793 replies to this topic

Acestes

Acestes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Dmitry,

It certainly is possible to get it up and running on an AMD system as I have done it as per this post http://www.insanelym...25#entry1916061 I haven't actually installed it from scratch though as I didn't have a pre-patched installer.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Dmitry,

Sorry for my misunderstanding of your issue, I think with all AMD kernels you will have to set the Guest operating system as "Other" and Version as "FreeBSD" or "FreeBSD 64-bit" rather than "Apple Mac OS X" and Version "Mac OS X 10.8 64-bit". In your .vmx file that might translate to guestOS = "freebsd" or "freebsd-64" rather than "darwin10-64".

Dmitry - Are you using vCenter to power it on. If so you can't, you have to connect to the ESXi server directly for power operations.

KBCNa

KBCNa

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Everybody... Virtualize it!

KBCNa,

We seem to have some confusion, this thread is for discussion regarding installing the Unlocker now at version 1.1.1 on an ESXi 5 host and the subsequent troubleshooting in respect of installing a vanilla version of OS X. All you posts are related to upgrading ESXi, and looking at you last post you are doing an upgrade on a nested instance of ESXi, as you are showing no hardware virtualisation available, which is turned on by default in BIOS on HP DL380 G7 Servers. Unless you are able to pass-through a processor to your nested ESXi, vanilla OS X is not going to install.

We are not here to troubleshoot ESXi patching, you need to go the VMware forum.

However, ESXi upgrades normally works fine, are you running the vanilla version of ESXi or the HP version, you will need to patch accordingly, also it may be worth trying a manual esxcli of the relevant .zip file.

dear MSoK

actually I'm not here to ask how to enable hardware virtualization...

my issue is exactly the process of patching esxi i placed those screen shots, cause one of members requested. and my question is "could that virtualization warning be a point driving me into error?" as you may take  a second look over screen shots, there is a error dialogue as a result of running patcher script? what is possibly wrong with the process of patching? I'm using a general edition of esxi and all the things are well with my VMs and hardware...

could any body leave a step by step by step guide for me or do a favor, checking my screen shots to see if i'm not wrong through process?

thanks everybody

Dmitry R

Dmitry R

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Dmitry - Are you using vCenter to power it on. If so you can't, you have to connect to the ESXi server directly for power operations.

Yes, I was using vCenter. When I started the machine having connected directly to the ESXi host, everything became OK. I don't know where did I miss this point, but now all is OK. Thank you, Donk

Dmitry R

Dmitry R

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

BTW, is there any way to use vCenter to manage working osx machine to have HA and DRS available for it?

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Dmitry,

Unless you are using Apple hardware, i.e. Mini Mac's or Mac Pro's you cannot use vCenter and any of the related services like HA and DRS.

wurst001

wurst001

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

VMWare has started releasing Fusion 6.0, Player 6.0, etc.

Unlocker 1.1.1 seems to works somewhat - however, patching vmwarebase.dll fails since no matches are found.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

VMWare has started releasing Fusion 6.0, Player 6.0, etc.

Unlocker 1.1.1 seems to works somewhat - however, patching vmwarebase.dll fails since no matches are found.

Wrong topic - see here http://www.insanelym...cker/?p=1943328

BzowK

BzowK

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hey Guys - 

Just installed ESX 5.1 on my old "home server" for dev testing and recently upgraded it with a 256GB SSD datastore (actually used 25 of it for host caching.)  I ran the unlocker on it, then used VMWare Converter 5.1 to transfer a fully working 10.8.3 OSX VM from VMWare Workstation to the ESX server.  I never got it to start up correctly on ESX, but finally was able to get it to by changing the Boot Firmware from EFI to BIOS.  After this, the VM booted normally (at first.)

I got to the first screen prompted for country without issue, but then realized that the mouse didn't work.  I tried using the keyboard (TAB) to switch between the windows which didn't work as I thought it should, but did provide some feedback at least on the screen.  The mouse never moved at all - even though the cursor appeared at the left side of the screen.

Any ideas for how to resolve this?  Thanks!

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Hey Guys - 

Just installed ESX 5.1 on my old "home server" for dev testing and recently upgraded it with a 256GB SSD datastore (actually used 25 of it for host caching.)  I ran the unlocker on it, then used VMWare Converter 5.1 to transfer a fully working 10.8.3 OSX VM from VMWare Workstation to the ESX server.  I never got it to start up correctly on ESX, but finally was able to get it to by changing the Boot Firmware from EFI to BIOS.  After this, the VM booted normally (at first.)

I got to the first screen prompted for country without issue, but then realized that the mouse didn't work.  I tried using the keyboard (TAB) to switch between the windows which didn't work as I thought it should, but did provide some feedback at least on the screen.  The mouse never moved at all - even though the cursor appeared at the left side of the screen.

