Workstation 8/9/10, Player 4/5/6 and Fusion 4/5/6 Mac OS X Unlocker

Donk

543 posts in this topic

Awesome. Thanks MSoK

NSCXP,

I have updated my "How To" topic with the new versions of the Create Mavericks and Create Yosemite Installer script files, see link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290949-how-to-install-os-x-10x-snow-leopard-lion-mountain-lion-mavericks-and-yosemite-in-vmware-workstation-10-or-player-6/?p=1937757

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the patch on the new VMWare Workstation 11 preview?

I tried to boot my Mac VM on it and it starts up but just hangs on the Apple bootup splash screen with the SWOD.

Doesn't work the code changed.

• 2 weeks later...

Will The unlocker be updated soon? 'cause vmware workstation 11 will be released this month!

Will The unlocker be updated soon? 'cause vmware workstation 11 will be released this month!

Possibly. The code path is now different enough that a completely new unlocker would be required. I recently re-wrote the ESXi version in Python so it would be simpler to run in ESXi's shell. If I do release something it is likely to be Python code. Would anyone have a problem with that? It does mean running Python on the machine. For OS X and Linux that should not be a big deal as already supplied with OS, but for Windows it would need to be installed.

However I have been doing this work for 7 years now and I am not sure I want to continue with it, and have thought about retiring from the scene. (I have a lot of work commitments plus other personal projects I want to tackle) I will soon decide on a way forward but for now don't upgrade if you want to keep OS X guests running.

• Like 1

Would anyone have a problem with that? It does mean running Python on the machine. For OS X and Linux that should not be a big deal as already supplied with OS, but for Windows it would need to be installed.

Donk. Thank you for the great work you've done during all version changes of VMware workstation and ESX! Very appreciated!

It would be great to have unlocker working for workstation 11! Python is no problem at all and installing it while being able to run again OS X on workstation 11 is no big deal!

Please continue your great work!

Donk. Thank you for the great work you've done during all version changes of VMware workstation and ESX! Very appreciated!

It would be great to have unlocker working for workstation 11! Python is no problem at all and installing it while being able to run again OS X on workstation 11 is no big deal!

Please continue your great work!

Thanks for the kind words. I have made some progress on the work I did on Tech Previews, and have the basics of a working unlocker in Python. However probably at least a week's worth of work to finish and test, and there may well be some limitations due to the underlying changes in the VMware code.

I was woundering if vmware unlocker is needed for audi in os x as i am uprgadingmy vm to yosemite and if you don't continue vmware unlocker perhaps you could upload your latest code. Thanks for making vmware unlocker i use vmware for os x vm's because i can get ice graphics and such which i can't/couldn't in virtualbox VBox s my favorite virtulization platform but there is no graphics fix's for it acept to manully change the resolution but no accelerated graphics :( ).

I'm using Linux most of the time. Python is installed and wouldn't be a problem.

On Windows however, I usually don't have python and installing it for something tiny as the unlocker would be a major pain in the butt. Well, I usually do have cygwin installed, so if the unlocker would run under cygwin that would be a plus (cygwin doesn't come with python by default, however).

Well it could be in the readme and it could say if you are on windows install python first.

Python sounds like a great idea.  You could use something like http://www.py2exe.org/ to distribute an executable for Windows users who don't want to install python.

That was my thinking. I will distribute it with wither a minimal Python in the unlocker folder, or package it with p2exe or pyinstaller. The other option is to compile it with IronPython. The code is much smaller and easier to maintain than C++, where I have to compile different versions for thew various platforms.

• 3 months later...

[FEATURE REQUEST] Dear unlock-all team,

I would like to know if it was possible to add the following feature to unlock-all : guest-OS auto-resize w.r.t. VMware window size.

Indeed, it would be interesting to automatically set the resolution of the guest OS with respect to the window size of VMware as done with usual guest Linux distros or Microsoft Windows OSs. I am not very sure of how to do it, but there would need some changes in tools/darwin.iso. Maybe a deamon running on OS X that monitors VMware window size. About setting resolution on guest OS X, there exists a command-line program called SetResX that sets resolution of OS X system with a simple command of the kind :

$ SetResX -w 800 -h 600

Regards,