[GUIDE] Lion 10.7 on Asus X58 (LGA 1366) i7 9xx

ErmaC

870 posts in this topic

how do you confirm you speedstep is working?

recently i realized my speedstep is probably not working, by monitoring watt meter. the only way to find out the frequency of cpu was this command in terminal

sysctl hw.cpufrequency

which always list my max frequency (3.8 in my case). the whole computer has high watt usage so i assume speedstep not working.

if not, what should i try to do?

ps: speedstep used to work in SL for me, i had different gfx card though

@qbe

You also try setting you CPU in stock mode? (no OverClock mode...) same result in power usage?

If you have the same result (so the speedStep fails)...

I would try a little experiments with extra SSDT I create time ago for Snow (and never used)...

let me know.

Fabio

Try adding this to your org.chameleon.boot.plist

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

My system was overclocked, but I had disabled c-stepping and speedstepping in my bios for windows stability.

System was running AWFUL in osx however, so I did some searching, and found that fix.

Seems you have the opposite problem, mine was locked in low power/ low performance mode, yours is stuck in high. Perhaps the same fix will work

I had the external hard drive issue when I first got 10.7.3 running, however, I downloaded the newest version of lionize (just used the link in the first page of this post) and it fixed all my issues, the older version I had (also from the first page of this post, its been updated) wouldnt run, saying I need osx 10.7, so it didnt like the .3 update.

• Like 1

I had the external hard drive issue when I first got 10.7.3 running, however, I downloaded the newest version of lionize (just used the link in the first page of this post) and it fixed all my issues, the older version I had (also from the first page of this post, its been updated) wouldnt run, saying I need osx 10.7, so it didnt like the .3 update.

Your a Leg End

i found out by comparing power usage in win7 vs lion in idle.

when i use stock settings the power usage is lower, but that is to be expected as speedstep fallback speed when oced is 2.4ghz (almost stock) and it cant go lower so higher consumption is expected when oced. but when comparing windows7 and lion usage, there is 60-70 watts difference on each settings stock / oc.

after testing i found out the culprit, seems like its my gfx card not going into power saving modes. even though i edited power kexts according to guides here, because of dual screen it doesn't really turn on power saving modes as it does in w7. but that is subject to different threads, not this one.

tx

Try adding this to your org.chameleon.boot.plist

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

My system was overclocked, but I had disabled c-stepping and speedstepping in my bios for windows stability.

added those lines already before posting here when i tried to find a solution, but it did not do any difference.

as far as adding speedsteping options in bios i had them on all along. they never did any instability in windows for me and actually i wouldn't oc without them anyway as the gain in saving watts and cooler computer is worth it for me. I'm not hitting the oc wall so its safe to have them on.

my drives are showing as internal …..altho i have them in the side bar and not on the desk top as per below

It does not matter if you have your drives showing on the desktop or not, they are shown as either external or internal regardless.

Fabio any idea on why our drives are showing up as internal?

• Like 1

It does not matter if you have your drives showing on the desktop or not, they are shown as either external or internal regardless.

Fabio any idea on why our drives are showing up as internal?

can't help then b , altho my booting partition has messed up i have to boot from a dongle

No problems here. Did the update and ran Recrendae from an old 7.1 install, installed FakeSMC and AppleVIAATA, rebooted and here I am.

Was going to skip this update but then read an article about all the security fixes (lots of them) so decided I may as well.

All on my new Corsair Force 3 SSD! I'm waiting for my new no-name PCIe SATAIII controller based on the ASM1061 chip to take full advantage of the drive speed. Will report here compatibility and wether or not I can get the port multiplier on the card working.

I solved the problem!

I have absolutely no idea how. As someone who works as a developer, not knowing how I fixed something frustrates the hell out of me.

Sorry if the same thing happened to you and you are looking for answers. But If it has, ask and I will hopefully have something helpful to add.

I experienced almost exactly the same thing as you. The only way I can get the computer to boot is to boot to my Win7 install on another drive, after that, it works fine. But it seems like everytime I try to put OSX to sleep, I get the same problem.

I experienced almost exactly the same thing as you. The only way I can get the computer to boot is to boot to my Win7 install on another drive, after that, it works fine. But it seems like everytime I try to put OSX to sleep, I get the same problem.

The problem was I think that when I put it to sleep once I yanked out a USB stick just as it went to sleep. I don't know why but that somehow corrupted my chameleon.

When I booted up on the USB stick and booted into another partition, then shut down fully, chameleon seemed to fix itself? I don't even know if that's possible but that's my only explanation right now.

Now I can put it to sleep with no problems again...

The problem was I think that when I put it to sleep once I yanked out a USB stick just as it went to sleep. I don't know why but that somehow corrupted my chameleon.

When I booted up on the USB stick and booted into another partition, then shut down fully, chameleon seemed to fix itself? I don't even know if that's possible but that's my only explanation right now.

Now I can put it to sleep with no problems again...

I probably did the same thing, or something similar, as I need to pull and reinsert my Bluetooth usb dongle to get OSX to recognize it again after a reboot/sleep. I experienced the same thing, but I cannot get it to sleep anymore. I'm pretty much stuck with doing a full shutdown and cold boot each session, unless someone has any ideas for what I can look at. I'm very new to OSX, so I'm kind of going with the flow here.