I want to remove XP...

2 posts in this topic

I have a very limiting 40 gig hard drive, with XP on 33 gig and OS X on the rest. I very very very seldom use XP anymore - as it takes three times as long to boot up as OS X. I recently installed Damn Small Linux on a thumb drive and have really been wanting to install Ubuntu on a partition of my hard drive...

I use Acronis OS Selector to select my OS - and that, of course, is installed on my Windows partition.

So, I've come here to as some advice.

What is the best method to format my XP partition?

Ideally, I'd like to format the 33 gig XP partition and use 20 gig of that for Ubuntu and then have the other 13 as more space for OS X - - I don't think it is necessary to try to add that 13 gig to my OS X partition - - I'm completely fine with having it be a seperate partition.

Would you format the XP partition with Ubuntu Live CD? Or, would you format it through OS X Disk Utility?

Also, will Darwin bootloader automatically kick in and take over as my bootloader instead of Acronis?

I hope his is clear enough - - let me know if you have any questions... but I'm just looking for some good advice here - -

Thanks everyone!

I have a very limiting 40 gig hard drive, with XP on 33 gig and OS X on the rest. I very very very seldom use XP anymore - as it takes three times as long to boot up as OS X. I recently installed Damn Small Linux on a thumb drive and have really been wanting to install Ubuntu on a partition of my hard drive...

I use Acronis OS Selector to select my OS - and that, of course, is installed on my Windows partition.

So, I've come here to as some advice.

What is the best method to format my XP partition?

Ideally, I'd like to format the 33 gig XP partition and use 20 gig of that for Ubuntu and then have the other 13 as more space for OS X - - I don't think it is necessary to try to add that 13 gig to my OS X partition - - I'm completely fine with having it be a seperate partition.

Would you format the XP partition with Ubuntu Live CD? Or, would you format it through OS X Disk Utility?

Also, will Darwin bootloader automatically kick in and take over as my bootloader instead of Acronis?

I hope his is clear enough - - let me know if you have any questions... but I'm just looking for some good advice here - -

Thanks everyone!

well, what youd want to do is figure out what format the ubuntu uses, tehn format that using the gparted live cd then ud leave the 13 gb for the osx and use osx disk utility to format that then ur gold

max

ps http://gparted.sourceforge.net/