ESXi 5 Mac OS X Unlocker

Donk

817 posts in this topic

The vSphere client under windows only shows the feature set up to version 5.0, for the new options (V5.1 and V5.5) such as OS X 10.8 and 10.9 you'll need the web client (and a vCenter server as far as I know). 

If I'm not mistaken version 5.0 already supported OS X 10.6 and 10.7, though. At least these two options should be visible if you create a new custom virtual machine with type "Other".

Then probably I have done something wrong, as none of my consoles (Client nor WebUI) show OS X 10.8 despite the fact that it is supported by ESXi 5.5.

I was observing this thread and waiting especially for fix on ESXi HP custom image running from USB key. Now I patched ESXi 5.5 with latest Unlocker 1.2.1 and it patched successfully. But now I don't see additional radio boxes in vShpere Client (connected directly to ESXi host). I supposed that there will be new Apple radio box like on patched VMware Workstation.

Did I misunderstood or I'm missing something?

Regards. 

In vSphere Client select "Other" as the "Guest Operating System:" and you can then select Apple Mac OS X 10.7 (64-bit) in the "Version:" pull down menu, this is the highest version of OS X supported with Virtual Machine Version: 8, and the vSphere Client, although 10.8 will run using this setting.

Then probably I have done something wrong, as none of my consoles (Client nor WebUI) show OS X 10.8 despite the fact that it is supported by ESXi 5.5.

OK you need to be running either vCenter Server 5.5 or the vCenter Server Appliance 5.5 (as I am) then log in to the vSphere Web Client, then when you create a "New Virtual Machine" Option "2e Select a guest OS" set "Guest OS Family:" to "Other" and "Guest OS Version:" to any version of Apple Mac OS X from 10.6 (32-bit) to 10.9 (64-bit). OS X 10.9 (64-bit) requires Compatibility: "ESXi 5.5 and later (VM version 10)", and OS X 10.8 (64-bit) requires "ESXi 5.1 and later (VM version 9)".

• Like 1

[...] OS X 10.9 (64-bit) requires Compatibility: "ESXi 5.5 and later (VM version 10)", and OS X 10.8 (64-bit) requires "ESXi 5.1 and later (VM version 9)".

Many thanks, I forgot about VM hardware version compatibility. Now my virtual Macs are working, and I have get used to use Web Client.

I've always run my VM's in Parallels but I've been wondering about this hypervisor stuff. If I may ask, how is this ESXi thing working out for in you practice? I know it works well for Linux servers but does 3D acceleration work in Windows and OS X? Can it replace dual booting for normal desktop systems?

Windows is not a problem. Mac hardware virtualization works also, so you can pass (some) graphics card to Mac.

But at this point one can build perfect hackintosh.

So while it is "interesting" it is not practical.

Mac OS works well for non graphics intensive applications (ie Netboot with DeployStudio)

It will not replace your dual boot, as you have no access to console of the running guest OS on server console (OK, if you pass hardware then you can have for one OS)

Just read -

Graphics Acceleration in ESXi 5.1 and OS X Mountain Lion VM

and

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/267296-esxi-5-mac-os-x-unlocker/page-28?do=findComment&comment=1945917

sebus

Hi all.

It's been demonstrated a few times that ESXi/vCenter 5.5 have manageability issues post-patch.  Is the general consensus that ESXi 5.1/vCenter 5.1 are fairly stable in comparison?  If that's the case, I'm going to roll-back my "production" environment.

What are some of the hurdles to us identifying the issues induced by 5.5, if that's indeed the issue?  I'm always happy to help/test.

Thanks!

poorfellow,

Just to remind everyone, the unlocker should only be used in a standalone single ESXi host non production environment, and definitely not in a production clustered environment managed by vCenter Server or vCSA 5.1 or 5.5, unless you are using Apple hardware (only the last generation Mac Pro 5,1 is on the current VMware Hardware Compatibility List). So you are not going to get support from VMware for the Mac Mini!

Edited by MSoK

Hi all. I used this script with the Unlocker here but every time I load up the .iso and try to install Mavericks I get the following error:

NaG4lTb.png

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get around this? I've tried remaking the .iso. Any help is appreciated.

doxinho,

Not sure about the script you are using, the one that definitely works supplied by Donk is from VMware to allow Fusion 6 to install Mavericks, creates a DMG from the Install OS X Mavericks app downloaded from the Mac App Store, which can be used in both Workstation 10 and ESXi 5.5 to install Mavericks from scratch, see link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290949-how-to-install-os-x-108-mountain-lion-and-os-x-109-mavericks-in-vmware-workstation-910-or-player-56/?p=1957242

poorfellow,

Just to remind everyone, the unlocker should only be used in a standalone single ESXi host non production environment, and definitely not in a production clustered environment managed by vCenter Server or vCSA 5.1 or 5.5, unless you are using Apple hardware (only the last generation Mac Pro 5,1 is on the current VMware Hardware Compatibility List).

What exactly breaks on 5.5 when using vcenter and the unlocker? I have a test lab at home that meets all the HW requirements for pass through vga, usb etc but really wanto deploy esxi 5.5 and VC 5.5. Thanks

Hello

I upgraded our VMware ESXi 5.1.0 host to 5.5.0 by a fresh install of ESXi to an USB memory stick (as before for 5.1.0) . After sucessful test of our Linux VMs I applied unlocker version 1.2.0 and found problems in disconnecting VWware Sphere vi and cli client (both version 5.5.0) and Linux VMs that did not start temporarlly and by random, complaining "msg.vmk.status.VMK_ACCESS_DENIED". Preexistings VMs with MacOSX Server 10.6.8 (under ESXi 5.1.0 and unlocker 1.1.0 worked stable) crashed soon after 30-60 seconds, crashing also VMware Sphere vi client. Some times we could reconnect the VMware Sphere vi client immediately or some time later or not at all.

So we installed unlocker version 1.2.1 (replacing esxi/install.sh - first by unstalling it and rebooting the ESXi host). We had to boot the host twice in order we could connect with the VMware Sphere vi Client. Now the preexistings MacOSX Server 10.6.8 VMs booted correct and are for serveral minutes <=30 stable and then randomly crashed again by stressing them with benchmark tests. However VMware Sphere vi Client is disconnecting after some minutes (ca. 5-10 minutes), even if no MacOSX VM is running, or VMware Sphere vi Client is crashing at all. In the Host log we can see, that most often the Host process "/bin/hostd" is crashing. The problem seems not only to be related to missing space on the bootbank partition, but to other issues caused by applying unlocker. We unstalled for this moment unlocker, as the MacOSX Server VMs were at this moment only for test purposes, althought we planed to convert actuall hacintosh MacOSX 10.6.8 servers to ESXi VMs.

Can you try this updated installer script for ESXi please? It should fix the problem by compressing the vtar. Saves about 60MB of space in the bootbank partition. Copy the text below to installer.sh, overwrite the one in the unlooker ESXi folder and then upload and run as usual.

Thanks for the help on this.

What exactly breaks on 5.5 when using vcenter and the unlocker? I have a test lab at home that meets all the HW requirements for pass through vga, usb etc but really wanto deploy esxi 5.5 and VC 5.5. Thanks

Advocate_HF,

Unless you are on Apple hardware, all vCenter functionality like HA, vMotion, etc. do not work for OS X VM's also you cannot start OS X VM's from either the Web Client or vSphere Client pointing at your vCenter Server. To access OS X VM's connect to the ESXi host directly with the vSphere Client. In my home lab I have ESXi 5.5 and vCSA 5.5 running along side hosts which have the unlocker 1.2.1 installed and OS X 10.8 and OS X 10.9 are both running OK. This is fine in a lab environment, but is in no way supported by VMware and therefore should not be used in a production environment.

• Like 1

Advocate_HF,

Unless you are on Apple hardware, all vCenter functionality like HA, vMotion, etc. do not work for OS X VM's also you cannot start OS X VM's from either the Web Client or vSphere Client pointing at your vCenter Server. To access OS X VM's connect to the ESXi host directly with the vSphere Client. In my home lab I have ESXi 5.5 and vCSA 5.5 running along side hosts which have the unlocker 1.2.1 installed and OS X 10.8 and OS X 10.9 are both running OK. 

Perfect, thanks for the explanation.

apologies if asked before, but does the unlocker patch worksation 10.0.1 OK?

Advocate_HF,

In a word yes, if you keep an eye on the following topics you will find the latest information regarding Workstation:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/268531-workstation-8910-player-456-and-fusion-456-mac-os-x-unlocker/?p=1958189

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290949-how-to-install-os-x-108-mountain-lion-and-os-x-109-mavericks-in-vmware-workstation-910-or-player-56/?p=1958188

I hope someone smarter than me comes up with vCenter unlocker as Apple once again ignored releasing "real" Mac Pro. 

All my PC's are Mac's (even livingroom HTPC with MCE is running on Mac Mini) but I just cant justify buying new Mac Pro for my server. (I still have 2008 Mac Pro but it's even slower than current QuadCore Haswell while consuming 2.5 x times the power )

No iLOM, no internal storage (so good bye VSAN), no RAID, (for server use) useless 100 WATT GPUs .... It's nice workstation but by no means replacement for currently (very old) Mac Pro.

I hope someone smarter than me comes up with vCenter unlocker as Apple once again ignored releasing "real" Mac Pro. 

All my PC's are Mac's (even livingroom HTPC with MCE is running on Mac Mini) but I just cant justify buying new Mac Pro for my server. (I still have 2008 Mac Pro but it's even slower than current QuadCore Haswell while consuming 2.5 x times the power )

No iLOM, no internal storage (so good bye VSAN), no RAID, (for server use) useless 100 WATT GPUs .... It's nice workstation but by no means replacement for currently (very old) Mac Pro.

wally007,

I am sure we all understand where you are coming from, I think if Apple want OS X Server to live in the virtual world, they are going to have to revise their EULA, we are all happy to pay for OS X Server, but since Apple do not have any server grade hardware what are we supposed to do? VMware quite clearly have the Hypervisor capable of delivering virtual OS X Server, just not the legal right to allow it!

Come on Apple time for a radical rethink, you have done it with the recent free release of OS X Mavericks, what about extending that to the OS X server in the virtual world. I wonder what Apple run as servers for their own infrastructure, clearly not the old Mac Pro, and certainly not the new Mac Pro, much as we all love both, and are saving our money for the new Mac Pro!

wally007,

I am sure we all understand where you are coming from, I think if Apple want OS X Server to live in the virtual world, they are going to have to revise their EULA, 

I'm not sure about Apple on this one... I think they're quite content with Mac Mini being their "Server" part. (which isnt something I'd want for my Server)

I hope once ESXi and vCenter takes off with 6.0 version that someone shows interest in giving vCenter unlocker a try. 

Sorry for my rant :-)

I'm not sure about Apple on this one... I think they're quite content with Mac Mini being their "Server" part. (which isnt something I'd want for my Server)

I hope once ESXi and vCenter takes off with 6.0 version that someone shows interest in giving vCenter unlocker a try. 

Sorry for my rant :-)

We have looked at vCenter and making it work, but no success. Also I am not sure it is such a good idea. As far as I am concerned unlocking ESXi is NOT for production use, but more for simple deployments. If you want to have a robust system for virtualising OS X spend the money on a Mac, especially if you work or business depends on it.

We have looked at vCenter and making it work, but no success. Also I am not sure it is such a good idea. As far as I am concerned unlocking ESXi is NOT for production use, but more for simple deployments. If you want to have a robust system for virtualising OS X spend the money on a Mac, especially if you work or business depends on it.

Just to reinforce Donk's comments, please refer to my earlier post in this topic:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/267296-esxi-5-mac-os-x-unlocker/?p=1956273

These tools saved my a$$,

many thanks!

I had removed my ServerVersion.plist, from my VMWare Snow Leopard Server install, and I couldn't boot it on VMWare Fusion 6.0.2. (Mac OSX Mavericks)

I ran the install script, loaded up Snow Leopard, replaced the ServerVersion.plist.

then I ran the uninstall script,

and now everything works as it should.

thanks again for the great tools!

:)  :thumbsup_anim:

I am a bit late to the game but was wondering something. I read that it shouldn't be used in a 'production' environment?

Is it *that* unstable?

I was thinking of using it to run two VMs-- filemaker server and another VM for TM backups.

thank you for any info!

I am a bit late to the game but was wondering something. I read that it shouldn't be used in a 'production' environment?

Is it *that* unstable?

I was thinking of using it to run two VMs-- filemaker server and another VM for TM backups.

thank you for any info!

ESXI on its own is fine, the issue seems to be since vCenter 5.5 release the method of patching plus the additional agents installed when adding the ESXi host to vCenter is blowing some internal limits. I am testing a different way of patching  but of course none of this is supported and there are absolutely no guarantees. You use it at your own risk, and I certainly would not rely on it for commercial work or anything where you are depending on it. False economy!

I've been running patched ESXi host since first Haswell was announced and cant tell difference from unpatched host. On its own, it runs very fine, ESXi and all VMs are behaving as they should. 

But under no circumstances I would install this at work though. We have bunch of support contracts ( our dept. alone has 2x Essential+ licenses and other depts have Enterprise licenses ) and I cant imagine what VMware support  would do if they had found out that this is installed. ( neither I want to see my superiors reaction )

I've also run patched ESXi host under vCenter 5.5 and did not find anything wrong with it. But my VMs are 90% Macs at home at the moment and since you cant do any vCenter actions on patched ESXi host (like clone, vMotion, HA, schedules etc )  I removed vCenter and decided to keep it simple until i decide what to do next (either switch back to Windows 7/Server for my Directory services or wait until new Mac Mini is announced and see if I can do with that - this I doubt since 16GB RAM is not enough )

ESXI on its own is fine, the issue seems to be since vCenter 5.5 release the method of patching plus the additional agents installed when adding the ESXi host to vCenter is blowing some internal limits. I am testing a different way of patching  but of course none of this is supported and there are absolutely no guarantees. You use it at your own risk, and I certainly would not rely on it for commercial work or anything where you are depending on it. False economy!

Wondering if anyone has tried the unlocker on ESXI 5.0 U3? Tried it on a SD card install, segmentation fault. Tried fresh install onto a SSD, also segmentation fault. At first I thought it was something i was doing wrong but after the fresh install im not so sure. Have it successfully working on 5.5 but due to a USB passthrough issue im trying to use it on 5.0.