Best off the shelf system for OpenCL development?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

manoamuppet

manoamuppet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Gang,

I do a lot of OpenCL development under Windows and OSX. Currently I'm doing everything on a Mac Mini (C2D). While this runs great, the limited amount of video ram (256MB) is starting to make things difficult.

Normally under this situation I'd buy a Mac Pro. However the cost and the limited selection of nVidia video cards holds me back.

Ideally I'd like a machine that runs OSX and Windows well (intel i5 minimum). It also needs a 500+ watt power supply to run the GTX 560 that I intend to use. Small form factor would also be great.

Does anyone know of such a machine? Lenovo sells some workstations that fit the description however they are quite expensive ($1400) and I'm not sure how compatible they are.

Thanks in advance!

manoamuppet

manoamuppet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thought I'd answer my own question here. I ended up getting a Dell Vostro 460 for $560. I added the cheap Rosewill Network card, a GeForce 560Ti and a new power supply.

After pulling out my hair for a week trying to get things installed, the following works well.

Steps:

1. install Lion my creating my own boot CD via the instructions here:
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=266390

2. Rebooted into Lion using the above as a boot CD

3. Run System Update to get to 7.1 and Reboot

4. Patch the nVidia Driver to support the 560ti

5. Install the ATY_Init kext

6. Run ##### 4.0.1 (note 4.0.2 crashes).
use "#####, System Utilities, NVidia Fermi OpenCL Enabler, IOUSBFamily Rollback, Null CPU Power Management"

Reboot and everything works perfectly. Haven't checked audio yet however.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy