nx7400

bigeasy

6 posts in this topic

The only thing holding it back now is the lack of solid dual-core performance, it just randomly crashes if you don't disable 1 of the cores. I've had a search on the forum but the posts about the dual core issue are quite old, has this been solved now?

I managed to install a 1395 wifi card by using a hacked bios that disables the white list, I can post the links if anyone needs it.

• 3 weeks later...
The only thing holding it back now is the lack of solid dual-core performance, it just randomly crashes if you don't disable 1 of the cores. I've had a search on the forum but the posts about the dual core issue are quite old, has this been solved now?

I managed to install a 1395 wifi card by using a hacked bios that disables the white list, I can post the links if anyone needs it.

Hey, sorry to butt in here, but could you tell me HOW you got your nx7400 working.. even with ONE core?

I am new to these types of installs, and got the 10.6.1-10.6.2 By Hazard to install completely. Unfortunately, when it boots from the hard drive, I get a kernel panic.

Could you help me with the steps you took? Thanks!

• 4 months later...

I'm glad to see some people still working on this old beast. I've got one that I'm working on for a friend, though it will be a while before I am actually done. Prior to working on the nx7400 I was finishing up on my toshiba m105-s3084, which has similar specs. The actual install was done the same for both. I used my current working rock solid hackintosh desktop to format a 2.5 drive using a cannibalized usb hard drive enclosure. I then ran [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and installed using only the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] option to the 2.5 hardrive. All this can be done with a simple sata to mini sata cable btw, got one in the mail a short time afterwards (from ebay). There is a boot disk out there as well, but I never looked for it.

Anywho, installation is easy after that. Install the 2.5 in the lappy, and boot off the hard drive selecting your retail disk of snow leopard at the prompt. I can't remember right now but you may need to boot using cpus=1 or -x, or a combination of both.

Launch into the install and tell it to into to your hd. DO NOT FORMAT the drive. That was already done when the drive was out of the laptop. DO NOT check that little box that erases the destination disk, you need to keep the bootloader that you had installed on there.

After the install finishes boot from the hd using -x cpus=1, and hookup a usb mouse and usb keyboard. There may be a dsdt fix for this, but I found it easiest to get over the first major pain in the butt by removing IOFireWireFamily.kext. That stinkin little kext caused me hours of frustration. After removing that kext I was able to boot without cpus=1 or -x. There is still a problem with a page fault kernel panic that will happen from time to time (and it is far more frequent with the nx7400 compared to the m105-s3084) but I am working on squashing that problem on my Toshiba (getting close). I think the answer is in the dsdt and conflicting irq's. When I've got it licked on my Toshiba, as time permits (lots going on at work) I will do the same for the nx7400. I will post what I've found and post my edited dsdt.

Found the boot disk.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186451

I would use the modded one that Al-Baby posted. BUT (there is always a but isn't there) I take no credit and make no claims that it will work. I have never used it. If you can use the disk to install your retail osx I would still configure it differently (diff chameleon, probably different kexts, probably different dsdt). Like I said, I have never used the disk, but as I understand it the configuration using that disk allows for operation using only one core. I have been using both cores on my Toshiba and the nx7400. So far the Toshiba I have been working on looks to be working. If so I'm pretty sure I can get the stubborn old nx7400 working without panic as well.

• 2 weeks later...

AND it works! Much love to Slice and his branch of chameleon bootloader. I've managed to get both cores running and no random freezes. Much love also goes to Bautzen. Using his dsdt for the nc6400 I've gotten c and p states working as well. Bautzen discusses all this here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=257627&hl=nc6400&fromsearch=1 Also, credit goes to Xistos for his dsdt edits.

• 5 months later...