[GUIDE] Lion 10.7 on Asus X58 (LGA 1366) i7 9xx

ErmaC

870 posts in this topic

In bios up your base clock to 166 and drop your CPU multiplier from 21(or auto) down to 19. This will also put your RAM at 1333 while putting CPU at 3.15ghz, a very mild overclock that won't require any extra cooling or voltage configuration, everything else can stay on auto. Your CPU will thank you for letting it out of it's cage a bit.

And, do your self a favor a pick up a triple channel set of ram, they're so inexpensive right now, and prices tend to cycle up and down. http://www.newegg.co...=Desktop-Memory . Shoot, get 2 if you can :)

Thanx for the advice, I'm gonna try this tonight but first of all, I'm gonna to replace the CPU thermal paste because it's mounted since almost 2 years... before doing your mild overclocking suggestion.

About a triple channel set of ram... why not? But is it really necesary? This hack 's gonna be a data server and tv player most of the time... If it's the origin of the problem, I'll buy it directly!

I doubt current ram is a problem, I just think if you have the ability to use triple channel which is x58 only feature, why not take advantage of it? Especially when prices are less than older ddr2 ram. You don't need 24gb, but 12gb in a matched set would be a good upgrade for when there's lots of TV and data serving going on :)

• Like 1

I doubt current ram is a problem, I just think if you have the ability to use triple channel which is x58 only feature, why not take advantage of it? Especially when prices are less than older ddr2 ram. You don't need 24gb, but 12gb in a matched set would be a good upgrade for when there's lots of TV and data serving going on :)

Logical! I'll do the trichannel as soon as possible.

Thermal paste changed, CPU Fan and Chassis Fans on turbo mode. CPU Ratio Settings on 19.0 but I was unable to found Base Clock Settings, so I manualy selected RAM Frequency at 1333MHz.

Restarted and Mac Os gives me 8Gb 1336MHz... so its seems to be working. Gonna wait to see if stable.

EDIT: Retried bdmesg on terminal: Base Block still at 133, gonna look further to change it to 166 as you said.

Thanks to you just because I just learned that (older) Mainboards generaly limits DRAM to 1069MHz, so if you have superior DRAM, it should be manualy selected...

Thanx for everything!!!

have to take CPU config off auto. It's at the top of the AI Tweaker bios page, called "AI Overclock Tuner" change it to manual, all previous settings will remain the same unless you change them, so maybe put ram back to prior settings first. New item will appear for adjusting base clock.

Intel spec says 1066 max speed for ram, so "technically" just about any DDR3 ram you buy is considered overclocked, but it's really not as it's made by manufacturer to run at higher speeds and almost any x58 board will let you go up to 1800 or even 2100mhz. So just words by Intel, maybe lawyer talk to keep them "not responsible" if for some reason there was a problem, or just never updated the spec sheet from when i7 first launched

have to take CPU config off auto. It's at the top of the AI Tweaker bios page, called "AI Overclock Tuner" change it to manual, all previous settings will remain the same unless you change them, so maybe put ram back to prior settings first. New item will appear for adjusting base clock.

Intel spec says 1066 max speed for ram, so "technically" just about any DDR3 ram you buy is considered overclocked, but it's really not as it's made by manufacturer to run at higher speeds and almost any x58 board will let you go up to 1800 or even 2100mhz. So just words by Intel, maybe lawyer talk to keep them "not responsible" if for some reason there was a problem, or just never updated the spec sheet from when i7 first launched

Ok done, Thanks again... What's weird, it's that now the CPU is detected with a lower frequency 2,51Mhz, not 2,80. And the detected RAM is 995Mhz. Normal? First time in my life that I modify this kind of settings :) I'm learning and happy!!!

memory multiplier is at x6, up to x8 :) 1328mhz

What's the equivalent for memory multiplier for the P6T SE? Didn't found the option in Bios, and after some google research, looks like this mainboard doesn't have Memory multiplier. Tried with Ram Frequency up to 1331mHz, but system reset imediately when CMOS has arrived. This is a no go at this point. Snif. On a "auto" bios configuration, I'm able to login again...

Try this in S/L/E, should make all drives show internal, regardless of which brand SATA controller

We are off topic here with Mountain Lion...

but based on eep357's legacy kext I include the "changes" into a new AppleAHCIPort.kext (THX eep357)

Is for Mountain Lion (10.8.2) install it with Kext Wizard (in System/Library/Extensions/) rebuild cache e repair disk permission.

> AppleAHCIPort.kext

Fabio

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Getting back on topic, can anyone explain how to upgrade to 10.7.4?

i tested ML for a while but i start having some issues with my UPS, it keeps beeping (as it does with out any power).

So i whent back to 10.7.3 and i wanted to update to 10.7.4

• 2 months later...

I recently took the plunge and installed Mountain Lion on my P6T Deluxe V2 with help using translated versions of Fabio's pages and am happy to report everything is working as it should - sleep, sound, p&c states.

All except for my trusty firewire which has worked just fine all the way back to Leopard with some variation of AppleVIAATA.kext in s/l/e. No luck at the moment including the one Fabio/ErmaC put on one of the other ML threads.

Is there an update? I've looked in all the usual places for new ML versions with no luck.

Hello,

Thanks to Ermac`s work, I have managed to installed ML on my P6T Deluxe V2. However, I have not been able to solve the audio issue on 10.8.2. My audio layout looks very weird :blink:

I have attached a picture as an example, I am using the latest DSDT from Ermac and using his audio patched HDA kext. Could someone with similar motherboard point me to the right direction to get sound working. Thanks in advance.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2lnv3up.jpg

Kennyman,

I followed Ermac's instructions here on post 69:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280468-applehda-patching-in-mountain-lion/page__st__60#entry1839042

If you're using the AppleHDA.kext that he provided in his later ML guide then it should already be patched. Check and see if your DSDT is patched as is shown. Should do the trick, mine works.

I'm still having no luck with my Firewire. I've tried installing IOFireWireFamily.kext from 10.7.4 as was suggested elsewhere but still no joy. FW shows up in IOREG but no connection but if I boot into SL or Lion its just fine. I have multiple FW external enclosures with data and other peripherals not to mention connecting my (real) Macbook via target disk mode. Need this functionality back. Still working...

Ok, figured out my FW issue, had to edit the new DSDT to match the way it was in the DSDT I was using in Lion. All good now.

Interestingly, I could get a FW connection in ML if I powered up the external before boot and it would be listed and accessible but if I ejected the disk and then turned it back on nothing. This led me down the wrong path for awhile with trying to revert to earlier kexts but the solution was the DSDT edit.

Here's my edited DSDT for anyone else who might have the same problem with this hardware (see specs in sig):

dsdt.aml.zip

Edit 2/13 - while this DSDT works, it features a slow boot time. I've gone back to using the ML version Ermac provided and just boot into the backup drive that has this DSDT when I need to use FW for now.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi EveryBody,

Just upgraded to 10.8.3 . Needed to patch AppleHDA again. Did It using this guide from ErmaC

http://www.insanelym...60#entry1839042

If anyone prefers here is the patched kext:

AppleHDA_10.8.3_mod.kext.zip

I'm also using an OLD DSDT modded to work with ML and didn't need to patch AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

If anyone wants to try:

Core i920 DSDT.aml.zip

• Like 1

HI,

I just updated my p6x58d-e based system to 10.8.3. I added the AppleHDA.kext that I used in 10.8.2 and everything seems ok, except the slow initial booting. I tried the AppleAHCIPort and AppleACPIPlatform kexts that I used in 10.8.2 but I got panic and freeze.

Any ideas how to fix this slow boot issue?

• 3 weeks later...

I think you better use Fabio`s script to create a USB ML Install as it has P6T motherboards DSDT ready to go. Pandora is really interesting but may need tweaking to get it to work with Asus P6T. But Pandora is still AWESOME...big up for the guys that worked on it!

I think you better use Fabio`s script to create a USB ML Install as it has P6T motherboards DSDT ready to go. Pandora is really interesting but may need tweaking to get it to work with Asus P6T. But Pandora is still AWESOME...big up for the guys that worked on it!

i eventually got it to work but had to do a lot of manual tweaking as you say...

i think its wicked and a real help...

HI. Im using P6tD Deluxe i7 930

Im getting KP. System: 10.8.3

Whats the right ACPI version to use?

Macpro 5,1

Smbios:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>DSDT</key>

<string>/Extra/DSDT.aml</string>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,2)</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1080x32</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>