[GUIDE] Lion 10.7 on Asus X58 (LGA 1366) i7 9xx

ErmaC

870 posts in this topic

Use 1.3.5 version of appleacpiplatform.kext and try again

Does´nt seem to work.

Tested with

1. lionapp(latest)+lionize(latest)

2. lionapp(latest)+lionize(latest)+DSDT(latest, deluxe2+920)

3. lionapp(latest)+lionize(latest)+DSDT(latest, deluxe2+920)+AppleACPIPlatform.kext(1.3.5)

4. lionapp(latest)+lionize(latest)+DSDT(latest, deluxe2+920)+AppleACPIPlatform.kext(1.5)

IOAPIC every time.

Im just replace DSDT & ACPI files on the install-stick after lionizing, right before installing. Hope thats the right way to go?

*EDIT* Not sure if I should go with macpro3,1 or 4,1? *EDIT*

Thanks!

how did you get this done as when i try i get a fail message many thanks in advance

All I did on my working Lion downloaded the new lionize from the Italian forum. Created the USB per instructions from there and followed some of the install instructions from this thread. Installed after removing the ATIX6000Controller.kext so I wouldn't get the white screen issue and it installed. Put the ATIX6000Controller.kext back in with Kext Wizard and everything, but sound is working.

Got it to work now. It was wrong file previlegies since i changed the ACPI file on installation usb. Worked with v1.5 now when I set the right privs.

Now I get terrible geekbenchscore :/ (9538)

Must have something to do with speedstep not working. Like the cpu is stuck at 2,67 Ghz...

Best way to test if speedstep is working? Ive tried to find informations on how to install FakeSMC+Monitor for my hardware but found nothing on that..

post-318866-0-75162500-1342802315_thumb.png

Got it to work now. It was wrong file previlegies since i changed the ACPI file on installation usb. Worked with v1.5 now when I set the right privs.

Now I get terrible geekbenchscore :/ (9538)

Must have something to do with speedstep not working. Like the cpu is stuck at 2,67 Ghz...

Best way to test if speedstep is working? Ive tried to find informations on how to install FakeSMC+Monitor for my hardware but found nothing on that..

1.5 seems hit or miss for me, on occasion it will still hang up, never a problem with 1.3.5. For smbios, MacPro 4,1 or 5,1 should both work fine, I use 5,1 because it's newer :) For speedstep, must remove nullapplecpupowermanagement.kext if installed, with ssdt tables in DSDT no other settings needed (i.e. enable P&C states in chameleon) Your ram looks like it may be underclocked quite a bit there in that geekbench, guessing you probably have 1600mhz capable ram?

1.5 seems hit or miss for me, on occasion it will still hang up, never a problem with 1.3.5. For smbios, MacPro 4,1 or 5,1 should both work fine, I use 5,1 because it's newer :) For speedstep, must remove nullapplecpupowermanagement.kext if installed, with ssdt tables in DSDT no other settings needed (i.e. enable P&C states in chameleon) Your ram looks like it may be underclocked quite a bit there in that geekbench, guessing you probably have 1600mhz capable ram?

I use 4,1 since i red it was recommended for my setup (maybe i red it in lionize) :)

Do i just remove nullapplecpupowermanagement.kext from the disk or do I need to run any script after? Dont know what you mean by: ssdt tables in DSDT, sorry. Im kind of new to this type of hackning ;)

My ram is underclocked by me, so i can use 7 cas latency. Dunno if its worth it :P

*EDIT*

Tweaked the ram to 1600mhz cl8, raised my geekbench to ~9700.. Still way to low, gotta be speedstep...

I dosent even look like the nullapplecpupowermanagement.kext is installed, cant find it in /System/Library/Extensions..

*EDIT*

Got FakeSMC to work, and now i see that speedstep is working, clocked the cpu slightly, and i think this geekbench score (11 408) is pretty standard for a i7 920 @ 3,2 ghz. All good!

This means Lion(Appstore10.7.4)+lionize+newest DSDT+ACPIPlatform 1.5 is working good on my system. Sleep & wake, fast boot, speedstep and so on.

Seems to KP randomly when i clock the cpu a bit more, will investigate.

Thanks guys for making this tread very helpful!

post-318866-0-63443700-1342907123_thumb.jpg

I also would like to thank Ermac for the Mountain Lion guide, I have managed to install ML to my Asus P6T, i7 920. Everything works fine, audio, lan and also sleep.

how didi you get audio to work ?? as mine is messing about ( no sound)

have you used the 10.7 HDAkext ?

This is a question about the 10.8 installer from the Italian thread, but since we don't have a dedicated 10.8 thread in English yet (that I can tell) I'll ask here:

I gather that MLionize-DP1.command will create the boot USB, and I did that. Then I used the USB to install Mountain Lion on a spare drive. What should I do next, though?

I used the boot disk to boot my newly installed Mountain Lion partition but I have no audio, and my USB seems to stutter badly. Just wondering whether anyone can advise what they did after they used the USB installer to install 10.8.

Thanks!

(i7 920, P6T Deluxe V1)

This is a question about the 10.8 installer from the Italian thread, but since we don't have a dedicated 10.8 thread in English yet (that I can tell) I'll ask here:

I gather that MLionize-DP1.command will create the boot USB, and I did that. Then I used the USB to install Mountain Lion on a spare drive. What should I do next, though?

I used the boot disk to boot my newly installed Mountain Lion partition but I have no audio, and my USB seems to stutter badly. Just wondering whether anyone can advise what they did after they used the USB installer to install 10.8.

Thanks!

(i7 920, P6T Deluxe V1)

same set up and at the same stage... just installed on HD and now re booted into my lion drive...

there is no extra or chameleon it seems installed so have to get that on it....

Well I tried to go by this guide as well, so once I booted into ML I did the following:

cd ~/Desktop/Mountain-Lionize/Base

finalize /Volumes/Mountain\ Lion\ HDD

and it installed Chameleon and did some patching, probably rebuilt my kext cache.

However it didn't seem to install FakeSMC.kext or anything like that. I had to manually copy those over from my boot USB stick. Still no audio, unfortunately.

It seems like there is some step that I'm just missing but I'm not sure what. I know some people have used this method successfully so I'm hoping someone can chime in with what we should be doing after everything is "installed".

Also, using the LATEST post 10.7.4 DSDT (i7 920) I managed to get a quick boot. No more waiting a minute for IOPIC to return on bootup.

• Like 1

Well I tried to go by this guide as well, so once I booted into ML I did the following:

cd ~/Desktop/Mountain-Lionize/Base

finalize /Volumes/Mountain\ Lion\ HDD

and it installed Chameleon and did some patching, probably rebuilt my kext cache.

However it didn't seem to install FakeSMC.kext or anything like that. I had to manually copy those over from my boot USB stick. Still no audio, unfortunately.

It seems like there is some step that I'm just missing but I'm not sure what. I know some people have used this method successfully so I'm hoping someone can chime in with what we should be doing after everything is "installed".

Also, using the LATEST post 10.7.4 DSDT (i7 920) I managed to get a quick boot. No more waiting a minute for IOPIC to return on bootup.

now booted the USB and then back to the install drive i.e. as if installing from scratch then did -

Then when the system reboots (@ end of install), start again from the USB stick.

Open the terminal from the utilities menu (behind the screen to select the installation language) and type:

./finalize /Volumes/Lion

wait until the process finalizing, and always from terminal type:

(for repair permissioni)

1)

diskutil repairPermissions /Volumes/Lion

wait until the process is completed

(for rebuild the cache)

2)

kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /Volumes/Lion/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

wait until the process will completed

(for reboot)

3)

reboot

changed the boot priorities and now trying to boot off lion...

and i am in but

no sound!!!

hmmm....

you were the one who edited lionize before brilliantly and that solved the sound for me when i did 10.7.4... is that possible again???

Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as you ;)

I rebooted back to Lion for the time being. Perhaps once we get some more people on 10.8 we'll be able to hammer out why we don't have sound running.

Also my USB stuttering returned bigtime. System seemed to be locking up for a split second every few seconds. Very annoying. Happened the first time I booted into 10.8, then when I rebooted it seemed to go away. Then I rebooted a third time and it was back. Nothing in the logs, nothing in dmesg. Kind of tired of playing with this for now so I'll just stick with Lion until I have some time to play with this again ;)

Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as you ;)

I rebooted back to Lion for the time being. Perhaps once we get some more people on 10.8 we'll be able to hammer out why we don't have sound running.

Also my USB stuttering returned bigtime. System seemed to be locking up for a split second every few seconds. Very annoying. Happened the first time I booted into 10.8, then when I rebooted it seemed to go away. Then I rebooted a third time and it was back. Nothing in the logs, nothing in dmesg. Kind of tired of playing with this for now so I'll just stick with Lion until I have some time to play with this again ;)

i had very slow boot but not fussed as seems fine in Mountain... still on it as i am not desperate for sound...

do you know what recondrae does to get the sound working???

found this http://trick77.com/2...-mountain-lion/

I got tired of looking for answers, so I just backed up my 10.8 AppleHDA.kext, removed it, then copied my 10.7.4 working AppleHDA.kext over into 10.8, ran Kext Utility, rebooted, and voila -- sound!

Really not the best way to do it I'm sure, but I just wanted some sound.

• Like 1

I got tired of looking for answers, so I just backed up my 10.8 AppleHDA.kext, removed it, then copied my 10.7.4 working AppleHDA.kext over into 10.8, ran Kext Utility, rebooted, and voila -- sound!

Really not the best way to do it I'm sure, but I just wanted some sound.

can you post a copy of it here??? i dont have working sound on my lion install... as just use it for testing!!!

edit... updated my test drive from 10.7.2 to 10.7.4 and then just copied over... backed up the original too... working sound!!!

• Like 1

glad im not in the boat alone ....... we can take the 10.7.4 sound kext from the DMG installer image ( system library etc ) and instal with kext utility and we will have sound or does the file need t be installed on a working copy of lion i.e. upgrade to lion 10.7.4 and then just copy across ? i would try but im not a t home

many thanks , also can any one host the 10.7.4 next for education purposes? if all is good.

@akhenamenra, I don't know what exactly went wrong on your side, for me it was pretty simple and straight forward installation of the ALC1200 patched AppleHDA.kext. You can delete the 10.8 AppleHDA.kext file and then by using Kext Wizard just installed the patched AppleHDA.kext and use Kext Utility to repair permission and rebuild the kernel cache.

ScreenShot2012-07-30at105649PM.png

• Like 1