Workstation 8/9/10, Player 4/5/6 and Fusion 4/5/6 Mac OS X Unlocker

Donk

543 posts in this topic

I successfully updated my Hackintosh (not VMware) to 10.7.2. No issues at all. It's build 11C74.

A little slow when it comes up, but it completes booting. [seems ok now, probably stale caches caused slowness]

fakesmc now reports 2 missing SMC keys MSTf (an old one) and MSDS. That doesn't seem to prevent booting.

Stay tuned for VMware...

Update: SCSI disk not recognized under VMware.

UpUpdate: The problem is AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext. Retain AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext from OS 10.7.1, and OS 10.7.2 can be booted in VMware. If you've already upgraded, overwrite it by mounting the HFS volume in another virtual machine. If you need AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext from OS 10.7.1, can download it [May 13 2012 - link removed].

[using guestos darwin11-64, firmware efi, npci=0x2000]

I successfully updated my Hackintosh (not VMware) to 10.7.2. No issues at all. It's build 11C74.

A little slow when it comes up, but it completes booting. [seems ok now, probably stale caches caused slowness]

fakesmc now reports 2 missing SMC keys MSTf (an old one) and MSDS. That doesn't seem to prevent booting.

Stay tuned for VMware...

UpUpdate: The problem is AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext. Retain AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext from OS 10.7.1, and OS 10.7.2 can be booted in VMware. If you've already upgraded, overwrite it by mounting the HFS volume in another virtual machine. If you need AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext from OS 10.7.1, can download it here.

So, for those of us that don't know, how do we and where do we put the AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext.

I'm VERY new to OS X and not sure what that even means.

Thanks!

Stay tuned for VMware...

UpUpdate: The problem is AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext. Retain AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext from OS 10.7.1, and OS 10.7.2 can be booted in VMware. If you've already upgraded, overwrite it by mounting the HFS volume in another virtual machine. If you need AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext from OS 10.7.1, can download it here.

Dude your a freaking genius this worked great on ESXi 5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem is AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext. Retain AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext from OS 10.7.1, and OS 10.7.2 can be booted in VMware. If you've already upgraded, overwrite it by mounting the HFS volume in another virtual machine. If you need AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext from OS 10.7.1, can download it here.

Accidental regression or on purpose - what do you think?

Accidental regression or on purpose - what do you think?

Accidental - the Apple and VMware teams do communicate over pre-release software. I have proven it breaks on a real Mac using unaltered Fusion 4.02. I will log a bug and put a message on the VMware forums.

I finally got this to work. I re-applied Zenith432 patch deleted the instance I created earlier and created a new instance added the Core i7 patch to the config file and was good to go. I ran into a kernel panic once the software finished installing, i had the OS restarted and was greeted with the Initial setup wizard. Thanks Zenith432 for your patch.

I am having the same Issue with the same setup. I have attached the log and config file. Not sure what to try next.

Stay tuned for VMware...

Is it possible that the AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext is replaced by the 10.7.2 automatically when replaced with the 10.7.1?

I have replaced the .kext with the 10.7.1 and I could successfully boot into 10.7.2 but after shutting down I'm stuck at next boot. I have to replace the .kext again with the 10.7.1 (and again, and again).

Is there any way to make this change persistent? Do I have to deleted any caches or disable any "automatic .kext update" feature?

Is it possible that the AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext is replaced by the 10.7.2 automatically when replaced with the 10.7.1?

I have replaced the .kext with the 10.7.1 and I could successfully boot into 10.7.2 but after shutting down I'm stuck at next boot. I have to replace the .kext again with the 10.7.1 (and again, and again).

Is there any way to make this change persistent? Do I have to deleted any caches or disable any "automatic .kext update" feature?

Any others seeing this same behavior? I dont' have time to do the switcheroo again right now so I'm holding off on rebooting until I can see if this problem is affecting anyone else.

It also occurred to me that the file may need replacing on the Lion Recovery Partition as well. Haven't looked but I know that a Recovery Partition update was delivered at the same time as the 10.7.2 update.

Any others seeing this same behavior? I dont' have time to do the switcheroo again right now so I'm holding off on rebooting until I can see if this problem is affecting anyone else.

It also occurred to me that the file may need replacing on the Lion Recovery Partition as well. Haven't looked but I know that a Recovery Partition update was delivered at the same time as the 10.7.2 update.

Yip, I do. Setting the whole - replaced - directory AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext in /System/Library/Extenstions/ to read-only (chmod -R 444 AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext) does the trick. But there must be another and better solution.

Yip, I do. Setting the whole - replaced - directory AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext in /System/Library/Extenstions/ to read-only (chmod -R 444 AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext) does the trick. But there must be another and better solution.

Interesting... I ended up forgetting that I was afraid to reboot and did so last night a couple of times and had no issues with booting back up.

So maybe it depends on how you replaced the file in the first place? In my case, I upgraded to 10.7.2 on Wednesday before knowing there was any problem with the kext. So I booted from the Lion 10.7.0 DVD and used terminal to mount my partition and copied the file from the disc (per the procedure posted in Donk's thread on this subject).

Did you guys replace the file via that (or similar) method or did you replace the file after installing 10.7.2 but before rebooting?

Interesting... I ended up forgetting that I was afraid to reboot and did so last night a couple of times and had no issues with booting back up.

So maybe it depends on how you replaced the file in the first place? In my case, I upgraded to 10.7.2 on Wednesday before knowing there was any problem with the kext. So I booted from the Lion 10.7.0 DVD and used terminal to mount my partition and copied the file from the disc (per the procedure posted in Donk's thread on this subject).

Did you guys replace the file via that (or similar) method or did you replace the file after installing 10.7.2 but before rebooting?

The latter. I installed 10.7.2 (via Software Update) and was not able to reboot. I mounted my 10.7.2 disk in an old SL VM and copied the 10.7.1 kext to the 10.7.2 disk. I was then able to boot (but not reboot).

Replacing the kext in SL, booting 10.7.2 and making the kext read-only did the trick.

Any idea how the kext is overwritten during the shutdown of 10.7.2?

VMWare OSX Lion 10.7.2 Update Instructions

------------------------------------------

If you are like me, when you updated your VMWare installation of Lion to 10.7.2 it started all sorts of problems, including no longer booting at all. If this is the case where you receive a grey screen on boot with an abort logo, and you may notice there is no activity on the HDD LEDs at the bottom of VMWare you simply have to replace some files that are preventing the boot of Lion.

Follow these steps and hopefully you will be back up and running:

1) Change the boot order of your hard drives in VMWare, you should still have the original installation file(vmdk) listed as a Hard Disk device; if not, Add it again to the Virtual Machine.

Edit Virtual Machine Settings

Select your 5GB drive of the Mac OS X Lion.vmdk

Advanced button

Change to device SCSI 0:0 so it will boot to the installer again

You may be prompted to "switch" the drives, that is fine.

2) Turn the machine back on and you should load into the Mac OSX Installer for Lion

3) From the Utilities section choose Terminal and perform the following:

cd /Volumes

ls

-now you should see a couple listings, one for the installer which you can ignore, and the one we want being your Mac HD name-

cd [Name of your Mac HD]/System/Library/Extensions/

rm -r AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext

cp -r /System/Library/Extensions/AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext .

chmod -R 444 AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext

4) Shutdown the installer, edit virtual machine hard drives back to the normal settings with your larger partition being the main boot drive SCSI 0:0

5) Reboot

Thanks to Zenith432 and cruptorix for their intel!

I created a snapshot at 10.7.1, installed 10.7.2 and shut down the VM, booted into the 10.7.1 snapshot with the 10.7.2 disk mounted and copied the .kext.

However, to me there was no need to make the .kext read-only.

Make sure you set up the permissions correctly and reubild the caches:

chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext
touch -c /System/Library/Extensions
kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
kextcache -system-caches

I assume that the 10.7.2 is copied from the recovery partition if there are any cache misses or permission errors.

I have proven it breaks on a real Mac using unaltered Fusion 4.02. I will log a bug and put a message on the VMware forums.

Really? I seem to be able to run a 10.7.2 guest perfectly fine in Fusion 4.0.2. It's only Workstation that has problems.

Guyz

I can confirm that 10.7.2 VM (untouched, without modifying the SCSI driver) runs just fine in Fusion 4.0.2.

AxeL

...and I confirm that the SAME VM doesn't boot within VMware Workstation 8, so there should be

something in Fusion which does the difference...

AxeL

...and I confirm that the SAME VM doesn't boot within VMware Workstation 8, so there should be something in Fusion which does the difference...
Workstation 8 was released 9/14, while Fusion 4.0.2 released 9/27. This is during the time 10.7.2 was being developed, so that may explain it.

I have tried both donk's patches and Zenith432 's unlocker after killing vmtray etc. however Everytime i tried to start the os i received this must be a server OS. Something tells me that this should have been patched away i downgraded back to 7.13 and applied the old patches and snow is installing fine. Is the patch for 8 only going to enable servers and if so how do i mark my client as a server isn't their some sort of text file or something? Or hopefully i did something wrong. Please Help

edit:

for the record it is a fresh install. I plan on trying to upgrade vm8 again after snow is finished installing.

Hi,

many thanks to the dream team (Donk, Zenith, Msok).

Fresh migration from Win7x64+VM714 to Ubuntu11.10x64+VM8.

All running very smootly :

SL 1068

Li 1072(thank you Shawken for updated summary)

New comer : WIN7SP1x64 :)

I migrated the hardware to VM8 and sound seems a bit better on Lion...really...????

So far I feel that OSX runs a bit faster on Linux vs Win 7, but SL is even smoother.

On the other hand Win7 is really beating the CPUs for no reason....

I must says WIN7x64 was very comfy running SL & Lion at once...Linux seems to struggle...maybe unity related....

Anyway, THANK YOU.