Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Thread

653 posts in this topic

I am creating this thread as a conversation for all Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 users. Other related Gigabyte board discussions are welcome.

1. Installation may be done on the GA-965P-DS3 natively by purchasing a PATA to SATA converter. You need to convert the a PATA DVD-rom drive into a SATA cable. The onboard PATA is not supported!

2. Sound does not work out of the box on this board. Read the following post to find out how to enable stereo sound on the 965P-DS3.

My personal experience is that I purchased Linksys Wireless G PCI adapter (wmp54G). This adapter is NOT the broadcomm chipset. It, however, does seem to be supported through the RALink drivers. I have attached those drivers below.

It appears that onboard LAN works out of the box.

NOTICE

A solution has been found to solve the hard disk drive read/write speeds, and the IDE port now works. The following is the link to the post which has very simple instructions to follow in order to get this to work properly: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=220843 However, you will need to follow the steps below first in order to follow the steps provided by Julian23 in the above link.

How to install OSx86 using the GA-965P-DS3 (for a more in-depth and proper HowTo, please go to the following link in the Genius Bar: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...28439&st=0)

1) Hook up your SATA Hard Disk Drive to the purple JMicron (JMB363) SATA ports. If it is a Western Digital drive, put it in the Yellow/Orange SATA ports.

2) Your PATA to SATA converted DVD-R needs to be plugged into the orange ICH8 SATA ports. If you are using a PATA to USB, ignore this step, and carry on.

3) Change your BIOS' settings, in the Integrated Peripherals section, to have SATA Native Mode: Disabled, Onboard SATA/IDE: Enabled, Onboard SATA/IDE Device Control Mode: AHCI. Save and exit. If you are using a USB DVD-R drive, make sure that Legacy USB Storage Detect is enabled (not sure if this is necessary).

If you are using a Western Digital drive, keep the Onboard SATA/IDE Device Control Mode set to IDE. I have found that if you change it to AHCI, the installation takes hours to complete, whereas if set to IDE, it takes approximately 30 - 40 minutes.

4) Boot from the OSx86 installation DVD, install it using the appropriate options (with the "Customise" button before installating), and you should have full SATA Read/Write support (for non-WD hard disk drive users).

For Western Digital HDD users, you won't have full read/write support just yet. Keep on reading...

5) Then you need to follow the steps outlined by Julian23 in order to have your IDE port and purple JMicron SATA ports fully working. Also, you will now notice that you can plug your DVD drive into the IDE port, and you will have full functionality. Western Digital HDD users should have full read/write support after following this step..

If you have any problems with this, be sure to reply here and we will try our hardest to help. Good luck, SABR. ;)

As more information regarding the compatibility of this board is discovered, it will be added to this original message.

WirelessCard_OS_10_1_.4_2005_12_05.zip

Edited by SABR

UPDATE

I have had great success with the ALC883 package. I recommend using that technique to enable audio. The original two-channel technique is below for posterity. You can get the package from this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=36520

Original Two Channel Technique

1. Delete AppleHDA.kext:

In Terminal, type: sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

2) Edit AppleAzaliaAudio.kext:

In Terminal, type: sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Search for (use hotkey= ctrl + w):

<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>

change the string to:

<string>0x10ec0883</string>

Exit pico

sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Search for (use hotkey= ctrl + w):

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

change the string to:

<string>0x284b8086</string>

Exit pico

3) Clean up the system:

In Terminal, type: sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

4) Then, reboot and enjoy sound out of two channels.

This information was shamelessly stolen from Rammjet on this thread- http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...eHDA\.kext . However, the above version has the correct device and vendor ids for the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3. Enjoy.

Onboard Lan looks very possible, but I am not able to test it from my location. That would complete the picture.

Edited by Conroe Mac

Good idea starting a new thread for this motherboard cm, it is very popular (amazing overclocker).

Okay yesterday night i started installing osx on my ds3 and everything went smooth, but i haven't tested it yet because i had to get some sleep.

As i wrote in another thread i used an ide to usb converter to get it installed, enabled legacy storage device and disabled native sata in bios to get it installed in my sata wd2500ks on ich8.

LAN seems to work out of the box.

Conroe Mac does acpi work for you? i mean all the power management features, like reboot, monitor sleep etc?

Mine does not seem to reboot, when i select restart it takes me back to the command line interface throws some messages (not errors) and the message "mach reboot" in the end.

Good idea starting a new thread for this motherboard cm, it is very popular (amazing overclocker).

Okay yesterday night i started installing osx on my ds3 and everything went smooth, but i haven't tested it yet because i had to get some sleep.

Can you give us your overclocking results (with your cooling, bios version, vcore, and other parameters)? I searched the web and some reviews got only 350mhz FSB O/C and others were able to get over 450 mhz! I don't know who to believe at this point.

I have a couple of really stupid question to ask, as I've been out of the overclocking scene for a while. Hopefully someone will have mercy and not laugh. First, if I'm overclocking the FSB to say 450mhz, what is the RAM running at? What about the PCI bus? I used to overclock a long time ago and remember that raising FSB also raises PCI bus, which I believe killed one of my SCSI HDs and maybe one of my IDE HDs.

Thanks for your help!

Can you give us your overclocking results (with your cooling, bios version, vcore, and other parameters)? I searched the web and some reviews got only 350mhz FSB O/C and others were able to get over 450 mhz! I don't know who to believe at this point.

I have a couple of really stupid question to ask, as I've been out of the overclocking scene for a while. Hopefully someone will have mercy and not laugh. First, if I'm overclocking the FSB to say 450mhz, what is the RAM running at? What about the PCI bus? I used to overclock a long time ago and remember that raising FSB also raises PCI bus, which I believe killed one of my SCSI HDs and maybe one of my IDE HDs.

Thanks for your help!

I have a Core 2 Duo E6400 running at 3.2Ghz with vcore 1.325 and FSB at 400MHZ. My case is a gigabyte triton and i have dumped the stock cooler for an arctic cooling freezer pro, my load temps are 58C with core temp and idles around 34C.

Pci bus is locked at 33.33 mhz

Core = multiplier (8x for E6400) x FSB (default 266) (e.g. 8 x 400 = 3.2ghz)

Mem = Memory divider setting (e.g. 1:1) x FSB x2 (div1:1 400 x2 = 800)

Thanks for your help!

Well, the RAM you choose is going to have a lot of control on how much your overclock gets up tp. I have the Corsair XMS2 675 RAM, and I can say it overclocks very well.

I currently have my FSB at 470 Mhz x 7 = 3.3 Ghz (+/- 10 Mhz). If your FSB was at 400 Mhz, it would depend on the memory multiplier you have to know what frequency your RAM would be at. However, the lowest memory multiplier available it 2.0, so, you would have it @ 800 Mhz. :)

I would strongly advise you update the motherboard BIOS to the F4 revision. This has helped me overlock my CPU to 3.6 Ghz (although unstable :P).

Hope that helps.

Also, Conroe Mac, thanks for making this thread, and how to get the onboard sound working. Saves time and effort for when I get OSx86 running! :gathering:

Chelhydra- I have not tried sleep. I tend to doubt that it will work. However, I am having lots of trouble getting my Sapphire X1600xt working. I have a feeling I should get that working before I try sleep.

I also hang on reboot. However, there is a well-known fix for this which I have yet to put into action, because I've been working overtime on the video card problem. If you want to pioneer into that problem, I suggest you take a look at this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...xedit&st=20

SABR- Of course. This community has given me so much, I can only hope to give back a small part of what I have learned.

So it appears that LAN works out of the box? I have not used the onboard LAN. Anyone else with similar experience? It would be great if the only fix needed were the sound for this card.

So it appears that LAN works out of the box? I have not used the onboard LAN. Anyone else with similar experience? It would be great if the only fix needed were the sound for this card.

Plus a PATA/IDE to SATA/USB converter. Hopefully by the time we get Leopard running on Hackintosh's, we won't be needing that either! :(

I'll have my converter by the 10th or 11th. I'll then report back here and let you guys know how I get on.

Reboot Fixed

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...xedit&st=20

1. Open a terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal).

2. Type the following:

cp /mach_kernel ~/Desktop/mach_kernel

cp /mach_kernel ~/Desktop/mach_kernel_noacpi

3. Download this: 0xED.

4. Install it and run it.

5. Click File -> open by path.

6. Enter the path: /Volumes/<your root disk here>/<your username here>/Desktop/mach_kernel

7. You will see the kernel in hex.

8. Click in the box labelled offset. Type 8D2B8

9. The cursor will move to the correct line.

10. Find the letters EB FE 90 90

11. Replace them with B0 FE E6 64.

12. Save and exit

13. Go back to the terminal

14. Type:

sudo cp ~/Desktop/mach_kernel /

<type your password>

Now type

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

The boot plist file will open. Find the section <string></string> and insert Platform=ACPI so the line looks like this:

<string>Platform=ACPI</string>

Save and exit by pushing Ctrl+X then Y.

15. Now shutdown your computer. When you have restarted it, the shutdown and restart options should both work.

This only works on the 10.4.4 kernel supplied with Myzar's 10.4.4/10.4.5 disk, and Jas' 10.4.6 (I think!). Bottom line check what you're replacing before you do it. If it doesn't match, don't do it!!

Hex editing your kernel without being sure what you are doing is a sure recipe for disaster. If your language is a barrier to understanding the above, I suggest you leave it alone and put up with the problem. If you are still keen, use a fresh install or at least ensure you have backed up your system.

If things do break, try booting from the mach_kernel_noacpi in your Desktop, or copy the kernel back from your boot DVD.

** This information reproduced from a post by TokyoVigilante at this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...xedit&st=60

If you have questions about this technique or how to uninstall in case of a problem, consult that thread.

*** Personal Notes: Be very careful when using 0xED to align everything correctly. If you simply type in the values for the hex, it will push the code forward and ruin your mach_kernel! Make sure you delete before you insert and watch to make sure that you have exactly replaced the old code.

This is confirmed working with 10.4.6 Jas on my system.

Hey guys

I am going to buy a Gigabyte board too. What should I get a 3 or a 4 ? Difference is 20 euro. I think I am going to get E6300 CPU. I wont be needing 3.2 ghz :D I am happy with 2.6ghz (800mhz!) overclock.

Also I dont understand what that PATA/IDE to SATA/USB converter exactly means. Do I need to use a SATA harddisk here or a SATA harddisk. Or do I not need a converter if I buy a SATA disc ? what is the deal here?

I believe I have the only installation from a DVD-rom. I used a PATA DVD-rom drive (the one with two rows of pins that accept a wide ribbon cable). I put a converter on there that changes the output on the back of the drive to SATA (much thinner cable with faster transfer speed).

Would a SATA DVD-rom work? It might... I would check for compatibility in the wiki. However, considering you can get a good PATA drive (CD-burner/DVD-burner Dual Layer, Lightscribe) for about thirty bucks and the converter is very cheap, it might be best just to buy a PATA drive. SATA DVD-rom drives haven't become inexpensive in the same way that SATA Hard Drives have. You can also install from a USB drive also, but it is incredibly slow.

The reason for this procedure is because the onboard IDE is tacked on to the motherboard. The 965 chipset does not support IDE. Thus, if you try to install from a PATA/IDE DVD-Rom drive, you will get a "Waiting for root device" error.

What is the difference between the 3 and 4?

This might sound like a silly question, but what does a Mac do when it sleeps? I put mine to sleep and I can hear things turn off inside the case (sounds like HD is spinning down.) The mouse disappears, but the screen does not go black. Moving the mouse makes the HD? spin up again.

I do not have my graphics card up yet (Sapphire X1600xt 256mb). I haven't been having luck with the Badenov method.

I have this board, and for me, LAN worked out of the box. (JaS 10.4.6 install)

I had to install by PATA DVD, using a PATA->SATA converter (cost $10, not bad).

I got audio working via the same method as you.

I have an ATI x1900XT, and got it working only after installing 10.4.7 update, using the boris badenov installer, and THEN using a DVI->Analog converter. DVI output does NOT work, only dsub.

I fixed the rebooting problem by modifying the kernel as explained above--works great now, though I used a different method (as seen here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Tips_And_Tricks)

cd /

sudo -s

cp mach_kernel mach_kernel.backup

printf '\260\376\346\144' | dd if=/dev/stdin of=mach_kernel bs=1 count=4 oseek=578235 conv=notrunc

BIGGEST problem--Hard drives work in PIO mode, not DMA--ie, they are hella slow. I've tried messing around with the AppleIntelPIIXATA driver, but there doesn't seem to be any support yet for ICH8 chipset. IF anyone has any info about this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Results I've seen personally so far with the GA-DS3...

Lan works out of the box with 10.4.6 and 10.4.7 or using 10.4.6 with 10.4.7 update (goatsecks/jas editions).

Audio: haven't had much luck yet, haven't tried the suggestions in this thread

Video: ati x800 pro works with mouse tearing, haven't tried to fix it.

Installed: Using USB-ide adapter with dvd rom. To SATA drives on Intel ICH8 with native mode disabled.

The biggest issue is HD speeds are horribly slow.

Updates to come later.

Edit: what sata/ide converters are you guys using? Links and names (links can go dead so please post a name/brand as well) of exact ones would be much appreciated.

NOTE: DO NOT BUY HW-629 SATA to PATA/IDE converters - they will not work!

You need HW-628's, like this:

s3-2.JPG

However, just to be sure, I will be able to confirm compatibility on the 9th of September. :gathering:

Thanks for the post Sabr

Model # on seems to be HW-629 . edit: do not buy that one, it is the wrong type it converts the IDE on the motherboard (a.k.a. host adapter) to SATA..this goes the wrong way. You need one that converts the IDE from the HD to SATA for the mainboard.

Ebay auctions will say

Plug directly into the motherboard IDE port, this devices will convert IDE signals to Serial ATA for SATA hard drives

IDE TO SATA converter

all of which are the wrong type

do not buy a rosewill adapter I've had nothing but trouble with the one I bought. Get the one ConroeMac purchased, it comes with a nice casing and seems to work quite nicely.

============

=========

============

Here's what you DO want when looking for one:

plugging directly into your Hard Driver's IDE port.

SATA to IDE converter

ALL EIDE Type DVD / DVD-RAM / CD-ROM / CD-RW / HDD Become New Serial ATA Devices!

interfaces to parallel Ultra ATA devices

Convert Your ATA HDD/CDROM/DVD to SATA Interface

If you are stil unsure what to get, e=mail the seller and ask which one plugs into the back of an IDE HARD DRIVE or DVDROM and buy that one.

I think that should cover it. There is still no guarantee you will end up with a properly functioning drive with any of these adapter, but atleast now you can find the right ones :)

and here's a nice pic of how it SHOULD look when installed properly

50b6872f8c.jpg

if it can't do that, it's the wrong type.

Thanks to SABR for being the guinnea pig on this clerical error :P

-----------------------=========---------------------

Just like to update, 2channel audio works here as well. Helps if you plug the audio out to the correct connector :D

**Firstly, new BIOS is out with expanded graphics card support. Version F5. I don't really understand how to use the utility that it comes with though.

Secondly,

I hadn't noticed that the HD is really slow. Is there a way I can test that?

Lastly,

Kuzbad- For the X1900,

Is it coming out of the DVI port at the video card and converting to D-sub at the monitor

or

Is it coming out Analog and you convert it to DVI before the monitor?

I'm guessing the second. I'm having a terrible time with an X1600xt that refuses to work. I'm going to try the new BIOS F5 I think.

I used the program xbench to do a performance test--HDD speeds reaaally slow. (there are tons of posts around, and @ hackint0sh about xbench, and avg results). I'm playing around to see if I can make this any better.

My video card only have two DVI ports. I have a cable which is DVI on one end, and Analog on another. I plug the DVI end into the video card, and the analog into the monitor.

My procedure was exactly:

-Install 10.4.6

-Upgrade to 10.4.7

-Run the Boris Badenov installer

-Reboot

*get blank screen*

*switch from DVI to analog after researching on laptop :-P*

-Reboot

-Works!

I'm still running F3 BIOS--should upgrade--thanks for the headsup!!

Thanks for the post Sabr

Model # on that seems to be HW-629 . So for those looking for one, search ebay for that and they should come up.

Just like to update, 2channel audio works here as well. Helps if you plug the audio out to the correct connector :D

NOOO!! :P

HW-629's WONT WORK!

(sorry, just had to warn people! :D)

You need HW-628. The one I have works as a HOST. In other words, you have to plug it into the PATA port on the motherboard for it to work. I tried putting it in my DVD drive, but it would not detect it. :)

I guess someone has to buy the wrong thing to stop other people from buying it.

Anyway, you need one which works as a DRIVE. The model is HW-628. I guess I'll have to buy that one now...

EDIT:

They look like this:

s3-2.JPGs3-3.JPG

mmmh,

i wonder how you got the installer to run..

i´ve an intel dg965ss matx motherboard with the g965 chipset

and osx86 wont boot.

every installerdisc stops after detecting the serial port

(so far i´ve tried the .6 jas and myiso and hotiso and .7 jas)

stops every time at the same point, no change if i boot from pata dvd or usb dvd

so my question is what can i do to get behind this point ...

mmmh,

i wonder how you got the installer to run..

i´ve an intel dg965ss matx motherboard with the g965 chipset

and osx86 wont boot.

every installerdisc stops after detecting the serial port

(so far i´ve tried the .6 jas and myiso and hotiso and .7 jas)

stops every time at the same point, no change if i boot from pata dvd or usb dvd

so my question is what can i do to get behind this point ...

Hmmmm, well, that is a strange problem... :thumbsdown_anim:

Have you tried the platform=X86PC and -x switches at the Darwin Prompt? Just giving out ideas...

i tried some of the switches but im not aware of all possibilitys...

will try to do the vmware install to native if i dont get around this

but as for now i dont have a second sata disk at hand

and for that would like to get some tips to try......

mhh, just tried it with a vm and extra pata drive.

no booting, the vm says

"kernel fault error ,

on a real machine the processor has done a reset....."

is there a special switch for conroe ?

unfortunally the vm display is not readable but imho this comes after the second kernel extension is loaded message or if i boot on the real hardware as said above it hangs after detecting the serial port ..

The great solution would be a DVD Rom SATA II or conversor PATA-SATAwith NCQ and AHCI support.

because to enable IDE Legacy (pio mode) leaves the computer little than less invalid, referring to I/O .

965P-DS4 it at least has left to the resource of second controller SATA for manage SATA disks in ACHI mode and to have good speed.

Another solution is install OS X in another PC and translate HD with installation to the P965-DS3 and after use DVD Rom USB type, or install X in legacy mode with adapter ATA-SATA and after installation switch legacy mode in bios for AHCI mode and use DVD USB type.