• Please log in to reply
741 replies to this topic

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
Just for information OS X 10.8.3 was released 14th March 2013, and I have successfully installed the OS X 10.8.3 update under both ESXi 5.1 and Workstation 9.0.2 using both the downloaded combo update and via software update.
  • cb4 likes this

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts
New Home for Download
http://www.insanelym...ocker-for-os-x/

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

New Home for Download
http://www.insanelym...ocker-for-os-x/

I have also uploaded the VMware CDS Repository link for all versions of the darwin.iso including the latest darwin.iso (5.0.3) to the new InsanelyMac download area see link below:

http://www.insanelym...e/31-darwiniso/

Please note: I originally posted the darwin.iso file, but to ensure InsanelyMac did not breach VMware's EULA regarding VMware Tools it was decided just to post the link to the relevant location on the VMware web site.
  • cb4 likes this

Keyser0

Keyser0

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
First I have to say thank you to all involved in this! This rocks!

I've read all over the thread that this isn't compatible with vCenter, but I have a few questions...

Is there anyone that is using vCenter server that IS NOT having issues like most people? If so please provide details on your setup. (vCenter standalone or appliance? Hardware? etc..)

How not compatible is it? Should ESXi hosts patched with Unlocker not even be added to a vCenter server? Or is it just that the OS X VMs shouldn't be created, modified, or connected to through the console while connected to a vCenter server?

Is anyone looking into making it compatible with vCenter? Anyone know if it's even possible or impossible? Interested in knowing why it won't work with vCenter.

I took the vSphere VCP class last week and I'm working towards taking the exam. I have two Dell rack servers from Ebay on the way so I can setup a lab to practice for the exam, so I'll obviously be using vCenter with them. I'd love to be able to use the Unlocker on them for some ideas I have. Wish I knew enough about ESXi and vCenter to start working on it myself.

Thanks again to all those involved!

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Is there anyone that is using vCenter server that IS NOT having issues like most people? If so please provide details on your setup. (vCenter standalone or appliance? Hardware? etc..)

How not compatible is it? Should ESXi hosts patched with Unlocker not even be added to a vCenter server? Or is it just that the OS X VMs shouldn't be created, modified, or connected to through the console while connected to a vCenter server?

Is anyone looking into making it compatible with vCenter? Anyone know if it's even possible or impossible? Interested in knowing why it won't work with vCenter.

My thoughts are:

1. Everyone has these issues as unless you are running ESXi on real Apple hardware, certain HOST variables are incorrectly set. To get around that currently the ESXi Host BIOS and Apple SMC driver would need to be hacked. There may well be other checks that vCenter makel.

2. I definitely wouldn't add it to vCenter. Had some reports that vCenter can mess up the unlocker especially if using vMotion.

3. At this point I persoanlly don't have the time or interest in hacking this any further. Whilst I do use VMware vCenter, this was actually a project I started to run on Workstation on Windows To be honest all my work and personal machines are now Macs so I don't need this patcher, but continue to help out because it was useful to me in the past, and is useful to others now.

Keyser0

Keyser0

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

My thoughts are:

1. Everyone has these issues as unless you are running ESXi on real Apple hardware, certain HOST variables are incorrectly set. To get around that currently the ESXi Host BIOS and Apple SMC driver would need to be hacked. There may well be other checks that vCenter makel.

2. I definitely wouldn't add it to vCenter. Had some reports that vCenter can mess up the unlocker especially if using vMotion.

3. At this point I persoanlly don't have the time or interest in hacking this any further. Whilst I do use VMware vCenter, this was actually a project I started to run on Workstation on Windows To be honest all my work and personal machines are now Macs so I don't need this patcher, but continue to help out because it was useful to me in the past, and is useful to others now.

Thanks Donk! Kind of a bummer that it won't work on vCenter but the fact that ESXi will run on a Mac Mini is awesome. It opens up so many uses for me, but takes away some too.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Thanks Donk! Kind of a bummer that it won't work on vCenter but the fact that ESXi will run on a Mac Mini is awesome. It opens up so many uses for me, but takes away some too.

I have asked the question on the VMware forum regarding Apple MiniMac ESXi Servers and vCenter clusters, with OS X in mind, as provided the SMC patch is applied if you are running late 2012 MiniMac 6,2 hardware then the "Unlocker" is not required to run OS X, and in theory should be supported by vCenter. Unfortunately I do not have the hardware to test at the moment. You might find the following link useful and worth following:

http://communities.v...tart=0&tstart=0

Keyser0

Keyser0

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks MSoK. I'll check it out.

After installing Mountain Lion on my ESXi host that I ran the Unlocker on, I was noticing the the CPU had high usage at idle. I remembered reading in the thread that the screensaver should be disabled, so I turned it off. Problem is, turning it off only "works" if the user stays logged in. If I log out but keep the VM running, the screensaver is enabled and eventually turns on.

Anyone know how to disable the screensaver in OS X so it doesn't run when a user is logged out?

Osiros

Osiros

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Guys I got another thread going, but this one is getting alot of views, but Im getting the Apple splash screen on the setup, I did the unlock script. But I did have the esxi controlled by Vcenter at one point but removed it. Could this be causing my issue. BTW im running esxi 5.1 on a Dell with PE5700.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Thanks MSoK. I'll check it out.

After installing Mountain Lion on my ESXi host that I ran the Unlocker on, I was noticing the the CPU had high usage at idle. I remembered reading in the thread that the screensaver should be disabled, so I turned it off. Problem is, turning it off only "works" if the user stays logged in. If I log out but keep the VM running, the screensaver is enabled and eventually turns on.

Anyone know how to disable the screensaver in OS X so it doesn't run when a user is logged out?

Yes, the Screen Server should be turned to Never, but also set the Energy Saver settings to Never, i.e. Computer sleep and Display sleep, also un-tick the "Put hard disks to sleep when possible", "Wake for Ethernet network access" and "Allow power button to put the computer to sleep".

To turn off or indeed change the Screen Saver at logon, you need to start a Terminal windows and run the System Preferences as root.

Start a Terminal window and run the following command:

sudo /Applications/System\ Preferences.app/Contents/MacOS/System\ Preferences

This will launch the familiar System Preferences page, but now you are running as "root". You should notice that the Screen Saver will be set to the default "20 Minutes" rather than the "Never" you set while logged in as the user, change the setting to "Never" and the Screen Saver will be removed from the logon screen.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Guys I got another thread going, but this one is getting alot of views, but Im getting the Apple splash screen on the setup, I did the unlock script. But I did have the esxi controlled by Vcenter at one point but removed it. Could this be causing my issue. BTW im running esxi 5.1 on a Dell with PE5700.

O,
This is probably the correct place for your question.

OK, in terms of your AMD box, retail OS X is never going to work as the OS X kernel contains no code to work with an AMD processor, you would need a modified kernel.

In terms of your P5700, it does support VT-x, but unless you can enable this in BIOS OS X is not going to install, and even if you could performance would be very poor. Also it is unlikely your processer would be supported in OS X L or ML, it may work with SL.

I am fairly sure if you have taken the server out of the vCenter cluster it will not be causing the issues you are having, I think the issues are down to the CPU's you are using, also having a mixed CPU environment is not ideal, you cannot easily move VM's between Intel and AMD systems without either using the standalone converter or create an OVF, so better to stick with Intel if you want to run OS X VM's, both Intel and AMD are fine for Windows and Linux VM's.

Osiros

Osiros

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

O,
This is probably the correct place for your question.

OK, in terms of your AMD box, retail OS X is never going to work as the OS X kernel contains no code to work with an AMD processor, you would need a modified kernel.

In terms of your P5700, it does support VT-x, but unless you can enable this in BIOS OS X is not going to install, and even if you could performance would be very poor. Also it is unlikely your processer would be supported in OS X L or ML, it may work with SL.

I am fairly sure if you have taken the server out of the vCenter cluster it will not be causing the issues you are having, I think the issues are down to the CPU's you are using, also having a mixed CPU environment is not ideal, you cannot easily move VM's between Intel and AMD systems without either using the standalone converter or create an OVF, so better to stick with Intel if you want to run OS X VM's, both Intel and AMD are fine for Windows and Linux VM's.

Thanks MSoK,

I can boot into the EFI but not many options except for boot order, I set the VT-X from the Vsphere advanced tab, still no joy?

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Thanks MSoK,

I can boot into the EFI but not many options except for boot order, I set the VT-X from the Vsphere advanced tab, still no joy?

O,
Setting VT-x from vSphere will not work, it has to be set at the BIOS level of the host machine. If you do not have the option see if you can find an alternative firmware for your machine, which may have the option to set VT-x.

takeawaydave

takeawaydave

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Thanks for Unlocker. Install nice and smoothly today first time. Installed of latest 10.8.3 App Store/ InstallESD.dmg on to ESX5.1. Easier than I thought it would be.

pelleas

pelleas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm running ESXi 5.1 on a Mac Mini (6,2) in a vSphere HA/DRS cluster with 3 other hosts. 10.7 and 10.8 install and run beautifully, but when attempting to install 10.6 (converted DMG to ISO), I get a boot screen for
just a minute or so while tracks are being read from the datastore ISO (iSCSI LUNs) and then my VM powers off. From reading I've done on the unlocker and here in this thread, I don't see anyone that has had a similar issue. Can anyone comment on this? I would think it works since creating a new VM has a pre-built template for 10.6 (32- and 64-bit).

Peter_sm

Peter_sm

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Installed ML on my ESXi server, thanks for the unlocker ;-)

However I have bad graphics, and I consider to by a simple GPU, I have put some details in link to my post, so the question is what GPU works Out Of The box to pass through to Mountain Lion VM.

http://www.insanelym...ock-z77-pro4-m/

And is it possible to use chameleon as bootloader as in hackintosh? I have try but it not booting from Cham, maybe there is a guide somewhere, or shall is be native booting from original installation ?

So the only thing for me now is get a better acceleration for my graphics, and of course the sound is not working from my motherboard in ML VM

Thanks

Peter

apple01

apple01

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm getting the Segmentation fault error while trying to install on ESXi 5.1:

/vmfs/volumes/515d3010-4a617e30-bef1-f80f41f30c7b # ./install.sh
VMware ESXi 5.0 Unlocker 1.1.0
==============================
Copyright: Dave Parsons 2011-12
Patching files...
Segmentation fault
/vmfs/volumes/515d3010-4a617e30-bef1-f80f41f30c7b #

What can cause it?

Thanks.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

I'm running ESXi 5.1 on a Mac Mini (6,2) in a vSphere HA/DRS cluster with 3 other hosts. 10.7 and 10.8 install and run beautifully, but when attempting to install 10.6 (converted DMG to ISO), I get a boot screen for
just a minute or so while tracks are being read from the datastore ISO (iSCSI LUNs) and then my VM powers off. From reading I've done on the unlocker and here in this thread, I don't see anyone that has had a similar issue. Can anyone comment on this? I would think it works since creating a new VM has a pre-built template for 10.6 (32- and 64-bit).

Unless you are running the "Unlocker" or your SL media is Server, VMware is doing what it is supposed to do in meeting the APPLE EULA for SL, i.e. you can only run SL Server virtually, the EULA changed for L and ML which allows the standard product to be run virtually, as Server is now an add on rather than a separate product.

Please be aware using the "Unlocker" with vCenter Server is not recommended and could cause your cluster to become unstable.

A better option would be to slipstream the ServerVersion.plist in to your SL media, this will bypass the check in VMware, also you will need a CPUID mask in your VMX config file as 10.6.0 or 10.6.3 media does not support Core i5 or i7 processors.

TZ_2003

TZ_2003

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello all,

I've tried to install Mountain Lion on a Dell R720 ESXi host, without getting a working configuration at the end. My host have been enabled with the unlock-all 1.1.0 script. The machine starts up perfectly, boots on ML DVD, I can partition my HD and install Mountain Lion but, at boot time, I get the grey screen with the Apple logo and the boot wheel, turning forever.

I've tried repatching my host and restoring an old OS X VM, with exactly the same behaviour at last.

If any of you is aware of any modification to do in the .vmx or VM, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Hello all,

I've tried to install Mountain Lion on a Dell R720 ESXi host, without getting a working configuration at the end. My host have been enabled with the unlock-all 1.1.0 script. The machine starts up perfectly, boots on ML DVD, I can partition my HD and install Mountain Lion but, at boot time, I get the grey screen with the Apple logo and the boot wheel, turning forever.

I've tried repatching my host and restoring an old OS X VM, with exactly the same behaviour at last.

If any of you is aware of any modification to do in the .vmx or VM, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

I cannot think of an obvious reason why your ML will not boot, may be worth trying the downloaded InstallESD.dmg (which is supported in ESXi 5.1) rather than a converted .iso or burned DVD.

Also try adding the following CPUID mask to your .vmx configuration file, we have seen some issues with the latest generation of Xeon E5 processors:

cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101"

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy