10.6.8 on GMA900

t3RRa

22 posts in this topic

UPDATE : Please use the one at the end of this post instead of the original patched KEXT. I have found more correct way and the previous one is now deprecated..

Hi,

I am new to this forum ... as a poster I mean :) I just wanted to share with you how I could have a working 10.6.8 SL machine on an aging P4 on Gigabyte 8i915MD-GV main board with QE/CI supported and how I have fixed mouse cursor problem. (bear in mind that English is not my mother tongue.)

To make a long story short: I now have a working (QE/CI and no mouse cursor problem) 10.6.8 on GMA900 system and I am sharing KEXTs that I have used including the one I have patched to resolve mouse cursor problem. :)

I have recently installed retail copy from my mbp which is now running Lion (purchased legal copy of course) and have upgraded to 10.6.6 and then I was lazy to upgrade further to 10.6.8 for a while. Even though that QE/CI was already working somewhat in degree, I could not change resolution (fixed to 1024x768) and more over running FrontRow brought up the kernel panic. I reckon there were few more applications leading to the kernel panic though I cannot remember which they were now.

Then later I have tried to upgrade to 10.6.7 and it was working well it seems. However, after updating to 10.6.8 and rebooting, it would not boot up but stopped at PCI configuration. npci=0x2000 option resolved though, then after DSDT message if I remember correctly, it would not load up the GUI. darn I thought. Booting up to safe mode and removing few kexts made it booting up alright though it was undoubtedly slow of course. ;)

I almost gave up and was about to live with it.. but after trying modifying DSDT, I finally could change resolution. Oh well, what about QE/CI? No. So I have put back these kexts and YES!. QE/CI working! Getting ripple effect in Dashboard and the top Apple menu got translucent effect! Yay...

But there was a big mouse cursor issue that.. I don't know how I can describe that that the cursor got some empty lines in between each line of the cursor images.. just like interlaced images so cursor itself became too large and bottom part of the cursor image was now showing.. It was painful since the actual click point was a little hard to predict.

I have searched on Google for hours to find a way to fix this issue. However, as this GMA900 is not even used that much any more it seems, I could not find the exact same situation, but I got a hint that it probably was of hardware acceleration for mouse cursor. After some more googling, I tried to find among KEXTs which one toggles the hardware cursor support on and found that it actually was in the AppleIntelIntegrated.kext with help from otool, grep and more. And with a help from Hex Fiend utility I could modify the KEXT and finally I got normal mouse cursor.

Of course, since it is software mode mouse cursor, it is a bit flicking often and I feel its jumping slightly though it is better than broken mouse cursor. QE/CI still working OK and now FrontRow does not bring up the kernel panic anymore! And currently switched resolution to 1280x1024 and it feel really spacious (compared to 1024x768 no wonder :D)

I hope this would help some people.

Cheers!

Screenshot

post-16699-1315109482_thumb.jpg

KEXTs archived (use at your own risk please.. I cannot remember where those kexts are from. sorry)

GMA900for10.6.8.zip

DSDT for Gigabyte 8i915MD-GV (use at your own risk please)

dsdt.zip

p.s. I have almost forgot to mention that included AppleIntelIntegrated.kext has both original file and the patched one inside. Do show packages and there are AppleIntelIntegrated and AppleIntelIntegrated.old

AppleIntelIntegrated.old is the one prior to my patch. and I have modified as follows:

0x3C59: 74 -> EB

0x6630: 74 -> EB

You could firstly use .old (swap with AppleIntelIntegrated) to see if you are also getting mouse cursor issue. I encourage to use original one if you don't have any mouse issue.

This one will work better. The previous one is quite buggy I think (found after some more use).

SLAppleIntelIntegrateFB.kext.zip

• Like 3

Nice find, could you take a look at the older FBs?

I have tried to modify similarly though because of either the source code difference and/or compiler's optimization difference, those were a little structural and code differences from my patched one. So please beware that it might not work as expected.. Please report back if you can. :)

Both Tiger's and Leo's in the archive with each got prefix in the file names to differentiate:

Tiger_AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext

Leo_AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext

You should know which is which.. :D

AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.zip

Tiger 10.4.11 :huh: GMA 900 ID 2592, blue box and cursor stretched (not visible on screenshots)

bug.jpg

In Leopard same stretched cursor.

How did you managed to get past the blue screen?

I have not done anything actually. I think mine is 0x2582. Maybe I was just lucky. The code of frame buffer kext I used was bit more simple actually. Later I will have a look at the code again and try to fix the problem.

Tiger 10.4.11 ;) GMA 900 ID 2592, blue box and cursor stretched (not visible on screenshots)

In Leopard same stretched cursor.

How did you managed to get past the blue screen?

I tried to modify KEXTs more correctly (looking up Apple document to find some information) Now it just would fail on setCursorImage (which is for hardware cursor image, it would return specific error code when it fails) I have tested similar approach to the SL one and it seemed like better than before. So I hope this would fix the issue finally.. (cross the fingers)

AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.zip

The Tiger Version works now

That sounds good. I hope that the Leopard version would also work without much problem.

The GMA 900 is quite doggy slow. On Snow Leopard if there is intensive CPU usage even for a second or two, a bit of graphic could be broken for that second(s) where the mouse cursor was on. (especially in Chess.app and some games) However I yet think it is better than an enlarged and interlaced mouse cursor. :)

I just want to add to the post that what I have modified into DSDT is to add GMA 950 fix replacing GMA950 to GMA900 in the fix code, and also DTGP method (otherwise it won't compile since the GMA 950 fix itself uses DTGP)

Simple as that..

I have used DSDTSE and it was a piece of cake. Thanks for the developer. :)

The Leopard one works too, took sometime to install it :P

That's great! :(

There is this FrameBuffer from 10.4.4, which gives hw cursor under Leopard/SL, but gets destroyed if the cursor points to CoreText fields/boxes??? Is this fixable?

Why do you want to use it on Leopard/SL instead of using appropriate ones? and what do you mean by 'destroyed'? No more mouse cursor afterwards? or it is reverted back to software cursor?

It gives you hwcursor (turning QE off fixes it), if you touch a Textfield, it creates an artifact (a little box somewhere).

Apparently, with my little knowledge I am afraid if it is possible at all. Since what Framebuffer KEXT implements for cursor related are, according to developer documentation on Apple website, "setCursorImage"

(Set a new image for the hardware cursor) and "setCursorState" (Set a new position and visibility for the hardware cursor) only.

What I have done to KEXTs to fix cursor issue is only to make "setCursorImage" to return kIOReturnUnsupported for return value (of IOReturn type) which is the behaviour when it fails to enable hardware cursor and so the cursor is left in software mode.

I guess that problem might be related to somewhere else and/or out of my knowledge. Sorry for that. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

i am on a toshiba NB 100 and i would like to know will this work with things added to the boot plist if not should i remove things liske device properties etc ?

ps for toshiba and just this without dsdt or whatever its not working ... so i suppose you need the dsdt . thats just to clarify it .

i am on a toshiba NB 100 and i would like to know will this work with things added to the boot plist if not should i remove things liske device properties etc ?

ps for toshiba and just this without dsdt or whatever its not working ... so i suppose you need the dsdt . thats just to clarify it .

You have a machine with GMA950 but GMA900. So you better off to different posts. Sorry.

I think GMA950 is still somewhat (limited?) supported on Lion (I can find KEXT for GMA950 on my MBP)

GMA950 was used on release machine while GMA900 was only on the early developer kit so it isn't actually supported by Apple at all afaik.

You have a machine with GMA950 but GMA900. So you better off to different posts. Sorry.

I think GMA950 is still somewhat (limited?) supported on Lion (I can find KEXT for GMA950 on my MBP)

GMA950 was used on release machine while GMA900 was only on the early developer kit so it isn't actually supported by Apple at all afaik.

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/pi/27-1181994...me-Product-Info

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You don't seem to have same situation as I had. I could successfully install mackintosh onto that machine but just having no hardware acceleration for graphics and no resolution change. I could enable them with DSDT patch and such. You should get the actual error message to know what is your problem in verbose mode possibly.

Hey t3RRa, 

Thanks ever so much - works a treat and now running Lion successfully.

Guys, the above download is part of the Lion version of the modified AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, taken from a 10.7.5.  It's modified in the same way as described in the original post, removing the hardware cursor drawing. The file in the link he's provided needs to be installed inside the stock kext - use Show Package Contents, rename the existing file to AppleIntelIntegratedFramebufferOld (or similar) and drop the modded file in.  I then fixed permissions and rebuilt the cache before rebooting.

Once again t3RRa, thanks for taking the time to look at this for me - you legend!

Cheers,

Cardinal

• 2 weeks later...