SMBios - Can programs crash if wrong one used?

Michaelcard

7 posts in this topic

Hello forum peeps...

Been searching (on the forums) for quite awhile now and can't seem to find an answer to my question. BTW the forums are HUGE and it's very hard to find an answer to a question that you don't know how to phrase and the search query's seem to produce completely random and unrelated topics. so please don't flame me if the answer is in 100 posts in the forums :(

Anyway the topic post pretty much says it all. I am using Chameleon Wizard to configure my boot loader and I picked a SMBios from it to install in my system. Is there a relationship between what SMBios I choose and system stability? Or better yet program compatibility?

Some advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thx

not so "stability", but features of course.

SMBIOS is essentially the faked Mac-Hardware OSX thinks it runs on.

Laptop Owners would do wrong or make themselfes life harder if they use SMBIOS of a desktop Mac just for example powermodes and such.

Depending on what GraphicsCard you have, you also need to take care of AppleGraphicsPowermanagement.kext, the various clock-gating / speed options for Nvidia,Intel and Ati are ruled via the Mac-IDs found in that kext.

Note that some paid Apps register themselfes with your Hardware and that means often with your MAC ethernet/wifi adress but also with the SMBIOS data or the UUID .. be prepared when using another SMBIOS that some apps want to be re-registered ( cause they think they run on a new machine of course ) .

So in short words : SMBIOS is critical and needs to be thoroughly planned which one to use, yes.

Lion can not be installed on blacklisted macs, found within the "distribution" file in the OSinstall.mpkg - so also that can depend on using a SMBIOS with such a "bad" ID.

Personally I would examine all built Macs that are more or less identical in hardware to my real ( windows ) Machine and then start investigating which mac the built-in GPU wants in AGPM.kext, with renaming Macs inside the info.plist to the one I use for SMBIOS.

( for instance I use iMac11,1 settings from AGPM but SMBIOS of MacBookPro5,1 for native speedstepping in Core2Duo - so renamed iMac11,1 in AGPM to MacBookPro5.1 and now CPU and GPU work correctly. )

So.. "Mactracker.app" from AppStore ( free ) : use that as a starting database app and lookup macs specs .. SMBIOS can be modified / "finetuned", of course later.

Well I must say that your answer was not only fast but VERY concise and informative. I have installed Mactracker and am investigating now... So I have a 3 ghz core 2 duo so i could use iMac 10,1... But what do I do if I have a graphics card that was never in any mac? i.e., Geforce 8800 gtx..

Very nice reply and great info. You are a star! Thx

also, when i first started the hackintosh project on my PC, i had quite a lot problems with various softwares, even with safari

(this one is the most rememberable for me, whenever i tried to upload a file on some uploading website, it immediately crashed on me)

i also had some problems with Logic Pro, not crashes though, but still problems.

after getting some more into this project, i discovered the DSDT thing (that time it didn't had DSDT section forum...), and once i start using one, problems began to vanish

now, i have a complex DSDT edits from Master Chief P5K-Pro HUGE Thread, and i can say, a good DSDT (not necessarily complex one like mine, even just the usual fixes will do the job correctly) + SMbios that is the closest to your HW config, will give you 99%-100% mac experience, without crashes, smooth and happy (except the horsepower of the real macs :P )

I have a 3 ghz core 2 duo so i could use iMac 10,1... But what do I do if I have a graphics card that was never in any mac? i.e., Geforce 8800 gtx.

MacPro3,1 MacPro3_1_smbios.plist.zip

Note this has no serial number.

There's a guide on Prasys' blog on how to make your own fake "authentic" serial number. Google it.

I found that Parallels Desktop 7 will crash when the CPU speed is set in smbios.plist. Even though i've over clocked my system to 4.3Ghz, if i set SMmaximalclock=4300, Parallels will be unable to create, start or restore a virtual machine. I have to let OSX detect and set the CPU speed based on my processor (which is 3.4Ghz for my i7 2600k) in order to get Parallels to work. But it's only cosmetic as i can confirm that my CPU is in fact running at 4.3Ghz using MSRDumper.kext.