Average download speed

10 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, another question out there. I dont know if my speed im getting with my internet is normal or slow. I'm over in michigan and currently have sbc yahoo dsl. Right now i'm on my laptop (using a linksys 54mbps wireless router) and my download speeds are usually about 50-70kbps MAX, sometimes it doesnt even go that fast, it hangs around 30kbps sometimes. If I'm on a desktop plugged directly into the router I still get about the same speed. I used to have an old netgear 11mbps wireless and I still got the average of about 50, on occastion it would go to 70. So I thought it was the netgear router that was being slow so thats when I switched it with the linksys one I had at another house of mine. Didnt help much. At the other house where the linksys one used to be (I've got comcast cable internet there), now it is the 11mbps netgear one, i'll still get a fast speed even on wireless there. So I decided to look around online for a little bit and most places just say make sure all the filters are on the phone lines, and yes they are and always have been Then I did one of thoes bandwidth tests where it compares your speed to others around your area, im not even 20% of the average speed.

I know cable is faster than dsl, but the question is... Should my dsl really be that slow?

I have SBC Global Dail and I'm in michigan....

I get like 28.8 kbps... or about 3.6 kilobytes per second. I guess my results don't help you much either... but I think 15 miles is considered far... I'm only like 17 miles from one and am not able to get dsl.