tpaste

tpaste

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

These tools saved my a$$,

many thanks!

I had removed my ServerVersion.plist, from my VMWare Snow Leopard Server install, and I couldn't boot it on VMWare Fusion 6.0.2. (Mac OSX Mavericks)

I ran the install script, loaded up Snow Leopard, replaced the ServerVersion.plist.

then I ran the uninstall script,

and now everything works as it should.

thanks again for the great tools!

:)  :thumbsup_anim:

nohj

nohj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

I am a bit late to the game but was wondering something. I read that it shouldn't be used in a 'production' environment?

Is it *that* unstable?

I was thinking of using it to run two VMs-- filemaker server and another VM for TM backups.

thank you for any info!

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

I am a bit late to the game but was wondering something. I read that it shouldn't be used in a 'production' environment?

Is it *that* unstable?

I was thinking of using it to run two VMs-- filemaker server and another VM for TM backups.

thank you for any info!

ESXI on its own is fine, the issue seems to be since vCenter 5.5 release the method of patching plus the additional agents installed when adding the ESXi host to vCenter is blowing some internal limits. I am testing a different way of patching  but of course none of this is supported and there are absolutely no guarantees. You use it at your own risk, and I certainly would not rely on it for commercial work or anything where you are depending on it. False economy!

wally007

wally007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

I've been running patched ESXi host since first Haswell was announced and cant tell difference from unpatched host. On its own, it runs very fine, ESXi and all VMs are behaving as they should. 

But under no circumstances I would install this at work though. We have bunch of support contracts ( our dept. alone has 2x Essential+ licenses and other depts have Enterprise licenses ) and I cant imagine what VMware support  would do if they had found out that this is installed. ( neither I want to see my superiors reaction )

I've also run patched ESXi host under vCenter 5.5 and did not find anything wrong with it. But my VMs are 90% Macs at home at the moment and since you cant do any vCenter actions on patched ESXi host (like clone, vMotion, HA, schedules etc )  I removed vCenter and decided to keep it simple until i decide what to do next (either switch back to Windows 7/Server for my Directory services or wait until new Mac Mini is announced and see if I can do with that - this I doubt since 16GB RAM is not enough )

ESXI on its own is fine, the issue seems to be since vCenter 5.5 release the method of patching plus the additional agents installed when adding the ESXi host to vCenter is blowing some internal limits. I am testing a different way of patching  but of course none of this is supported and there are absolutely no guarantees. You use it at your own risk, and I certainly would not rely on it for commercial work or anything where you are depending on it. False economy!

ChrisDenman

ChrisDenman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Wondering if anyone has tried the unlocker on ESXI 5.0 U3? Tried it on a SD card install, segmentation fault. Tried fresh install onto a SSD, also segmentation fault. At first I thought it was something i was doing wrong but after the fresh install im not so sure. Have it successfully working on 5.5 but due to a USB passthrough issue im trying to use it on 5.0.

jrp

jrp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

It could be the bootbank partition running out of space. Please can you uninstall the locker and try the steps here http://www.insanelym...cker/?p=1953036

This seems to have fixed the issues we were having on our old Dell PowerEdge R610 (random disconnects between the vSphere client and ESXi 5.5 host, console not functioning properly).  Thanks!

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

This seems to have fixed the issues we were having on our old Dell PowerEdge R610 (random disconnects between the vSphere client and ESXi 5.5 host, console not functioning properly).  Thanks!

I am working with MSoK on another way to run the unlocker which does not impact the visorfs and bootbank. Will post here once I am satisfied with my method. Can I ask do you have a permanent scratch partition available in your ESXI systems? Indeed if possible could others let me know how thy feel about using the scratch partition to store files?

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

I am working with MSoK on another way to run the unlocker which does not impact the visorfs and bootbank. Will post here once I am satisfied with my method. Can I ask do you have a permanent scratch partition available in your ESXI systems? Indeed if could other let me know how thy feel about using the scratch partition to store files?

Donk,

As I generally install ESXi to SD, I have to create a scratch location on persistent storage, so a good location for the unlocker related flies and backups, if that was what you were thinking.

drodgers

drodgers

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi,

I am new to this and Macs in general. A co-worker mentioned this and I became intrigued. 

Running ESXi 5 U2

Dell R520

Intel Xeon E5-2430

Here is my issue:

/vmfs/volumes/516fe690-969fc25b-e2b5-90b11c13e4e6/unlock-all-v120/unlock-all-v120 # cd esxi
/vmfs/volumes/516fe690-969fc25b-e2b5-90b11c13e4e6/unlock-all-v120/unlock-all-v120/esxi # chmod +x *.*
/vmfs/volumes/516fe690-969fc25b-e2b5-90b11c13e4e6/unlock-all-v120/unlock-all-v120/esxi # ./install.sh
VMware ESXi 5.x Unlocker 1.2.0
===============================
Copyright: Dave Parsons 2011-13
Patching files...
Segmentation fault

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance
DR

abdreis

abdreis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

If you're having Segmentation Faults on 5.0.0 (U2 or U3), use version 1.1.1 of the unlocker instead of 1.2.0.

