Workstation 8/9/10, Player 4/5/6 and Fusion 4/5/6 Mac OS X Unlocker

Donk

543 posts in this topic

i want to thank you for this usefull topic. 

tryed to everything the "right way" but i have a little problem: i get this message while booting mountain lion. 

"The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. Power off or reset the virtual machine".

i tryed ressetting/ shutting off-on but i still get the same error message.

i'm using VMware 10.0 patched with the 1.2.0 unlocker.

What CPU do you have?

• 1 month later...

Hello,

after installation VMware Workstation 10.0.1 on my Windows 8.1 PC (Intel VT-X is supported, according to the Intel Processor Identification Utility) and installing Donks Unlocker 1.20, I tried to install MAC OS X Mavericks on a freshly created VM, selecting "Mac OS X 10.9" as Guest OS.

But I stopped already when trying to start that VM - with the error "OSX is not supported with binary translation error" :(

How can I solve this error to successfully perform a fresh install of Mavericks?

Setting the Guest OS to anything else should help, I read - but to what?

Please help.

*Edit*

I found the solution: In BIOS, VT-X was already enabled, as was Trusted Execution Protection (or a similar setting in BIOS). After I disabled that protection setting, the binary translation eroor when booting up the OS X guest was gone and I had no problem of installing Mac OS X successfully.

Maybe this solution can help other users that are alsso facing the binary translation error although VT-X is enabled in the BIOS of the host machine.

Thanks for the information found in this thread. Now I have up and running Mavericks running in the VMWare Fusion. 

Overall, with vmware-tools, SVGA-II and guestd-update. The user experience is much bettern than I had with the VirtualBox 4.3.6.

But, I still can't get iCloud and iMessage fixed on either VMWare or VirtualBox Mavericks VMs. This is quite important for my use case.

I want to send iMessage from the VM instead of typing on the screen of the phone. 

If anybody knows a sure solution, Please share.

Update 1: I did my Google part, found a tool called "iMessage Enabler". Don't know if anybody has experience with it for Mavericks VM?

Update 2: The iCloud was only partially signed in. "Mail" and "Notes" can't be activated. I changed the network adaptor from NAT to Bridged. Now, both "Mail" and "Notes" are active. But still got the error message for iMessage (see attached screenshot). Also, Map application doesn't work.

Thanks in advance!

post-52590-0-61635900-1393211164_thumb.png

Thanks for the information found in this thread. Now I have up and running Mavericks running in the VMWare Fusion. 

Overall, with vmware-tools, SVGA-II and guestd-update. The user experience is much bettern than I had with the VirtualBox 4.3.6.

But, I still can't get iCloud and iMessage fixed on either VMWare or VirtualBox Mavericks VMs. This is quite important for my use case.

I want to send iMessage from the VM instead of typing on the screen of the phone. 

If anybody knows a sure solution, Please share.

Update 1: I did my Google part, found a tool called "iMessage Enabler". Don't know if anybody has experience with it for Mavericks VM?

Update 2: The iCloud was only partially signed in. "Mail" and "Notes" can't be activated. I changed the network adaptor from NAT to Bridged. Now, both "Mail" and "Notes" are active. But still got the error message for iMessage (see attached screenshot). Also, Map application doesn't work.

Thanks in advance!

Messages  actually does not work on Fusion on Mac. VMware did state they think it is a bug. As for Maps you need QE/CI for hat and the video drivers for VMware and VirtualBox do not have that capability.

Messages  actually does not work on Fusion on Mac. VMware did state they think it is a bug. As for Maps you need QE/CI for hat and the video drivers for VMware and VirtualBox do not have that capability.

Thanks Donk! What about VMWare Player 6 and VMWare WorkStation 10.0.1 on Windows 7?

Thanks Donk! What about VMWare Player 6 and VMWare WorkStation 10.0.1 on Windows 7?

salado,

Exactly the same issues, as the vast majority of the code is shared between Player 6, Fusion 6, Workstation 10 and ESXi 5.5.

salado,

Exactly the same issues, as the vast majority of the code is shared between Player 6, Fusion 6, Workstation 10 and ESXi 5.5.

So there is no fix at this point for iMessage on VMWare family. Does the "iMessage Enabler" help? 

VirtualBox has the same issue. I will keep looking and send update here.

So there is no fix at this point for iMessage on VMWare family. Does the "iMessage Enabler" help? 

VirtualBox has the same issue. I will keep looking and send update here.

You are welcome to try but it changes lots of things in the VM and installs Chameleon boot loader so I for one won't be trying it. I have some new ideas on how to modify the nvram variables which appear to be important to the iCloud system. If you want to try it out let me know. However, I have broke too many new Apple IDs to want to carry on testing this myself.

