• Please log in to reply
782 replies to this topic

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Version 1.3.0 uploaded. Fixes are for ESXi only. 

Great work thanks Donk, just for information I have been testing on behalf of Donk Version 1.3.0 on ESXi 5.5.0 for some time, and it works very  well, even survived the upgrade to ESXi 5.5.0 U1. Please follow the instructions, you need to set a persistent scratch location on one of your Datastores, especially if you are using one of the custom ISO's supplied by HP, Dell or IBM.

dobruny.developeruch

dobruny.developeruch

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

After success patch of the VMware ESXi, 5.5.0, 1623387 (ESXi-5.5U1-1623589-RollupISO-standard)

# ./install.sh
VMware Unlocker 1.3.0
===============================
Copyright: Dave Parsons 2011-14
Installing local.sh
Success - please now restart the server!

have next error messages:

• during load Mevericks iso image - The guest operating system 'darwin13_64Guest' is not supported.
  • during load Mountain Lion iso image - The guest operating system 'darwin12_64Guest' is not supported.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

After success patch of the VMware ESXi, 5.5.0, 1623387 (ESXi-5.5U1-1623589-RollupISO-standard)

# ./install.sh
VMware Unlocker 1.3.0
Installing local.sh

• during load Mevericks iso image - The guest operating system 'darwin13_64Guest' is not supported.
  • during load Mountain Lion iso image - The guest operating system 'darwin12_64Guest' is not supported.

Are you trying to use vCenter to start them? Id so please read the readme.txt - it is not possible to use vCenter to manage OS X guest unless on real Apple hardware. You need to directly connect to the ESXi host and start the guests.

dobruny.developeruch

dobruny.developeruch

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Are you trying to use vCenter to start them? Id so please read the readme.txt - it is not possible to use vCenter to manage OS X guest unless on real Apple hardware. You need to directly connect to the ESXi host and start the guests.

I have tried to use vCenter and directly connect to the ESXi host to start them, but have hangs loading in case with "directly connect to the ESXi host" with both system.

Screen Shot 2014-03-27 at 10.26.46 AM.png

Attached Files

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,966 posts

I have tried to use vCenter and directly connect to the ESXi host to start them, but have hangs loading in case with "directly connect to the ESXi host" with both system.

Just to double check you rebooted the server after installing the unlocker? If you did then it looks like you have not got bootable media for the guest.

4insmac

4insmac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Thanks for that!!  I thought you were one of those cli freaks that uses sed to overly-complicate simple things.  Turned out to be a nice little trick to remove the ^M characters at the end of every line =)  Using this method my host appears to be stable so far (8 hours, no crashes/errors) with dual gpu passthrough running!  Great thread, thanks guys

Congrats Ted!
sounds like interesting and fun setup. would you mind sharing details what chipset, exakt graphics cards incl BIOS version, CPU, RAM work for you.
thx

dobruny.developeruch

dobruny.developeruch

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

# ./install.sh
VMware Unlocker 1.3.0
Installing local.sh

Just to double check you rebooted the server after installing the unlocker? If you did then it looks like you have not got bootable media for the guest.

I have solved my problem after several days research with this article http://techiezone.ro...ks-on-esxi-5-1/, problem was in Mevericks and Mountain Lion dmg files.

Tedstevens

Tedstevens

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Congrats Ted!
sounds like interesting and fun setup. would you mind sharing details what chipset, exakt graphics cards incl BIOS version, CPU, RAM work for you.
thx

here is a youtube vid of the setup: 

My original setup was on the dell t7500, but i have also had success on my supermicro and gigabyte setups:

http://www.servetheh...slots-ipmi-2-0/

http://www.servetheh...et-motherboard/

compatible videocards taken from this list:

http://wiki.osx86pro...Seeds#AMD.2FATI

it really helps to have an remote KVM console for the inevitable PSOD troubleshooting when fiddling around with this kind of stuff

Rubyducky

Rubyducky

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

So does 1.4.0 fix the issues that come up when an ESXi server is managed by vCenter? 

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,966 posts

So does 1.4.0 fix the issues that come up when an ESXi server is managed by vCenter? 

Actually it is V 1.3.0 and yes I used a different way of building the patch using the scratch partition rather than the in-memory visorfs system.

It still does not allow vCenter to power on/off etc. as that is a vCemter function not ESXi and I do not have anything to patch that capability.

Rubyducky

Rubyducky

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Actually it is V 1.3.0 and yes I used a different way of building the patch using the scratch partition rather than the in-memory visorfs system.

It still does not allow vCenter to power on/off etc. as that is a vCemter function not ESXi and I do not have anything to patch that capability.

My bad! In any case, I ran the patch from a datastore (and verified a scratch partition existed), restarted, but I'm stuck at the Apple logo and spinner...

twisted302

twisted302

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hey guys, I'm new to this stuff just wanted to know if you guys could help, i'm trying to put the 1.3.0 unlocker on my ESXi 5.5

Im trying to do /vmfs/volumes/datastore/esxi/unlock/esxi/install.sh

I get....    cp: can't stat 'local.sh' : no such file or directory

Ive chmod +x install.sh and the local.sh and I Dont get permission denied, anything else I can do or try?

Any help would be awesome. sorry for being a noob!  :blush:

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Hey guys, I'm new to this stuff just wanted to know if you guys could help, i'm trying to put the 1.3.0 unlocker on my ESXi 5.5

Im trying to do /vmfs/volumes/datastore/esxi/unlock/esxi/install.sh

I get....    cp: can't stat 'local.sh' : no such file or directory

Ive chmod +x install.sh and the local.sh and I Dont get permission denied, anything else I can do or try?

Any help would be awesome. sorry for being a noob!  :blush:

twisted302,

A couple of possibilities, firstly you need to run the install.sh command from within the directory it is stored in with the following syntax: ./install.sh

Secondly have you created a persistent scratch location, in vSphere Client select your ESXi host and go to Configuration tab, and under Software select Advanced Settings and then ScratchConfig and add a location on your Datastore in ScratchConfig.ConfiguredScratchLocation. I always create a .scratch directory on my first datastore, the dot makes it hidden. Unfortunately the location cannot use your common name, so you will have to have a dig around using either WinSCP or PuTTY to confirm the hexadecimal for your common name.

twisted302

twisted302

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks for the reply MSoK!!

~ # cd /vmfs/volumes/53502522-95a20c89-8f64-001d09638d64/esxi/unlock/esxi
/vmfs/volumes/53502522-95a20c89-8f64-001d09638d64/esxi/unlock/esxi # ./install.sh
VMware Unlocker 1.3.0
Installing local.sh

ScratchConfig.ConfiguredScratchLocation is created and set too .scratch
asfor the common name i was little confused.

Now what is my next step? 

twisted302

twisted302

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

When I go to boot the VM and run from bootable I get the apple logo and then a circle with a cross.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,966 posts

My bad! In any case, I ran the patch from a datastore (and verified a scratch partition existed), restarted, but I'm stuck at the Apple logo and spinner...

When I go to boot the VM and run from bootable I get the apple logo and then a circle with a cross.

Hi

Can you give us a few more details please:

1. Server CPU being used

2. Version of OS X being used

3. How you created the OS X bootable media

4. Attach a copy of vmware.log from the guest folder (Please do NOT post inline on the reply)

5. Login to the support console and run:

ls -la vmx

and post output

Rubyducky

Rubyducky

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

1. Server CPU being used

-Xeon E3-1245v3

-This is actually a converted Workstation 10 VM (I used the built-in ESXi converter). Currently I'm running nested virtualization with Workstation 10 inside a Windows VM. 

4. Attach a copy of vmware.log from the guest folder (Please do NOT post inline on the reply)

-http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=EgztRNiM

ls -la vmx

and post output

-No such file or directory, should I be running it in "/"?

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: Actually, I booted from the install ISO and it worked. Something must have not transferred from Workstation properly. I believe you can create a "SATA" type disk in Workstation now (and that's what I did), and it may not transfer to ESXi properly...

twisted302

twisted302

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

1. Server CPU being used

2x intel Xeon Cpu L5320 @ 1.86GHz

Ive made a bootable USB and I also tried from NAS share

Attached

~ # ls -la vmx

ls: vmx: No such file or directory

-Also attached is what i see when I either boot from USB or NAS share

Attached Files

Rubyducky

Rubyducky

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Ok yeah, it was the Workstation conversion. I had to create a new VM on ESXi and use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the Workstation vmdk over to ESXi. Looks good so far, vCenter seems to still be working! Thanks so much for your work!

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,966 posts

Ok yeah, it was the Workstation conversion. I had to create a new VM on ESXi and use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the Workstation vmdk over to ESXi. Looks good so far, vCenter seems to still be working! Thanks so much for your work!

Yep - Converter has no knowledge of OS X. It may work if you set the guest to a different OS type first then change it back in ESXi. anyway pleased you got t sorted.

~ # ls -la vmx

ls: vmx: No such file or directory

Ooops - should have been ls -la /bin/vmx

I think that your media is not bootable as this was in the log file.

2014-05-04T01:44:44.248Z| vcpu-0| I120: [msg.Backdoor.OsNotFound] No operating system was found. If you have an operating system installation disc, you can insert the disc into the system's CD-ROM drive and restart the virtual machine.

How did you create it? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy