Recommend a fully functional sound card

agrabarchuk

3 posts in this topic

I'm potentially in the market for a new sound card, but since my Hackintosh is my primary system, I need to be sure that it will work without problems. For the longest time I've been using a USB Creative X-Fi GO! sound card, which works OOB, but gives pretty crappy sound quality. I'm not against USB cards, but an internal solution would probably be best. Hopefully something not too expensive. Thanks in advance!

For reference, my system is the following -

ASUS Maximus Formula

Intel Q6600

nVidia GTX285 (non-mac)

other stuff I don't think makes a difference.

EDIT: One other thing, I currently have two sound cards, neither of which I can get to work in Lion. The first is a Creative X-Fi Xtremegamer, which as I understand never has and never will be supported in OSx86. The second is a SupremeFX II card which has the AD1988B chip, but I have been unable to get it to work. If anyone can suggest how to get the AD1988B working in Lion, that would also be a huge help. Thanks.

search for ' AD1988B ' Kext Database ! Register for Download !

IMHO, every USB based Cards should work with OSX and not so expensive, too !

or you can buy a Audigy 4 ( non Pro ) on Ebay, maybe !

works great with these drivers Audigy Cards Kext !

good luck :rolleyes:

CooSee ' Ya

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, there are a few kexts for the 1988B on kexts.com, but none of them worked for me. The card would be recognized in IORegExplorer and everything, but OS X wouldn't actually see it as an audio device. On the other hand, from what I understand the Supreme FX II card is nothing more than on-board audio in a PCI form factor, so I'm pretty sure that my USB X-Fi is going to produce better sound quality.

I think I'll probably end up trying to upgrade to a better USB-based card, or just stick with what I have.