I need help with Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 Sleep Wake Issue

MacModifier

39 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I have finished my new build of Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 Custom Build. Everything works great, Audio, Networking, and Graphics, EVERYTHING BUT, the Wake from Sleep. I have tried many solutions out there.

PROBLEM, - When I use the sleep command on the computer, when I go to wake it up everything powers on the fans the lights in the case however the screen stays black and will not come back on. I have to use the power button and force restart the computer and it re-sets the Bios. I then have to change the bios and reset the setting.

What is the solution to get this working so that when it goes to sleep I can hit a key and it will power back on, graphics and all?

I am running OS X Lion.

Any suggestions are welcomed and I will try them all.

On a side note, reading some other posts, I am not the only one with this issue from this motherboard install.

Thanks in Advance,

MacModifier

Hello Everyone,

I have finished my new build of Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 Custom Build. Everything works great, Audio, Networking, and Graphics, EVERYTHING BUT, the Wake from Sleep. I have tried many solutions out there.

PROBLEM, - When I use the sleep command on the computer, when I go to wake it up everything powers on the fans the lights in the case however the screen stays black and will not come back on. I have to use the power button and force restart the computer and it re-sets the Bios. I then have to change the bios and reset the setting.

What is the solution to get this working so that when it goes to sleep I can hit a key and it will power back on, graphics and all?

I am running OS X Lion.

Any suggestions are welcomed and I will try them all.

On a side note, reading some other posts, I am not the only one with this issue from this motherboard install.

Thanks in Advance,

MacModifier

well did you hit the mousebuttons a couple of times? and have you patched the RTC file.

well did you hit the mousebuttons a couple of times? and have you patched the RTC file.

Yes I have hit the mouse button tons of times, and the keyboard, and clicked the power button on the case many many times, still the screen refuses to come back on, the only way forward is to power the computer down with a hard power button reset.

I just tried replacing the kext with a AppleRTC.kext from Snow Leopard 10.6.8 that someone posted up in the forums and it did remove the BIOS Reset but it still will not get my screen to come back on.

1. Will going way back to the original install of Snow Leopard and pulling that AppleRTC.kext and replacing the one in Lion with that fix the wake up issue?

2, Also, go into more details of what exactly you mean and how to patch the RTC file? I will try with more details.

MacModifier

I used the kext below yesterday on my GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 motherboard and it fixed my issue. No CMOS reset but need to click a few times to get the display to appear. Maybe it will work for you.

http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1614

xyber233,

Before I download the kext and install it, I downloaded the Snow Leopard AppleRTC from 10.6.8 and it did fix the CMOS reset however, I still could not get my screen to come back on after sleep. I tried clicking the power button many many times and hitting the keyboard and mouse many many times, yet my screen would not come live again after sleep.

I have EVGA GTS 250 Dual DVI Video Card.

Here is my question, before trying the patched kext you linked too, did you have a problem with your screen not coming back on after you went to sleep or was your just a problem with the CMOS reseting itself?

@Macmodifier

Afaik, what a patched AppleRTC.kext does is only prevent your cmos from being reset, which have nothing to do with the ability of your system to sleep.

You should have a proper dsdt & AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext to sleep properly, this is the least requirement. Sure you can go with the sleep enabler method.

@Macmodifier

Afaik, what a patched AppleRTC.kext does is only prevent your cmos from being reset, which have nothing to do with the ability of your system to sleep.

You should have a proper dsdt & AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext to sleep properly, this is the least requirement. Sure you can go with the sleep enabler method.

I am kind of burnt out, I have tried many things. Using a AppleRTC.kext from Snow Leopard 10.6.8 fixes the CMOS reset, that is not a problem anymore but getting the monitor to come back on after it goes to sleep has so far been beyond my reach.

I am using the DSDT file from Tony Macs Database, everything works great, I got Ethernet, I got Audio and Graphics, however, the computer monitor will not come on after I put it to sleep.

If you could take a moment to Post where I can get the proper AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext for my board GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 and also where can I find a thread with the Sleep Enabler Method I would appreciate that and give it a try.

I am pretty close to saying, I guess I will not be able to use the computer sleep feature. :wacko:

I am kind of burnt out, I have tried many things. Using a AppleRTC.kext from Snow Leopard 10.6.8 fixes the CMOS reset, that is not a problem anymore but getting the monitor to come back on after it goes to sleep has so far been beyond my reach.

I am using the DSDT file from Tony Macs Database, everything works great, I got Ethernet, I got Audio and Graphics, however, the computer monitor will not come on after I put it to sleep.

If you could take a moment to Post where I can get the proper AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext for my board GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 and also where can I find a thread with the Sleep Enabler Method I would appreciate that and give it a try.

