(fixed! ) Some Thoughts on FaceTime Problem in Lion

smartie77

47 posts in this topic

Fixed, see below posts :)

As many I am one of those suffering the FaceTime Problem in Lion ( currently 10.7.2 11c43 ).

Whenever I want to connect I get the dreaded message "Server encountered a error" blah.. .

In Snow Leopard with the FT from AppStore no problem.

So obviously FT in Lion changed.

Real Apple Users have the same problems, with the same error messages. I am also active in Apple's forums and studied the answers given there.

Now for SOME people different approaches seems to have helped ( on real Macs ) :

1.taking out all entries of /etc/hosts, except the default entries.

2. creating a custom keyring for FaceTime .

3. clearing out all invalid key rings in keychain.app or running a repair on key rings

4. Adding 8.8.8.8 as DNS server in your Wifi Connections properties.

5. Changing FT's Plist info value item "UIRequiresPersistentWiFi" from Yes into No.

because some Users over at Apples support section yelled "it works now" with the trick 4 , I come to the conclusion that the Problem might have heavily to do for us hackintoshers with using non-Apple wifi adapters.

Because for me nothing worked from the above. And I use Ralink Wifi over usb. What if FT is "dongled" to APPLE WIFI alone ( i.e. "formerly known as AirPort" ) ?

thoughts ?

FaceTime in Lion uses at least the following in

/System/Library/Private Frameworks :

FTCLIENTSERVICES.framework

FTSERVICES.framework

MARCO.framework

just for reference to Ethernet built-in yes or no :

My Ethernet ( Realtek PCIE in Laptop with official driver plugin in IONETWORKFAMILY ) is "built in", both via DSDT method "device Lan0" and via chameleon as well as device property efi string in the boot.plist.

I have not a single problem buying at MacAppStore or iTunes Store. My Apple-ID is always valid and I also use it over at Apples forum. In fact I have also registered Lion with Apple ( yes I do let them know about my hacks and nothing "bad" ever happened since the Tiger Days ).

It must be related to Wifi, not Ethernet.

remember : FaceTime is an APP for IPHONE and IPOD TOUCH, enabling them to make "video phone calls" to each other", these calls are initiated over the iDevices WiFi connection , not the phone providers connection.

Facetime for the Mac OS was added later, so that calls could be made also to Macs.

So it would make perfect sense if Apple limited the FaceTime app in Lion now also to "Wifi only". And that's why I would assume that "Ethernet" has nothing to do with that "Server Error".

OSX Lion had bad problems with Wifi ( for native Airport cards on real Macs ) - most of them should be cured by 10.7.1 but definitely in 10.7.2. Of course we users of 3rd party solutions are not affected by that all.

Edited by smartie77
  • Like 1

Hi,

Nice Summary of the floating solutions.

You missed out the one relating to Chameleon RC2-755. This one seems to resolve the problem for Hackintoshes. Why do later releases of Chameleon break FT ? I haven't seen any answer to that even though many members poped the question in the chameleon threads.

So, is the problem with the boot loader?

I got around this by using EthernetBuiltIn, deleting NetwotkInterfaces.plist and recreating Ethernet as En(0) in Network preferences. (Your ethernet card needs to bee working).

Cheers

I tried it. WORKS : ;)

steps : install chameleon pkg svn 2.1 aug29 ( this ensures that boot.plist is renamed to ORG.. ) , then replaced boot file in / with this patched one 2 days later made with the ft patch - rebooted and voila :

post-156995-1314982884_thumb.png

Great.

cham2.1 aug29 pkg :

Chameleon_2.1svn_r1478.pkg.zip

boot ft fix :

chameleon.facetime.zip

plist boot + smbios editor :

Lizard.zip

Edited by smartie77
  • Like 2

didn't work for me, same error as before

"The server encountered an error blah blah blah"

I don't really use it but it would be nice sometimes, Apple has more to do on it

Initially after I applied the patch to get a new boot file with current version of chameleon I am using, Facetime was working fine. Then I started having the error again, but also got verifying email issues at the sametime.

But it ended up being that the login I used for facetime, which was the same as the itunes/app store apple id also existed as my email address I registered with. so like "user" appleid also existed as "user@mailserver.com" both I was able to sign on with the same password.

I ended up changing the "user" one as "user@mailserver.com" and the old one changing it to another email. All is good now.

Real macs had this problem with the registration processes as well. You can manage your appleid at http://appleid.apple.com

@d00d,

Many thanks for info. I wonder whether just replacing the 'boot' file is sufficient (Including creation oof new org.. plist.

Cheers

yes

This fix has been reverted in r1497 due to an issue with it on a RAID.

I got past the activation now, still every call fails "FaceTime Failed' I have all the correct ports opn on my router, no DNS changes, clean host file..... I wonder what it could be!

what did you do to get past the activation ?

Installed Chameleon 2.1svn r1478 then...

Use this bot file

chameleon.facetime.zip

Just follow smartie77 guide in post 4

But mine still fails on every call, no matter what I do. weird

I tried it. WORKS : ^_^

steps : install chameleon pkg svn 2.1 aug29 ( this ensures that boot.plist is renamed to ORG.. ) , then replaced boot file in / with this patched one 2 days later made with the ft patch - rebooted and voila :

post-156995-1314982884_thumb.png

Great.

cham2.1 aug29 pkg :

Chameleon_2.1svn_r1478.pkg.zip

boot ft fix :

chameleon.facetime.zip

plist boot + smbios editor :

Hey mate,

any idea how my FaceTime isn't working? FaceTime failed every time?

I can log in now now problem.

Lizard.zip

Can you post your SMBios.plist up?

this is the one I created, before I was not using one at all.

<key>SMbiosvendor</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>MP41.88Z.0081.B08.1001221313</string>

<key>SMboardproduct</key>

<string>Mac-F221BEC8</string>

<key>SMfamily</key>

<string>MacPro</string>

<key>SMmanufacturer</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMmemtype</key>

<string>24</string>