Which pc->mac font conversion utility?

yoda75

7 posts in this topic

Hi there guys.

I'm a hobby photoshop user. I was wondering if there is a standard utility you good people use to convert pc fonts to mac. I have a lot of freeware fonts that I have on my PC. I'm converting my PC to a dedicated web server and I'm trying to migrate all my apps (including photoshop) over to my Mac. It would be nice to be able to convert these fonts between platforms (and between formats too but not having that function would not be a deal breaker). So far, after much searching I've found TransType to be the only one that can do what I want and not cost too much. Have I missed anything?

What would you recommend?

From Adobe Support Knowledgebase...

Mac OS X supports the following font formats:

-- .dfont

-- Multiple Master (Mac OS X 10.2 and later only)

-- OpenType (.otf)

-- TrueType (.ttf)

-- True Type Collection (.ttc)

-- Type 1 (PostScript)

You shouldn't have a problem moving your pc fonts to a Mac. Depending on the font types, moving fonts from a Mac to a PC can be another story. However I did find a utility for Windows that could convert literally any type of font to ttf. I can't remember the program name though. I converted several thousand (non-free) linotype, ITC, etc. fonts to ttf, and it worked flawlessly. I wish I could remember the name of that program.

Thanks for the tips guys. I tried to put my TT fonts into OSX but it wound up screwing up my system fonts and I couldn't read anything in OSX including error messages and other basic things. This is why I thought I'd better try some sort of utility software.