You can find it on the right sidebar of the download page for 1.2.0.

1.2.0's Unlocker.ESXi isn't working properly with 5.0 for some reason.

Seeing this with:

e338a9b0201256e1fb1d28346ef42cf9  unlock-all-v111/esxi/Unlocker.ESXi
ab487c919219238cc9e1d46bea266f4e  unlock-all-v120/esxi/Unlocker.ESXi

abdreis

abdreis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

If you're having Segmentation Faults on 5.0.0 (U2 or U3), use version 1.1.1 of the unlocker instead of 1.2.0.

You can find it on the right sidebar of the download page for 1.2.0.

1.2.0's Unlocker.ESXi isn't working properly with 5.0 for some reason.

Seeing this with:

e338a9b0201256e1fb1d28346ef42cf9  unlock-all-v111/esxi/Unlocker.ESXi
ab487c919219238cc9e1d46bea266f4e  unlock-all-v120/esxi/Unlocker.ESXi

Well scratch that, all I get when trying to install 10.8 is this:

macForbidden.png

Does this mean that the installer is checking for the SMC and failing?

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Hi,

I am new to this and Macs in general. A co-worker mentioned this and I became intrigued. 

Running ESXi 5 U2

Dell R520

Intel Xeon E5-2430

Here is my issue:

Patching files...
Segmentation fault

DR,

Couple of things are you able to install ESXi 5.5 if so try it with the latest unlocker (1.2.0) it should work fine, also are you running the customised Dell version of ESXi, might be worth trying the vanilla version, as not much space available on the ESXi OS partition for the unlocker files with all the additional Dell drivers, the same is true of the HP version.

Pooch

Pooch

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks for all the hard work on this tool Donk. Has anyone been able to make the unlocker work on an ESXI install on a usb drive yet? I get the following output when I try to run unlocker 1.2 on my esxi 5.5 install:

Deleting darwin.tgz from boot.cfg...

Acquiring lock /tmp/bootbank.lck

/vmfs/volumes/52a2baed-97cbb59e-11ee-902b346a7164/unlock-all-v120/esxi # ./install.sh

Patching files...

Patching bin/vmx

File mapped @0x3ffcec6c010 length 22929216

Found OSK0 @ 0x3ffcfbc4265

Found OSK1 @ 0x3ffcfbc429d

Found SRVR @ 0x3ffcfc541f6

Patching bin/vmx-debug

File mapped @0x3ffcec6c010 length 27924264

Found OSK0 @ 0x3ffcfd3e8e5

Found OSK1 @ 0x3ffcfd3e91d

Found SRVR @ 0x3ffcfdd01f6

Patching bin/vmx-stats

File mapped @0x32002740 length 25723136

Found OSK0 @ 0x32f7cb15

Found OSK1 @ 0x32f7cb4d

Found SRVR @ 0x3300d926

Patching vmwarebase is not supported on this platform

Setting permissions...

Creating darwin.tgz...

bin/

bin/vmx

bin/vmx-debug

bin/vmx-stats

addr: 0, sz: 16065572, flags: 5

addr: 0xf54e3c, sz: 3416524, flags: 6

bin/vmx: textPgs: 3922, fixUpPgs: 0

Aligning executable bin/vmx

addr: 0, sz: 17618636, flags: 5

addr: 0x10ce47c, sz: 3529484, flags: 6

bin/vmx-debug: textPgs: 4301, fixUpPgs: 0

Aligning executable bin/vmx-debug

addr: 0, sz: 16203932, flags: 5

addr: 0xf7643c, sz: 3653996, flags: 6

bin/vmx-stats: textPgs: 3956, fixUpPgs: 0

Aligning executable bin/vmx-stats

Adding darwin.tgz to boot.cfg...

Copying darwin.vgz to /bootbank/darwin.vgz

cp: can't create '/bootbank/darwin.vgz': Read-only file system

Copying darwin.vgz to /bootbank/darwin.vgz failed: 1

I'm assuming the read-only error is due to esxi being installed on a usb drive. Unfortunately there's no mount binary that comes with esxi so I can't remount the volume as rw. Anyone know any other way to achieve a writeable mount on my /bootbank dir? I've also tried stopping the usbarbitrator service as outlined here (http://kb.vmware.com...ernalId=1036340) to see if I can get the usb stick to remount, but no luck. What am I missing here?

