Workstation 8/9/10, Player 4/5/6 and Fusion 4/5/6 Mac OS X Unlocker

Donk

543 posts in this topic

RealNC, the path-naming doesn't work right if you give an explicit path on the command-line to Unlocker. As a workaround, to patch vmwarebase, run the unlocker a 2nd time using

$ sudo ./Unlocker.Linux /opt/vmware/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwarebase.so.0

This will patch vmwarebase but fail to find the vmware-vmx* binaries.

I've added the fixes with '#include <unistd.h>' and 'bool found = false' (found by darkmas) to Donk's source code from 1.1.0.

There is no official source control repository for the unlocker, but attached is a bare GIT repository with the latest code.

unlocker.git.tar.gz

RealNC, the path-naming doesn't work right if you give an explicit path on the command-line to Unlocker. As a workaround, to patch vmwarebase, run the unlocker a 2nd time using

$ sudo ./Unlocker.Linux /opt/vmware/lib/vmware/lib/libvmwarebase.so.0

This will patch vmwarebase but fail to find the vmware-vmx* binaries.

I've added the fixes with '#include <unistd.h>' and 'bool found = false' (found by darkmas) to Donk's source code from 1.1.0.

There is no official source control repository for the unlocker, but attached is a bare GIT repository with the latest code.

Just started looking at fixing it today, but you beat me to it. Will think about a GIT hosting site, but as what we are doing is bending the rules about EULAs and such, may not be acceptable use for Github and the others.

Hey Guys,

I just attempted to upgrade from 10.7.3 which was working perfectly on my workstation 8 running on an i7 to Mountain Lion (10.8). Once the files copied over and the OSX restarted, the boot process got stuck on the grey EFI screen with the following errors:

EFI VMWare Virtual SCSI Hard Drive )0,0) ... unsuccessful

EFI Vmware Virtual IDE CDROM Drive (IDE 1:0) ... unsuccessful

EFI Network ...

After which it goes into the EFI Shell version 2.30 [1.0] showing the Shell> prompt

Unlocker Version: 1.1.0

VM Workstation Version: Tried both 8.0.2 and 9.0.0. Currently on 9.0.0 build-812388

Currently running OSX: Lion 10.7.3

Trying to upgrade to OSX: Mountain Lion 10.8

Errors: Unable to boot after the installer copies OSX upgrade files. Shows EFI VMWare ... unsuccessful messages

I apologize if this is an old issue that has already been resolved. I did do a considerable amount of searching around before posting here. I would appreciate any help on this. Thanks!

-Rob

Any idea on how to tackle this one? Thanks

Uninstall the VMware tools before doing the upgrade. Or do a clean install of 10.8 by converting the 10.8 DMG to a CDR with Disk Utility, copy it to your host (through shared folders or scp) and then mount that in VMWare as an ISO.

Anyone know how to fix an issue where if you created a vm in tech preview you then can't open it in workstation 8? As tech preview has finished i've gone back to Workstation 8 but now can't open any vms created in tech preview. I get an error saying the vm was created with a product not compatible with this version...

Of course I can't downgrade the hardware version as i'm using a lower version of workstation that what the vm was created in. That appears to mean I can no longer use my virtual machine unless I buy workstation 9. I wish i'd known that before using Tech Preview :rolleyes:

Edit: Downloading workstation 9 and using the 30 day free trial so I can downgrade hardware versions back to Workstation 8.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all... newbie here. Just did those two tests in uber quick time

Has anyone tried running vmware unlocker within Windows 8? Should it perform exactly the same as for W7?

lawred2,

In a word yes, the unlocker works fine in Windows 8, but you need to run the cmd prompt as administrator, so go into all apps and right click on the CMD app, and select run as administrator, alternatively use the windows key and x. I would also recommend using Workstation 9 or Player 5 with Windows 8.

MSoK.

lawred2,

In a word yes, the unlocker works fine in Windows 8, but you need to run the cmd prompt as administrator, so go into all apps and right click on the CMD app, and selcet run as administrator, alternatively use the windows key and x. I would also recommend using Workstation 9 or Player 5 with Windows 8.

MSoK.

cheers

Yeah I've definitely tried running as admin but I may not not have the latest version of workstation... I'll give that a go later when I get home. Is the download link on the op to the most up to date unlocker?

cheers

Yeah I've definitely tried running as admin but I may not not have the latest version of workstation... I'll give that a go later when I get home. Is the download link on the op to the most up to date unlocker?

Yes, the current version is 1.1.0, awaiting a new version from Donk.

Any predictions out a version for VMware 9 and OS X 10.8 (sorry for my english, I'm from Brazil and I'm using Google Translate)? In version 1.1.0 I can only select 10.7 operating system.

VMware workstation 9.0.1 and patch 1.1 works just fine for me - I can select Mac OS X 10.8 (64 bit)... when creating a new VM.

VMware workstation 9.0.1 and patch 1.1 works just fine for me - I can select Mac OS X 10.8 (64 bit)... when creating a new VM.

Thanks for the reply, but when I install patch 1.1 on VMware 8, the option not appears 10.8, the most that appears is 10.7, I will test the VMware 9.

Another question: I have 10.7 installed on VMware 8, if I uninstall the VMware 8 and install VMware 9, I can continue using the installation of 10.7 or'll have to reinstall 10.7.

Yes that i correct There is no 32-bit 10.8 and Apple only allowed 10.6 Server version to be used. However you can use the desktop version as the patch will remove the check. Just use the 10.6 Server setting for Snow Leopard.

Funny, the same patch (there is no difference) 10.8 enables VMware 9 and does not enable the VMware 8. Stranger still is that the patch date is May 10, 2012 and still had not released the Mountain Lion and VMware or 9. How can the option appear out of nowhere in 10.8 VMware 9?

Yes that i correct There is no 32-bit 10.8 and Apple only allowed 10.6 Server version to be used. However you can use the desktop version as the patch will remove the check. Just use the 10.6 Server setting for Snow Leopard.

How so Apple only allowed the Server version of 10.6? I think she's not allowed any version. Then she allowed the version 10.8 but not 10.6?

Is this Apple is starting to want to release the OS X installation on any computer? Already starting with virtualization. In the future will be like Windows.

No, they still only allow it on their own hardware (officially.)

Which doesn't mean it is legally enforcable -- at least in Germany they cannot sue someone who bought OS X and runs it on a common PC since their terms (regarding the restriction rules on non-Apple hardware) are invalid under German law.

How you make it work with vmw9?

9(.0.1) after update from vmw8 and 1.1.0 unlocker doesn't render desktop in osx 10.6.3, shows only mouse pointer on grey background with apple logo

Hello,

Both of my 10.6.8 and 10.7.5 VMs work fine with VM 9.0.1 under Linux. Did you upgrade the VM's virtual hardware to the latest version after upgrading to VM 9.0.1? That does help most of the time...

Regards,

• Like 1