793 replies to this topic

Vigger

Vigger

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:All kinds of science!

As far as I know the unlocker wont work on a USB install due to the way the filesystem is locked. The only way I've gotten around it was to install on a hard drive, apply the unlock and then clone the partitions to a USB stick and then set the logs to use an existing datastore. It's a lot of extra work unless you really don't want to use a physical drive.

I don't know if it is the new device type (flash->sata hdd), or the usb disk that sits in an other port (before internal, now in the front), but it doesn't work after i cloned to a hard drive,

On boot ESXi writtes following:

VMware Hypervisor Recovery

--------------------------------------

BANK5: Invalid configuration,
BANK6: not a VMware boot bank
No hypervisor found.

Did you have this problem?

Pooch

Pooch

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Yes I did and I swear I did a writeup on this forum about my cloning experience but I can't seem to find it now. As I recall the issue was the GPT not being copied over to the stick properly. I used clonezilla to do it and had to try a few different options before I got it right. I'm pretty sure I ended up having to use gparted to resize the partitions prior to cloning so they'd all fit on the stick. I'll see if I can find my notes on it.

Ok, it's coming back to me now... I had to resize the vmfs partition on my harddrive first using partedutil so it fit onto the usb drive:

http://kb.vmware.com...ernalId=1036609

Then I did a full disk clone using clonezilla so that the GPT was properly copied over to the USB stick (it didn't work when I just selectively grabbed partitions) Once I got everything over to the stick I deleted the vmfs and scratch partitions  and repointed the logs to another datastore so the USB drive wasn't constantly being written to.

nullfork

nullfork

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Can someone tell me if the unlocker / wrapper scripts are ALWAYS necessary for OSX on ESXi non-Apple?

Example; I have installed OSX ML on an AMD based ESXi 5.1 (via the InstallESD/BaseSystem method and amd kernel only) and it works fine. I just wondered why my setup seems to work without the need for patching ESXi?

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Can someone tell me if the unlocker / wrapper scripts are ALWAYS necessary for OSX on ESXi non-Apple?

Example; I have installed OSX ML on an AMD based ESXi 5.1 (via the InstallESD/BaseSystem method and amd kernel only) and it works fine. I just wondered why my setup seems to work without the need for patching ESXi?

nullfork,

Since you are not using the vanilla kernel you do not need the unlocker, To use a vanilla ISO or DMG of OS X you need an Intel VT-x enabled processor and the unlocker for non apple hardware, as to meet Apple's EULA VMware checks the hardware and disables OS X if it does not find Apple hardware, the unlocker removes the check.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

nullfork,

Since you are not using the vanilla kernel you do not need the unlocker, To use a vanilla ISO or DMG of OS X you need an Intel VT-x enabled processor and the unlocker for non apple hardware, as to meet Apple's EULA VMware checks the hardware and disables OS X if it does not find Apple hardware, the unlocker removes the check.

To confirm this answer from MSoK; the AMD kernels have got an extra routine that decrypts the protected binaries directly in the kernel. This is different from a vanilla kernel which require the SMC chip keys to decrypt the protected binaries. One of the things the unlocker does is add the relevant details to the vmware-vmx files to return the correct haiku.

nullfork

nullfork

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

nullfork,

To confirm this answer from MSoK; the AMD kernels have got an extra routine that decrypts the protected binaries directly in the kernel. This is different from a vanilla kernel which require the SMC chip keys to decrypt the protected binaries. One of the things the unlocker does is add the relevant details to the vmware-vmx files to return the correct haiku.

Thanks for the confirmation guys - all makes sense :)

Rubyducky

Rubyducky

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Not sure if this has been mentioned...not even sure if it's worth mentioning!

Since the unlocker isn't compatible with vCenter managed hosts, there's a very kludgey workaround: nested virtualization!

If your hardware is compatible, you can bring up a Windows or Linux VM in ESXi, install Workstation or Player, apply the unlocker to Workstation or Player, and install Mac OS X in Workstation or Player.

Here's a guide to see if your hardware is compatible and to enable nested virtualization support: http://www.virtually...esxi-other.html

I was able to install Mavericks in Workstation in a Windows Server 2012 R2 VM, and it runs with no issues that I can tell. It's not even slow! Definitely not an ideal solution but it seems to work

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Not sure if this has been mentioned...not even sure if it's worth mentioning!

Since the unlocker isn't compatible with vCenter managed hosts, there's a very kludgey workaround: nested virtualization!

If your hardware is compatible, you can bring up a Windows or Linux VM in ESXi, install Workstation or Player, apply the unlocker to Workstation or Player, and install Mac OS X in Workstation or Player.

Here's a guide to see if your hardware is compatible and to enable nested virtualization support: http://www.virtually...esxi-other.html

I was able to install Mavericks in Workstation in a Windows Server 2012 R2 VM, and it runs with no issues that I can tell. It's not even slow! Definitely not an ideal solution but it seems to work

Rubyducky,

VMware, Donk and I use Nested Virtualisation extensively, have a look at the following thread:

http://www.insanelym...n-10/?p=1948132

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

VMware have released ESXi 5.5.0 Update 01 (Build 1623387) which using either the multi product Unlocker (1.2.0) or the ESXi specific Unlocker (1.3.0) works fine with OS X 10.6.8 through 10.9.3. Please note if you are using Unlocker 1.2.0 it will need to be re-installed following the patch update to ESXi 5.5.0 U1.

Donk, the update to 5.5.0 U1 (Build 1623387) did not need Unlocker 1.3.0 re-installing, as the patch did not update the local.sh script file.

Just out of interest all the above testing was carried out using a nested instance of ESXi running in Workstation 10.0.1.

Tedstevens

Tedstevens

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

so this works great in stock esxi 5.5 until you reboot the host.  Then you loose all vsphere management connectivity.  SSH still works, but will not respond to the reboot command, restarting hostd and vpxa fix it sometimes, but this is definitely not ready for even the casual home user at this point.  Unless the mavericks VM is the only VM you are running i suppose...  I used 1.21 and it was rock stable for 3 days until i rebooted my host.  I dont know if there is any reason for me to try 1.30 as all that adds is the persistent scratch partition for usb installs from my understanding.  My install was to a raid1 array on the onboard sas6/ir of my dell t7500.  Surprised there isnt more complaints on this.  I originally patched my dell esxi 5.5 install but later read that it is only for the "vanilla" esxi 5.5 install.  I reloaded with the stock 5.5 image and still was met with the same problems after rebooting the host.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Ted,

I am sorry you have not had a good experience running OS X under ESXi, the reason for no complaints is because with a few caveats all works well.

In terms of caveats, must be a standalone ESXi host, does not support vCenter Server or vCSA for management, should not be used in a production environment.

It does however work with custom versions of ESXi, i.e. HP or Dell, however the additional drivers, etc. the manufacturers add leave little space for the Unlocker to make the required changes, hence the introduction of the Unlocker version 1.3.0 and the use of the scratch volume created on a persistent datastore, rather than within the confines of the base OS. The Unlocker v1.3.0 also survives patch updates, all previous versions required re-applying followed by a re-boot.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

One teensy-weensy point I haven't formally released 1.3.0 yet!  I will look into releasing it next week.

amareto

amareto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi, I used the 1.2.0 on ESXi 5.5 and installed perfectly Mac OS. Then I upgraded ESXi to 5.5u1 and my VM does not start.

Can I try the 1.3.0? Or should I run 1.2.0 again?

Thanks

Tedstevens

Tedstevens

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Ted,

I am sorry you have not had a good experience running OS X under ESXi, the reason for no complaints is because with a few caveats all works well.

In terms of caveats, must be a standalone ESXi host, does not support vCenter Server or vCSA for management, should not be used in a production environment.

It does however work with custom versions of ESXi, i.e. HP or Dell, however the additional drivers, etc. the manufacturers add leave little space for the Unlocker to make the required changes, hence the introduction of the Unlocker version 1.3.0 and the use of the scratch volume created on a persistent datastore, rather than within the confines of the base OS. The Unlocker v1.3.0 also survives patch updates, all previous versions required re-applying followed by a re-boot.

So i had some more time to troubleshoot this from the beginning and it was working surviving reboots.  It wasn't until i passed through my ATI video card and usb 2.0 hub to the mavericks VM that vsphere managment started crapping out ;).  So i guess its only buggy if i am using pci passthrough.  Anyways, thanks for the hard work on this donk!  I will be glad to beta test any new releases.  Not sure why the pci passthrough thing messes it up, but having 3 VMs each with their own video card passed through was badass enough.  Now one of them is a mac!

amareto

amareto

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I'm using PCIe Passthrough too. In my case I want to use a Mac OS Server as NAS/Plex Media Server and I want a Sata card directly to the MAC VM.

When I pass the SATA PCIe card, the VM takes like 6min to start.

Going to try with a non mac VM to test.

Donk thanks for the work on this.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

One teensy-weensy point I haven't formally released 1.3.0 yet!  I will look into releasing it next week.

Donk,

Sorry for jumping the gun, should have checked with you first, let me know if you need me to do any further testing before general release.

Cheers,

MSoK.

So i had some more time to troubleshoot this from the beginning and it was working surviving reboots.  It wasn't until i passed through my ATI video card and usb 2.0 hub to the mavericks VM that vsphere managment started crapping out ;).  So i guess its only buggy if i am using pci passthrough.  Anyways, thanks for the hard work on this donk!  I will be glad to beta test any new releases.  Not sure why the pci passthrough thing messes it up, but having 3 VMs each with their own video card passed through was badass enough.  Now one of them is a mac!

Ted,

Sounds like you are pushing the envelope pretty close to the edge, graphics card pass-through for OS X seems to be very fussy, so have a look at the following thread, it might give you some pointers:

http://www.insanelym...n-vm/?p=1883583

Tedstevens

Tedstevens

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Donk,

Sorry for jumping the gun, should have checked with you first, let me know if you need me to do any further testing before general release.

Cheers,

MSoK.

Ted,

Sounds like you are pushing the envelope pretty close to the edge, graphics card pass-through for OS X seems to be very fussy, so have a look at the following thread, it might give you some pointers:

http://www.insanelym...n-vm/?p=1883583

Thanks for the link!  It actually works great on 5.0, i was just hoping to get it working on 5.5.  I ended up looking up what cards "worked out of box" on this list:

http://wiki.osx86pro...Seeds#AMD.2FATI (hint: there is only one) and picked one up off ebay and it worked great!  Full 2560x1440 on my 27in monitor!  Basically you just need something that mac has drivers built-in so you arent messing with custom kexts and the like.  

I actually was misusing your local.sh thinking it was the new unlocker script and running it directly.  I didnt realize i was supposed to put it in my startup directory and replace the existing one.  It sounds like that solved nadster's issues so i will try that and report back.  

Interestingly enough, i too am using the same board as nadster (supermicro X8DTH-6F) for my main build and am on my 3rd board now.  These things seem super unreliable, i had one come in with bent CPU pins (not SMs fault), one had completely non-functioning nics and now my replacement wont boot esxi with more than 12 gb of ram in it!  It just hangs at "relocating modules and starting up kernel".  Really frustrating.  While i have been waiting on mobo RMAs, i have been using a dell T7500 for testing this on.  Im very close to having the ultimate setup: One win7 VM+gpu passthrough attached to one 27in monitor & one mavericks VM+gpu passthrough on the other 27in monitor all controlled via synergy! http://synergy-foss.org/

Tedstevens

Tedstevens

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I tried the new local.sh on ESXi 5.5 1331820 (removed the ^M's)

sed -e 's/\r//g' local.sh > local.sh.new

cp local.sh.new local.sh

chmod 755 local.sh

reboot

Thanks for that!!  I thought you were one of those cli freaks that uses sed to overly-complicate simple things.  Turned out to be a nice little trick to remove the ^M characters at the end of every line =)  Using this method my host appears to be stable so far (8 hours, no crashes/errors) with dual gpu passthrough running!  Great thread, thanks guys

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Donk,

Cheers,

MSoK.

Just finishing up the packaging for 1.3.0. No changes since you tested apart from 2 simple shell scripts to copy and remove the local.sh file.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Version 1.3.0 uploaded. Fixes are for ESXi only. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy