Trying my own G5 case mod [Need your help]

DaveVegas

35 posts in this topic

So I took everything out of the case, and today the MB Tray arrived!

I left the standoffs in there, because I have NO CLUE what to do next. Which standoffs should I remove?

It's the MB Tray from Mountain Mod, and someone said I could use the existing standoffs? I haven't figured out which though.

Here are some pictures.

This one is from the case interiour with the standoffs:

zrich2011091300462.jpg

And here's the Mobo tray:

zrich2011091300463.jpg

I decided to cut the back, it's way easier then bracing stuff.

Need your help here!

Thanks!

Rob

I removed the standoffs with the ball at the end as they get in the way. I just tapped them with a hammer and they popped right off. What I did was pop some standoffs off and then screw them into the motherboard tray using the logic board screws off the old G5. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1738155 From there I used JB Weld on the bottom of the standoffs and rested the tray where I decided it needed to go. The JB Weld is pretty strong and held up nicely.

Just make sure everything lines up before doing so. Another way is to use a glue gun but that takes more measuring and I am lazy.

As for the back panel that is a tough one. There are bolts on the inside of the case so it would be hard to get it snug against the edges. You may need to find something else or cover up the hole and cut out a new one for your fan or fans.

Hey guys,

Thank you for your support!

I bought the backpanel with the two 80mm fan pors. Mountain mods is really cool.

I'll drill some holes into the mb tray so it fits the original standoffs.

Will post pictures soon.

Thanks again!

Rob

Remove the taller standoffs and use only the short ones (3 will align) and the tray will be perfect height for the rear panel. You can look at my thread since I'm using the mountain mods tray.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=267834

I see, you managed that great. However you had to take the psu plug up right?

I want to keep that down there..

Rob

I see, you managed that great. However you had to take the psu plug up right?

I want to keep that down there..

Rob

Well either way - if you want the back plate to be right against the edge you gotta use only the short standoffs to bolt down the tray. 2 will align if you go up with the tray.