Switchable Graphics: Physically Remove one card.

kdogg556

11 posts in this topic

I have a HP Pavilion dv7-6135dx. It has Intel HD 3000 Graphics and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6490m. i cannot seem to get the intel Graphics to load correctly. The information in system profiler is as follows:

Display:

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

Vram(total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x0116

Revision: 0x0009

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024x768

Pixel Depth: 32-bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

The resolution should be 1600x900 (i have tried GraphicsMode=1600x900x32, no avail).

The ATI card is as follows:

Unknown:

Chipset Model: Unknown

Bus: PCIe

SLot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (total): 256mb

Vendor: ATI(0x1002)

Device ID: 0x6760

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318

Displays:

Display Connector:

Display Connector:

I have loaded many different kexts (2011 MBP Intel HD Graphics, and ATI Kexts). I have also added my device id to different kexts.

Is there any hope? I was thinking about trying to physically remove one of my cards in hopes that i can get the other to work. Anyone know of anything better?

I have the same problem as you. I have a HP laptop with switchable graphics. In the BIOS, you should be able to change the graphics setting from 'Hybrid' (which means 'switchable') to either 'iGPU' or 'dGPU' (integrated/discrete graphics respectively). Attempting to change this setting does not work. The laptop will revert to Hybrid once the BIOS setup menu is saved and exited. If you select dGPU, the system fails to even exit the BIOS setup, it seems to hang on a black (blank) screen.

These video settings can be found in the advanced menu in the BIOS setup. The advanced menu is usually only accessible by repeatedly tapping 'a' after selecting to enter BIOS setup.

Let me know if you have this very same problem.

I have a HP Pavilion dv7-6135dx. It has Intel HD 3000 Graphics and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6490m. i cannot seem to get the intel Graphics to load correctly. The information in system profiler is as follows:

Display:

Bus: Built-In

Vram(total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x0116

Revision: 0x0009

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024x768

Pixel Depth: 32-bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

The resolution should be 1600x900 (i have tried GraphicsMode=1600x900x32, no avail).

The ATI card is as follows:

Unknown:

Chipset Model: Unknown

Bus: PCIe

SLot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (total): 256mb

Vendor: ATI(0x1002)

Device ID: 0x6760

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318

Displays:

Display Connector:

Display Connector:

I have loaded many different kexts (2011 MBP Intel HD Graphics, and ATI Kexts). I have also added my device id to different kexts.

Is there any hope? I was thinking about trying to physically remove one of my cards in hopes that i can get the other to work. Anyone know of anything better?

Did You can try to install Snow Leopard?

May be should You will try Lion?

On my laptop (Dell Vostro3350), the system was properly set.

Video HD3000 show is correct.

I had great difficulty with Snow Leopard.

You must use correct DSDT

Did You can try to install Snow Leopard?

May be should You will try Lion?

On my laptop (Dell Vostro3350), the system was properly set.

Video HD3000 show is correct.

I had great difficulty with Snow Leopard.

You must use correct DSDT

I am working on installing lion as we speak. I hope this will fix my problems. Ive been at this for about 3 weeks.

You cannot switch to ATI card in OSX. The DV7 series laptops have muxless GPU switching in which the display is connected permanently to the Intel card.

Intel HD3000 (0116) works in Lion & SL 10.6.8 OOB, just make sure that you're using MacbookPro8,1 smbios.plist..

Only the thing needed now is to be able to power off the ATI card via DSDT so that it does not draw power.

You cannot switch to ATI card in OSX. The DV7 series laptops have muxless GPU switching in which the display is connected permanently to the Intel card.

Intel HD3000 (0116) works in Lion & SL 10.6.8 OOB, just make sure that you're using MacbookPro8,1 smbios.plist..

Only the thing needed now is to be able to power off the ATI card via DSDT so that it does not draw power.

• 11 months later...

You can explain more abaut this becouse, i don't have enought knowlge in DSDT For that, thanks