Workstation 8/9/10, Player 4/5/6 and Fusion 4/5/6 Mac OS X Unlocker

Donk

543 posts in this topic

Erm yeah.. I guess x32 linux has a bug as you stated before to another user. Been trying that linux unlocker without any mac option even after successful attempt or workarounds. Even the darwin.iso isn't working nor resizing to guest or drag or drop even after vmtools is installed. Seems the only way is to get Workstation working on windows. Was thinking of doing a native installation multiboot Mac on my machine through Vmware. Didn't installed Workstation on windows because its a resource eater and ram usage is higher then that of linux.

Like gunslinger0007, I am having trouble with my installation.

I bought ML from the app store and proceeded with the guide on making my own VMDK. Then I followed the second guide to use that VMDK. However, the problem I have is that I get stuck/freeze on the grey loading installation apple screen. The wheel starts off spinning then it freezes and nothing happens.

My computer actually has a dual boot of ML and windows 8 but I would rather be booted in win8 and have ML as vmware.

Any help would so very greatly appreciated!!

Like gunslinger0007, I am having trouble with my installation.

I bought ML from the app store and proceeded with the guide on making my own VMDK. Then I followed the second guide to use that VMDK. However, the problem I have is that I get stuck/freeze on the grey loading installation apple screen. The wheel starts off spinning then it freezes and nothing happens.

My computer actually has a dual boot of ML and windows 8 but I would rather be booted in win8 and have ML as vmware.

Any help would so very greatly appreciated!!

We would not recommend the above method for installing OS X (10.8) Mountain Lion under VMware Workstation 9.0.2 or Player 5.0.2, not least of which we can do a vanilla install from media created from the App Store download. It is important for the method detailed below to work you must be running a relatively recent Intel processor with VT-x support which has been enabled in BIOS.

Install the "Unlocker" to enable support for OS X in either VMware Workstation 9 or Player 5, see Donk's post #352 in this thread, once installed on your OS X machine extract the InstallESD.dmg from your App Store download of "Install OS X Mountain Lion" in the Applications folder, right click the icon and select "Show Package Contents" open folder "SharedSupport" and copy the InstallESD.dmg to your desktop.

In order for you to be able to use this as install media in Workstation 9 or Player 5 (Fusion 5, ESXi 5.1 and U1 support .dmg files directly) the .dmg will have to be converted to a .iso, this can be done at the command line in OS X see below or in Windows using a third party product like ImgBurn.

In an OS X terminal session run the following:

cd Desktop

hdiutil convert ./InstallESD.dmg -format UDTO -o InstallESD.iso

mv InstallESD.iso.cdr InstallESD.iso

If the "Unlocker" has been installed correctly you should now be able to create a new OS X Mountain Lion virtual machine in Workstation 9 or Player 5 and select the InstallESD.iso you have created as the "Installer disc image file (iso):" and select Apple Mac OS X as the "Guest operating system" and Mac OS X 10.8 64-bit as the "Version".

Next choose a name and location for the virtual machine, then specify the "Maximum disk size (GB):" (I always select a minimum of 64 GB) and whether to "Store virtual disk as a single file" or "Split virtual disk into multiple files", (I select single file for ease of portability, but in theory selecting multiple files should offer better performance, but the default settings will work fine).

You now have the option to either Finish and create the Virtual Machine or "Customize Hardware...", I generally add a second core under the "Processors" section and change the "Network Adapter" to "Bridged" (but these are optional enhancements, the default settings will work fine) select Close and Finish.

Power on this virtual machine and the OS X installation should proceed. This will create a vanilla install of OS X which can be patched via "Software Update..."

To install "VMware Tools" go to the Virtual Machine Settings for the OS X VM and select CD/DVD (IDE) and under "Connection" click on "Use ISO image file:". It is quite likely your InstallESD.iso will still be selected, so just "Browse..." to the location of the darwin.iso and select "Open". The darwin.iso is not present in a standard install of either Workstation 9 or Player 5, it is added as part of the "Unlocker" install and is located in the VMware Workstation folder under "Program Files (x86)\VMware" in a default install, make sure the "Device status" has "Connected" ticked generally "Connect at power on" is ticked by default.

You may get an error when switching mounted .iso's in the Virtual Machine Settings "The guest operating system has locked the CD-ROM door..." it is OK to answer "Yes" to the question "Disconnect anyway and override the lock?".

In your OS X desktop a VMware Tools icon should appear in the upper right corner, double click and select "Install VMware Tools", it is recommended to install VMware Tools as it offers an enhanced user experience when working with the Virtual Machine. Please note VMware Tools cannot be installed from the menu in Workstation 9 or Player 5 to an OS X Virtual Machine (unlike Fusion 5, ESXi 5.1 and U1 which support VMware Tools installation from the menu).

Once you are up and running with your virtual OS X machine we need to do a couple of housekeeping tasks to ensure your virtual machine does not freeze. Firstly go to "System Preferences" and select "Energy Saver" and set "Computer sleep:" and "Display sleep:" to Never and also untick "Put hard disks to sleep when possible", "Wake for Ethernet network access" and "Allow power button to put the computer to sleep". In "Desktop & Screen Saver" set "Screen Saver" to "Start after:" Never.

