elixeus

elixeus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Last Updated: 9/4/2011

Introduction:
I decided to share my experiences with trying to hackintosh a Asus Eee PC 1015px. I'm not sure of the slight differences identical model codes, but mine I know for a fact has one speaker, rather than two. I purchased this machine through bhphotovideo.com for around $279.95. Thus far, hardware wise I've been impressed with the quality, but I'll need to follow up later on its true durability and reliability.

Please understand I'm somewhat short on time as of recent, so when I post this guide it will be devoid of screenshots, photos, and videos until I have the extra time to do so. Besides, my next challenge is to try to load Lion on this puppy ^_^

Things to bear in mind before installation:

What Works
* 1064x600 Resolution
* Track Pad
* Keyboard
* Battery Menu Indicator
* Wi-FI
* Sound

What Does not work
* Sleep (wakes to a black screen)
* Microphone
* QE/CI hardware acceleration for Intel 3150GMA (maybe donate to Melkort?)

Mild issues
* Sometimes kernel panics on startup, but can be resolved by powering down and attempting a second reboot into OS X

(if an item of interest hasn't been listed, then it most likely hasn't been tested, but feel free to ask anyways)

<guide>

Requirements:
* An Asus Eee PC 1015px (it's possible this guide works for other pine trail CPU models, but has not been tested by me)
* An 8GB USB Pen-drive
* A working Hackintosh, or a Mac to ready the USB stick!
* An external USB mouse
* iAtkos S3v2 (modded OS and also used to install Chameleon boot loader, especially useful for dual partition Windows/OS X)
* Apple Combo Update 10.6.4 (resolves issues with the trackpad among others)
* Roughly two hours of your time

Included Software (see attachment)
* THEHAWKs version of NetBook Installer (NBI) that doesn't hang at building the DSDI.ami file (the official one from the website never completes, which is a problem)
* IOS802.11Family.kext (a version that's compatible with AR9285 - Atheros chipset notorious for not working with OS X!)
* NetbookBootMaker 0.8.4 RC1.app (used to make the USB stick bootable!)

Procedure:
1) Load iAtkos onto the Pen-drive: use disk utility to reformat the USB drive to Mac OS X (Journaled), then proceed to the Restore tab and restore the iAtkos S3v2 disk image (.dmg). This should take about 10-15 minutes.
2) Once the disk image restored to the USB drive is mounted onto the desktop (make sure it's not just the .dmg file), create a new folder entitled "Other Installs". You will need to validate these changes with a password to make changes to this device. Inside it, put: Apple Combo Update 10.6.4, IO80211Family.kext, and THEHAWKs version of NetBook Installer (NBI).
3) Open NetbookBootMaker0.8.4.app and select your USB stick from the drop down and let the process finish. Eject the device.
4) Make sure the 1015PX is off. Insert the USB Pen-drive, then start up the 1015PX. Immediately hit F2 a couple times to enter BIOS. From inside BIOS, proceed to the BOOT tab at the top, change the boot order for the two below options to prioritize your USB stick over your internal hard drive. Once the changes are made, hit F10 to save and quit.
5) The device should restart, immediately tap the ESC key several times to force the boot from device manager to appear. Select the USB stick. At this point you should see an Apple logo and should proceed to the choose a language screen.
6) Choose your language. Then iAtkos installation prompt will be the only window open. Before selecting to install, you must format your second partition to an HFS+ partition (Mac OS X Journaled). Begin by opening Disk Utility and selecting the drive, NOT the partitions. You will want to go to the partitions tab and select options->GUID. You have the option of leaving the partitions the way they are (recommended at this point), or turning your drive into a single OS X partition (only one OS to boot into). Hit apply after either way. Next look below the drive for an empty partition. Make sure you select the correct one if you kept the Windows partition, and the 30 GB Windows 7 Starter restore partition. For my 250 GB drive, it was the 126 GB partition. Click on that one, and then proceed to the Erase tab. I gave this partition the appropriate name of "Macintosh HD," and formatted it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then clicked erase. Once this process is finished exit Disk Utility, you may now proceed to the installer.
7) On the iAtkos install screen, hit the Continue button. Accept the terms, then select "Macintosh HD" and click next. Now before clicking install look for a customize box at the bottom left - this is extremely important, without doing this it will try loading the mach_kernel, rather than the necessary atom_kernel! You are going to want to leave everything the same that's already selected but check the following options:

Boot loader category: make sure it is unchecked entirely (we will install that after installation!)
Boot loader options:
+ Graphics enabler
+ Ethernet
+ USB->USBBusFix (only)

Patches category:
+Modified Kernels->Atom Kernel (only)

Drivers category:
+Main Hardware->SATA/IDE->AHCI SATA(only)
-> Sound->Voodoo HDA(only)
-> PS/2->Voodoo PS/2(only)
-> Laptop Hardware->All except ACPI Thermal
+VGA->Intel->All except GMA X3100

8) Click OK, then Install. This will take about 20-25 minutes.
9) Restart and boot off the USB drive again (it's time to install a boot loader, which allows you to select a partition to boot into. Once loaded, select language screen again. Now go to utilities at the top menu->Disk Utility. Locate the Macintosh HD partition, and try to look for information in this format: disk#s# (this is to identify the disk # and partition # respectively. You will want to make note of these. Now exit disk utility and enter Chameleon. It will spawn a terminal window where you need to enter these numbers in and confirm your choices. Let it work it's magic, once it's done, quit Mac OS X installer and restart.
10) Next quickly hit the ESC key several times to boot off the internal drive this time. Chameleon should then load and automatically have the OS X partition selected. If not hit an arrow key and hit return to enter the appropriate partition. OS X should begin loading.
11) Now plug in your USB mouse, the track pad will not work, but ironically the keyboard does! Follow the prompts to get setup and then you'll be taken to the Desktop.
12) Now this is where we install everything. Please follow this order, because this is what works. Some steps might be redundant, but ultimately it works in the end!

Locate the USB stick iAtkos, copy the Other Installs folder to the desktop to copy them to the drive. The first item you want to load in the netbook installer. From the pulldown make sure Macintosh HD (install update) is selected. Let it finish. Now run the Apple Combo Update 10.6.4. Install it on Macintosh HD. Let it finish, but DO NOT restart. You now need to install the IO80211Family.kext that allows your Wi-Fi to work. This part is pretty intensive, try to follow it the best you can.

First in one finder window go to: System/Library/Extensions. In another finder window go to: iAktos (USB stick)/Other Installs/. Drag and drop the IO80211Family.kext. You will need to authenticate! Once done you will then need to go to the terminal to finalize this new kernel extension. Issue the following commands in this order:

cd /System/Library/Extensions
chmod -R 755 IO80211Family.kext
chown -R 0:0 IO80211Family.kext
rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
kextcache -m Extensions.mkext -z /System/Library/Extensions
# If I recall correctly the last two commands didn't work, but is probably ok since we're about to run netbook installer, again. If everything except the last two went peachy and you followed these directions correctly, then proceed to the text below.

Now, we must run NetBook Installer (NBI) and from the drop down select: Macintosh HD (Install Upgrade). It it finish it's stuff. Once it's done, you can go back to the combo update, and click Restart.

Congratulations! Your Wi-FI, resolution (no QE/CI yet…), and trackpad should work. Sound works too if you go to System Preferences->Voodoo HDA and slide the two bars to the far right. Same with the trackpad - with enabling two finger scrolling.

What's next? Maybe try to install Lion. I am very busy with college, so please don't expect much more than this guide. I will if I have time improve upon it and add images, but maybe you guys could help with that and improve upon the process. Remember, all props go to the OSx86 community, I just took their magic and made it work for this computer. Special thanks to THEHAWKs for his working NetBook Installer and files, and patttypatttyooo on youtube () for giving me a good starting place. The reason why I referred to this video for initial installation is because this Acer has roughly the same specifications.

Disclaimer: please realize this guide was poorly written given my time schedule. I will improve upon it when I have additional time and make it look better by adding photos, screenshots, and maybe a video. Until then, maybe you can try helping this thread out with those things! Remember, don't pirate! Be legit - buy the operating system! It is worth every penny and is the least you can do for Apple since you'll be violating the EULA and possibly more by using a modified version of OS X such as iAtkos. This guide is for educational purposes only.

~elixeus

Mac OS X v10.6.4 Update (Combo): http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1048
'Other Installs' Folder: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UP5MMF3J

MicroPilot

MicroPilot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
The only reason why I registered here is to say you many thanks for this graet tutorial and the files for the 1015px.
You published this Guide yesterday and i was so happy to find a guide for the 1015px after 4 Days and minimum 100 bad installations :P .

The Tutorial is one of the best beginner tutorials that i have found in the last days.
Many thanks (and sorry for my bad english) ;)

elixeus

elixeus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
@MicroPilot: you're welcome! I'm glad this guide thus far has been able to help out a couple of people.

Update: Thanks to the nice people who created this thread http://www.insanelym...howtopic=264740, Lion can be installed if you follow this guide exactly (and using their attached files), except deleting the dsdt.ami file in the Extras folder.

The kexts used in this guide also work for Lion. So once its installed and you boot up, all you'll need is a keyboard to get past the prompts and then you can go straight to copying these kexts over to the System/Library/Extensions folder and then running kextUtility to repair permissions.

Thanks guys!

geohowarduk

geohowarduk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Wonderful tutorial, thank you very much. I actually tried jumping straight into installing Lion, with no success yet. I wasn't sure if you meant to follow your tutorial with the other tutorials files, or the other tutorial and its respective files?

I think my problem may have been that I wasn't trying with a retail Lion, but in fact iATKOS L1. I don't suppose you have the time/patience/generosity to make a tutorial on installing that version of Lion, from scratch, onto a 1015px?

I would be most appreciative if you could/would!

tormentor

tormentor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Thank you :D I'm going to buy this one for a tour in the USA and just wanted to know if it's "hackintoshable" :)

dodgerboy

dodgerboy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Last Updated: 9/4/2011

Introduction:
I decided to share my experiences with trying to hackintosh a Asus Eee PC 1015px. I'm not sure of the slight differences identical model codes, but mine I know for a fact has one speaker, rather than two. I purchased this machine through bhphotovideo.com for around $279.95. Thus far, hardware wise I've been impressed with the quality, but I'll need to follow up later on its true durability and reliability.

Please understand I'm somewhat short on time as of recent, so when I post this guide it will be devoid of screenshots, photos, and videos until I have the extra time to do so. Besides, my next challenge is to try to load Lion on this puppy :)

Things to bear in mind before installation:

What Works
* 1064x600 Resolution
* Track Pad
* Keyboard
* Battery Menu Indicator
* Wi-FI
* Sound

What Does not work
* Sleep (wakes to a black screen)
* Microphone
* QE/CI hardware acceleration for Intel 3150GMA (maybe donate to Melkort?)

Mild issues
* Sometimes kernel panics on startup, but can be resolved by powering down and attempting a second reboot into OS X

(if an item of interest hasn't been listed, then it most likely hasn't been tested, but feel free to ask anyways)

<guide>

Requirements:
* An Asus Eee PC 1015px (it's possible this guide works for other pine trail CPU models, but has not been tested by me)
* An 8GB USB Pen-drive
* A working Hackintosh, or a Mac to ready the USB stick!
* An external USB mouse
* iAtkos S3v2 (modded OS and also used to install Chameleon boot loader, especially useful for dual partition Windows/OS X)
* Apple Combo Update 10.6.4 (resolves issues with the trackpad among others)
* Roughly two hours of your time

Included Software (see attachment)
* THEHAWKs version of NetBook Installer (NBI) that doesn't hang at building the DSDI.ami file (the official one from the website never completes, which is a problem)
* IOS802.11Family.kext (a version that's compatible with AR9285 - Atheros chipset notorious for not working with OS X!)
* NetbookBootMaker 0.8.4 RC1.app (used to make the USB stick bootable!)

Procedure:
1) Load iAtkos onto the Pen-drive: use disk utility to reformat the USB drive to Mac OS X (Journaled), then proceed to the Restore tab and restore the iAtkos S3v2 disk image (.dmg). This should take about 10-15 minutes.
2) Once the disk image restored to the USB drive is mounted onto the desktop (make sure it's not just the .dmg file), create a new folder entitled "Other Installs". You will need to validate these changes with a password to make changes to this device. Inside it, put: Apple Combo Update 10.6.4, IO80211Family.kext, and THEHAWKs version of NetBook Installer (NBI).
3) Open NetbookBootMaker0.8.4.app and select your USB stick from the drop down and let the process finish. Eject the device.
4) Make sure the 1015PX is off. Insert the USB Pen-drive, then start up the 1015PX. Immediately hit F2 a couple times to enter BIOS. From inside BIOS, proceed to the BOOT tab at the top, change the boot order for the two below options to prioritize your USB stick over your internal hard drive. Once the changes are made, hit F10 to save and quit.
5) The device should restart, immediately tap the ESC key several times to force the boot from device manager to appear. Select the USB stick. At this point you should see an Apple logo and should proceed to the choose a language screen.
6) Choose your language. Then iAtkos installation prompt will be the only window open. Before selecting to install, you must format your second partition to an HFS+ partition (Mac OS X Journaled). Begin by opening Disk Utility and selecting the drive, NOT the partitions. You will want to go to the partitions tab and select options->GUID. You have the option of leaving the partitions the way they are (recommended at this point), or turning your drive into a single OS X partition (only one OS to boot into). Hit apply after either way. Next look below the drive for an empty partition. Make sure you select the correct one if you kept the Windows partition, and the 30 GB Windows 7 Starter restore partition. For my 250 GB drive, it was the 126 GB partition. Click on that one, and then proceed to the Erase tab. I gave this partition the appropriate name of "Macintosh HD," and formatted it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then clicked erase. Once this process is finished exit Disk Utility, you may now proceed to the installer.
7) On the iAtkos install screen, hit the Continue button. Accept the terms, then select "Macintosh HD" and click next. Now before clicking install look for a customize box at the bottom left - this is extremely important, without doing this it will try loading the mach_kernel, rather than the necessary atom_kernel! You are going to want to leave everything the same that's already selected but check the following options:

Boot loader category: make sure it is unchecked entirely (we will install that after installation!)
Boot loader options:
+ Graphics enabler
+ Ethernet
+ USB->USBBusFix (only)

Patches category:
+Modified Kernels->Atom Kernel (only)

Drivers category:
+Main Hardware->SATA/IDE->AHCI SATA(only)
-> Sound->Voodoo HDA(only)
-> PS/2->Voodoo PS/2(only)
-> Laptop Hardware->All except ACPI Thermal
+VGA->Intel->All except GMA X3100

8) Click OK, then Install. This will take about 20-25 minutes.
9) Restart and boot off the USB drive again (it's time to install a boot loader, which allows you to select a partition to boot into. Once loaded, select language screen again. Now go to utilities at the top menu->Disk Utility. Locate the Macintosh HD partition, and try to look for information in this format: disk#s# (this is to identify the disk # and partition # respectively. You will want to make note of these. Now exit disk utility and enter Chameleon. It will spawn a terminal window where you need to enter these numbers in and confirm your choices. Let it work it's magic, once it's done, quit Mac OS X installer and restart.
10) Next quickly hit the ESC key several times to boot off the internal drive this time. Chameleon should then load and automatically have the OS X partition selected. If not hit an arrow key and hit return to enter the appropriate partition. OS X should begin loading.
11) Now plug in your USB mouse, the track pad will not work, but ironically the keyboard does! Follow the prompts to get setup and then you'll be taken to the Desktop.
12) Now this is where we install everything. Please follow this order, because this is what works. Some steps might be redundant, but ultimately it works in the end!

Locate the USB stick iAtkos, copy the Other Installs folder to the desktop to copy them to the drive. The first item you want to load in the netbook installer. From the pulldown make sure Macintosh HD (install update) is selected. Let it finish. Now run the Apple Combo Update 10.6.4. Install it on Macintosh HD. Let it finish, but DO NOT restart. You now need to install the IO80211Family.kext that allows your Wi-Fi to work. This part is pretty intensive, try to follow it the best you can.

First in one finder window go to: System/Library/Extensions. In another finder window go to: iAktos (USB stick)/Other Installs/. Drag and drop the IO80211Family.kext. You will need to authenticate! Once done you will then need to go to the terminal to finalize this new kernel extension. Issue the following commands in this order:

cd /System/Library/Extensions
chmod -R 755 IO80211Family.kext
chown -R 0:0 IO80211Family.kext
rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
kextcache -m Extensions.mkext -z /System/Library/Extensions
# If I recall correctly the last two commands didn't work, but is probably ok since we're about to run netbook installer, again. If everything except the last two went peachy and you followed these directions correctly, then proceed to the text below.

Now, we must run NetBook Installer (NBI) and from the drop down select: Macintosh HD (Install Upgrade). It it finish it's stuff. Once it's done, you can go back to the combo update, and click Restart.

Congratulations! Your Wi-FI, resolution (no QE/CI yet…), and trackpad should work. Sound works too if you go to System Preferences->Voodoo HDA and slide the two bars to the far right. Same with the trackpad - with enabling two finger scrolling.

What's next? Maybe try to install Lion. I am very busy with college, so please don't expect much more than this guide. I will if I have time improve upon it and add images, but maybe you guys could help with that and improve upon the process. Remember, all props go to the OSx86 community, I just took their magic and made it work for this computer. Special thanks to THEHAWKs for his working NetBook Installer and files, and patttypatttyooo on youtube () for giving me a good starting place. The reason why I referred to this video for initial installation is because this Acer has roughly the same specifications.

Disclaimer: please realize this guide was poorly written given my time schedule. I will improve upon it when I have additional time and make it look better by adding photos, screenshots, and maybe a video. Until then, maybe you can try helping this thread out with those things! Remember, don't pirate! Be legit - buy the operating system! It is worth every penny and is the least you can do for Apple since you'll be violating the EULA and possibly more by using a modified version of OS X such as iAtkos. This guide is for educational purposes only.

~elixeus

Mac OS X v10.6.4 Update (Combo): http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1048
'Other Installs' Folder: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UP5MMF3J

Hi elixeus,

Firstly, sorry for just quoting your guide...made a mess of posting my query...

Secondly, Just wanted to say thanks alot for your guide. I purchased an eee pc 1015px as it seemed the best reasonably priced Netbook which could have Snow Leopard running on it.
I’ve got it all installed but I’m having real trouble getting the wifi to work.
I’ve reinstalled several times, followed the manual install method for IO802Family.kext, but just get some permission errors or something like.
Last night I tried a reinstall and used KextUtility after loading Netbookinstaller and then 10.6.4 combo (tried it before I rebooted), but still no joy.
Just wondered if you had any further suggestions for getting my wifi to work?

Thanks a lot
Dodgerboy

itgbkj

itgbkj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the guide.

Finally, I can resume my quest to have OSX on my 1015PX. Last attempt using another method, I had a terrible low res display and wifi not working.

spidymac

spidymac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:gtalk : manash149
Please update the attachments.... :help:
because it is all megaupload and now it is closed...

elixeus

elixeus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Remember... there is no replacement for a real mac experience. You will invariably find problems with this machine. Bearing that in mind, it is usable, but not ideal since many OS X applications require Quartz Extreme and Core Image (QE/CI) and they are rendered useless without an Intel 3150 GMA .kext (which has yet to be created). At best you with DSDT hacking you may be able to fix the sleep issues, resolution, etc. Too bad there is literally no hope with the graphics acceleration (even if it could just be emulated).

That being said, here it is, I re-uploaded it to MediaFIre instead: http://www.mediafire...4eso3yc0cfb0x1r

elixeus

elixeus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Wonderful tutorial, thank you very much. I actually tried jumping straight into installing Lion, with no success yet. I wasn't sure if you meant to follow your tutorial with the other tutorials files, or the other tutorial and its respective files?

I think my problem may have been that I wasn't trying with a retail Lion, but in fact iATKOS L1. I don't suppose you have the time/patience/generosity to make a tutorial on installing that version of Lion, from scratch, onto a 1015px?

I would be most appreciative if you could/would!

I already followed this guide: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=264740
You must follow it exactly. I'm not sure if I used the DTDS files there or used Netbook Installer to generate my own. Other than that I followed this guide to every t.

Do realize there are an overwhelming number of problems with Lion (trade offs between functionality, but fixing one thing you break another and so forth. It runs, just not ideally.

spikey1973

spikey1973

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey there,

Thank you for all your efforts on this site.. it persuaded me to try this after all.
Well i must say, a hd failure was the first incebtive, which leads me directly to my question.
A different hd, does that have any influence on the installation procedure? Personally i would be amazed if it does, but since I'm not entirely sure how everything works right now i wanted to ask cause i get stuck at the loading of os X (point 10) of the tutorial.

An additional question is, do i really nerd the mouse at that point? The keyboard should work. Cant i work my way through with just that? Normally i would try, but i need to borrow the mouse, and since i now allready done that 5 times i feel people are getting a bit fedd up.
And i find it a bit silly to buy one for just this procedure.

Well thanks for any input..

Kind regards

Matthieu

spikey1973

spikey1973

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Additional question(s), at point 6 there is the mentioning of the 2e partition..
but there is no mentioning of the first...does this have special requirements?
If i make a (not recommended) os X single partition i still need to select GUID and use chameleon?

Maybe all silly guestions but im just trying to get past the os x loading stall.

Thanks in advance.

Matthieu

faithless

faithless

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey

would you upload these file on a new link ?

Ty.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy