• Please log in to reply
476 replies to this topic

gokumba

gokumba

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

The Linux version wasn't tested at all - so good luck with that :)

Almost there - patching libvmwarebase.so.0 fails because it's in its own sub-directory on Linux:

Patching /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwarebase.so.0
open failed Is a directory

You'll find a trivial patch to fix that here: http://paste.pocoo.org/raw/483395/

After applying that, your unlocker works perfectly for me. Including creating VMs from the GUI.

(Thanks, I was aware of the possibility to edit the vmx file, indeed, but I'm constructively lazy. ;-) )

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Almost there - patching libvmwarebase.so.0 fails because it's in its own sub-directory on Linux:

Patching /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwarebase.so.0
open failed Is a directory

You'll find a trivial patch to fix that here: http://paste.pocoo.org/raw/483395/

After applying that, your unlocker works perfectly for me. Including creating VMs from the GUI.

(Thanks, I was aware of the possibility to edit the vmx file, indeed, but I'm constructively lazy. ;-) )

OK I will build some new Linux executables tomorrow. Thanks for helping out.

Zenith432

Zenith432

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 416 posts

You'll find a trivial patch to fix that here

Thanks. I uploaded a fixed version with your patch. FWIW, Donk actually gave me the correct path, but I didn't think .so files were nested like that on Linux, so I removed a component :rolleyes:

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,879 posts

Thanks. I uploaded a fixed version with your patch. FWIW, Donk actually gave me the correct path, but I didn't think .so files were nested like that on Linux, so I removed a component :)

Tested Windows, 64-bit Linux and 32-bit Linux and runs fine. For Windows I am half way through writing a small script to install/uninstall which stops and start any programs that may block the patcher.

bienemaya

bienemaya

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Dear Zenith432,

first of all, many thanks for creating this wonderful patcher for VMware Workstation 8.

I tried the windows patcher to patch WKS8 32bit on Win7 32bit, but the patcher did not find the installed product in the registry. Unlocker.cpp Line 367: RegQueryValueEx[2] failed.

After creating the additional regkey InstallPath64 pointing to the same InstallPath directory the patcher will work and find the files. Maybe you will adjust your code to handle 32bit systems.

For me, vmwarebase.dll was locked and unable to patch (you mentioned it). I close the vmware-tray and execute "net stop vmauthdservice" before and "net start vmauthdservice" after the patch and all things went well.

Best regards

Zenith432

Zenith432

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 416 posts

I tried the windows patcher to patch WKS8 32bit on Win7 32bit, but the patcher did not find the installed product in the registry. Unlocker.cpp Line 367: RegQueryValueEx[2] failed.

After creating the additional regkey InstallPath64 pointing to the same InstallPath directory the patcher will work and find the files. Maybe you will adjust your code to handle 32bit systems.

Fair enough, it's a bug :) I didn't take into account that on 32-bit Windows InstallPath64 isn't there and only need to patch 32-bit binaries. I'll only be able to fix it next week, so in the meantime either your workaround or Donk's unlocker can be used on Windows32.

Fusion 4.0.2 has also been released, so need to check libvmwarebase.dylib there to see if the same patch still applies. I Hope Donk looks into that.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,879 posts

Fair enough, it's a bug :) I didn't take into account that on 32-bit Windows InstallPath64 isn't there and only need to patch 32-bit binaries. I'll only be able to fix it next week, so in the meantime either your workaround or Donk's unlocker can be used on Windows32.

Fusion 4.0.2 has also been released, so need to check libvmwarebase.dylib there to see if the same patch still applies. I Hope Donk looks into that.

Let me have a look at both the Windows and Fusion issues.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,879 posts

Let me have a look at both the Windows and Fusion issues.

Fusion 4.0.2 is fine the patcher runs without any issues.

Vice

Vice

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I've used your patches for Workstation 7 and 8. Your patches work great and I just wanted to say thank you for making such a valuable contribution to the community. Thanks Donk :)

AxeL__17

AxeL__17

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thnx for the great work guys!!!

I'm now on Fusion4/WS8 with both Lion and SnowLeo VMs.

Since SL was from WS7 I installed the 3.1.1 tools and Zenith audio driver;
now that the 4.0.2 tools support also the audio should I uninstall Zenith audio
driver and update the tools?

Ciao

Elproducto

Elproducto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Tried the patch.
Created new virtual machine in vmware fusion 4.0.1
Host OS = lion
Guest = Snow Leopard

Selected snow leopard server as OS, because Snow Leopard is not in the list.

Resulted in a 'fault message':

A fault has occurred causing a virtual CPU to enter a shutdown state.

Can anyone tell us if we need to do something specific when creating the new virtual machine?

Thanks!

I am having the same Issue with the same setup. I have attached the log and config file. Not sure what to try next.

Attached Files

Zenith432

Zenith432

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 416 posts

I fixed this problem and uploaded a new version. The link is in post. It should run properly on 32-bit Windows now. People that artificially created a value called InstallPath64 for the patcher, please remove it.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,879 posts

I am having the same Issue with the same setup. I have attached the log and config file is below. Not sure what to try next.

Please edit the post and remove the VMX file. Attach VMX to the post do not add inline. Also add vmware.log file

luckman212

luckman212

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
I tried to look at the most recent posts but I was a bit confused -- what is the current/latest unlocker for workstation 8 (471780) ? There seem to be a few different versions floating around.... thanks

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,879 posts

I tried to look at the most recent posts but I was a bit confused -- what is the current/latest unlocker for workstation 8 (471780) ? There seem to be a few different versions floating around.... thanks

There are 2 things happening. I released one that was version specific and patched Workstation 8 & Fusion 4. I then worked with Zenith432 who kindly offered to build a generic unlocker that would be less version dependent. This is still work in progress but Zenith432 post 43 has a link to his latest work which as of the last update looks complete. I have written scripts for Windows due to certain things blocking the patch but work is a priority for me at the moment. I will try and fit it in between meetings today.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

luckman,

Keep an eye on the following "How To" guide for all the relevant links on the first post, link below:

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1750634

kup

kup

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
The latest (71) Dev Build of Lion fails to boot on an 'unlocked' Workstation 8.

sebus

sebus

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
No, it does not, 7.1 works fine on WKS8

sebus

vampirnata

vampirnata

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Great work guys! (or gals) :)

Could anyone please confirm if QE/CI works with the latest Guest Additions?

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Great work guys! (or gals) :)

Could anyone please confirm if QE/CI works with the latest Guest Additions?

Sorry in a word no, not on VMware's roadmap currently!

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy