Workstation 8/9/10, Player 4/5/6 and Fusion 4/5/6 Mac OS X Unlocker

Donk

543 posts in this topic

Why unable to autofit guest even after installing the vmware tools? I use VMware 9.0.1 in win 8 and have installed the VMware SVGA II display driver for OS X, v1.2.5 (http://www.insanelym...58#entry1862994)

thank you!

After installing vmware tools, you need to install guestd_patches. This patches vmware tools to do autofit with vmsvga2. (Out of the box, vmware tools only does autofit with vmwaregfx.)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

This tool is working great with VMware Workstation v9.0.1. I don't have any problems.

Shared Folders, Sound, USB Storage Access and Full Screen are working as expected.

Playing video files, multimedia contents has problem(s) with hardware acceleration but VMWare Fusion v5.0.2, which is supposed to support Mac OS X Lion officially, has the same problem(s).

Dear Dong, do you have any plan to update the tool to make it offically support VMWare Workstation v9.0.1?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm running VMware® Workstation 8.0.2 build-591240 on linux 3.2.0-38-generic.

I applied the Unlocker patch and tried to install iATKOS ML2 from DVD.

The DVD is ok, because I have done a successful installation from this DVD.

The installation in the vmware started ok, but when the window appeared,

where you have to choose your language , the mouse was not working.

The mouse was only working outside the vmware window, but inside the

vmware window it just disappeared. This happens reproducible and only

in the Mac OS vmware. In any other vmware the mouse is working normally.

Any idea what's going wrong ?

Yep - only use a retail version of OS X. All these "disros" pack stuff that we don't cater for in VMware. Just go buy a retail copy and you should be good.

I'm running VMware® Workstation 8.0.2 build-591240 on linux 3.2.0-38-generic.

The DVD is ok, because I have done a successful installation from this DVD.

The installation in the vmware started ok, but when the window appeared,

where you have to choose your language , the mouse was not working.

The mouse was only working outside the vmware window, but inside the

vmware window it just disappeared. This happens reproducible and only

in the Mac OS vmware. In any other vmware the mouse is working normally.

As Donk has said, you need to be using a retail copy of OS X 10.8 (ML) downloaded from the App Store and converted to an ISO. Ideally upgrade to Workstation 9.0.1, as in combination with the "Unlocker" offers full support for ML, or you could use the free Player 5.0.1.

• 2 weeks later...

Minor update. Tested on newer versions of VMware products and a fix for ESXi.

Just for clarification, Donk is referring to a new release of the "Unlocker" v1.1.1 see link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/267296-esxi-5-mac-os-x-unlocker/

or the first post in this thread.

Donk, thanks for the update, MSoK.

Hey Guys,

Got a new Mac Mini with 10.8.2 preinstalled. I need to run Pro Tools 9, which is not compatible with Lion or Mountain Lion. Updating to 9.0.5 is not an option. Anways, I'm trying to use VMware Fusion to install Snow Leopard and run pro tools on my virtual machine.

Here's some specs:

Model Name: Mac mini

Model Identifier: Macmini6,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Boot ROM Version: MM61.0106.B03

SMC Version (system): 2.7f0

I'm currently using VMware Fusion 4.1.3 and have tried patching using Donk's patch. Says successful besides the vmwarebase file.

Any help I can get with this to make Snow Leopard work with Fusion 4.1.3 would be MUCH appreciated!

Hey Guys,

Got a new Mac Mini with 10.8.2 preinstalled. I need to run Pro Tools 9, which is not compatible with Lion or Mountain Lion. Updating to 9.0.5 is not an option. Anways, I'm trying to use VMware Fusion to install Snow Leopard and run pro tools on my virtual machine.

Here's some specs:

I'm currently using VMware Fusion 4.1.3 and have tried patching using Donk's patch. Says successful besides the vmwarebase file.

Any help I can get with this to make Snow Leopard work with Fusion 4.1.3 would be MUCH appreciated!

I think you will be disappointed as sound in a VM isn't great and I assume you are talking about Avid Pro tools. You would be best just downgrading the Mac Minin to Snow Leopard.

I think you will be disappointed as sound in a VM isn't great and I assume you are talking about Avid Pro tools. You would be best just downgrading the Mac Minin to Snow Leopard.

With that being said I'm trying to install Snow Leopard on a separate partition but I'm getting the panic "unsupported CPU" error! I would much rather just downgrade.

With that being said I'm trying to install Snow Leopard on a separate partition but I'm getting the panic "unsupported CPU" error! I would much rather just downgrade.

We had lots of issues with SL in VMware when Core i and Xeon 5600 series processors appeared, and had to use a CPUID mask in VMware to allow the SL DVD (10.6.0 or 10.6.3) to install, once patched to 10.6.4 and above the problem was resolved. I think you would need a slipstreamed (if such a thing exists) OS X 10.6.8 DVD to allow install on a current MiniMac 6,1 or 6,2. You can purchase Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD from the Apple Store, but not sure of the current patch level.

We had lots of issues with SL in VMware when Core i and Xeon 5600 series processors appeared, and had to use a CPUID mask in VMware to allow the SL DVD (10.6.0 or 10.6.3) to install, once patched to 10.6.4 and above the problem was resolved. I think you would need a slipstreamed (if such a thing exists) OS X 10.6.8 DVD to allow install on a current MiniMac 6,1 or 6,2. You can purchase Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD from the Apple Store, but not sure of the current patch level.

There are ways to do it, and there is a discussion on the Apple forums https://discussions.apple.com/message/15733107#15733107. Also other sites on web will give you details but cannot be linked from here due to forum rules.

Because I broke it with a silly mistake.

Will there be a fix soon?

I Used v1.1.1 to unlock 9.0.2 on both Linux (RHEL) and Windows. No issues to report so far.

Thank you for your confirm. I plan to update to v9.0.2 soon :D

Does version 1.1.1 work?, Why a strikethrough?

1.1.1 was a bug fix just in the ESXi script. 1.1.0 is fine for everyone and does work on ESXi just make sure it is run from a VMDS datastore volume. For Workstation there were no changes.

I will go back and look at the ESXi script again, but at the moment I am on holiday with just an iPad.

Does version 1.1.1 work?, Why a strikethrough?

Unlocker 1.1.1 currently offers no functional advantage over 1.1.0, it was released to fix a problem with the install.sh script for ESXi, and to quote Donk:

"It was mistakenly saved on Windows and does not have Unix end of line characters. Just use 1.1.0. Sorry about that, happened when I was packaging it up."

1.1.1 was a bug fix just in the ESXi script. 1.1.0 is fine for everyone and does work on ESXi just make sure it is run from a VMDS datastore volume. For Workstation there were no changes.

I will go back and look at the ESXi script again, but at the moment I am on holiday with just an iPad.

Donk,

Sorry must have replied at the same time, LoL, MSoK.