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Thanks for all the hard work on this tool Donk. Has anyone been able to make the unlocker work on an ESXI install on a usb drive yet? I get the following output when I try to run unlocker 1.2 on my esxi 5.5 install:

Deleting darwin.tgz from boot.cfg...

/vmfs/volumes/52a2baed-97cbb59e-11ee-902b346a7164/unlock-all-v120/esxi # ./install.sh

Copying darwin.vgz to /bootbank/darwin.vgz

cp: can't create '/bootbank/darwin.vgz': Read-only file system

Copying darwin.vgz to /bootbank/darwin.vgz failed: 1

I'm assuming the read-only error is due to esxi being installed on a usb drive. Unfortunately there's no mount binary that comes with esxi so I can't remount the volume as rw. Anyone know any other way to achieve a writeable mount on my /bootbank dir? I've also tried stopping the usbarbitrator service as outlined here (http://kb.vmware.com...ernalId=1036340) to see if I can get the usb stick to remount, but no luck. What am I missing here?

Pooch,

Not sure why you have the problem, installed ESXi 5.5 on to a 4 GB USB Stick (2 GB would have done), and then installed the unlocker 1.2 without issue, the bootbank short cut and partition are both read/write by default?

Pooch

Pooch

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yup, bootbank and altbootbank are both read only for some reason, not sure if it's by default or due to some other change. I did end up using an ISO injector to add an unsupported nic driver vib to the install originally, perhaps that modified something somewhere? I'll try a fresh stock install and see if that makes a difference.

FutureShock

FutureShock

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Hello anything new with VCenter 5.5 and the unlock script?!

thx

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

A quick heads up, OS X 10.9.1 update has now been released by Apple and works fine in both Workstation 10 and ESXi 5.5, also the pre-release 10.9.2 works fine in both Workstation 10 and ESXi 5.5, using the latest unlocker 1.2.0.

Edited by MSoK, 29 December 2013 - 04:29 PM.

Lowrider6

Lowrider6

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

i am a bit confused. I ran ESXi 5.1 for some time with the unlocked now an everything was nice, until i updated to 5.5 . After the update i could not install OSX on my ESXi, so i tried to run the unlocked V1.2.0 an i got errors telling me that the Volume ist busy. I took an empty HDD an installed a fresh and clean ESXi 5.1 again and without an unlocked running i was able to select a OSX VM as Guest OS and could start the VM. Well it didn't boot into OSX and ended into a spinning Beachball in front of the Apple Bootlogo. But how can it be? How can i select OSX as Guset without the unlocked on a fresh system? and what do i have to do to get a OSX VM up and running again?

Attached File  esxi5.5-unlocker-error.png   80.84KB   7 downloads

Thnx

Dirk

Batmacc

Batmacc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Hello Lowrider6,
the behaviour you noticed is "normal" That is, ESX 5.1 will allow you to install Mac OS X on a "fresh" ESXi 5.1 install because it supports installing Mac OS X on Apple Hardware. If you attempt to install Mac OS X on ESXi 5.1 without the unlocker on non APple hardware, you will be able to "install" the guest OS, but get the grey screen with beach ball (or grey gear). The recommended method when upgrading (or simply updating) ESXi is to first, uninstall the unlocker (run the uninstall script) then update or upgrade ESXi, then reinstall he unlocker. I bet that if you run the unlocker on the "fresh" ESXi 5.1 install you mention above, your Mac OS guest will boot normally. OR install 5.5 then the latest unlocker and you should be good to go. Please note the major changes in ESXi 5.5 before considering upgrading however!

Nadster

Nadster

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I am experiencing a problem with the ESXi hostd daemon consistently crashing once I apply the latest unlocker patch and attempt to manage the host using the Windows vSphere Client. Two error dialogs are presented: a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library runtime error and a Connection Failure asking if I want to login again. The running VMs are unaffected.

If I login again, the Windows vSphere Client seems to work fine with the exception of VM console access. Console windows do not appear to connect to the VMs with each window showing a blank display.

The ESXi host shows a core dump file named hostd-worker-zdump.000. ESXi automatically reloads hostd, evident with its new GID. However, nothing short of a host reboot will allow me full console access to running VMs. Of course, shortly after rebooting, hostd will eventually crash again…

If I remove the unlocker patch, everything works without issue.

It appears something changed with ESXi 5.5.0, as previous versions worked without issue with the unlocker patch.

Installation is on a new install of ESXi 5.5.0 (1331820) running on a dual L5639 Supermicro X8DTH-6F motherboard with 48 GB of memory. I also use the script that compresses the darwin.vgz file prior to installation.

Any ideas?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy