[GUIDE] Thinkpad T420 with (Mountain) Lion

Manwe150

403 posts in this topic

NVS4200 is fermi card so to get it working you need to add id of your card to NVDAGF100Hal.kext and reboot, in log on boot you should see GF100HAL loaded or something like this... and top bar in osx should be transparent

this method worked for gts450 fermi too on my desktop

ive disabled my Hd 3000 in my Bios so it only runs my Nvs quadro, like i said the patch makes Open CL work, but i guess it lacks complete hardware acceleration (chess wont work), we might be able to get the full QE/CI by using a modified fermi kext

NVS4200 is fermi card so to get it working you need to add id of your card to NVDAGF100Hal.kext and reboot, in log on boot you should see GF100HAL loaded or something like this... and top bar in osx should be transparent

this method worked for gts450 fermi too on my desktop

yeah the ID never had to be installed it was atomaticaly identified, what dosent seem to work is opengl

• 4 weeks later...

About BT on/off

1. I think on T420/520/W520 its not broadcom (Need AIDA64 report about this BT chip)

2. need to edit another kext in IOBluetoothFamily

3. Needs to fix extension permission, mine works only after that step

T410/510/W510 BT ids

Product ID: 0x217f

Vendor ID: 0x0a5c (Broadcom Corp.)

Ricoh pci-e reader

I tried on kext (VoodooSDHC I think) that should work with it but I got only system freeze when insert SDHC card to reader slot

Bluetooth on T420?

does any one try this : #187

Thanks 2

theaussiepea

i did but it doesn't work on my T420

i changed IDs and converted them to decimal according to

Integrated Smart Card Reader : apple info (profile)

Identifiant du produit: 0x1003

Identifiant du fournisseur: 0x17ef (Lenovo)

Version: 1.00

Vitesse: Jusqu’à 12 Mb/s

Fabricant: Lenovo

Identifiant de l’emplacement: 0x1d150000 / 4

Courant disponible (mA): 500

Courant requis (mA): 100

to have

<key>idProduct</key>

<integer>4099</integer>

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>6127</integer>

but no bluetooth here

help's welcome

did someone succeed to maker Ricoh Pci-e Card reader work?

check your bt ids in system profiler and let me know

ok for the dit of an another kext :(

i did the repair ;) but i didn't work

same here when insert a sdcard in slot

i found this it may help

Hava good journey

if someone has a idea. sharing is a good idea lol

try this BT file from my working 10.8.2

UPD:

card reader not working with latest voodooSDHC under Snow, leo and ML. It loads but doesn't react on card in slot, doesn't show it in system and no freeze system at all

oups sorry for my mistake

Bt

Vendorid 0a5c

Productid 217f

so the same as the one described in the BT hack

i test them again, kext repair, boot... no success

i must be to tired cos i have done some same hack with success :(

Cardreader

Vendorid 17ef

Productid 1003

IOBluetoothFamily.kext.zip

• Like 1

try this BT file from my working 10.8.2

Thanks to joshhh bt kext my Bt works now. (included in my pack in my signature)

i understood my mistake cos i patched like that:

if you want to have bt on Hackintosh, install the kext, repair permission,

boot on windows active bt then reboot on make, joshhh kext make bt detected :)

thanks you very much for your help joshhh :)

Great! In this case it's possible to make universal patch to enable this feature on all thinkpads lineup

Thanks to joshhh bt kext my Bt works now.

i understood my mistake cos i patched like that:

if you want to have bt on Hackintosh, install the kext, repair permission,

boot on windows active bt then reboot on make, joshhh kext make bt detected :)

thanks you very much for your help joshhh :)

After reviewing a few posts on AppleHDA.kext based on 10.8.x, I tried a few of the kexts posted recently but I did not seem to find any that work as well as the one I found based on 10.7.3

I think this is where I found it. (it is included in a previous post.)

Ref: http://forum.thinkpa...p?f=32&t=102098

http://forum.thinkpa...p?f=32&t=102098

this site was very useful also

http://www.tinhte.vn/threads/1481524/

Anyway for what its worth attached is an AppleHDA.kext for CX20590 for Lenovo T420 with 10.8.2.

It was based on standard 10.8.2 AppleHDA, with just 4 modifications. Note: It is very similar in function to the 10.7.3 version as it has 4 ports.

1. internal speaker

2. internal microphone

which automatically switch over to use:

1. external speaker/headphone (if plugged in the jack front/right)

2. Linein/external mic (if plugged in the jack front/right)

For example, plug-in a headset with microphone and no I/O selection required. it just works!

Or if you just plug in external speakers, then the internal mic is used.

However, this version expects layout ID 12 (0x0C) in dsdt.aml.

Device (HDEF)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
			Name (_S3D, 0x03)
			Name (RID, Zero)
			Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
			{
				0x0D,
				0x04
			})
			Method (_PSW, 1, NotSerialized)
			{
				Noop
			}
	 	 Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			{
				Store (Package (0x0A)
					{
						"codec-id",
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
			 			 0x6E, 0x50, 0xF1, 0x14
						},
						"layout-id",
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
						// for 10.8.x use layout12
				 		 0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
						// 0x6E, 0x50, 0x00, 0x00
						},
						"PinConfigurations",
						Buffer (Zero) {},
						"hda-gfx",
						Buffer (0x0A)
						{
							"onboard-1"
						},
						"device-type",
						Buffer (0x11)
						{
							"Conexant CX20590"
						}
					}, Local0)
				DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			}
		}

Besides the dsdt change, there are 3 files that need to replaced

1) /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist

2)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/layout12.xml.zlib

3)

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/Platforms.xml.zlib

These are the “verbs” that are used in Info.plist

01971C30 01971D10 01971E21 01971F01

01B71C20 01B71D10 01B71EA1 01B71F01

01F71C40 01F71D01 01F71E10 01F71F90

02371CA0 02371D01 02371EA0 02371F90

01B70C02

The final change is to patch the binary to use a existing codec for the Conexant chipset.

Thanks to bcc9 who posted an excellent bin-patching script ref:

http://www.insanelym...y-for-osx107108

I added the codec info for Conexant in the file patch-hda-codecs.pl and ran:

# ./patch-hda.pl 14f1506e

{ name => 'Conexant' ,
 target_id => 0x14f1506e,
 patch_id => 0x11d4198b					 #Conexant
},

The attached zip has the modified AppleHDA.kext, dsdt.aml (and dsl), and some tools/files used to build it.

updated: 11-30-2012 to be consistent with 10.8.2 kext pack below.

T420_CX20590_10.8.2_AppleHDA-kext.zip

• Like 3

AppleHDA share

Thanks a lot for this share and explanation.

this allow me to patch my

dsdt.aml to learn (with other tut i got

error)

i replace my dsdt.aml with tluck same with applehda.kext. reboot is ok

:)

i have sound now

:)

i try to use tluck pack updated with this stuff (no boot system found)

so i get back to my pack with this new applehda and dsdt.aml with can be found in my signature

thanks to tluck with tuto is great and you made my t420 better

i will now be able to watch movie on my computer :)

• Like 1

Update June 18, 2013 - revised 10.8.4 kext pack - see post #117

Update March 22, 2013 - 10.8.3 kext pack is here

--------

@honeywell et al,

I moved up to 10.8.2 (made a few minor changes... updated FakeSMC, AppleHDA etc etc)
For 10.8.2 here is my updated Extra and kext pack
I previously posted my experience on going to 10.7.x (see #85) and then to 10.8.0

Note: i have this system: T420-4236 (HD3000 gfx only with 1600x900 display)

Model ID : MacBookPro6,1 KernelMode: x86_64
CPU TYPE : Intel® Core™ i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Core : 2491MHz Bus: 25MHz FSB: 100MHz
CPU ID : Ox206A7 (132775) Cache L2: 0Mb
RAM : 8192Mb HibernateMode: 0

Updated: 11-30-2012 - kext pack was re-upload (with slightly revised AppleHDA)

• Like 1

Thanks for replying tluck. As I understand it, in order to get OS X working with wifi on the T420, I'll need to first flash my bios with the modded bios posted in the OP, then install a new card. I looked online and found that the Dell 1510 half card should work.

The main problem I have right now is that I don't have access to a system with OS X running on it. This means I won't be able to create the USB required in tony's guide. However, I looked online for an alternative solution, and found that something called a Nawcom ModCD will be able to install 10.7.3 on the T420. After I do that, I should be able to download multibst and tweak from there. Is this a sound plan? I'm probably going to try to update to 10.8.2.

Also, kind of off topic, but the T420 that I purchased will have the HD screen (1366x768). I think it's possible to upgrade it to the 1600x900 HD+ screen manually. How would this effect my OS X install?

@honeywell

well you dont need a modded bios. i am running standard version 1.41. the reason people do that (afaik) is to run a non-standard pci express card. however, the built-in ethernet works and there are USB wifi cards that work. i have am airlink 101 300n and asus n10 jobbie that work fine. i use my laptop docked so its more like a desktop most of the time.

sure there are a number of ways to get up and running. its been a while but i think i used i-boot with a mac CD to get the first disk running on GPT. then i copied it over to MBR format with chameleon/chimera (or m-beast).

you could get up 10.7.3 or 10.8.x. i have bootable USB instead of CD. the low-res screen may not require the dsdt (dual-link) definition otherwise everything else ought be pretty much the same.

@honeywell et al,

i previously posted my experience on going to 10.7.x (see #85) and then to 10.8.0 (see #117)

subsequently I moved up to 10.8.2 (made a few minor changes... updated FakeSMC, AppleHDA etc etc)

i am running 10.8.2 now here is my updated Extra and kext pack:

i have this system: T420-4236

Model ID : MacBookPro6,1 KernelMode: x86_64

CPU TYPE : Intel® Core™ i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz

Core : 2491MHz Bus: 25MHz FSB: 100MHz

CPU ID : Ox206A7 (132775) Cache L2: 0Mb

RAM : 8192Mb HibernateMode: 0

Hi tluck-

I cannot download your file, it says it cannot find it when you click on it. Can you please check it?

Also, would you please give a quick explanation of what's required to run 10.8.2? I am on 10.8.1 and I have not been able to successfully get to 10.8.2.

Thanks,

AJ

Thinkpad T420 arrived. I upgraded the bios to 1.33 already, but I'm a bit confused on how to remove the whitelist (yes, I'm planning on replacing the wifi card with the same one mentioned in OP). I went to this link as posted on OP http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/20223-Remove-whitelist-check-add-ID-s-to-break-hardware-restrictions-mod-requests/page166?p=489534&viewfull=1#post489534 , downloaded the link, but it's a folder with some files in it. How do I use it? Thanks.

Thinkpad T420 arrived. I upgraded the bios to 1.33 already, but I'm a bit confused on how to remove the whitelist (yes, I'm planning on replacing the wifi card with the same one mentioned in OP). I went to this link as posted on OP http://forums.mydigi...ll=1#post489534 , downloaded the link, but it's a folder with some files in it. How do I use it? Thanks.

Hi honeywell-

I think that once you downgrade the bios to the modded 1.33 (by installing the executable file on that link) the limitation on wifi cards is removed, so you can basically install any compatible wifi card. If you don't have the modded bios, you get an error at boot that the wifi card is not allowed (or something like that).

Regards,

AJ

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to install OS X using iAtk0s L2 today - I read somewhere that it works with the T420. Needless to say, it was a huge pain in the ass, and it barely works. I'm able to get into the actual system and I've created a user. USB ports work thank god, but keyboard/trackpad/trackpoint don't work. USB mouse has some really weird behavior, and so does the power cable, but I won't elaborate now, it's beyond the point. I'm on 10.7.2, and I don't have internet because the card I ordered isn't here yet, so I've just been using a USB stick to transfer files over. Anyway, I installed voodoops2 and followed the instructions about ultranav in the original post, and I still have nothing in terms of native keyboard/mouse functionality. (I have to use a USB mouse and keyboard) I used kextutility to install voodoops2, then replaced one of the files in voodops2.kext with ultranav.kext, and then set the permissions again. I did forget to update kextcache, not sure if that could effect it - but that would only effect the ultranav part. Kext utility should have installed voodoops2 correctly, including updating the cache, so I'm really stumped as to why the keyboard doesn't work.

Also, to even boot, I had to remove AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer and AppleIntelSNBGraphics kexts, and must use "GraphicsEnabler"="No" in order to get it to work. The resolution is horrendous. I also applied the SpeedStepper patch to AICPUPM, and also forgot to update kextcache there. (again, not sure if that matters, it probably does)

I'm a bit weary about applying Multibeaste with the DSDT linked in the original post. There are two files, one is .aml and the other is .dsl - could someone explain to me which one or both I need? Do I need to rename them to just dsdt.aml/dsl and place them on the desktop, or can I leave them named dsdt.manwe150.*? I tried it once by just copy and pasting them on to the desktop, and applying Multibeaste, and then rebooting, and I couldn't boot so I had to reinstall the entire thing from iAtk0s again (it could have been due to me installing a kext though, I was being reckless the first time I got it to boot). The CD takes 40-50 minutes to get to the install screen, so wasn't fast.

Small note - USB ports seem to not work in iAtk0s when the laptop is plugged in for charging (in fact I think the installer hangs when it's plugged in)

My top priorities right now are native keyboard and trackpad, then graphics working. Any and all help is appreciated, I'm pretty much clueless as to what I'm doing.

I decided to install OS X using iAtk0s L2 today - I read somewhere that it works with the T420. Needless to say, it was a huge pain in the ass, and it barely works. I'm able to get into the actual system and I've created a user. USB ports work thank god, but keyboard/trackpad/trackpoint don't work. USB mouse has some really weird behavior, and so does the power cable, but I won't elaborate now, it's beyond the point. I'm on 10.7.2, and I don't have internet because the card I ordered isn't here yet, so I've just been using a USB stick to transfer files over. Anyway, I installed voodoops2 and followed the instructions about ultranav in the original post, and I still have nothing in terms of native keyboard/mouse functionality. (I have to use a USB mouse and keyboard) I used kextutility to install voodoops2, then replaced one of the files in voodops2.kext with ultranav.kext, and then set the permissions again. I did forget to update kextcache, not sure if that could effect it - but that would only effect the ultranav part. Kext utility should have installed voodoops2 correctly, including updating the cache, so I'm really stumped as to why the keyboard doesn't work.

Also, to even boot, I had to remove AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer and AppleIntelSNBGraphics kexts, and must use "GraphicsEnabler"="No" in order to get it to work. The resolution is horrendous. I also applied the SpeedStepper patch to AICPUPM, and also forgot to update kextcache there. (again, not sure if that matters, it probably does)

I'm a bit weary about applying Multibeaste with the DSDT linked in the original post. There are two files, one is .aml and the other is .dsl - could someone explain to me which one or both I need? Do I need to rename them to just dsdt.aml/dsl and place them on the desktop, or can I leave them named dsdt.manwe150.*? I tried it once by just copy and pasting them on to the desktop, and applying Multibeaste, and then rebooting, and I couldn't boot so I had to reinstall the entire thing from iAtk0s again (it could have been due to me installing a kext though, I was being reckless the first time I got it to boot). The CD takes 40-50 minutes to get to the install screen, so wasn't fast.

Small note - USB ports seem to not work in iAtk0s when the laptop is plugged in for charging (in fact I think the installer hangs when it's plugged in)

My top priorities right now are native keyboard and trackpad, then graphics working. Any and all help is appreciated, I'm pretty much clueless as to what I'm doing.

Don't use iAtk0s. Do a clean install using Unibe@$t with a 10.7 Golden master. 10.7.1 and 10.7.2 feature the infamous graphics glitches, but with 10.7 you should be fine. It'll make everything a lot smoother. Upon your first boot move everything with AppleIntelSNB* in the front to a folder called backup in S/L/E. Then once you're in run ###### with Macbook 8,1 Presets. Once you're through with that replace the original AppleIntelSNB*s and graphics should run natively. Keyboard should work as well after running multibe@st. I'm successfully running 10.7 Lion on my T420 with Sound, Wifi, full Graphics, 1600x900, Keyboard,Mouse, and even freaking multitouch haha. Just the SD card reader doesnt work but ahh who cares (in my case)

GOOD LUCK!