Thanks Donk. Yes, I'd like to try the NVRAM changes. Please let me know the instructions. 

An update on iMessage Enabler:

1. Before install iMessage Enabler, I got the iCloud partially working without modify anything.
  2. The OSX package of iMessage Enabler installed without any errors. 
  3. Applied the script to modify the VMX configuration file, the VM crashes at boot time (The bootloader won't work).
  4. Restored the VMX configuration file, the booting process hangs forever at grey Apple logo.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently running VMare 10.0.1 build -1379776 on Ubuntu Linux 13.04.

I have an OSX 10.6.8 running and would like to get a 10.9.x running.

I have tried upgrading the 10.6.8 and all went well, the VM reboots but I am right back at the 10.6.8 version.

It's like the 10.9.x upgrade is not completeing fro some reason.

Any help would be appreceiated.

Or, is there a  thread some one can point me to that explains how to create and install a 10.9.x iso

Thanks

Peter

Intel i7-4770 (LGA1150)

ASRock Z87 mother board

Thanks

Peter

I am currently running VMare 10.0.1 build -1379776 on Ubuntu Linux 13.04.

I have an OSX 10.6.8 running and would like to get a 10.9.x running.

I have tried upgrading the 10.6.8 and all went well, the VM reboots but I am right back at the 10.6.8 version.

It's like the 10.9.x upgrade is not completeing fro some reason.

Any help would be appreceiated.

Or, is there a  thread some one can point me to that explains how to create and install a 10.9.x iso

Thanks

Peter

Intel i7-4770 (LGA1150)

ASRock Z87 mother board

Thanks

Peter

Peter,

Have a look at the second post in the following thread it has instructions and a script for creating a Mavericks DMG, which will work in Workstation 10, just change from ISO to any file and point your DVD/CD at the DMG file.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290949-how-to-install-os-x-10x-snow-leopard-lion-mountain-lion-and-mavericks-in-vmware-workstation-910-or-player-56/?p=1936143

• Like 1

Version 1.3.0 uploaded. Fixes are for ESXi only. 

Great work thanks Donk, same as Version 1.2.0 as far as Workstation, Player and Fusion are concerned, just bundled for neatness with the updates for patching ESXi.

Specs;

Windows 7 64bit, VMware 10.0.1 build-1379776, OS X 10.9.0 & Unlocker 1.2 or 1.3

I had this working nicely for a while with no problems.. all VM's worked- Linux, OSx, etc..

Now when starting any VM inside VMWare I get pop up error;

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The following error occurred when starting VMware Workstation. 

W32AuthConnectionLaunch: WriteFile filed (code 6).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is caused by Unlocker Ver 1.2 or ver 1.3

Specificly vmware-vmx.exe file that the unlocker modifies.

I have uninstalled and deleted all folders in Vmware and reinstalled. Everything works except OSX - Just get the spinning boot symbol

. Then run Unlocker (install script) as a Admin in safemode. Restart system and VMware or VMPlayer get the top error message again.

When replacing it with original vmware-vmx.exe (before) running unlocker, it works again.

Anyone else having problems?

debug-install.txtdebug-uninstall.txt

Specs;

Windows 7 64bit, VMware 10.0.1 build-1379776, OS X 10.9.0 & Unlocker 1.2 or 1.3

I had this working nicely for a while with no problems.. all VM's worked- Linux, OSx, etc..

Now when starting any VM inside VMWare I get pop up error;

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The following error occurred when starting VMware Workstation. 

W32AuthConnectionLaunch: WriteFile filed (code 6).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is caused by Unlocker Ver 1.2 or ver 1.3

Specificly vmware-vmx.exe file that the unlocker modifies.

I have uninstalled and deleted all folders in Vmware and reinstalled. Everything works except OSX - Just get the spinning boot symbol

. Then run Unlocker (install script) as a Admin in safemode. Restart system and VMware or VMPlayer get the top error message again.

When replacing it with original vmware-vmx.exe (before) running unlocker, it works again.

Anyone else having problems?

Well this is usually due to the VMware Authorization Service not running. All the scripts do are stop and then start it. Are you running as Administrator when you carry out the unlock? 

I have tried to re-create the error but never seen it before. Attached are two files that you should rename to debug-install.cmd and debug-uninstall.cmd. Can you try them out and post the output please?

Thank you so much for your help and your input. I really appreciate it!

Yes, I run cmd prompt as Administrator; however there always seems to be a lock on vmware-vmx.exe , I have to restart in safe mode and rerun the patch.

Here is the result of running script as Admin(not safe mode) ;

C:\>C:\unlock-all-v130\windows\debug-install.cmd
VMware Unlocker 1.3.0
========================
© Dave Parsons 2011-14
Administrator PRIVILEGES Detected!

C:\>if AMD64 == AMD64 (set KeyName="HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMware Workstation" )  else (set KeyName="HKLM\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware Workstation" )

C:\>for /F "tokens=2* delims=    " %A in ('REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMware Workstation" /v InstallPath') do set InstallPath=%B

C:\>set InstallPath=Workstation

C:\>set InstallPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\

C:\>echo VMware is installed at: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\
VMware is installed at: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\

C:\>echo Stopping VMware services...
Stopping VMware services...

C:\>net stop VMwareHostd
The VMware Workstation Server service is stopping.
The VMware Workstation Server service was stopped successfully.

C:\>net stop VMAuthdService

The VMware Authorization Service service was stopped successfully.

C:\>net stop VMUSBArbService

The VMware USB Arbitration Service service was stopped successfully.

C:\>taskkill /F /IM vmware-tray.exe
SUCCESS: The process "vmware-tray.exe" with PID 168 has been terminated.

C:\>echo Patching...
Patching...

C:\>pushd C:\unlock-all-v130\windows\

C:\unlock-all-v130\windows>Unlocker.exe
Patching C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx.exe
CreateFile failed Access is denied.

C:\unlock-all-v130\windows>xcopy /F /Y ..\tools\darwin.* "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\"
C:\unlock-all-v130\tools\darwin.iso -> C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\darwin.iso
C:\unlock-all-v130\tools\darwin.iso.sig -> C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\darwin.iso.sig
2 File(s) copied

C:\unlock-all-v130\windows>popd

C:\>echo Starting VMware services...
Starting VMware services...

C:\>net start VMAuthdService
The VMware Authorization Service service is starting.
The VMware Authorization Service service was started successfully.

C:\>net start VMwareHostd
The VMware Workstation Server service is starting.
The VMware Workstation Server service was started successfully.

C:\>echo Finished!
Finished!
C:\>

What I had to do in the past to be able to run unlock without errors, is run it as Admin in SafeMode and it worked for a while.

Now when restarting in SafeMode and trying to run the debug install script AS ADMINISTRATOR it give me this output;

VMware Unlocker 1.3.0
========================
© Dave Parsons 2011-14
######## ########  ########   #######  ########
##       ##     ## ##     ## ##     ## ##     ##
######   ########  ########  ##     ## ########
##       ##   ##   ##   ##   ##     ## ##   ##
##       ##    ##  ##    ##  ##     ## ##    ##
######## ##     ## ##     ##  #######  ##     ##

####### ERROR: ADMINISTRATOR PRIVILEGES REQUIRED #########
This script must be run as administrator to work properly!
If you're seeing this after clicking on a start menu icon,
then right click on the shortcut and select
"Run As Administrator".
##########################################################

Press any key to continue . . .

Note: I did mess with file permissions for other issues in the past and might have messed something up.But, in safe mode as Administrator , ran the debug script as Admin and even gave all users full permission to x86 folder. Still no go.

What I had to do in the past to be able to run unlock without errors, is run it as Admin in SafeMode and it worked for a while.

Now when restarting in SafeMode and trying to run the debug install script AS ADMINISTRATOR it give me this output;

VMware Unlocker 1.3.0
========================
© Dave Parsons 2011-14
######## ########  ########   #######  ########
######   ########  ########  ##     ## ########
##       ##   ##   ##   ##   ##     ## ##   ##
##       ##    ##  ##    ##  ##     ## ##    ##
######## ##     ## ##     ##  #######  ##     ##

####### ERROR: ADMINISTRATOR PRIVILEGES REQUIRED #########
This script must be run as administrator to work properly!
If you're seeing this after clicking on a start menu icon,
then right click on the shortcut and select
"Run As Administrator".
##########################################################

Press any key to continue . . .

Note: I did mess with file permissions for other issues in the past and might have messed something up.But, in safe mode as Administrator , ran the debug script as Admin and even gave all users full permission to x86 folder. Still no go.

Well I guess it is something environmental with permissions. The installation folder for VMware needs to be writeable by Administrator for the unlocker. Also VMware services need to run under an account with Admin privileges. Not sure I can do much more here as the changes to vmware-vmx files are very simple and do not touch anything else in the way of authorisations to run VMware.

One last idea - start windows in regular mode. Open an elevated command prompt in the windows folder and just run unlocker.exe and tell me what happens.

Ok, I changed Security settings for VMware folder to all account write / modify access. Was able to run Debug install script but vmware-vmx.exe still failed for some reason unknown. Could you email me the modified file that fails? This might do the trick.. thanks

C:\unlock-all-v130\windows>debug-install.cmd
VMware Unlocker 1.3.0
========================
© Dave Parsons 2011-14
Administrator PRIVILEGES Detected!

C:\unlock-all-v130\windows>if AMD64 == AMD64 (set KeyName="HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMware Workstation" )  else (set KeyName="HKLM\SOFTWARE\VMware
ation" )

C:\unlock-all-v130\windows>for /F "tokens=2* delims=     " %A in ('REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMware Workstation" /v InstallPath') do set

C:\unlock-all-v130\windows>set InstallPath=Workstation

C:\unlock-all-v130\windows>set InstallPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\

C:\unlock-all-v130\windows>echo VMware is installed at: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\
VMware is installed at: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\

C:\unlock-all-v130\windows>echo Stopping VMware services...
Stopping VMware services...

C:\unlock-all-v130\windows>net stop VMwareHostd
The VMware Workstation Server service is stopping.
The VMware Workstation Server service was stopped successfully.

C:\unlock-all-v130\windows>net stop VMAuthdService
The VMware Authorization Service service is stopping.
The VMware Authorization Service service was stopped successfully.

C:\unlock-all-v130\windows>net stop VMUSBArbService

The VMware USB Arbitration Service service was stopped successfully.

C:\unlock-all-v130\windows>taskkill /F /IM vmware-tray.exe
ERROR: The process "vmware-tray.exe" not found.

C:\unlock-all-v130\windows>echo Patching...
Patching...

C:\unlock-all-v130\windows>pushd C:\unlock-all-v130\windows\

C:\unlock-all-v130\windows>Unlocker.exe
Patching C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx.exe
File mapped @022C0000 length 17972816
Found OSK0 @ 0294F365
Found OSK1 @ 0294F395
Found SRVR @ 02B91536
Patching C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx-debug.exe
File mapped @022C0000 length 22561360
Found OSK0 @ 02A4167D
Found OSK1 @ 02A416AD
Found SRVR @ 02C80712
Patching C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx-stats.exe
File mapped @022C0000 length 20591696
Found OSK0 @ 02965BBD
Found OSK1 @ 02965BED
Found SRVR @ 02BABA1E
Patching C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64\vmware-vmx.exe

Patching C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64\vmware-vmx-debug.exe
File mapped @022C0000 length 24688208
Found OSK0 @ 02BB5C55
Found OSK1 @ 02BB5C8D
Found SRVR @ 02E8BB06
Patching C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64\vmware-vmx-stats.exe
File mapped @022C0000 length 22396496
Found OSK0 @ 02A83565
Found OSK1 @ 02A8359D
Found SRVR @ 02D515A6
Patching C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmwarebase.dll
File mapped @022C0000 length 4774480
Found OS entry @ 02656788
Found OS entry @ 026567C0
Found OS entry @ 026567F8
Found OS entry @ 02656830
Found OS entry @ 02656868
Found OS entry @ 026568A0
Found OS entry @ 026568D8
Found OS entry @ 02656910
Found OS entry @ 026B0FE8
Found OS entry @ 026B1020
Found OS entry @ 026B1058
Found OS entry @ 026B1090
Found OS entry @ 026B10C8
Found OS entry @ 026B1100
Found OS entry @ 026B1138
Found OS entry @ 026B1170

C:\unlock-all-v130\windows>xcopy /F /Y ..\tools\darwin.* "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\"
C:\unlock-all-v130\tools\darwin.iso -> C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\darwin.iso
C:\unlock-all-v130\tools\darwin.iso.sig -> C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\darwin.iso.sig
2 File(s) copied

C:\unlock-all-v130\windows>popd

C:\unlock-all-v130\windows>echo Starting VMware services...
Starting VMware services...

C:\unlock-all-v130\windows>net start VMAuthdService
The VMware Authorization Service service is starting.
The VMware Authorization Service service was started successfully.

C:\unlock-all-v130\windows>net start VMwareHostd
The VMware Workstation Server service is starting.
The VMware Workstation Server service was started successfully.

C:\unlock-all-v130\windows>echo Finished!
Finished!
C:\unlock-all-v130\windows>

Ok, I changed Security settings for VMware folder to all account write / modify access. Was able to run Debug install script but vmware-vmx.exe still failed for some reason unknown. Could you email me the modified file that fails? This might do the trick.. thanks

Do you have a VM running?