[GUIDE] Lion 10.7 on Asus X58 (LGA 1366) i7 9xx

ErmaC

870 posts in this topic

Just wanted to say thanks.

I installed Lion on my P6T-SE and my Rampage Gene II last week and both have been working great that whole time.

On the Gene II I had to manually set some kernel flag to 1 so that my ATI eyefinity's fan worked correctly (it was constantly on full before that).

Anyway great guide and much appreciated.

Quick question: I was thinking of using timemachine after installing Lion with this setup.

Can I use the Lionize USB bootable pendrive to restore my setup using a timemachine backup to a fresh drive?

Boot with USB pen, restore with time machine, run the ./finalize script or the restore script?

Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks.

I installed Lion on my P6T-SE and my Rampage Gene II last week and both have been working great that whole time.

On the Gene II I had to manually set some kernel flag to 1 so that my ATI eyefinity's fan worked correctly (it was constantly on full before that).

Anyway great guide and much appreciated.

Quick question: I was thinking of using timemachine after installing Lion with this setup.

Can I use the Lionize USB bootable pendrive to restore my setup using a timemachine backup to a fresh drive?

Boot with USB pen, restore with time machine, run the ./finalize script or the restore script?

Thanks

Sure, i did a time machine restauration myself :) or you can use migration tools to import all your configs and apps from previous installed os X on different hdd/partition.

Hi Fabio, and many thanks for your work. I got my rig (asus rampage ii extreme, Radeon 5770 HD,) up and running in no time!

I have a question, regarding TRIM support for SSDs - I tried the trim enabler software, available on the internet, and it seems to do the trick, but it replaces the storage kexts, and I get orange icons in disk utility, finder, etc, with possibly other issues, however I was able to boot fine.

Is there any other way to enable TRIM on osx86 installation, apart from using trim enabler?

Hi Fabio, and many thanks for your work. I got my rig (asus rampage ii extreme, Radeon 5770 HD,) up and running in no time!

I have a question, regarding TRIM support for SSDs - I tried the trim enabler software, available on the internet, and it seems to do the trick, but it replaces the storage kexts, and I get orange icons in disk utility, finder, etc, with possibly other issues, however I was able to boot fine.

Is there any other way to enable TRIM on osx86 installation, apart from using trim enabler?

from this topic http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=253369

run into your terminal (YOU NEED THE PREVIOUSLY KEXT IOAHCIFamily.kext)

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x41\x50\x50\x4C\x45\x20\x53\x53\x44|\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00|g' /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

let me know...

Fabio

Sure, i did a time machine restauration myself ;) or you can use migration tools to import all your configs and apps from previous installed os X on different hdd/partition.

So do I use the bootable pendrive and re-run the Finalize or the Restore script afterwards?

Thanks

So do I use the bootable pendrive and re-run the Finalize or the Restore script afterwards?

Thanks

I just need o runn ./finalize after installing OSX Lion from the first time.

If you want to restore your entire hdd to a new one use carbon copy cloner.

from this topic http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=253369

run into your terminal (YOU NEED THE PREVIOUSLY KEXT IOAHCIFamily.kext)

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x41\x50\x50\x4C\x45\x20\x53\x53\x44|\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00|g' /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

let me know...

Fabio

Thanks for the tip, I could not quite understand what you mean by "Previously kext Ioachi..." - do I have to replace my currently working kext (from your Lionize install) with some other version? or just go with the patch?

Maybe you could advise - am I OK with my Radeon HD 5770 working via graphics enabler - yes - in chameleon, or do I need to go further to edit DSDT? So far I have video working fine. Thank you again for your great help.

Thanks for the tip, I could not quite understand what you mean by "Previously kext Ioachi..." - do I have to replace my currently working kext (from your Lionize install) with some other version? or just go with the patch?

Maybe you could advise - am I OK with my Radeon HD 5770 working via graphics enabler - yes - in chameleon, or do I need to go further to edit DSDT? So far I have video working fine. Thank you again for your great help.

The patch you have used is a replacement of one kext (for SSD)...

I not have any SSD so I can't try myself..

For what I understand the patch used replace your IOAHCIFamily.kext with one prepatched for a SSD hard disk

now... If I'm not wrong the same patch can be done with terminal w/o changing the IOAHCIFamily.kext

Then you need to use the IOAHCIFamily.kext (from your Lionize USB boot drive into S/L/E) and replace it into the S/L/E

repair permission and run the command post before...

This patch modify the binary file and not the .plist file...

Fabio

hi!

Lion 10.7.1 works like a charm on ASUS P6X58D-E, i7 960,12GB 3x4GB Muskin Red, GB HD 5770

but...

CPU temp in are a bit high (around 60/70C)

how can I be sure speed-step is working or not?

I have already enabled Generate C-states & P-States in chameleon .plist and C-states in bios setup

thank you all fellas

how can I be sure speed-step is working or not?

I have already enabled Generate C-states & P-States in chameleon .plist and C-states in bios setup

You don't need C&P States activation flags into the org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Our machine (X58) use the correct value tacked from BIOS.

Are you completely sure the setup are correct ??? (The BIOS setting)

Fabio

Fabio thank you for quick reply!

I've try few combinations of this Bios parameters, but I've not understad exactly how this work

could you please clarify?

this is from P6X58D-E user manual:

C State package limit setting [Auto] This item appears only when you set the Intel® C-STATE Tech item to [Enabled].

We recommend that you set this item to [Auto] for BIOS to automatically detect the C-State mode supported by your CPU.

Configuration options: [Auto] [C1] [C3] [C6]

C1 Auto Demotion [Enabled]

This item appears only when you set the Intel® C-STATE Tech item to [Enabled].

[Enabled] When enabled, CPU will conditionally demote C3/C6/C7 requests to C1 based on uncore auto-demote information.

[Disabled] Disables this function

C3 Auto Demotion [Enabled] This item appears only when you set the Intel® C-STATE Tech item to [Enabled]. [Enabled] When enabled, CPU will conditionally demote C6/C7 requests to C3 based

on uncore auto-demote information. [Disabled] Disables this function.

You don't need C&P States activation flags into the org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Our machine (X58) use the correct value tacked from BIOS.

Are you completely sure the setup are correct ??? (The BIOS setting)

Fabio

First of all I would like to thank for great tutorial. :thumbsup_anim:

But I have the same issue as aspin here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1750194

because of nstat error I can't install Lion on my computer.

I made the stick with Lionize then I boot the stick on my computer, chameleon loaded, then I chose -v mode and it started boot. Then I realized that I got nstat error and the installation stops.

My configuration is:

Rampage II Extreme board

i7 950 @3,06 GHz CPU

ATI Radeon HD 4890 Vapor-x GPU

HDD 640 GB Western Digital NTFS

I have C-State Enabled.

I really don't know where the problem is. Can somebody help please?

I hope I provided all needed information. And one more thing I'm noob in these things so thank you for your patience.

First of all I would like to thank for great tutorial. :thumbsup_anim:

But I have the same issue as aspin here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1750194

because of nstat error I can't install Lion on my computer.

I made the stick with Lionize then I boot the stick on my computer, chameleon loaded, then I chose -v mode and it started boot. Then I realized that I got nstat error and the installation stops.

My configuration is:

Rampage II Extreme board

i7 950 @3,06 GHz CPU

ATI Radeon HD 4890 Vapor-x GPU

HDD 640 GB Western Digital NTFS

I have C-State Enabled.

I really don't know where the problem is. Can somebody help please?

I hope I provided all needed information. And one more thing I'm noob in these things so thank you for your patience.

try add this to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist

-v npci=0x2000

Fabio

Hi Fabio,

thank you for quick response. Could you be more specific? Should I paste it into plist as a string or key? Thank you for for reply.

EDIT:

I add

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <string>-v npci=0x2000</string>

Is that Ok?

I tried also:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <string>npci=0x2000</string>

And whole it looks this:

<dict>
 <key>Graphics Mode</key>
 <string>1920x1080x32</string>
 <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
 <string>Yes</string>
 <key>Kernel</key>
 <string>mach_kernel</string>
 <key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <string>-v npci=0x2000</string>
 <key>ShowInfo</key>
 <string>No</string>
</dict>
</plist>

But still I get nstat error.

Hi! Thank you for your script, I think this is the only thread that has support for my mobo (Rampage III Black, although tester needed)

However, I tried and I cannot even get to the Lion installer. I used -v to boot the USB and I got the

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 88:111

Freeze after loading TMSafetyNet.kext

What exactly does that mean?

Thanks!

Hi! Thank you for your script, I think this is the only thread that has support for my mobo (Rampage III Black, although tester needed)

However, I tried and I cannot even get to the Lion installer. I used -v to boot the USB and I got the

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 88:111

Freeze after loading TMSafetyNet.kext

What exactly does that mean?

Thanks!

Try manually remove the DSDT from Extra folder (The USB) and try to boot again from that USB.

If you can install after the procedure send me the IOREG and the LsPCI info for make a custom DSDT for your motherboard

Fabio

Try manually remove the DSDT from Extra folder (The USB) and try to boot again from that USB.

If you can install after the procedure send me the IOREG and the LsPCI info for make a custom DSDT for your motherboard

Fabio

Thanks for your help I think I will start from step 1 and try again.

I know how to get IOREG (from terminal user the command ioreg, right?) but how do I get LsPCI?

Thanks for your help I think I will start from step 1 and try again.

I know how to get IOREG (from terminal user the command ioreg, right?) but how do I get LsPCI?

Is better a IOREG from (IORegistryExplorer.app) goog...le for it

and for the LsPCI googl..e for " LSPCI X64" (the firsr one).

Fabio