Move Leopard Programs to Lion

protonus

3 posts in this topic

Hi Guys, as the title says, how do I move my programs from Leopard to Lion?

I have successfully installed Lion on my PC (external HD) and want to move all my programs that I have installed on Leopard to Lion. I would also like the data files moved.

For example I have my screen saver (Electric Sheep) and would like to move all of it plus the data that it has downloaded for the "sheep". Plus a few other programs. Is it just a case of copying them from the Applications folder in Leopard to the Application folder in Lion?

Ta.

apps that get installed via icon drag and drop usually can be copied over from /Applications od old OSX into same folder of new OSX.

Apps that used an installation program can't, because they installed stuff into the System that are missing on the new OS. So you need to re-install them of course on the new OS, using their original installers ( provided they are compatible with Lion; remember that ppc apps are no longer working in Lion ; and for iLife you need at least v11 plus all additional updates.)

for personal settings you might give the "migration assistant" a try.

apps that get installed via icon drag and drop usually can be copied over from /Applications od old OSX into same folder of new OSX.

Apps that used an installation program can't, because they installed stuff into the System that are missing on the new OS. So you need to re-install them of course on the new OS, using their original installers ( provided they are compatible with Lion; remember that ppc apps are no longer working in Lion ; and for iLife you need at least v11 plus all additional updates.)

for personal settings you might give the "migration assistant" a try.

Ah OK thanks for that, going on to Migration Assistant, I tried using the it to migrate my Applications (only applications) but it keeps trying to copy my kexts over from Leopard too, is there a way to move just the Applications in Applications and nothing else?

EDIT:

OK What I did was remove sleepenabler kext and rebuilt permissions and viola, it booted with all my programs there including my Adobe CS4 (YIPEE) Thanks Uni for my cheap adobe... Now to see if it works...