I am pretty close to saying, I guess I will not be able to use the computer sleep feature. ;)

Hey MacModifier :unsure:

Have you had any progress? I am having the exact same sleep issues with my GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 and would love to hear that you could finally resolve them...

Hey MacModifier :rolleyes:

Have you had any progress? I am having the exact same sleep issues with my GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 and would love to hear that you could finally resolve them...

Saschamt

Yea, I think a lot of people are having the same issue. Everything works great on my system except the sleep issue. I have an Antec KÜHLER H2O 620 Liquid cooling system CPU heat exchanger with integrated pump on my processor and have it OverClocked at 4 Ghz. Runs Fast!

I have come to the conclusion that the only people that can fix the sleep issue have or don't see it as a high priority. I wish I was a software programmer because I would take a crack at it if I was. I thought about contacting Tony Mac and seeing if he and his people could fix it or point me in the right direction. I currently have the computer set to never sleep and the display to sleep after 20 minutes. I wish though that the computer sleep function worked so I could have the computer whined down if it was not being used.

I have figured out how to stop the BIOS from reseting but getting the computer screen to come back on after the computer sleeps I have not been able to get that working.

To stop the BIOS from reseting, just replace Lions AppleRTC.kext with the one from Snow Leopoard. That will keep the BIOS from reseting.

If you figure out how to make the screen come back on, please update my post so I can get my working too.

MacModifier

Saschamt,

I just had a thought, What is your BIOS number? I am currently using BIOS F3 with my Hackintosh board. I saw where another guy with the same board his sleep was working but he Flashed his board to BIOS F7.

So maybe, the problem with the screen not coming on is the BIOS not being flashed to the latest BIOS F7

Before I flash my board to BIOS F7 I wanted to find out what BIOS you had on your board, because if you are running BIOS F7 and having the same problem then I am not going to chance flashing my board.

MacModifier

Saschamt,

I just had a thought, What is your BIOS number? I am currently using BIOS F3 with my Hackintosh board. I saw where another guy with the same board his sleep was working but he Flashed his board to BIOS F7.

So maybe, the problem with the screen not coming on is the BIOS not being flashed to the latest BIOS F7

Before I flash my board to BIOS F7 I wanted to find out what BIOS you had on your board, because if you are running BIOS F7 and having the same problem then I am not going to chance flashing my board.

MacModifier

Sorry for the late reply, MacModifier.

(BIOS F8 is my current version)

I have somehow managed to get sleep working, albeit wonky, with fiddling around in the bios and only using the power button to wake the computer.

Try switching the sleep mode from S3 to S1 and set the power button to shut the computer down when pressed 4 seconds or longer. That way you can use it for a quick sleep mode with a short press. This somehow works for me, but yields lots of problems (usb connectivity, gpu problems). I'm staying away from sleep right now.

Please keep me posted! Good luck!

Sorry for the late reply, MacModifier.

(BIOS F8 is my current version)

I have somehow managed to get sleep working, albeit wonky, with fiddling around in the bios and only using the power button to wake the computer.

Try switching the sleep mode from S3 to S1 and set the power button to shut the computer down when pressed 4 seconds or longer. That way you can use it for a quick sleep mode with a short press. This somehow works for me, but yields lots of problems (usb connectivity, gpu problems). I'm staying away from sleep right now.

Please keep me posted! Good luck!

I wish someone would create a new DSDT or Patch for this board that would fix this problem, I hope that it does come in the near future. If you come across it before me please post the fix so I can get mine working.

I wish someone would create a new DSDT or Patch for this board that would fix this problem, I hope that it does come in the near future. If you come across it before me please post the fix so I can get mine working.

Will do man. I actually donated some money to tony and his crew and got a [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] as a result. I'm busy with my thesis right now but will maybe try a fresh install in a few weeks. I will let you know.

For bios reset write in terminal this

perl -pi -e 's|\x8b\x45\xc8\x39\x45\xcc\x74\x0b|\x8b\x45\xc8\x39\x45\xcc\xeb\x0b|; s|\x8b\x45\xb4\x39\x45\xb8\x74\x08|\x8b\x45\xb4\x39\x45\xb8\xeb\x08|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

For sleep use dsdt.You can patch your own(recommended) or use tonymacx86 site dsdt

For bios reset write in terminal this

perl -pi -e 's|\x8b\x45\xc8\x39\x45\xcc\x74\x0b|\x8b\x45\xc8\x39\x45\xcc\xeb\x0b|; s|\x8b\x45\xb4\x39\x45\xb8\x74\x08|\x8b\x45\xb4\x39\x45\xb8\xeb\x08|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

For sleep use dsdt.You can patch your own(recommended) or use tonymacx86 site dsdt

Shenor,

Thanks for your post, the BIOS Reset terminal command looks like an easy fix, I was able to fix the BIOS Reset by replacing the AppleRTC kext with the one from Snow Leopard. My problem is the Screen will not come back on after deep sleep. The computer will power up just the screen will not fire back on. I am currently using the DSDT file from tonymacx86 dsdt database on the site.

What piece of software can I use to create my own DSDT?

Will it fix this problem I will give it a try?

MacModifier

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Well I updated to BIOS F8 yesterday in the hopes that it would allow the sleep function to work. Still does not work.

Has anyone got sleeping working on this board yet?

Any Update? I have the Same MOBO BIOS F9 but still no wake, someone was talking about Bridgehelper I dont know what is it.. I have everything working expect the Wake , I will update if I finda anything.

my Z68X-UD3H-B3 also does the same thing with sleep, it goes to sleep but after waking it up with mouse clicks, all the fans and lights come on, but display remains black. I have an ATI 5850. I haven't checked if the machine is actually waking up and if it's only the video card that's the issue, I'll do some ping tests later and see if I can SSH in.

I've got sleep/wake...all right

but also got

random CMOS reset

and sound problems

so,

for sleeping right just fix your smbios.plist with imac12.2 characteristics

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>iMac12,2</string>

• 1 month later...

Well, two months later and I have OS X Lion running good. It has been pretty stable so far, not as stable as my Quad Core build was, every once and a while I get a kernel panic but it is very seldom.

Sleep still does not work, I have not spent anymore time trying to find a solution for the sleep problem for this motherboard. I got to say, my old quad core Hack had the sleep feature working perfectly.

If I could do it over would I have upgraded? Probably, it is nice with the newer processor, not much speed difference in the two though. I really like the threaded email feature in lion.

Anyway, if they ever come up with a fix to the sleep problem with this motherboard please post it on this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

I have built a hackintosh with the GA-Z68X-UD5-B3, Asus HD6870 and OCX Vertex 3 SSD and 16GB Corsair Venergance 1866. I have installed vanilla 10.7.2 from USB drive (prepared with Kakewalk). After the first boot I used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to install Chimera, the DSDT.aml from tonymac, iMac 12.2 system identifier. That's it.

Only modification to BIOS (version F7) was HPET set to 64 mode and SATA mode to AHCI. I also disabled onboard audio because I don't use it.

The system works just like a mac, power management works great, even on the Ati 6870, sleep works (but you have to keep clicking the mouse until you see the desktop). I stressed the system in some benchmarks about 3 hours and it's rock solid.

Have you ever had sleep working properly on this build?

Try booting with

-v darkwake=no

Then sleep the machine via the apple menu, once off, leave for a few minutes then click the mouse every half second until you see the desktop. Don't just bash away at the keyboard/mouse, it will make no difference.

If this gets your desktop back but kernel panics immediately, post the panic and try again with the same boot options.

When I recently updated iTunes and Safari I started having this problem. I added the dark wake option and it KP'd the first time I tried, I tried again and I've not had a panic since.

You might also want to give chameleon a go if you are using chimera, just make sure you use a revision with the iCloud/facetime fix. (worth a go if all else fails)

• 1 month later...

**** UPDATE ****

MY HACKINTOSH IS ALMOST PERFECT - ONLY ONE PROBLEM, NOT SURE IT WILL EVER BE SOLVED??

Well I have just lived with the inability to get my Hackintosh to go to sleep. I really wish I could get this feature working again, it worked when I had Snow Leopard working with the Magic Installer, I know that lion was a new set of problems to overcome but the sleep issues seems to plague a lot of users.

I purchased a 4 DVI Port Video Card ATI Radeon 4850X2 about 4 months ago from a guy on craigslist and after an all day job of installing it, swapping out the power supply for a more powerful one and figuring out what I needed to make it work, I got it installed and working perfectly with 3 Apple Monitors. ( I used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] ATI 48xx Injector, then rebooted then used the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] ATI patch for 10.7.2 ) IT WORKS PERFECTLY!

I was hoping that this would fix the sleep problem but still it's a no go. When I put the computer to sleep it powers down perfectly. When I power it back on, it powers up perfectly, just the screens stay dark and will not come back on again.

Can this be fixed?? Is there a solution to this??? Has anyone with this problem been able to fix it and get it working???

I would love for sleep to work so that I don't have to keep turning my computer off.

{"JamesLittler" I have tried the -v darkwake=no still the computer screens will not come live again.}

Anybody? Is there an answer to this problem??

Try with ForceWake=yes

Try DarkWake=1

For me DarkWake=1 gives me a KP but DarkWake=No (which is un-documented btw) works.

Try manually setting your PCI-E voltage through BIOS, 100 is the norm but check what voltage your cards take.