Workstation 8/9/10, Player 4/5/6 and Fusion 4/5/6 Mac OS X Unlocker

Donk

543 posts in this topic

Wow, the virtualization is actually great, using 10.7.5 fully updated, playing youtube videos nicely, everything is smooth. Had bad experience with Virtualbox but Vmware + latest vmware tools for Mac OS X makes it like a real desktop, will try workstation 10 later as i dont see what are the benefits for mac os as guest for now.

Until Donk sorts out the unlocker for Workstation 10, attached is a patched vmwarebase.dll that unlocks the OS X options in the OS menus.  It's a 1-byte patch.  Windows only.

Thanks a lot! Works really nice and even allows me to use 10.9.

So far, copy+paste works nicely with Fusion v6 tools installed (using Win7), disk io seems at least faster, not sure if the USB3-related issues I had in the past will be resolved now.

PS: And woohoo, I can finally boot from an external usb3 device!

(That worked with VMware ws v9 on Windows 8, but not on Windows 7. Works with workstation v10 on win7 finally.)

Yay!  :)

PPS: (a/k/a edit #2) I can't tell you enough about how happy I am about disk i/o so far. Despite the fact that selecting SATA for the external device fails ("error") and I selected SCSI instead for the external USB device, things are looking pretty good (and fast)! Thank you all so very much! Finally working isn't as painful as it used to be...

I'm staying with v9 for a while until Win 8.1 is out with v10.0.x from VMware :D

Win 8.1 is already out and about, and runs inside VMware 9.0.2 and 10 as a guest OS.  However, attempting to upgrade from Win 8 as a host OS bombs midway :surprised:

Edit (11 Sept): Never mind, problem was an installed app that was disrupting the upgrade.  Win 8 -> Win 8.1 upgrade works.

When I click on the link I get an error message saying:

'Sorry, you don't have permission for that!'

I have been using and being a member of this forum since 2008. I don't understand why I can't download the file.

NSCXP2005,

I know you have been around a while, not sure why you are having the problem, I will see it I can update the entry in the Download section, in the meantime use the following link to the VMware repository and download the .tar directly:

http://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/fusion/6.0.0/1296151/packages/

Cheers,

MSoK.

Win 8.1 is already out and about, and runs inside VMware 9.0.2 and 10 as a guest OS.  However, attempting to upgrade from Win 8 as a host OS bombs midway :surprised:

Running Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64-bit as my primary OS without issue, with Workstation 9.0.2 and as of today Workstation 10.0.0 with OS X 10.8.5 and OS X 10.9 DP6 all running OK. Thanks to Donk and Zenith432 for the Unlocker v1.1.1, the vmwarebase.dll patch and the latest darwin.iso from Fusion 6.0.0, roll on ESXi 5.5!

Sorry, this was not meant as a boast, just a heads up of where we are up to, with all the recent releases and previews from Microsoft, VMware and let's not forget the reason for this topic Apple!

Thanks mate

Not a problem, we legends have to stick together, LoL!

P.S. Can I add you as a friend?

• Like 2

Is it just me or is OS X (10.8.4 with fusion v6 tools on WS 10 host w/w7 x64) a lot faster, both disk I/O as well as graphics display?

Still no QE/CI, but it sure feels as fast as if it was there… :)

Seems faster yeah but imessage enabler makes the vm go crazy, no sound, mouse problems (fixed eventually) launchpad takes ages to load, well for me at least

Seems faster yeah but imessage enabler makes the vm go crazy, no sound, mouse problems (fixed eventually) launchpad takes ages to load, well for me at least

Please keep in mind that iMessage enabler installs a boot loader and disables the "mac OS X" of booting this patch allows you for your vm;

it basically makes your vm a hackintosh with a specially prepared smbios to fake a mac.

The better way would be to patch the bios VMware uses to boot the vm and fake being a mac there.

Please keep in mind that iMessage enabler installs a boot loader and disables the "mac OS X" of booting this patch allows you for your vm;

it basically makes your vm a hackintosh with a specially prepared smbios to fake a mac.

The better way would be to patch the bios VMware uses to boot the vm and fake being a mac there.

Yeah of course I know that. Well I can live without iMessage at all, thanks for the suggestions though.

Yeah of course I know that. Well I can live without iMessage at all, thanks for the suggestions though.

Sorry for possibly being presumptuous in my post. ;)

Regarding the custom bios: I'm not sure if this applies to EFI boot vm systems as well, but if you edit the VMX file, the parameter would be

bios440.filename = "mybios.rom"

I guess any further information would be too off-topic and not helpful enough, but I'm sure GIYF.

Just go and edit the VMX file and add the following:

serialnumber = "G88451015J4"

Do not use any of the other enablers if you have used the unlocker as it can screw up the working OSX code in VMware. You can try to find other valid serial numbers posted on the forums in smbios.plist files.

Until Donk sorts out the unlocker for Workstation 10, attached is a patched vmwarebase.dll that unlocks the OS X options in the OS menus.  It's a 1-byte patch.  Windows only.

Attached are patched files for Linux versions of Workstation 10. Using sudo you will need to copy the correct file to /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwarebase.so.0/ replacing the original file. I suggest you back it up first as there is no remove patch command here.

I also have new patterns for unlocker, but am going to wait until I get my hands on ESXi 5.5. 

Still on holiday and will be a few more days before I will be answering questions. This is a one off access to be able to upload what I had sitting on my laptop.

linux.zip

• Like 1

Just go and edit the VMX file and add the following:

serialnumber = "G88451015J4"

Do not use any of the other enablers if you have used the unlocker as it can screw up the working OSX code in VMware. You can try to find other valid serial numbers posted on the forums in smbios.plist files.

Attached are patched files for Linux versions of Workstation 10. Using sudo you will need to copy the correct file to /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwarebase.so.0/ replacing the original file. I suggest you back it up first as there is no remove patch command here.

I also have new patterns for unlocker, but am going to wait until I get my hands on ESXi 5.5. 

Still on holiday and will be a few more days before I will be answering questions. This is a one off access to be able to upload what I had sitting on my laptop.

attachicon.giflinux.zip

Thanks Donk for the tip although by adding that line in the vmx does not change anything, the serial keeps being the one used by Vmware.

A quick heads up, 10.8.5 has now been released and works fine in Workstation 9  and 10 as well as Player 5 and 6. In truth it has been working fine for some time in the various developer previews.

A quick heads up, 10.8.5 has now been released and works fine in Workstation 9  and 10 as well as Player 5 and 6. In truth it has been working fine for some time in the various developer previews.

Update without any problem? iMessage working with enabler or some other fix? Might update as well now.

Is this for VMware player too??