ESXi 5 Mac OS X Unlocker

Donk

817 posts in this topic

Bad news! 

VMware have removed the mechanisms used in the patcher to override the SMC and OS X Server checks in new Tech Preview of Workstation 11 and Fusion 7. May have to go back to adding FakeSMC to installation images.

Will keep looking but in the meantime do not use the Tech Previews if you want to have OS X guest compatibility.

Sorry for posting twice but important news if you rely on the unlocker, Started a thread here.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298257-vmware-tech-preview-2014-and-unlocker/?p=2022388

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running OS X on Workstation. I've given it 4GB RAM, 2 CPUs with 2 Cores per CPU. And, I also installed the darwin tools that came along with the bundle. How do I increase the performance? The magnification of the dock for instance isn't smooth. 

Many eye-candy features in OS X only work properly (or at all) with Quartz Extreme/Core Image, which require naked GPU power. Even Zenith's VMsvga2 driver can't provide that.

If you want to run multiple operating systems simultaneously with full GPU support, you could look into using ESXi instead of Workstation. PCI passthru can give each OS its own GPU. Of course that means you need multiple GPUs, and either multiple monitors or a way to switch inputs.

hello,

I have tried to run Mac OSX on ESXI 5.5 on a HP Microserver.
But I always get the apple logo and it does not go any further.

Can anyone help me ?
Thanks,

1. Server CPU being used

AMD Turion II Neo N54L Dual-Core Processor 2.2GHz

2. Version of OS X being used

10.8 and 10.9

3. How you created the OS X bootable media

Download the iso/vmdk from the web.
I have tried 2 methods (iso,cdrom / vmdk,disk) with 2 diferent versions  (10.8 / 10.9)

10.8 (InstallESD.iso)

10.9 (OS X Mavericks.vmdk)

4. Attach a copy of vmware.log from the guest folder

5. Login to the support console and run: ls -la vmx and post output

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            16 Jun  8 15:00 /bin/vmx -> /scratch/osx/vmx

ESXI-install.txt

1. Server CPU being used

AMD Turion II Neo N54L Dual-Core Processor 2.2GHz

OS X does not natively support AMD chips and so you will need to use an AMD specific kernel. I do have something else I am testing  - are you happy editing VMX files on the ESXi server?

Sure, I can edit the vmx files.

OK can you attach a vmware.log file of any guest on the server so I can check the CPUID information please? Please use a file attachment rather than post inline in the thread. Thanks

• Like 1

OK - I think I can build a CPUID mask for this CPU which makes it look like an Intel CPU. Will get back tomorrow as evening in UK and I have some other things to do.

• Like 1

OK - I think I can build a CPUID mask for this CPU which makes it look like an Intel CPU. Will get back tomorrow as evening in UK and I have some other things to do.

Sorry - but checked the capabilities of this CPU and it will not work with the CPUID masking I have found. It does not have SSSE3 instructions or SSE4.x. So you will need to use an AMD kernel in the installation image to make this work. Check the Developers AMD section of the forums. Good luck.

Sorry - but checked the capabilities of this CPU and it will not work with the CPUID masking I have found. It does not have SSSE3 instructions or SSE4.x. So you will need to use an AMD kernel in the installation image to make this work. Check the Developers AMD section of the forums. Good luck.

Thanks alot Donk you saved me alot of time.

Cheers

I can't seem to use any boot loader with EFI in EXSI 5.5. I have a working OSX 10.9 but need to fix iMessage. All fixes seem to need Chameleon or another boot loader. I always get the grey apple startup even trying to use boot manager. I found one page about trying to use the unsupported EFI shell but boot isn't an option. I can't seem to find a boot command from the shell.

Thanks

I'm having some issues with installing any version of osx with 1.3 of the unlocker on my ESXi 5.1 setup. My server is running on a dell t110 ii server with xeon e3-1230 v2 processor. I've followed a few videos on youtube and read everything I could find but no luck. The files were run from a datastore and seemed to run correctly and I rebooted as indicated. Every time I try to install OSX I get a grey screen and it just sits there. I've tried 10.6 from a retail disc (converted to an iso myself) and 2 versions of 10.9 that were adjusted to do a clean install for a regular hackintosh. I've confirm that I have a persistant scratch location as well.

My ESXi is installed and running on a 4gb USB drive internally but my datastore is a separate mirrored raid drive. Is that an issue?

The unlocker was transfered to the datastore and run from there. Should it be located on and installed from the persistant scratch location?

I'm having some issues with installing any version of osx with 1.3 of the unlocker on my ESXi 5.1 setup. My server is running on a dell t110 ii server with xeon e3-1230 v2 processor. I've followed a few videos on youtube and read everything I could find but no luck. The files were run from a datastore and seemed to run correctly and I rebooted as indicated. Every time I try to install OSX I get a grey screen and it just sits there. I've tried 10.6 from a retail disc (converted to an iso myself) and 2 versions of 10.9 that were adjusted to do a clean install for a regular hackintosh. I've confirm that I have a persistant scratch location as well.

My ESXi is installed and running on a 4gb USB drive internally but my datastore is a separate mirrored raid drive. Is that an issue?

The unlocker was transfered to the datastore and run from there. Should it be located on and installed from the persistant scratch location?

1. Can you uninstall the unlocker and then re-install capturing the out for me please?

2. Where is the scratch partition located and is a /scratch directory present in ESXi?

3. Is there the file here /etc/rc.local.d/local.sh the same a sthe one extracted on the datastore?

4. Do not use any hacks on the ISO you create - VMware will not work with them using this method as they often add KEXTs another things that are incompatible. Images should be from the clean downloads from Apple.,

Donk! Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry... I'm a bit of a newb with ESXi but trying to learn asap.

1. Can you uninstall the unlocker and then re-install capturing the out for me please?

I will do this later today and post the results.

2. Where is the scratch partition located and is a /scratch directory present in ESXi?

I have a scratch directory located here: /vmfs/volumes/52b7162d-81209616-f759-d4ae52c47096/.locker

I am unsure about the scratch partion. I assumed the scratch location was the same space used by ESXi for storage.

3. Is there the file here /etc/rc.local.d/local.sh the same a sthe one extracted on the datastore?

There is a file in that location with the exact same name. Not sure how to compare the 2 files via an ssh connection.

4. Do not use any hacks on the ISO you create - VMware will not work with them using this method as they often add KEXTs another things that are incompatible. Images should be from the clean downloads from Apple.,

Gotcha! I will review the steps I took for the creation of hte ISO from the retail 10.6 disc. IIRC I created a DMG from the disc and use the command line in OSX to convert to an ISO. Some people posted extra steps about resizing the file to 9gig, etc but I didn't for this file.

Donk! Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry... I'm a bit of a newb with ESXi but trying to learn asap.

I will do this later today and post the results.

I have a scratch directory located here: /vmfs/volumes/52b7162d-81209616-f759-d4ae52c47096/.locker

I am unsure about the scratch partion. I assumed the scratch location was the same space used by ESXi for storage.

There is a file in that location with the exact same name. Not sure how to compare the 2 files via an ssh connection.

Gotcha! I will review the steps I took for the creation of hte ISO from the retail 10.6 disc. IIRC I created a DMG from the disc and use the command line in OSX to convert to an ISO. Some people posted extra steps about resizing the file to 9gig, etc but I didn't for this file.

2. Go to the root of the file system in ssh "cd /" and then run "ls" and see if there is a /scratch folder

3. The file size should be approx. 712KB

2. Go to the root of the file system in ssh "cd /" and then run "ls" and see if there is a /scratch folder

Yes. There is a scatch folder.

3. The file size should be approx. 712KB

The file is 711753... so I think it's good.

I'm begining to think that the ISO I made might have been botched in some way. I will attempt to create another iso from the retail 10.6 disc and retry.

So I converted the 10.6 dmg (created from a retail disc and without isolating "InstallESD.dmg") to an iso again with DMG2IMG and uploaded to my datastore. The vm is still not installing. I get the grey screen with apple logo but after a few moments, it changes to and circle/line indicating a failure. I will attempt to uninstall and reinstall the inlocker later tonight and post results on the install.

So I converted the 10.6 dmg (created from a retail disc and without isolating "InstallESD.dmg") to an iso again with DMG2IMG and uploaded to my datastore. The vm is still not installing. I get the grey screen with apple logo but after a few moments, it changes to and circle/line indicating a failure. I will attempt to uninstall and reinstall the inlocker later tonight and post results on the install.

wired1234,

You should be able to install from the original DVD, or I use ImgBurn to convert to an ISO, however since the Snow Leopard DVD is 10.6.3 it is not supported by your processor, so you will need to edit the vmx configuration file and add a CPUID mask, once you upgrade beyond 10.6.4 the mask will no longer be required, have a look at the end of my first post in the following thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290949-how-to-install-os-x-10x-snow-leopard-lion-mountain-lion-and-mavericks-in-vmware-workstation-910-or-player-56/?p=1936143

wired1234,

You should be able to install from the original DVD, or I use ImgBurn to convert to an ISO, however since the Snow Leopard DVD is 10.6.3 it is not supported by your processor, so you will need to edit the vmx configuration file and add a CPUID mask, once you upgrade beyond 10.6.4 the mask will no longer be required, have a look at the end of my first post in the following thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290949-how-to-install-os-x-10x-snow-leopard-lion-mountain-lion-and-mavericks-in-vmware-workstation-910-or-player-56/?p=1936143

MSoK good catch - I missed that!

Its starting to look like using my 10.6 retail disc might be more trouble than it's worth IMHO. I'd still have to update to 10.6.8 and then to 10.9. I'm going to redo a version of 10.9 from the app store download and retry. I'll report back with results. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick heads up, all is well with the latest ESXi patch (ESXi550-201407001.zip) released on the 1st July 2014 which takes ESXi 5.5.0 U1 to build 1892794, unlocker 1.3.0 works fine with Mavericks 10.9.4 (13E28), no need to re-install.