DSDT not working on P5QL PRO, please help

W.Ben

36 posts in this topic

Hi,

Recently I have tried using the DSDTEditor and patched it using one of the txt file from patch thread. But when I tried boot it I get kernel panic. I'm using Chameleon Bootloader 2.0 RC4 with 10.6.8 I was wondering could it be the bootloader it self? Because I think the bootloader is not using the dsdt, which I put in the 'extras' folder. Do i need to type any commands or just boot? I have attached my patch and system dsdt, so maybe if u could see is there any problem.

Below is the point where I got the kernel panic

imag0261aw.jpg

.Thanks in advanced

dsdt.zip

P5QL_PRO.zip

I think the bootloader is not using the dsdt, which I put in the 'extras' folder.

If the folder is named 'extras' then you're right. The correct name for that folder is Extra.

Note that after upgrading to Chameleon 2.1 you must rename /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist to org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

This won't help you now but later it might be useful:

bdmesg is part of the Chameleon package and you can install it to see diagnostic messages from Chameleon, before OS X starts to boot.

Extract bdmesg.zip to desktop, run Terminal, type

cp ~/desktop/bdmesg /usr/bin

Reboot (feel free to delete bdmesg and the archive from your desktop)

Run Terminal, type bdmesg to see what Chameleon is doing during startup.

How am I gonna install the bdmesg? The thing is recently I made a Time Machine restore and it stopped booting. Now I'm trying to fix this by booting via my usb drive(installed bootloader on it) But none of my attempts work unfortunately ;)

Thanks in advanced

No idea what's going on there. Try booting with CPUS=1

Can't really bdmesg since i cant get into mac.

Yes I know...as I said:

This won't help you now but later it might be useful:

Try adding

"Wait

y

to the org.chameleon.Boot.plist on your USB drive.

This will provide you with the same diagnostic info as bdmesg, but during boot.

So I added

<key>wait</key>

<string>y</string>

To the org.chameleon.Boot.plist, and is this what ur looking for? Honestly I have no idea how to read this diagnostic info besides now I know it has something to do with the "VoodooHDA" as it just happens to stop there.

imag0265j.jpg

And this is what it like when booting with CPUS=1

imag0266s.jpg

Thanks

Disable your on-board sound and your Marvell P-ATA controller in the BIOS, and post a screenshot if it panics again. There is way too much information from VoodooHDA to see what's going on, and one of your earlier screenshots has the panic occur immediately after the driver for your Marvell controller has loaded.

Try booting with arch=i386 -v -f (type it on the Chameleon boot prompt).

Wait=y (try with a capital W) should show you some info from the Chameleon boot loader before OS X starts to boot, ending with a 'press a key to continue' message. The screenshots you've posted all show what happens once the boot process has been handed over to OS X.

So I tried it with my on-board sound disabled. Can't disable the Marvell P-ATA Controller because my boot drive relies on it since my boot drive is a IDE drive so can't really disable it otherwise I can't see the drive.

So I tried boot it with the arch=i386 -v -f and this showed up.

imag0267x.jpg

Then I tried it with just -v.

imag0268v.jpg

And finally I tried it with -v Wait=y and I think the dianogstic info finally worked?

imag0269s.jpg

Sorry for this orientation, for some reason my cellphone accelerometer is acting weird. I guess u would have to download it rotate it to see it.

Thanks

Okay, nothing new in those screenshots.

In most of your screenshots the kernel panic occurs right after the message about the AppleVIAATA driver that loads for your PATA controller - that's the long line that starts with "Got boot device = ". I think the problem can be with this driver.

Last of the "easy" fixes: Try adding maxmem=2048 to your bootflags and see if it will boot.

If not then read on:

My ASUS P5Q-E motherboard has a Marvell 6121SE PATA controller. I use SuperVIAATA.kext for it:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190449

Try this kernel extension for your Marvell PATA controller. It works from /Extra/Extensions.

Try to find a way to get this kext onto /Extra/Extensions - for example by placing it on a USB flash drive, booting from your OS X install DVD and using Terminal to copy it to /Volumes/[nameofpartition]/Extra/Extensions. It is not necessary to set permissions and ownership on drivers that load from /Extra/Extensions, so don't worry about that part.

You should probably move AppleVIAATA.kext (if that indeed is the driver that is loading..I'm not 100% sure) out of Volumes/[nameofpartition]/System/Library/Extensions on your system drive as well to avoid conflicts.

Once you have done this, add -f to your boot flags so that AppleVIAATA.kext doesn't load from the cache.

Maybe next time use a SATA hard drive connected to ICH10.. :rolleyes:

The link works fine. Try again.

maxmem=2048 didn't make any difference?

maxmem=2048 doesn't work :rolleyes: Still get kernel panic. Guess I'll have to try the kext. However I can't open the link u gave me. Is my account restricted to certain threads only?

I have the same board and it works only if I set in BIOS

ACPI Suspend Type - S3 only

see also here

http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1689

I'll like to give this a try as well :) How do I use this? Do I copy ur com.apple.Boot.plist to mine and change the graphics efi string?

You don't need to do anything to your graphics, just leave NVEnabler.kext in there, if graphics were working for you before with NVEnabler it will continue to work.

Guess I'll have to try the kext. However I can't open the link u gave me. Is my account restricted to certain threads only?

I don't know. Maybe. Here it is:

SuperVIAATA.zip

So I have managed to copy the SuperVIAATA.kext on to Machintosh HD/Extra/Extensions(Macintosh HD is my boot drive) I also removed the AppleVIAATA.kext to avoid conflict with the new one and boot with -v -f. But it still kernel panic. As u can see from the image below I can see that the SuperVIAATA.kext is been used but idk why it kernel panic. That's the problem :rolleyes:

imag0271s.jpg

I also tried the method that I quoted from below by setting the ACPI Suspend Type to S3 Only but it stil didn't work even if I tried it with -v -f.

Up till now I have no reason explaining why it worked before with ide and doesn't after time machine restore. It really weird to be honest. I was just wondering isn't the purpose of dsdt is to replace kexts? So basically if u have a well patched dsdt u wont need any kext to boot am I right?

Edit: btw does the ACPI 2.0 option has to do anything with the booting process because i have it disabled atm. I also remembered where I had to do a bios reset some week ago when I was unable to boot with my new ram.

Edit 2: Just tried booting with ACPI 2.0 enabled made no difference

I have the same board and it works only if I set in BIOS

ACPI Suspend Type - S3 only

see also here

http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1689

How did u manage to get it to boot. Was there any other bios setting changes u made?

Yep, nothing changed...the Kernel Panic is the same as before. At least SuperVIAATA is clearly loading and doing its job.

Up till now I have no reason explaining why it worked before with ide and doesn't after time machine restore.

It seems that time Machine doesn't back up everything. Or it doesn't restore everything..

I was just wondering isn't the purpose of dsdt is to replace kexts? So basically if u have a well patched dsdt u wont need any kext to boot am I right?

No, not entirely. Everybody who runs OS X on a PC needs fakesmc.kext, you can't DSDT patch your way out of this requirement.

Patching DSDT can allow a kernel extension that is already present in /System/Library/Extensions (AppleHPET.kext, AppleLPC.kext, USB drivers) to load and drive your hardware as long as it is reasonably similar to the hardware that Apple uses, but you can't write an entire driver, like SuperVIAATA.kext for example, via DSDT.

Some kernel extensions provided by the community (or legacy kexts built by yourself) can work just as well as DSDT (or other ACPI table) patches. Examples are LegacyAppleRTC, OpenHaltRestart, EvoReboot and LegacyAppleLPC.kext.

So, is there no way to fix this? The only way is to get my drive to connect via the ICH10 chipset. I was wondering that if I had IDE to SATA converter I wouldn't need any kext, right? Since the drive is running off the ICH10 chipset and it should work OOB? Because I found this adapter thing here http://www.dealextreme.com/p/sata-to-ide-c...rter-driver-706 that I think it might be useful.

Edit: And oh yea, what does fakesmc.kext do? Since I don't have this kext on my 'Extra' folder I might give this a try.

So, is there no way to fix this?

If it was working before, there is a way to get it working again, without using a S-ATA to P-ATA adapter.

Edit: And oh yea, what does fakesmc.kext do? Since I don't have this kext on my 'Extra' folder I might give this a try.

Quotes from random google search:

"fakesmc.kext (...) fakes the SMC hardware device and provides the same encryption keys to the software that a real mac has in hardware, allowing Apple-provided code to do all the decryption just like what happens on a real mac."

"(...) some software is encrypted. Apple calls it Binary Protection. FakeSMC is needed for this specific task. Without it you can’t run Dock, Finder, loginwindow for example. And this means your Hackintosh usage is kinda screwed. FakeSMC itself doesn’t decrypt anything, It’s needed for “Do Not Steal Mac Os X.kext” to work. It does the work itself, FakeSMC (or in a real mac, the SMC device) just helps it."

Read this: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=315 (fakesmc has replaced the three kexts mentioned in that thread)

More reading material on Apple's Binary Protection from David Elliott:

Darwin_x86__Mac_OS_X_Binary_Protection.pdf.zip

You cannot run OS X on a PC without fakesmc.kext. Now is as good a time as any to install it.

FakeSMC.kext.zip - version 3.1.0, can load from /Extra/Extensions.

Project forum, latest developments: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showforum=165

Old releases and some documentation on Netkas' blog: http://netkas.org/?cat=15

First of all thanks for all the help u have made :)

Before I actually invest on the adapter thing I would like to give it a several tries since dealextreme takes up to 30days to ship from what I have heard :)

So I added the FakeSMC.kext u attached but still doesn't boot. I assume all ur "can load from /Extra/Extensions" refers to the one on the system drive right(Just to clarify, in case I might done anything wrong)? Because on my usb drive where my bootloader is install in. I have no kext placed there. I just wanted to make sure I have done everything correctly as u said.

Since it still doesn't boot will u suggest I could try anything else or am I on my own?

Again, thanks for all the help

How did u manage to get it to boot. Was there any other bios setting changes u made?

My Settings:

Main > Storage Config: SATA = AHCI

AI Tweaker: all settings = automatic

Advanced >

CPU Config:

Max CPUID & Intel C-State: Disabled

Rest: Enabled

Chipset > NB Config

Mem remap: enabled

Mem hole: disabled

Onboard Devices

Marvell IDE: disabled

Serial port: disabled

PCI/PNP > PNP OS: disabled

Power

Suspend mode: S3 only

ACPI 2.0: Enabled

ACPI APIC: Enabled

Tools > Express Gate: Disabled

I used Kakewalk to install Lion

I assume all ur "can load from /Extra/Extensions" refers to the one on the system drive right(Just to clarify, in case I might done anything wrong)? Because on my usb drive where my bootloader is install in. I have no kext placed there.

I guess that if you have SuperVIAATA.kext loading from /Extra/Extensions on your hard drive, fakesmc.kext should load from there as well.

I didn't know you were booting from a USB flash drive, I must have missed that. You should place the kexts in /Extra/Extensions on the flash drive instead, it is much easier to manage. Do you see fakesmc loading when booting? It should leave a status message. Maybe your kernel panic happens too early and fakesmc hasn't loaded yet. Try placing it on the flash drive and see if anything changes.

Attach the com.apple.Boot.plist chameleon.org.Boot.plist and smbios.plist from /Extra on the flash drive. Compress (zip) them first. I'll have a look, maybe something can be done.

My Settings:

Main > Storage Config: SATA = AHCI

AI Tweaker: all settings = automatic

Advanced >

CPU Config:

Max CPUID & Intel C-State: Disabled

Chipset > NB Config

Mem remap: enabled

Mem hole: disabled

Onboard Devices

Marvell IDE: disabled

Serial port: disabled

PCI/PNP > PNP OS: disabled

Power

Suspend mode: S3 only

ACPI 2.0: Enabled

ACPI APIC: Enabled

Tools > Express Gate: Disabled

I used Kakewalk to install Lion

I see why it works on urs because u don't use on board ide. Thanks for the info btw

I guess that if you have SuperVIAATA.kext loading from /Extra/Extensions on your hard drive, fakesmc.kext should load from there as well.

I didn't know you were booting from a USB flash drive, I must have missed that. You should place the kexts in /Extra/Extensions on the flash drive instead, it is much easier to manage. Do you see fakesmc loading when booting? It should leave a status message. Maybe your kernel panic happens too early and fakesmc hasn't loaded yet. Try placing it on the flash drive and see if anything changes.

Attach the com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist from /Extra on the flash drive. Compress (zip) them first. I'll have a look, maybe something can be done.

So, I copied the kexts to my flash drive's /Extra/Extension but it made no difference same kernel panic. And also I can't find the fakesmc been loaded.

Anyways here's the com.apple.Boot.plist(name has been changed to org.chameleon.Boot.plist because it was required for the new bootloader) And I don't have a smbios.plist on my flash drive. or hard drive.

Thanks

org.chameleon.Boot.zip