One final note, occasionally you can come across an unsupported CPU error, in which case add the following line to your OS X virtual machine configuration file (.vmx):

cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101"

I dunno how to say. YOU ARE FREAKINGGG AWESOMEEEEE. I would so kiss you right now.

I spent hours banging my head and trying random things to make it work but none of them worked. Your method worked like a charm and from the git go.

Thank you soooo much!!!!!!!!

Ok folks...brand new to this forum. And, as of yesterday, a noob in the Hackintosh realm.

I am trying to get OSX 10.6.4 loaded into VMWare Workstation 8.0.3

I ran Unlocker 1.1.1 and Workstation now shows the assorted OSX versions/options.

I have a factory(Apple) iMAC DVD that I am attempting to install from.

Right after I select "English" for my language, it comes up with a message saying: "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer"

Then it gives me the option to "Restore From Backup" (which I obviously don't have) or "Restart".

Any clue? What do I need to do/change?

Thanks in Advance,

Ryan

post-1196055-0-60907200-1374680619_thumb.jpg

The restore discs that come with specific Macs are locked to that particular model, you need a retail disc or image from the App Store.

I have a factory(Apple) iMAC DVD that I am attempting to install from.

Hello, this is my first post on this forum.

I have a few questions about running 10.7.5 in VMWare Workstation 9.0.1

I want to run Mac OS X 10.7.5, but I cannot find an unlocker or a VT-x Bypasser and unlocker for this version. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Right now I'm running an Intel Pentium T4500M with 8GB of RAM. I have a Core 2 Duo T9600 coming in the mail in a few days, which will have the VT-x instruction set built into the CPU. Would it be easier to have the VT-x bypasser and not worry about it on the new CPU or should I just wait for the VT-x enabled CPU?

Hello, this is my first post on this forum.

I have a few questions about running 10.7.5 in VMWare Workstation 9.0.1

I want to run Mac OS X 10.7.5, but I cannot find an unlocker or a VT-x Bypasser and unlocker for this version. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Right now I'm running an Intel Pentium T4500M with 8GB of RAM. I have a Core 2 Duo T9600 coming in the mail in a few days, which will have the VT-x instruction set built into the CPU. Would it be easier to have the VT-x bypasser and not worry about it on the new CPU or should I just wait for the VT-x enabled CPU?

You will need a CPU with VT-x to run OS X in Workstation 9.0 then use the unlocker.

• 1 month later...

Works with Workstation 10.

Wish they'd stop with the yearly upgrades, it's a bit expensive.  :-P

(Prior to version 8 they would offer a paid upgrade more like every two years, with a free "minor upgrade" in between...)

Actually it doesn't patch vmwarebase so no Apple in the guest OS dialog. Existing guests will run OK though as vmware-vmx is patched correctly. There is a new pattern I need to add to the patch, however I am about to go on holiday for 2 weeks so it will be sometime before I get on to it.

• Like 1

Actually it doesn't patch vmwarebase so no Apple in the guest OS dialog. Existing guests will run OK though as vmware-vmx is patched correctly. There is a new pattern I need to add to the patch, however I am about to go on holiday for 2 weeks so it will be sometime before I get on to it.

Thank you for support :)

eranj,

As Donk has said the current unlocker v1.1.1 works with Workstation 10 but only patches vmware-vmx which allows an existing OS X virtual machine to run in Workstation 10, however you cannot select OS X as an option to create a new virtual machine as the unlocker currently cannot patch the vmwarebase. The code has changed and in Donk's words "a new pattern" will need to added to the patch and a new unlocker released.

It's good to hear you're working on it. Enjoy your holiday.

eranj,

As Donk has said the current unlocker v1.1.1 works with Workstation 10 but only patches vmware-vmx which allows an existing OS X virtual machine to run in Workstation 10, however you cannot select OS X as an option to create a new virtual machine as the unlocker currently cannot patch the vmwarebase. The code has changed and in Donk's words "a new pattern" will need to added to the patch and a new unlocker released.

Does it work the same on VMware player?

I just discovered, that there's no problem with using DMG images directly without converting them to ISO first. This is at least true for vmware player 5.0.2 on Linux.

There's just one small issue with the GUI, namely that the file chooser doesn't show *.dmg files by default. So if the unlocker could enable that as well, that would be perfect!

wurst001,

I have never tried the Linux version, but the Windows versions of Workstation 9.0.2 and Player 5.0.2 do not support installation from .dmg, which is not really a surprise bearing in mind OS X is not a supported VM for Workstation and Player regardless of platform, whereas ESXi 5.1 and Fusion 5.0.3 support direct install from .dmg, as they can both be run on Apple hardware and therefore comply with Apple's EULA for virtualisation of OS X.

eranj,

In a word, yes the unlocker v1.1.1 works the same in Player 6 as it does in Workstation 10, i.e. existing OS X VM's continue to work fine, but you do not have the ability to create a new OS X VM from the install wizard, pending a new version of the unlocker.

UPDATE: Thanks to some quick work by Zenith432, who after all was responsible for the patches used in Donk's unlocker, you can select OS X from the "New Virtual Machine..." wizard, see below: