OpenCL Oceanwave Bench and (new) CompuBench CL

mitch_de

367 posts in this topic

It seems that running OceanWave OpenCL on very lowend gpu - like AMD 4670 may fail! Its running out of some local memory, the bench needs. (shown in logs as an assest error)

Other than running games, were to less VRAM produces little freezes (fps drops) by VRAM swapping, OpenCL needs enough free + unfragmented (one block!) onboard (VRAM) memory which cant be swapped like using OpenGL. OpenGL never can run put of VRAM - it only loose much speed / stalls.

One more thing: The memory OpenCL uses must be in one block - so not all memory available for OpenGL is also available for OpenCL.

For example an 512 MB card, running OS X desktop (uses little VRAM) uses already about 50 MB. You will not have the rest - 462 MB (512 -50) available for OpenCL tasks. Its less, i think fixed to some 32/64 MB "slots" like 384 MB or 328 MB and or reduced by some VRAM fragments.

Even the GPU has 512 MB the bench may fail in case of AMD 46xx gpus - some internals (memory management) maybe incompatible with complex OpenCL benches.

Also the OS X driver may have an bug which reports wrong AMD 46xx features which this benchmark reads out and uses them.

But it doesnt matter real, because CoreImage for that GPU is OK and OpenCL will never perform well on AMD 46xx gpus.

This bench make more sense AMD 48xx and up.

COOL , first bench results (lots) for new AMD 7950 Mac by Rob - barefeats!!

http://www.barefeats.com/gpu7950.html

Eep357, differ from who/what? That was precisely my point, thus my surprise seeing nVidia benching higher in this topic. But i think mitch_de explained things quite well. :D

Sorry! :) I hadn't noticed Nvidia benching higher, was looking only at the "pole position" on page 1 where it got stomped :P And above graph where only Nvidia cards in SLI were able to top single AMD. Kinda figured below that, it all depends on cards age who score best.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just put in the GTX 660 it is working great, however, I cannot get OpenCL to work. I came from the dreaded 560ti to this card and now no OpenCL!

For your information my kexts all have the 3/10/13 date on them and say version 8.10.44 (I assume this is the native Apple 10.8.3 kexts???)

GraphicsEnabler=No

MacPro 4,1

I still have one 560ti in the lower slot, (that shouldn't matter)

This has to be something simple, what on earth am I doing wrong?

Please let me know if I need to change frameworks as well as kexts as I am not too sure, so far I have been keeping the frameworks with their corresponding kexts...if that makes sense.

Like I said, card(s) are working great, just no OpenCL on the GTX 660, thought it would be an easy swap, just put the card in, put the original unmodified kexts back, and everything should work. Knew it would be harder than that.... icon_e_sad.gif

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

60 FPS has to do with 10.9 AND kind of GPU. My 440 GT (NVDAGF100Hal) hasnt that effect even running 10.9 on 60 Hz tft (getting 105 FPS). Perhaps some Nvidia driver bug using vsync even if programm disable that.

• 2 weeks later...

HD6850 is locked at 60fps too.

I guess it might has something to do with Maverick's energy-saving feature.

@mitch_de

When I put a window cover the Oceanwave app, the score will boost back.

same...window covered , back to normal scores

GTX Titan oc'ed @1132, OS 10.9 /13A603

This 60 fps - with default settings:
post-21904-0-89530800-1384915653_thumb.png
As I understand, it's because refresh is locked.

This 969 fps  - with option "BeamSync=Disable" (Quartz Debug.app)
post-21904-0-22419000-1384915695_thumb.png
I don't know, this result is correct or not.

May be is there other way to disable vsync?

You just drag a window over the benchmark when its going and it speeds up from 60fps to the right fps. And the other is an app you can click disable beam sync and it sorts the score out without a window. And thats all the 2 things do is make the fps right in ocean wave nothing else. I thought it would make mavericks run smoother but it does not lol :)