Any ideas for how to resolve this?  Thanks!

BzowK,

Which version of Workstation are you using, and what is the hardware compatibility set for your OS X VM before conversion? I have yet to get an OS X VM to convert, especially if it was created in Workstation 9 with hardware compatibility set to version 9. If you install a new OS X VM in ESXi 5.1.0 U1 it uses hardware compatibility version 8, and any attempt to move it to version 9 stops the OS X VM from booting, and you cannot go back!

So I think you will have to create a new OS X VM in ESXi 5.1.0 U1, pending the imminent arrival of ESXi 5.5.

Dmitry R

Dmitry R

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Dmitry,

Unless you are using Apple hardware, i.e. Mini Mac's or Mac Pro's you cannot use vCenter and any of the related services like HA and DRS.

I've finally decided to set the VM type as CentOS x64, Installed Clover and fakesmc.kext to EFI partition and have now all the vCenter features available. I was afraid that where will be a kind of a performance degradation, but everything's fine.

Dmitry

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Dmitry,

Thanks for the update, I am glad you found a solution, I should perhaps of clarified my original quote, and said: If you want to run Vanilla OS X virtual machines with vCenter Server functionality you need to run ESXi hosts on Apple hardware.

MSoK.

reebzor

reebzor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Just wanted to post that I updated to 10.8.5 successfully on ESXi 5.1 U1 with no issues

wally007

wally007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Just wanted to post that I updated to 10.8.5 successfully on ESXi 5.1 U1 with no issues

Thanks for letting us know. I was just about to ask :-) 

Has anything changed ? 

Wenle Z.

Wenle Z.

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

I have an Machine with Intel i7 3770, non-K version. Can I use ESX5.1 and passthrough the iGPU HD4000 to the OSx VM?  Or i do need a dedicated video card?

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Wenle Z,

I think currently the answer is probably no, sqreszcz has done some great work on GPU pass through, but needed a specific dedicated AMD graphics card to make it work, see link below, although this is not in line with the vGPU support offered by VMware in vSphere 5.1 but extended support is being included in ESXi 5.5, see the extract from the "What's New in VMware vSphere 5.5 Platform" below:

"vSphere 5.1 was the first vSphere release to provide support for hardware-accelerated 3D graphics—virtual graphics processing unit (vGPU)—inside of a virtual machine. That support was limited to only NVIDIA-based GPUs. With vSphere 5.5, vGPU support has been expanded to include both Intel- and AMD-based GPUs. Virtual machines with graphic-intensive workloads or applications that typically have required hardware-based GPUs can now take advantage of additional vGPU vendors, makes and models."

http://www.insanelym...untain-lion-vm/

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

New version 1.2.0 released for latest hosted products. See first post for details.

wally007

wally007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

I just wanted to update everyone about vSphere and about adding a Unlocked host to vCenter ( I was using vCenter Virtual Appliance )

-Settings were accessible and I was able to change all setting for all my Mac VM's via vCenter.

-I was able to passthrough EyeTV DTT and EyeTV SAT USB TV tuners and EyeTV software worked as perfect as it did on real Mac Pro.

-I was NOT able to turn ON the VM or restart it via vCenter. I either had to VNC into the virtual Mac and reboot it or log into the host and reboot it that way.

-I was able to schedule Mac VM to autostart with the host and shut down with the host. It worked as expected.

-I was NOT able to clone Mac VMs. This was my biggest let down :-)

The reason why in the end I removed the Unlocked host from vCenter ( although I doubt it was a problem of Unlocker ) was that when I shut down the host from within vCenter, i ALWAYS lost access to iLOM ( Intel vPro or AMT )

I've never experienced anything like this but in the end it is easily reproducible. When host was shut down WHILE paired to vCenter, Intel's AMT would become unresponsive after power down. (so I had no way to turn it back on). I've been banging my head for couple of day now and reinstalled ESXi twice and by doing everything step-by-step, pattern became clear. 

I dont know what kind of power management is built into vCenter but its obviously doing something abnormal with ATX power management because it completely shuts down power to MOBO after power off.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Just a quick heads up with the recent release of ESXi 5.5 (Build 1331820), so far OS X 10.8.5 runs and installs fine using the latest unlocker (1.2.0) from Donk and Zenith432, I will test 10.7 and 10.9 and update once tested.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Just a quick heads up with the recent release of ESXi 5.5 (Build 1331820), so far OS X 10.8.5 runs and installs fine using the latest unlocker (1.2.0) from Donk and Zenith432, I will test 10.7 and 10.9 and update once tested.

Thanks for testing it out. I can also confirm it works OK on ESXi 5.5. Existing limitations regarding vCenter to manage the patched host remain.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy