• Please log in to reply
728 replies to this topic

ipas

ipas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Unfortunately I have some critical problems with osx-unlocker version 1.2 on Vsphere ESXi 5.5. I got two issues:

1. The management webservice seems unstable. I got a "503 Service unavailable" after a boot of the esxi server. When I restart de management interfaces in the console the webservice is sometimes running.

2. Opening a console in VCenter Web Client does not work anymore. Got this error: "Unable to connect to the MKS: The operation is not allowed in the current state". Sometimes I got this error also: "Unable to connect to the MKS: A general system error occurred: Invalid response code: 503 Service Unavailable".

After uninstalling the unlocker these problems disappear.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Unfortunately I have some critical problems with osx-unlocker version 1.2 on Vsphere ESXi 5.5. I got two issues:

1. The management webservice seems unstable. I got a "503 Service Unstable" after a boot of the esxi server. When I restart de management interfaces in the console the webservice is sometimes running.

2. Opening a console in VCenter Web Client does not work anymore. Got this error: "Unable to connect to the MKS: The operation is not allowed in the current state". Sometimes I got this error also: "Unable to connect to the MKS: A general system error occurred: Invalid response code: 503 Service Unavailable".

You cannot really use these patched ESXi hosts with vCenter. This has been a limitation from day 1.

ipas

ipas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

A bit true but the only limitation Vcenter had with with version 5.1 and earlier is not having the ability to start/stop a OSX VM with Vcenter. I could easily bypass this connecting directing to the patched host using the Vsphere Client. The management interface of the host itself seems unstable now and the Vcenter webconsole of every VM of the patched host is not working anymore.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,927 posts

A bit true but the only limitation Vcenter had with with version 5.1 and earlier is not having the ability to start/stop a OSX VM with Vcenter. I could easily bypass this connecting directing to the patched host using the Vsphere Client. The management interface of the host itself seems unstable now and the Vcenter webconsole of every VM of the patched host is not working anymore.

I understand that there are additional issues but frankly the patcher only adds some strings to 3 files. I suspect the vCenter host agents are doing some checks, but I have no idea what they are. To be brutally honest the work was only for free ESXi and was opportunistic as the patching was the same as needed for Workstation which was my original aim.

I will update the front page stating this. Thanks for the feedback.

ipas

ipas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Indeed.. and I'm very happy with this patch anyway. I will test the configuration with another machine with different hardware to be sure. If there is another outcome i'll let you know. :)

... tested this on the other esx server: Have not seen the 503 error, but also got the console issue.

cshotton

cshotton

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Allegedly ESXi 5.5 includes support for Mac OS X 10.8.x. Yet my new 5.5 install failed completely at booting Mac OS X VMs until I reapplied Unlocker 1.2. Is this expected behavior? What is behind VMware saying it's compatible with 10.8.x? Did I miss something?

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,927 posts

Allegedly ESXi 5.5 includes support for Mac OS X 10.8.x. Yet my new 5.5 install failed completely at booting Mac OS X VMs until I reapplied Unlocker 1.2. Is this expected behavior? What is behind VMware saying it's compatible with 10.8.x? Did I miss something?

Yes VMware do support ESXi and OS X but only on Apple hardware. The unlocker opens that up to all hardware.

ebob9

ebob9

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

1. The management webservice seems unstable. I got a "503 Service unavailable" after a boot of the esxi server. When I restart de management interfaces in the console the webservice is sometimes running.

I am having similar issues to what ipas mentioned, but in a non-vCenter environment.

• Random failures in vSphere thick/legacy client (usually HTTP 503 errors or full disconnects).
  • Console sessions would never open for powered-on VMs (not just OSX VMs). Shutting down a VM, then connecting to console works until you disconnect.

This was all working fine on ESX 5.1

I upgraded my ESXi 5.1 system to 5.5, then re-applied the unlock 1.2 patch. After the patch, these issues began to appear. After a while, I booted back to the altbootbank to go back to 5.1. Everything worked fine from that point.

My first thought was that this was a generic ESX 5.5 issue, and not related to the unlocker. After a few days of searches, no mention of this issue on the ESX forums. It still could be a generic 5.5 issue, but the lack of mention on other places worries me that it might be more than just correlation.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,927 posts

There are issues like this documented when upgrading from 5.0 to 5.1. You will need to see if there are any events in the client. To recover you need to restart the management services on the host. The code in the unlocker for ESXi hasn't changed for a long time, so it is either a coincidence or something is integrity checking the vmx executable files and shutting things down.

UPDATE: There are other issues which may be related to the client machine and the Windows TCP stack parameters. Also some proxy software can cause the issue. Whatever is happening I will need more information.

wally007

wally007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

I am having similar issues to what ipas mentioned, but in a non-vCenter environment.

• Random failures in vSphere thick/legacy client (usually HTTP 503 errors or full disconnects).

I had exact problem on yet unpatched host so i do not think it has anything to do with unlocking patch. Its very obvious that Windows Client received next to no love from VMWARE while all efforts were put into the Web Client. ( is it going to be default client in ESXi 6 ? )

Anyway, I've been running 2 Mac VMs and 2 Windows VMs on 5.5 host for 24 hours without any stability problems so far. I've yet to test vCenter install but will do the install this weekend  to see if it has really implemented further checks. That would be very unfortunate :(

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,927 posts

I had exact problem on yet unpatched host so i do not think it has anything to do with unlocking patch. Its very obvious that Windows Client received next to no love from VMWARE while all efforts were put into the Web Client. ( is it going to be default client in ESXi 6 ? )

Anyway, I've been running 2 Mac VMs and 2 Windows VMs on 5.5 host for 24 hours without any stability problems so far. I've yet to test vCenter install but will do the install this weekend  to see if it has really implemented further checks. That would be very unfortunate :(

I just made a change to config.xml for hostd and it has broken the service. Clean ESXi 5.5.0 no patches or messing about with it. Looking at the stack logs hostd daemon is faulting. I think this is a general issue.

duke^Coke

duke^Coke

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi, i have now tried for days to install osx in esxi. I have installed the unlocker and i have tried with the vmdk files from the Soul Dev Team and i have tried to boot from usb and from iso, but every time i get the same error: Error Loading Kernelcache: 

99nh4k.png

What have i done wrong?

EDIT: I fixed it the moment i posted this. I forgot to select OSX x64 in settings

cshotton

cshotton

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I apologize if this is in the wrong topic. I have the following situation and wanted to see if it is common or not. I have ESXi 5.5 (unlocked with 1.2 unlocker) running on a middle of the road i5 system with 8 GB of RAM. I had upgraded from 5.1 in hopes of solving the following problem, but the system behavior seems identical. Whenever the Mac OS X 10.8.5 Server guest OS performs significant disk I/O between 2 attached USB drives, the entire machine crashes. Not just the VM, but the entire ESXi host, taking out all other guests as well.

Linux and Win7 VMs can run for weeks without a hiccup, but Mac OS hosts will crash within 30 minutes as soon as a large amount of disk I/O begins (e.g., Time Machine backup.)

Is this as good as Mac OS X can run under ESXi? Or is there something else amiss?

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,927 posts

I apologize if this is in the wrong topic. I have the following situation and wanted to see if it is common or not. I have ESXi 5.5 (unlocked with 1.2 unlocker) running on a middle of the road i5 system with 8 GB of RAM. I had upgraded from 5.1 in hopes of solving the following problem, but the system behavior seems identical. Whenever the Mac OS X 10.8.5 Server guest OS performs significant disk I/O between 2 attached USB drives, the entire machine crashes. Not just the VM, but the entire ESXi host, taking out all other guests as well.

Linux and Win7 VMs can run for weeks without a hiccup, but Mac OS hosts will crash within 30 minutes as soon as a large amount of disk I/O begins (e.g., Time Machine backup.)

Is this as good as Mac OS X can run under ESXi? Or is there something else amiss?

My real Mac does the same. There are lots of complaints on Apple forums about this happening.

wally007

wally007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

I'm happy to report that vCenter 5.5 with Unlocker works same way as it did in 5.1. Same limitations apply (unfortunately) but otherwise it works great.

Even HTML5 Console works after you fix silly VMware bug with env. variables. Console works on Windows, Linux and Mac machines and it's much faster and responsive than old Windows Client console.

I must add that Web client is resource hungry dog. It's probably due to heavy use of Flash but Its slow and I cant see myself using it at work. I hope VMware switches to HTML5 and Flash dies FAST. 

ThinkpadFan

ThinkpadFan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

My real Mac does the same. There are lots of complaints on Apple forums about this happening.

I never realized that; I always thought this is only happening to me in my VM... thanks for clearing that up!

lordsiris

lordsiris

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I'm happy to report that vCenter 5.5 with Unlocker works same way as it did in 5.1. Same limitations apply (unfortunately) but otherwise it works great.

Even HTML5 Console works after you fix silly VMware bug with env. variables. Console works on Windows, Linux and Mac machines and it's much faster and responsive than old Windows Client console.

I must add that Web client is resource hungry dog. It's probably due to heavy use of Flash but Its slow and I cant see myself using it at work. I hope VMware switches to HTML5 and Flash dies FAST. 

wally007, could you elaborate on the limitations? I would like to use vcenter 5.5 on esxi 5.5 primarily with the webgui. Sounds like you confirmed this worked with the 1.2 unlocker, did I understand that correctly? Also could you explain how to fix the env. variables item you mentioned?

Thanks!

wally007

wally007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Limitations of the vCenter WebGUI is that you can not power up the Mac Virtual Machine, you can not clone it and you can not use HA or migration features.

For powering up VM you'll have to use vSphere client and connect directly to the host. I have my Mac VM to automaticly start-up with the host so I almost never have to do it. If I need to reboot the VM< i just VNC into the Mac VM and reboot the Mac OS within.

Unlocker 1.2 did work for me and I'm using vCenter as I use Mac only as a server and i usually just ssh in. Windows and Linux VM's are fully compatible, as far as I tried (ie. you can clone the Windows VM just fine )

Here is the article how to fix the new HTML5 console.

http://www.virtually...work-after.html

Hope this helps

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Just a quick heads up, with the recent release of OS X 10.9 GM Seed taking Mavericks to Build 13A598 and also a supplemental update to OS X 10.8.5 taking Mountain Lion to Build 12F45, I can confirm both are working fine in ESXi 5.5.

Ka Hooli

Ka Hooli

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
VMware ESXi 5.x Unlocker 1.2.0
===============================
Copyright: Dave Parsons 2011-13
Patching files...
Patching bin/vmx
File mapped @0x3fff2b3c010 length 22929216
Found OSK0 @ 0x3fff3a94265
Found OSK1 @ 0x3fff3a9429d
Found SRVR @ 0x3fff3b241f6
Patching bin/vmx-debug
File mapped @0x3fff2b3c010 length 27924264
Found OSK0 @ 0x3fff3c0e8e5
Found OSK1 @ 0x3fff3c0e91d
Found SRVR @ 0x3fff3ca01f6
Patching bin/vmx-stats
File mapped @0x32002740 length 25723136
Found OSK0 @ 0x32f7cb15
Found OSK1 @ 0x32f7cb4d
Found SRVR @ 0x3300d926
Patching vmwarebase is not supported on this platform
Setting permissions...
Creating darwin.tgz...
bin/
bin/vmx
bin/vmx-debug
bin/vmx-stats
addr: 0, sz: 16065572, flags: 5
addr: 0xf54e3c, sz: 3416524, flags: 6
bin/vmx: textPgs: 3922, fixUpPgs: 0
Aligning executable bin/vmx
addr: 0, sz: 17618636, flags: 5
addr: 0x10ce47c, sz: 3529484, flags: 6
bin/vmx-debug: textPgs: 4301, fixUpPgs: 0
Aligning executable bin/vmx-debug
addr: 0, sz: 16203932, flags: 5
addr: 0xf7643c, sz: 3653996, flags: 6
bin/vmx-stats: textPgs: 3956, fixUpPgs: 0
Aligning executable bin/vmx-stats
Adding darwin.tgz to boot.cfg...
Acquiring lock /tmp/bootbank.lck
Copying darwin.vgz to /bootbank/darwin.vgz
cp: error writing to '/bootbank/darwin.vgz': No space left on device
Copying darwin.vgz to /bootbank/darwin.vgz failed: 1

Hey, long time reader, first post...

I'm getting the error above under ESXi 5.5.

When I run the following, I get this output...

# df -h /bootbank
Filesystem   Size   Used Available Use% Mounted on
VMFS-5     232.8G 165.5G     67.3G  71% /vmfs/volumes/Operating Systems
VMFS-5       2.7T   2.7T      8.0M 100% /vmfs/volumes/Data 2
VMFS-5       2.7T   2.7T      8.0M 100% /vmfs/volumes/Data 1
vfat       249.7M 249.2M    568.0K 100% /vmfs/volumes/d7e74ee2-3e936149-8a7b-27a1934ec1a3
vfat       249.7M 146.4M    103.4M  59% /vmfs/volumes/fb2745ee-2b19c1b9-364f-70789c4fa29d
vfat       285.8M 191.3M     94.6M  67% /vmfs/volumes/50fd9f3b-fa88e970-9e33-6805ca114558

...so yes, I've run out of space on the "/vmfs/volumes/d7e74ee2-3e936149-8a7b-27a1934ec1a3" volume which is "/bootbank".

The top volume is where I have my VM's stored, the next two is where I have data for my file server stored.  The last three volumes are on the 2GB USB key plugged inside my server that has ESXi 5.5 installed on it.

I've tried searching online on how to try and expand or resize the bootbank volume, but so far not having much luck.  Is anyone able to help with this?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy