• Please log in to reply
525 replies to this topic

ClassANetwork

ClassANetwork

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hello, this is my first post on this forum.

I have a few questions about running 10.7.5 in VMWare Workstation 9.0.1

I want to run Mac OS X 10.7.5, but I cannot find an unlocker or a VT-x Bypasser and unlocker for this version. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Right now I'm running an Intel Pentium T4500M with 8GB of RAM. I have a Core 2 Duo T9600 coming in the mail in a few days, which will have the VT-x instruction set built into the CPU. Would it be easier to have the VT-x bypasser and not worry about it on the new CPU or should I just wait for the VT-x enabled CPU?

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Hello, this is my first post on this forum.

I have a few questions about running 10.7.5 in VMWare Workstation 9.0.1

I want to run Mac OS X 10.7.5, but I cannot find an unlocker or a VT-x Bypasser and unlocker for this version. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Right now I'm running an Intel Pentium T4500M with 8GB of RAM. I have a Core 2 Duo T9600 coming in the mail in a few days, which will have the VT-x instruction set built into the CPU. Would it be easier to have the VT-x bypasser and not worry about it on the new CPU or should I just wait for the VT-x enabled CPU?

You will need a CPU with VT-x to run OS X in Workstation 9.0 then use the unlocker.

ClassANetwork

ClassANetwork

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

You will need a CPU with VT-x to run OS X in Workstation 9.0 then use the unlocker.

Thanks

Edit: Unlocker worked great. Looking forward to getting this installed.

Aaron44126

Aaron44126

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Works with Workstation 10.

Wish they'd stop with the yearly upgrades, it's a bit expensive.  :-P

(Prior to version 8 they would offer a paid upgrade more like every two years, with a free "minor upgrade" in between...)

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Works with Workstation 10.

Wish they'd stop with the yearly upgrades, it's a bit expensive.  :-P

(Prior to version 8 they would offer a paid upgrade more like every two years, with a free "minor upgrade" in between...)

Actually it doesn't patch vmwarebase so no Apple in the guest OS dialog. Existing guests will run OK though as vmware-vmx is patched correctly. There is a new pattern I need to add to the patch, however I am about to go on holiday for 2 weeks so it will be sometime before I get on to it.

Vitix

Vitix

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Actually it doesn't patch vmwarebase so no Apple in the guest OS dialog. Existing guests will run OK though as vmware-vmx is patched correctly. There is a new pattern I need to add to the patch, however I am about to go on holiday for 2 weeks so it will be sometime before I get on to it.

Thank you for support :)

eranj

eranj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Does it work with VMware workstation 10? Is it OK to install it?

thegmanosx

thegmanosx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Try it and find out can't see why not 

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

eranj,

As Donk has said the current unlocker v1.1.1 works with Workstation 10 but only patches vmware-vmx which allows an existing OS X virtual machine to run in Workstation 10, however you cannot select OS X as an option to create a new virtual machine as the unlocker currently cannot patch the vmwarebase. The code has changed and in Donk's words "a new pattern" will need to added to the patch and a new unlocker released.

ThinkpadFan

ThinkpadFan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

I hope VMware WS 10 will finally allow stable (disk) I/O in OS X... I'm pretty tired of hanging IO almost entirely freezing up the OSX VM. :-(

As always: thank you very much for your continued efforts, Donk.

And thanks in advance for keeping this updated. :-)

wurst001

wurst001

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

It's good to hear you're working on it. Enjoy your holiday.

eranj

eranj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

eranj,

As Donk has said the current unlocker v1.1.1 works with Workstation 10 but only patches vmware-vmx which allows an existing OS X virtual machine to run in Workstation 10, however you cannot select OS X as an option to create a new virtual machine as the unlocker currently cannot patch the vmwarebase. The code has changed and in Donk's words "a new pattern" will need to added to the patch and a new unlocker released.

Does it work the same on VMware player?

wurst001

wurst001

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

I just discovered, that there's no problem with using DMG images directly without converting them to ISO first. This is at least true for vmware player 5.0.2 on Linux.

There's just one small issue with the GUI, namely that the file chooser doesn't show *.dmg files by default. So if the unlocker could enable that as well, that would be perfect!

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

wurst001,

I have never tried the Linux version, but the Windows versions of Workstation 9.0.2 and Player 5.0.2 do not support installation from .dmg, which is not really a surprise bearing in mind OS X is not a supported VM for Workstation and Player regardless of platform, whereas ESXi 5.1 and Fusion 5.0.3 support direct install from .dmg, as they can both be run on Apple hardware and therefore comply with Apple's EULA for virtualisation of OS X.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

eranj,

In a word, yes the unlocker v1.1.1 works the same in Player 6 as it does in Workstation 10, i.e. existing OS X VM's continue to work fine, but you do not have the ability to create a new OS X VM from the install wizard, pending a new version of the unlocker.

UPDATE: Thanks to some quick work by Zenith432, who after all was responsible for the patches used in Donk's unlocker, you can select OS X from the "New Virtual Machine..." wizard, see below:

Zenith432

Zenith432

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 428 posts

Until Donk sorts out the unlocker for Workstation 10, attached is a patched vmwarebase.dll that unlocks the OS X options in the OS menus.  It's a 1-byte patch.  Windows only.

Attached Files

kup

kup

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Thank you, Zenith. :)

trungpt

trungpt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

I'm staying with v9 for a while until Win 8.1 is out with v10.0.x from VMware :D

cyberghoser1

cyberghoser1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Wow, the virtualization is actually great, using 10.7.5 fully updated, playing youtube videos nicely, everything is smooth. Had bad experience with Virtualbox but Vmware + latest vmware tools for Mac OS X makes it like a real desktop, will try workstation 10 later as i dont see what are the benefits for mac os as guest for now.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

While we wait for the release of a new unlocker, I have put a copy of the latest VMware Tools for OS X (darwin.iso) from Fusion 6.0.0 in the Downloads section see link below:

http://www.insanelym...os-x-darwiniso/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy