

Thanks a million times! :-)

No problem, it was a lucky guess! Glad it worked out for you.

It's not good if it's hanging while cleaning the caches, it means there is a deeper issue somewhere.

Try booting in safe mode with -x and run it again, and yes, click yes/ok on every dialog that pops up. If it appears to hang again, just leave it running for a while, say 5 minutes.

Hmm.. I installed from Hazard Snow Leo 10.6.2 - In this I chose in Customize>Patches>OpenHaltRestart... And in the bootloader I chose the latest Chameleon I could find on it, which was RC4.. So im a little confused :-)

Im not much for changing from something that is stable and works for me, to something that is unknown :-D - If this should fail and get KP allover the screen I panic myself haha.. I dont know what to do / how to fix a KP..