• Please log in to reply
514 replies to this topic

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

New version 1.2.0 released for latest hosted products. See first post for details.

sparkies

sparkies

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

hi donk, have been using the unlocker in the past with workstation 7 and 8 without any problem (and very grateful for it..). however, just upgraded to workstation 10, did the unlock thing with 1.2.0 but when I then run an existing osx image it seems to boot but then all I see is the grey apple ..  

this is on a windows 7 x 64 machine. latest workstation 10.

is there any info I could provide to help debug this?

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,954 posts

hi donk, have been using the unlocker in the past with workstation 7 and 8 without any problem (and very grateful for it..). however, just upgraded to workstation 10, did the unlock thing with 1.2.0 but when I then run an existing osx image it seems to boot but then all I see is the grey apple ..  

this is on a windows 7 x 64 machine. latest workstation 10.

is there any info I could provide to help debug this?

Firstly have you upgraded the virtual hardware to 10 compatiblity? I would do that first as there was a similar problem going from 8 to 9.

sparkies

sparkies

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Firstly have you upgraded the virtual hardware to 10 compatiblity? I would do that first as there was a similar problem going from 8 to 9.

yes. that's it. thanks for your help! I upgraded to 10 compatibility and it now boots fine.

wurst001

wurst001

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

I upgraded to VMWare Player 6.0, unlocked with unlocker 1.2.0. I recreated the virtual machines and added the images of the SCSI harddisk as SATA disks (SATA is now the default for OS X guests). OS X booted without a hassle. Then I edited the VMX files and disabled the SCSI controller. The virtual SATA harddisks have a queue depth of 32. I couldn't find anything out about the queue depth of the SCSI disks. Also, I wasn't able to disable the IDE controller. So far all my OS X guests run very solid.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Donk,

Thanks for the new unlocker, works as expected, and includes the latest darwin.iso from Fusion 6.

trungpt

trungpt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Also works for old versions of VMware workstation, such as v9.0.2 :D

Zenith432

Zenith432

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 420 posts

That's not important, as it's all virtualized.  I doubt you'd notice a performance difference between the virtual SCSI and virtual SATA.  The queue depth is a feature of SATA AHCI protocol.  It's irrelevant for for SCSI - a completely different protocol.

Just remove all mention of ide.* from the VMX file.

The virtual SATA harddisks have a queue depth of 32. I couldn't find anything out about the queue depth of the SCSI disks. Also, I wasn't able to disable the IDE controller. So far all my OS X guests run very solid.

wurst001

wurst001

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

That's not important, as it's all virtualized.  I doubt you'd notice a performance difference between the virtual SCSI and virtual SATA.  The queue depth is a feature of SATA AHCI protocol.  It's irrelevant for for SCSI - a completely different protocol.

Just remove all mention of ide.* from the VMX file.

Yes of course it's all virtualized. But even in virtualization, it is an advantage if the guest OS can send multiple I/O request to the virtual harddisk (and thus to the host OS) without waiting for the previous ones to complete. This feature is available only with SATA and maybe SCSI - but not IDE. I'm pretty sure there is an equivalent of the queue depth for SCSI drives. But I couldn't find out if it's larger or smaller than the one for the SATA drives. Since SATA is the new default, I hoped SATA would be the best choice performance wise.

Removing anything ide.* related from the VMX file doesn't really solve the problem. The IDE controller still appears in lspci. Nevermind, it's not a big issue.

Zenith432

Zenith432

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 420 posts

Did it turn out to be?

Since SATA is the new default, I hoped SATA would be the best choice performance wise.

Titokhan

Titokhan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Awesome!!

Now its time to change the thread title.

:angel_not:

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,954 posts

Thanks Donk for the tip although by adding that line in the vmx does not change anything, the serial keeps being the one used by Vmware.

Have a look here http://www.insanelym...-mac-in-vmware/. Decided to start a new thread and track this issue separately.

cyberghoser1

cyberghoser1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Have a look here http://www.insanelym...-mac-in-vmware/. Decided to start a new thread and track this issue separately.

Yup that worked thanks, well messages is not able to login, even with a freshly apple id but i know its not for that you made it, but nice to have spoofed real mac into vmware, gratz!

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Just a quick heads up, with the recent release of OS X 10.9 GM Seed taking Mavericks to Build 13A598 and also a supplemental update to OS X 10.8.5 taking Mountain Lion to Build 12F45, I can confirm both are working fine in Workstation 10 / Player 6.

savestheday

savestheday

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Anyone tried the OS X 10.9 GM in ESXi 5.1 U1?  I can't get it to boot from the InstallESD.dmg.  10.8.5 had no problems booting from InstallESD.dmg on the same box.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,954 posts

Anyone tried the OS X 10.9 GM in ESXi 5.1 U1?  I can't get it to boot from the InstallESD.dmg.  10.8.5 had no problems booting from InstallESD.dmg on the same box.

It is not possible to boot from the DMG in ML. It has to be converted first, even Fusion does this. I am at a conference for a couple of days and will look into it when I get back.

savestheday

savestheday

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

It is not possible to boot from the DMG in ML. It has to be converted first, even Fusion does this. I am at a conference for a couple of days and will look into it when I get back.

Ah ok....it says in this post that they do boot DMG:

http://www.insanelym...6/#entry1936143

I am pretty sure I was able to with 10.8.5.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

savestheday,

Sorry if my post was confusing, I have updated for clarification, OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) GM Seed and the two previous Developer Preview versions cannot be installed from the extracted DMG or converted ISO images or upgraded from a previous version of OS X using either of these images. Installation requires either a boot disk creating from the hidden Basesystem.dmg see a link to the relevant topic below:

http://www.insanelym...nd-109-dp1-yet/

Alternatively just run the upgrade from the downloaded "Install OS X Mavericks" from the App Store.

thecrazy

thecrazy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

This application allows you to create the boot pendrive: http://liondiskmaker.com/

You must copy the GM in the application folder for the program to detect it on startup.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

thecrazy,

I have Lion Disk Maker bookmarked in my favourites, but had not picked up on the new Mavericks beta, thanks for the heads up.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy