Got a new Lenovo B570 laptop. RAWR! Need help!

Godolete

13 posts in this topic

I just picked up a new Lenovo B570 laptop from BB yesterday and I can't for the life of me get Lion to install! I had a hard enough time just getting it to boot from the USB stick, ending up using pLop to boot a disc then booting from the USB stick. It doesn't seem to like any drive formatted with GUID, only MBR. Anyhow, I got the USB stick to at least start booting after starting up off the pLop disc, but it hangs right after "DSMOS has arrived". Here's the specs of the machine:

Intel Pentium B940 2.0ghz "Sandy Bridge" CPU

Intel HD 3000 Graphics

500GB Hitachi SATA HDD

4GB RAM

Atheros AR9285 WLAN

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Install Guide Go to http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...586&hl=b570 for install guide and discussion about fixes.

I've got the B570 up and running (the Core i3 Version).

Here is what I did:

First of all it (like it is mentioned in the former posts) don't use GUID! The B570 Bios can't handle it, not even on the internal drive.

I used a pre-installed Lion 10.7.1 installation (I recommend using a usb hard drive, not a stick, because even the fastest stick is slow as hell compared to a usb hd. It may be useful for installation but a whole OSX running from a stick is a pain in the ass).

I've run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.80 with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] on it and was good to go. For some reason [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 4 for Lion does not work, it gave me KP's or restarts, wasn't been able to reach the GUI. I think it is due to the boot loader, every Chameleon higher than 8xx causes problems. Maybe some technician can explain that.

Next thing: PS/2 for keyboard and touchpad. The problem is, that the PS/2 voodoo driver is 32-bit, so no go for Lion. I've obtained a 64-bit Apple PS/2 (attached) and it worked. But it is not working all the way: you cannot control the keyboard through control panel (no remapping for the command and alt-key) and you get annoying "Looking for Bluetooth-Keyboard" messages on every boot. For the latter: tell the Bluetooth Client not to inform you, when no keyboard is plugged in (and OSX thinks that no keyboard is there). Not really a solution, but it helps. For remapping the keyboard (i want the alt-key to be the alt-key!) you can use KeyRemap4Macbook which loads on every boot if you want it (and you want it). Now, you have working touchpad an keyboard.

Display: HD3000 works out of the Box. Don't use GraphicsEnabler! (I tried it)

Audio: Unfortunately on the B570 we have a Conexant. After many attempts I finally have found a VoodooHDA that worked (attached). For stopping stuttering and noises: You need to add your device and vendor id to the boot.plist inside VoodooHDA. And you have to change the GAIN to 0. Do that in the boot.plist directly too, because the freaking Voodoo Control Panel does not remember configurations. Sound input and Mic don't work – any ideas?

WLAN: Atheros works with Patch.

Bluetooth: OOB

WebCam: DOES NOT WORK. I tried everything I found on the internet. The webcam switches on (light is glowing) but no picture at all. NEED HELP.

PowerManagement and Sleep: OH NO. Still using NullCPUManagement (sucks the life out of a battery like a vampire), VoodooBattery and SleepEnabler. Kind of working, goes to sleep and wakes up after a few hits on the keyboard. Sound is scrambled and has to be reenabled after that. I hate it. Haven't been able to compile a working DSDT yet.

IF SOMEONE CAN GIVE ME A WORKING DSDT I WILL KISS HER/HIM!

In summary:

– Reliable and quite fast notebook to run OSX on

– Must use MBR partition scheme

– Keyboard, Touchpad, Graphics, WLAN, Bluetooth work, Battery (Voodoo)

– Audio has output and internal speakers, Sleep is working as good it as can be with SleepEnabler

– Webcam doesn't work (switches on but no picture)

– Power management is not working

– REALLY NEED A DSDT-SOLUTION – ANY HELP WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED

UPDATE:

Chameleon r1552 does work (versions from 8xx up untill this release gave me KP's or no QE with HD3000). So does the webcam with the help of "CameraControl" (start Photobooth e.g. then CameraControl and you have a picture). I added Isight.kext and AnyCardReader.kext with correct ID's (haven't tested card reader yet, but is shown as internal card reader under USB).

I have attached all the kexts (including sleep enabler for 10.7.1) I am using plus boot.plist and smbios.plist.

Still there is no working sleep. I've tried pmVersion=102 but no difference. Computer goes to sleep and wakes up instantly. But no KP's, which is good...

Parallels 6 claims no VT-x enabled, but with Parallels 7 it works, so it seems that it is Lion related.

Hope someone can tell me how to fix PM and sleep. :D

Sounds promising. However, i can't help you get a DSDT. Unless of course you can take a plane over here with your laptop. :P

Download Ubuntu and burn it to a CD and boot it up. Then follow this guide on how to obtain your DSDT. Once obtained. Upload it here and i'll see what i can do. :)

www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=215844

Regarding Audio, I could possibly get it working but i need codec dumps from you.

Follow

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=465

But if you want to try to get audio working properly. After you have your dumps and reading your Info, you might want to follow this guide below.

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...entry9392

EDIT: started a new Thread because this is not about installation anymore

B570 post installation

Sounds promising. However, i can't help you get a DSDT. Unless of course you can take a plane over here with your laptop. :P

Download Ubuntu and burn it to a CD and boot it up. Then follow this guide on how to obtain your DSDT. Once obtained. Upload it here and i'll see what i can do. :)

www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=215844

Regarding Audio, I could possibly get it working but i need codec dumps from you.

Follow

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=465

But if you want to try to get audio working properly. After you have your dumps and reading your Info, you might want to follow this guide below.

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...entry9392

Thanks for the reply :)

I believe I got speed stepping working with speed stepper (have to try with power chord unplugged and see if I get half an hour more :)). With that I have working sleep somehow (I added USB-Fixes to dsdt cause the usb devices seemed to have prevented sleep). I can put the notebook to sleep manually by using Fn+F1 but not by closing the lid (but it wakes up, when I open it...). The problem with speed stepper is that you have to get a new one with every system update or else you get KP. I would rather be independent.

So if you could have a look at my dsdt that would be great :) Thanks!

Inputs work with VoodooHDA and I found out what the problem is: the bit depth resets to 320k on every reboot and I have to put it manually to 44 or 48k in Audio Midi Setup and then everything works (haven't tested HDMI yet). Have you any idea how I can change the bit depth automaticaly on system start?

Update: Use patched AppleHDA now and everything is working. Look

The other thing that gets on my nerves is the damn long boot time. I've updated chameleon to 1573 and added UseKernelCache=Yes, repaired permissions and so on but I only get

/System/Library/Extensions is more recent than KernelCache (/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache), ignoring KernelCache

on every boot. I don't know what to do. Any ideas are welcome!

Update: Long boot time was caused by Parallels 7.

EDIT: started a new Thread because this is not about installation anymore

B570 post installation

Thanks for the reply :)

I believe I got speed stepping working with speed stepper (have to try with power chord unplugged and see if I get half an hour more ;)). With that I have working sleep somehow (I added USB-Fixes to dsdt cause the usb devices seemed to have prevented sleep). I can put the notebook to sleep manually by using Fn+F1 but not by closing the lid (but it wakes up, when I open it...). The problem with speed stepper is that you have to get a new one with every system update or else you get KP. I would rather be independent.

So if you could have a look at my dsdt that would be great :) Thanks!

Inputs work with VoodooHDA and I found out what the problem is: the bit depth resets to 320k on every reboot and I have to put it manually to 44 or 48k in Audio Midi Setup and then everything works (haven't tested HDMI yet). Have you any idea how I can change the bit depth automaticaly on system start?

The other thing that gets on my nerves is the damn long boot time. I've updated chameleon to 1573 and added UseKernelCache=Yes, repaired permissions and so on but I only get

/System/Library/Extensions is more recent than KernelCache
(/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache), 
ignoring KernelCache

on every boot. I don't know what to do. Any ideas are welcome!

Sorry for slow reply. It looks like you're not interested in Retail anymore eh? ;)

I think there should be an option to set the bit depth on boot in the VoodooHDA Info.plist

The reason you get that S/L/E is more recent is because i assume* your kernel cache hasn't been "newly cached" for awhile. Delete the kernelcache and reboot. That should fix it. Or another way is running [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. That should do it for you.

I can try your DSDT but i'll admit i don't know much. I can try though. :)

Anyway. I edited your DSDT. From

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20110623-32 [Jun 23 2011]
Copyright (c) 2000 - 2011 Intel Corporation

DSDT.dsl   4354:							 Name (_T_0, Zero)
Remark   5111 -		 Use of compiler reserved name ^  (_T_0)

DSDT.dsl   4427:							 Name (_T_0, Zero)

DSDT.dsl   4500:							 Name (_T_0, Zero)

DSDT.dsl   4573:							 Name (_T_0, Zero)

DSDT.dsl   4794:							 Name (_T_0, Zero)

DSDT.dsl   4867:							 Name (_T_0, Zero)

DSDT.dsl   7566:				 Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
Warning  1088 -							 ^ Not all control paths return a val
ue (_CRS)

DSDT.dsl   7566:				 Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
Warning  1081 -							 ^ Reserved method must return a valu
e (Buffer required for _CRS)

DSDT.dsl   8810:		 Method (HKDS, 1, NotSerialized)
Warning  1088 -					 ^ Not all control paths return a value (HKDS
)

DSDT.dsl   9322:			 Method (_WED, 1, NotSerialized)
Warning  1088 -						 ^ Not all control paths return a value (
_WED)

DSDT.dsl   9322:			 Method (_WED, 1, NotSerialized)
Warning  1081 -						 ^ Reserved method must return a value (I
nteger/String/Buffer required for _WED)

DSDT.dsl   9567:		 Method (WB15, 6, NotSerialized)
Warning  1088 -					 ^ Not all control paths return a value (WB15
)

DSDT.dsl   9853:		 Method (_DOD, 0, NotSerialized)
Warning  1088 -					 ^ Not all control paths return a value (_DOD
)

DSDT.dsl   9853:		 Method (_DOD, 0, NotSerialized)
Warning  1081 -					 ^ Reserved method must return a value (Packa
ge required for _DOD)

DSDT.dsl  10700:			 Method (_CFG, 0, NotSerialized)
Warning  1099 -   Unknown reserved name ^  (_CFG)

DSDT.dsl  10700:			 Method (_CFG, 0, NotSerialized)
Warning  1099 -   Unknown reserved name ^  (_CFG)

DSDT.dsl  10846:				 Name (_T_0, Zero)
Remark   5111 -						   ^ Use of compiler reserved name (_T_0)

ASL Input:  DSDT.dsl - 11465 lines, 340042 bytes, 4409 keywords
AML Output: DSDT.aml - 40231 bytes, 1085 named objects, 3324 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 10 Warnings, 7 Remarks, 20 Optimizations

to

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20110623-32 [Jun 23 2011]
Copyright (c) 2000 - 2011 Intel Corporation

ASL Input:  DSDT.dsl - 11527 lines, 341696 bytes, 4426 keywords
AML Output: DSDT.aml - 40418 bytes, 1088 named objects, 3338 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 23 Optimizations

macinsane.zip

Thanks for your help :(

I also added a fix for lid sleep (found some old guide I modified for lion). Now that works.

Unfortunately the speed stepping problem remains. I have searched for weeks now and i'm beginning to lose faith :ninja:

And lion is still not using the kextcache. Deleting it and repairing permissions made no difference.

In Console I can read things like

com.apple.kextd: Cache file /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Directories/System/Library/Extensions/KextIdentifiers.plist.gz is out of date; not using.

Audio: I've looked for a command I can put in the VoodooHDA plist in the last days but could't find anything. Everyone says: "Change values in Audio Midi Setup". But nothing about how to modify VoodooHDA itself.

I'm not sure how to solve the issue with the caches but i believe it's not really that much of a problem? haha. I myself haven't perfected my installation so i have not touched on kextcache yet.

About Audio, well i think there might not be a way. hmm. You'll have to find out more on your own. Can't help you here.

I'm not sure how to solve the issue with the caches but i believe it's not really that much of a problem? haha. I myself haven't perfected my installation so i have not touched on kextcache yet.

About Audio, well i think there might not be a way. hmm. You'll have to find out more on your own. Can't help you here.

I'm using a patched AppleHDA now and everything but HDMI (that I don't need) works correctly. ;)

Cache problem remains even after fresh install. The strange thing is, that Lion uses the cache until I install the first kext with Kext Wizard. Using Kext Utility and deleting cache doesn't help.

Update: Boot problem was caused by Parallels 7

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Spent 2 weeks to install Lion on B570 with B940 CPU.

Almost everything works except video: only single 1024x768 resolution.

Read a lot about that and can conclude that HD2000 is not supported [yet], so today I went to the shop and replaced my laptop by the same model but with Core i3-2310m (will install today evening :)

But if someone is still interested in, my practice:

1. No Chameleon works for me, only Chimera 10.6, for both installation flash drive and HDD with installed OSX.

2. Installed iAtkos 10.5.7 to prepare insallation flash and make modifications on installed Lion (and also made simple bootable flash (used 32Mb card) with Chameleon from 10.5.7 DVD, otherwise it's impossible to boot both Leopard and Lion without installing propriate bootloader what takes lots of time). The installation of Leopard is very simple (requires VoodooPS2 kext).

3. Installed iAtkos L1 with options follow macinsane's recommendations.

4. Boot into Leopard and delete all AppleIntelHDGraphics kexts (otherwise getting "Transcript Offline : Buffer pool allocate [18100] failed")

5. Boot into lion with -s and delete 2 lines

<string>DeviceSection</string>

<string>KeyboardTypeSection</string>

from System/Library/CoreServices/Setup Assistant.app/Contents/Info.plist

(otherwise getting "no keyboard connected).

6. Used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] in Leopard to install PS2 support but maybe this is not neccessary.

7. Now it's possible too boot into Lion! Doing post-installation stuff (WiFi etc. using macinsane's guide)

Hope my guide will be helpful :)

• 4 weeks later...