Workstation 8/9/10, Player 4/5/6 and Fusion 4/5/6 Mac OS X Unlocker

Donk

543 posts in this topic

That's not important, as it's all virtualized.  I doubt you'd notice a performance difference between the virtual SCSI and virtual SATA.  The queue depth is a feature of SATA AHCI protocol.  It's irrelevant for for SCSI - a completely different protocol.

Just remove all mention of ide.* from the VMX file.

The virtual SATA harddisks have a queue depth of 32. I couldn't find anything out about the queue depth of the SCSI disks. Also, I wasn't able to disable the IDE controller. So far all my OS X guests run very solid.

That's not important, as it's all virtualized.  I doubt you'd notice a performance difference between the virtual SCSI and virtual SATA.  The queue depth is a feature of SATA AHCI protocol.  It's irrelevant for for SCSI - a completely different protocol.

Just remove all mention of ide.* from the VMX file.

Yes of course it's all virtualized. But even in virtualization, it is an advantage if the guest OS can send multiple I/O request to the virtual harddisk (and thus to the host OS) without waiting for the previous ones to complete. This feature is available only with SATA and maybe SCSI - but not IDE. I'm pretty sure there is an equivalent of the queue depth for SCSI drives. But I couldn't find out if it's larger or smaller than the one for the SATA drives. Since SATA is the new default, I hoped SATA would be the best choice performance wise.

Removing anything ide.* related from the VMX file doesn't really solve the problem. The IDE controller still appears in lspci. Nevermind, it's not a big issue.

Have a look here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/292170-how-to-spoof-real-mac-in-vmware/. Decided to start a new thread and track this issue separately.

Yup that worked thanks, well messages is not able to login, even with a freshly apple id but i know its not for that you made it, but nice to have spoofed real mac into vmware, gratz!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick heads up, with the recent release of OS X 10.9 GM Seed taking Mavericks to Build 13A598 and also a supplemental update to OS X 10.8.5 taking Mountain Lion to Build 12F45, I can confirm both are working fine in Workstation 10 / Player 6.

Anyone tried the OS X 10.9 GM in ESXi 5.1 U1?  I can't get it to boot from the InstallESD.dmg.  10.8.5 had no problems booting from InstallESD.dmg on the same box.

It is not possible to boot from the DMG in ML. It has to be converted first, even Fusion does this. I am at a conference for a couple of days and will look into it when I get back.

It is not possible to boot from the DMG in ML. It has to be converted first, even Fusion does this. I am at a conference for a couple of days and will look into it when I get back.

Ah ok....it says in this post that they do boot DMG:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290949-how-to-install-os-x-108-mountain-lion-and-os-x-109-mavericks-in-vmware-workstation-910-or-player-56/?do=findComment&comment=1936143

I am pretty sure I was able to with 10.8.5.

savestheday,

Sorry if my post was confusing, I have updated for clarification, OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) GM Seed and the two previous Developer Preview versions cannot be installed from the extracted DMG or converted ISO images or upgraded from a previous version of OS X using either of these images. Installation requires either a boot disk creating from the hidden Basesystem.dmg see a link to the relevant topic below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/289792-vmware-9-and-109-dp1-yet/

Alternatively just run the upgrade from the downloaded "Install OS X Mavericks" from the App Store.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update, Workstation 10.0.1, Player 6.0.1 and Fusion 6.0.1 have been released and OS X 10.8 and OS X 10.9 are working OK once the unlocker 1.2.x has been re-installed. I have updated the darwin.iso in the Download section to 6.0.1 from the latest version of Fusion.

• Like 1

Do you guys have a way of getting full resolution out of VMware tools in Mavericks?  Using 6.0.1 VMware tools. I'm stuck at 1024x768.  

savestheday,

See the following post to help with your resolution issue:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290949-how-to-install-os-x-108-mountain-lion-and-os-x-109-mavericks-in-vmware-workstation-910-or-player-56/?p=1955770

Just a quick update, Workstation 10.0.1, Player 6.0.1 and Fusion 6.0.1 have been released and OS X 10.8 and OS X 10.9 are working OK once the unlocker 1.2.x has been re-installed. I have updated the darwin.iso in the Download section to 6.0.1 from the latest version of Fusion.

Thank you for your info. I'm going to install v10.0.1 soon :D

Thank you for your info. I'm going to install v10.0.1 soon :D

trungpt,

If you are coming from Workstation 9.0.2, just be aware existing OS X VMs may need to be upgraded to vHW10 (Virtual Hardware) to boot, and do not forget to re-install the unlocker.

trungpt,

If you are coming from Workstation 9.0.2, just be aware existing OS X VMs may need to be upgraded to vHW10 (Virtual Hardware) to boot, and do not forget to re-install the unlocker.

Thank you. I'm using v9.0.2. The unlocker is awesome :)

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone tried this on VMware 10.0.1 build 1379776? Just wondering if it still works

luckman212,

All works fine with Workstation 10.0.1 build 1379776, see my earlier post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/268531-workstation-8910-player-456-and-fusion-456-mac-os-x-unlocker/?p=1958189

Also the new seed of 10.9.1 (developer preview) works fine in Workstation 10.0.1

• 1 month later...

i want to thank you for this usefull topic. 

tryed to everything the "right way" but i have a little problem: i get this message while booting mountain lion. 

"The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. Power off or reset the virtual machine".

i tryed ressetting/ shutting off-on but i still get the same error message.

i'm using VMware 10.0 patched with the 1.2.0 unlocker.