OpenCL fix for non-GF100/GF110 cards (aka CC/SM 2.1+)

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

beta992

beta992

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Also on 10.9 now. Haven't got a freeze yet (EVGA GeForce 450 GTS 1GB), hope it stays this way. :)

What I do find strange is that OS X never is clocking down my GPU anymore. This is because of the new nVidia drivers that where also on 10.8.3>

I already added my card to AGPM.kext (see my post), GUI is smooth. But again no clocking-down = high power usage

Chibi Delenn

Chibi Delenn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Yewwo :)

I'm stuck in the same boat as many others here - I have an EVGA GTX 780 w/ ACX Cooler and the fixes here aren't working in the retail 10.9 drivers. It seems that the 10.9 drivers are a regression and are actually older than the stock 10.8.5 drivers, yet somehow modified with GK110 code. The DP versions of Mavericks seem to have worked for people here, but the release version has regressions and none of the fixes here work.

Has anybody gotten 780 cards working in Mavericks w/ OpenCL? There is a lot more that uses OpenCL now, especially Preview when viewing anything other than text/pdf, and having the apps just crash outright because of OpenCL (or Apple's pathetic implementation of it) is a total productivity killer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Local Moderators
  • 2,874 posts

Info: Since 10.9 final, my GT 440 didnt need the OpenCL patch anymore - runs OpenCL with unpatched driver. Before (older DPs) the patch was needed.

cmf

cmf

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Yewwo :)

I'm stuck in the same boat as many others here - I have an EVGA GTX 780 w/ ACX Cooler and the fixes here aren't working in the retail 10.9 drivers. It seems that the 10.9 drivers are a regression and are actually older than the stock 10.8.5 drivers, yet somehow modified with GK110 code. The DP versions of Mavericks seem to have worked for people here, but the release version has regressions and none of the fixes here work.

Has anybody gotten 780 cards working in Mavericks w/ OpenCL? There is a lot more that uses OpenCL now, especially Preview when viewing anything other than text/pdf, and having the apps just crash outright because of OpenCL (or Apple's pathetic implementation of it) is a total productivity killer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

This fix was never meant for any GK1xx cards and might even result in problems, because sm_2x (fermi) != sm_3x (kepler). Although the compiled binaries should generally be upwards compatible, there might be other things that get messed up because of the different sm version.

That being said, this fix isn't even necessary any more in 10.9 (even for sm_21 cards) as I've already written in the first post (the compiler in 10.9 can properly produce and handle up to sm_35 code now - thats GK110).

Concerning the GTX 780: I have no issues besides the general OpenGL slowness of the driver (really hoping for R330 drivers in 10.9.1 or 10.9.2 soon ...). On the other hand, OpenCL is actually pretty fast and you probably won't see any performance increases in future drivers as it is already at the max - at least for well written programs. It scales pretty much perfectly for my code (6x over a GT650M).
So, I don't know what you did wrong, but it should just work OOTB in 10.9.

Chibi Delenn

Chibi Delenn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Unfortunately even a vanilla install with only FakeSMC.kext and HWSensors installed results in OpenCL crashing immediately on any app that uses it. Boot to safe mode and OpenCL based apps don't crash anymore. And since the only driver that is disabled in Safe Mode for the nVidia GPUs is GeForce.kext, that puts the onus squarely on Apple's driver. Unfortunately without that driver loaded I get no acceleration either and the entire UI is choppy to say the least.

Mavericks' drivers are older than ML 10.8.5's stock drivers. Why the DP versions of Mavericks had awesome drivers and the release got drivers that are a year old is what's making me scratch my head.

cmf

cmf

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

are you sure you installed mavericks correctly? maybe some installer utility you used messed something up?

driver version should be 8.18.22 (apple version) and/or 310.40.05f01 (nvidia version) - better check all GeForce* and NVDA* kexts.

thats exactly the same driver that was already used in DP7, DP8 and the first GM.

Chibi Delenn

Chibi Delenn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

The driver version is exactly what you posted. Even booting from a Clover install on my USB drive causes this. My system profile is that of a Mac Pro 3,1. But even an iMac 14,2 has the same problem (and has issues of its own). Everything works except OpenCL. Any app that calls OpenCL crashes instantly the moment it does so. Preview.app, Pacifist, Cornerstone SVN, and LuxMark are among those apps. Preview crashes when attempting to view graphics files. Even QuickLook instantly crashes on graphics files.

I'm still trying to find out why this happens. It occurs both in 10.8.5 (including supplemental update 1.0) and in Mavericks. Only OpenCL causes the crashes. Other GTX 780 cards seem to work, but those are all cards released before the one I have. Now I didn't expect 10.8.5 to have real OpenCL support, but the crashes are a real problem.

cmf

cmf

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
I don't know about Clover, but in chameleon I have to disable the "GraphicsEnabler", otherwise I wouldn't even get to the login screen. But since it's working fine if I disable that option, this obviously means the card is supported as-is by OS X (full EFI support I guess?). Does Clover have a similar option?
And yeah, if OpenCL doesn't work properly, you're screwed, because CoreImage uses it - so about _everything_ in OS X.

I'm using the MacPro5,1 profile btw, but this shouldn't make much of a difference.

Chibi Delenn

Chibi Delenn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I don't know about Clover, but in chameleon I have to disable the "GraphicsEnabler", otherwise I wouldn't even get to the login screen. But since it's working fine if I disable that option, this obviously means the card is supported as-is by OS X (full EFI support I guess?). Does Clover have a similar option?
And yeah, if OpenCL doesn't work properly, you're screwed, because CoreImage uses it - so about _everything_ in OS X.

I'm using the MacPro5,1 profile btw, but this shouldn't make much of a difference.

I've tried Clover and Chameleon both to no avail. I've always used the GraphicsEnabler=No option specifically because nVidia cards are supposed to be supported out of the box. Mine works for everything but OpenCL. I'm really beginning to think it's because this card is too new. I have a feeling the 780 Ti being released by EVGA will suffer the same. Unfortunately 10.9.1/10.9.2 seeds are being released internally only so paid ADC members like myself cannot access them to see if newer drivers resolve this.

The reason I am thinking my card is too new is that not one version (any) of HWSensors/HWMonitor lets me see the GPU Fan or GPU Temp diodes even though GPUSensors is loaded. The card just doesn't appear to be supported yet due to being too new and too few people use it.

This is frustrating beyond belief that I might have to downgrade my card (in addition to eating any restocking fees) because one of the most powerful versions is just "too new". :(

cmf

cmf

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
What's the device id and revision id of your card? And can you make a BIOS dump and upload it?
I wasn't aware of any chip changes in the GTX 780 line, but they might have started using the same revised chips that they're also using for the GTX 780 Ti (GK110B).

I'm also annoyed by the 10.9.1/10.9.2 situation. I did expect a release this week, but maybe next week then ...
On another note: CUDA 6 will be released soon™ (maybe at SC13 next week?), so I also expect new drivers from Nvidia (probably R330 if they had to do the same changes/additions like they had to on Linux/Windows).

@any mod who's reading this: could splice the last few posts into the GTX 780 thread (#125 onwards)? Because this really doesn't belong here.
And then close this thread, because there is nothing more to say since 10.9.

Chibi Delenn

Chibi Delenn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I'm assuming I'll need to run GPU-Z in Windows to get a proper dump of the ROM. I have Windows 7 Pro 64-bit installed, so I can use that if I have to. I'll go ahead and do that and see if it lets me attach the ROM here. You may be right and if so, then these cards are just "too new" for ML/Mavericks and we'll need to wait for the nVidia Web drivers.

I'll post back here when I have the requested info. In the meantime could you link the GTX 780 thread you just referenced so I can bookmark it? :)

cmf

cmf

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

http://www.insanelym...288721-gtx-780/

And yes, GPU-Z should be able to dump the BIOS.

I also noticed that Nvidia actually announced CUDA 6 yesterday (for whatever reason not on their own blog ...), but no SDK or OS X drivers yet. The R330 Windows/Linux drivers have support for it though.

Chibi Delenn

Chibi Delenn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

OK, I have the ROM zipped for you. My stepping says A1, so it doesn't look to be a GK110B unless you know otherwise.

Edit: This says my board is based on the B1 stepping, but GPU-Z disagrees. Yay?

Attached Files

cmf

cmf

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

yeah, definitely GK110B: "GK110B P2083 SKU 21 VGA BIOS" (@0x686)
original GTX 780 is just "GK110" and "SKU 20", Titan is "SKU 10" and GTX 780 Ti is "SKU 30".

The "A1" in GPU-Z might be hardcoded, what does it say in the OS X System Information / Revision ID?

Chibi Delenn

Chibi Delenn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780
  Type: GPU
  Bus: PCIe
  Slot: J6B1
  PCIe Lane Width: x16
  VRAM (Total): 3072 MB
  Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
  Device ID: 0x1004
  Revision ID: 0x00a1
  ROM Revision: preset 1.0.0
  Displays:
L2410NM:
  Resolution: 1600 x 1000 @ 60 Hz
  Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Main Display: Yes
  Mirror: Off
  Online: Yes
  Rotation: Supported
  Television: Yes

cmf

cmf

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

okay, a bit weird, but if the BIOS says it is a GK110B, it is one.

also: 10.9.1 has no updated nvidia drivers :( just some new GeForceTesla drivers (still R310) and updated OpenCL framework (so you might want to give this a try).

Chibi Delenn

Chibi Delenn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Already gave it a try. No good. OpenCL still crashes.

crazylegsmurphy

crazylegsmurphy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Already gave it a try. No good. OpenCL still crashes.

Hey, 

I've been following you around a few forums. :P

I have the exact same issue as you. Everything works except OpenCL which crashes instantly. I've been scouring the net looking for solutions, but as of yet have come up with nothing. 

It was nice to see that someone realized you could use Preview.app DP, but now I can't find where I got that info and I just reinstalled OS X. :/

Anyway, I don't have much to add other than to let you know there are others out there looking for solutions as well. Lets hope someone can figure something out.

That said.....I mainly purchased this card for gaming in Windows. Having it work in OS X is really just a bonus if I can get it to work. The problem is, what I really would like to do until a solution is found is figure out a way to run OS X with my i7-4770k. The problem is that I can't seem to figure out the steps to allow OS X to use the Haswell, and Windows to use the GTX 780. If anyone has any ideas as to how this setup would work, I would really appreciate it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy