• Please log in to reply
540 replies to this topic

vasi

vasi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Donk! Hope you can get the Linux unlocker out soon :)

Tastes Like

Tastes Like

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Question: I patched my VMware Workstation v7.1.4 running on Win 7 x64 with Albert's VMware 7 unlocker and was running Lion perfectly.

Now I've updated VMware Workstation to the newly released v8. At first Lion wouldn't boot, so I re-patched VMware (8) with the VMware 7 unlocker. Now Lion runs but there's a bit of lag during startup and graphics are a bit laggy as well.

Is it recommended for someone in my position to use the new VMware 8 unlocker (does it offer improvements over the VMware 7 unlocker)?

And if so, should I reinstall VMware 8 before patching with the newer unlocker to reset the binaries back to their vanilla state?

Zenith432

Zenith432

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 468 posts
I made an Unlocker for VMware Fusion 4.x, Workstation 8.x, Player 4.x and ESxi 5.x.

Sources are inside.

[Instructions for Fusion]
Program should be run as root, so open a Terminal and
sudo ./Unlocker.OSX

It patches 3 files
/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vmx
/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vmx-debug
/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vmx-stats

I haven't tested the resulting files because I don't have Fusion installed. I just verified it patches as intended. The Unlocker does not create backups, so if you want to be safe, make backups of these 3 files first. If they don't work, you can also reinstall Fusion, and they'll be replaced with the originals.

Edit [9/25/2011]: Fixed the paths and uploaded a correct version.
Edit [9/26/2011]: Uploaded beefed up version. Run "./Unlocker.OSX -h" for usage message. Supports "-u" option to remove the modifications. Also lets you specify target folder.
Edit [9/26/2011 #2]: Uploaded a Linux version. Binaries named Unlocker.Linux64/32.
Edit [9/27/2011]: Uploaded a fuller patch, including vmwarebase + a Windows version [Unlocker.exe].
Edit [10/2/2011]: Uploaded a fix to pathname search in registry on 32-bit Windows.
Edit [10/3/2011]: Uploaded an ESXi 5 build - Unlocker.ESXi. The ESXi unlocker can't be run directly, as the target files are locked.
Edit [10/4/2011]: Added Donk's scripts to install on ESXi 5.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

I made an Unlocker for VMware Fusion 4.x.

Sources are inside.

sudo ./Unlocker

It patches 3 files
/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vmware-vmx
/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vmware-vmx-debug
/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vmware-vmx-stats

I haven't tested the resulting files because I don't have Fusion installed. I just verified it patches as planned. The Unlocker does not create backups, so if you want to be safe, make backups of these 3 files first. If they don't work, you can also reinstall Fusion, and they'll be replaced with the originals.

Aww was about to a patch :) BTW the files have moved in Fusion 4.0.1 to a folder inside the Fusion.app. I don't have access to my Macbook at the moment but will send new path on when I have it back tomorrow.
Will follow up on PM and send bytes for vmwarebase patching.

np_wski

np_wski

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you very much, Zenith432. I've just tested your patch with Fusion-4.0.1. It's working fine. Pic:

Attached File  Shot_2011_09_26____1.08.37.png   253.87KB   176 downloads

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

I made an Unlocker for VMware Fusion 4.x.

Sources are inside.

sudo ./Unlocker

It patches 3 files
/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vmx
/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vmx-debug
/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vmx-stats

I haven't tested the resulting files because I don't have Fusion installed. I just verified it patches as intended. The Unlocker does not create backups, so if you want to be safe, make backups of these 3 files first. If they don't work, you can also reinstall Fusion, and they'll be replaced with the originals.

Edit: Fixed the paths and uploaded a correct version.

Thanks for that. I have asked Zenith432 to help out on the other platforms, and I am very happy to build scripts to install via backups etc., if that is something everyone would find useful.

patrez

patrez

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you Donk

This works like a miracle!!

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Question: I patched my VMware Workstation v7.1.4 running on Win 7 x64 with Albert's VMware 7 unlocker and was running Lion perfectly.

Now I've updated VMware Workstation to the newly released v8. At first Lion wouldn't boot, so I re-patched VMware (8) with the VMware 7 unlocker. Now Lion runs but there's a bit of lag during startup and graphics are a bit laggy as well.

Is it recommended for someone in my position to use the new VMware 8 unlocker (does it offer improvements over the VMware 7 unlocker)?

And if so, should I reinstall VMware 8 before patching with the newer unlocker to reset the binaries back to their vanilla state?

I am surprised that Albert's V7 Unlocker works with Workstation 8.

The best method is uninstall Workstation 7, install Workstation 8, apply Donk's Workstation 8 Unlocker, this should give you the ability to install and run OS X guestOS's including Lion. Install the latest VMware Tools via darwin.iso current version 4.0.1.

Some performance issues have been raised on the graphics front but no solution available as far as I am aware.

[UPDATE: 26/SEP/2011]
Albert's Workstation 7 Unlocker, does patch some of the executables in Workstation 8 but not vmwarebase

A workaround appears to be available to resolve the graphics performance issues, albeit it needs to be done everytime the guestOS is re-booted, link below:

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1752504
[UPDATE: 26/SEP/2011] (Thanks to Donk and Zenith432 for the update)

krisvdb

krisvdb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Tried the patch.
Created new virtual machine in vmware fusion 4.0.1
Host OS = lion
Guest = Snow Leopard

Selected snow leopard server as OS, because Snow Leopard is not in the list.

Resulted in a 'fault message':

A fault has occurred causing a virtual CPU to enter a shutdown state.

Can anyone tell us if we need to do something specific when creating the new virtual machine?

Thanks!

Zenith432

Zenith432

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 468 posts

Resulted in a 'fault message':
A fault has occurred causing a virtual CPU to enter a shutdown state.

You should post vmx file + vmware.log for such a problem. Also, after the KP if you get a stack trace, a screen capture of the stack-trace would be nice.

Some performance issues have been raised on the graphics front but no solution available as far as I am aware.

There was a solution posted (see the [solved] thread.) It's a bug on the host side that also happens on Windows guests sometimes.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

I am surprised that Albert's V7 Unlocker works with Workstation 8.

The best method is uninstall Workstation 7, install Workstation 8, apply Donk's Workstation 8 Unlocker, this should give you the ability to install and run OS X guestOS's including Lion. Install the latest VMware Tools via darwin.iso current version 4.0.1.

Yes it does patch some of the executables but not vmwarebase.

trentfox

trentfox

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Thank you Donk
This works like a miracle!!

Thanks to both Zenith432 and Donk! Zenith's patch works fine on my system. :) In my case, I'm running Lion on the host machine and using a guest Snow Leopard vm made on the previous version of VMware Fusion. The difference between my result and that of krisvdb may be that he tried to create a new vm. Perhaps the issue is not the unlocker, but the disk or iso he used to create it?

kup

kup

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Donk, is there any way to unlock (more than 8 total per VM) the maximum number of virtual processors in Workstation 8?

Zenith432

Zenith432

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 468 posts
Please note that my latest unlocker upload (see post) contains a Linux version. There are binaries in there compiled for both 64-bit and 32-bit Linux. You can rebuild with the Makefile. It creates a binary called Unlocker.Linux.

This should patch Workstation 8 for Linux. I haven't tested it.

Files patched are
/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx
/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx-debug
/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx-stats

The patch can be reversed by running with the "-u" option.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Donk, is there any way to unlock (more than 8 total per VM) the maximum number of virtual processors in Workstation 8?

Never looked. As far as I know it is actually encoded in the various license files.

Please note that my latest unlocker upload (see post #43) contains a Linux version. There's a binary in there compiled for 64-bit Linux. If you have 32-bit linux, you can rebuild with the Makefile. It creates a binary called Unlocker.Linux.

Files patched are

/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx
/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx-debug
/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx-stats

The patch can be reversed by running with the "-u" option.

Fantastic thanks for the quick work here. I am snowed under with work and so can't test just at the moment but will asap.

gokumba

gokumba

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Please note that my latest unlocker upload (see post #43) contains a Linux version. There's a binary in there compiled for 64-bit Linux. If you have 32-bit linux, you can rebuild with the Makefile. It creates a binary called Unlocker.Linux.

It works in so far as I was able to boot my existing Snow Leopard image in Workstation 8 on Linux. It does *not* allow for creating new Mac OS VMs using the GUI, though. Getting that to work would make your unlocker perfect.

Thanks for your work!

Zenith432

Zenith432

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 468 posts

It works in so far as I was able to boot my existing Snow Leopard image in Workstation 8 on Linux. It does *not* allow for creating new Mac OS VMs using the GUI, though. Getting that to work would make your unlocker perfect.

You can create a new VM of any guest OS type, and then before starting it for the 1st time, manually edit the VMX file and set "guestOS = X" where X is one of darwin,darwin-64,darwin10,darwin10-64,darwin11,darwin11-64.
The ability to view the darwin options in the UI needs a patch to vmwarebase.{dll,so,dylib} - a work in progress. The darwin options work if set in the VMX file.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

You can create a new VM of any guest OS type, and then before starting it for the 1st time, manually edit the VMX file and set "guestOS = X" where X is one of darwin,darwin-64,darwin10,darwin10-64,darwin11,darwin11-64.
The ability to view the darwin options in the UI needs a patch to vmwarebase.{dll,so,dylib} - a work in progress. The darwin options work if set in the VMX file.

FYI - I have given Zenith432 my patches for this dll/so but they are not ideal. Zenith432 is looking at patching the internal data table rather than then code which I currently do, which means it will be more robust for future versions.

Zenith432

Zenith432

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 468 posts
I uploaded a completed version, link is in post.

• Contains a Windows build Unlocker.exe.
  • Patches vmwarebase on Windows, Linux, OSX. So a complete patch - darwin guestoses should show up in UI.
I ended up using Donk's patches for vmwarebase verbatim. As Donk mentioned, this patch may not carry over to future revisions released by VMware, as it relies on certain code sequences in the executables.

Donk provided the paths for the various systems. ESXi is not supported.

The Windows version is fully tested. You may need to manually kill processes locking vmwarebase.dll.
The Fusion version is partially tested - I checked it patches as expected on a test copy of vmwarebase, not an installed copy of Fusion.
The Linux version wasn't tested at all - so good luck with that :rolleyes:

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

I uploaded a completed version, link is in post #43.

• Contains a Windows build Unlocker.exe.
  • Patches vmwarebase on Windows, Linux, OSX. So a complete patch - darwin guestoses should show up in UI.

I ended up using Donk's patches for vmwarebase verbatim. As Donk mentioned, this patch may not carry over to future revisions released by VMware, as it relies on certain code sequences in the executables.

Donk provided the paths for the various systems. ESXi is not supported.

The Windows version is fully tested. You may need to manually kill processes locking vmwarebase.dll.
The Fusion version is partially tested - I checked it patches as expected on a test copy of vmwarebase, not an installed copy of Fusion.
The Linux version wasn't tested at all - so good luck with that :rolleyes:

The Linux build is for 64-bit (Unlocker.Linux64.) For 32-bit linux, build your own with the Makefile there. You need GCC C++ installed.

I'd like to thank Zenith432 for doing this so quickly. Whilst you can run these directly there is some benefit to having some script to disable VMware services before applying the patches. I will knock these out as soon as possible.

One questions - shall we start a new thread for this new way to patch?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy