OpenCL fix for non-GF100/GF110 cards (aka CC/SM 2.1+)

cmf

138 posts in this topic

I don't know about Clover, but in chameleon I have to disable the "GraphicsEnabler", otherwise I wouldn't even get to the login screen. But since it's working fine if I disable that option, this obviously means the card is supported as-is by OS X (full EFI support I guess?). Does Clover have a similar option?

And yeah, if OpenCL doesn't work properly, you're screwed, because CoreImage uses it - so about _everything_ in OS X.

I'm using the MacPro5,1 profile btw, but this shouldn't make much of a difference.

I don't know about Clover, but in chameleon I have to disable the "GraphicsEnabler", otherwise I wouldn't even get to the login screen. But since it's working fine if I disable that option, this obviously means the card is supported as-is by OS X (full EFI support I guess?). Does Clover have a similar option?

And yeah, if OpenCL doesn't work properly, you're screwed, because CoreImage uses it - so about _everything_ in OS X.

I'm using the MacPro5,1 profile btw, but this shouldn't make much of a difference.

I've tried Clover and Chameleon both to no avail. I've always used the GraphicsEnabler=No option specifically because nVidia cards are supposed to be supported out of the box. Mine works for everything but OpenCL. I'm really beginning to think it's because this card is too new. I have a feeling the 780 Ti being released by EVGA will suffer the same. Unfortunately 10.9.1/10.9.2 seeds are being released internally only so paid ADC members like myself cannot access them to see if newer drivers resolve this.

The reason I am thinking my card is too new is that not one version (any) of HWSensors/HWMonitor lets me see the GPU Fan or GPU Temp diodes even though GPUSensors is loaded. The card just doesn't appear to be supported yet due to being too new and too few people use it.

This is frustrating beyond belief that I might have to downgrade my card (in addition to eating any restocking fees) because one of the most powerful versions is just "too new". :(

What's the device id and revision id of your card? And can you make a BIOS dump and upload it?

I wasn't aware of any chip changes in the GTX 780 line, but they might have started using the same revised chips that they're also using for the GTX 780 Ti (GK110B).

I'm also annoyed by the 10.9.1/10.9.2 situation. I did expect a release this week, but maybe next week then ...

On another note: CUDA 6 will be released soon (maybe at SC13 next week?), so I also expect new drivers from Nvidia (probably R330 if they had to do the same changes/additions like they had to on Linux/Windows).

@any mod who's reading this: could splice the last few posts into the GTX 780 thread (#125 onwards)? Because this really doesn't belong here.

And then close this thread, because there is nothing more to say since 10.9.

I'm assuming I'll need to run GPU-Z in Windows to get a proper dump of the ROM. I have Windows 7 Pro 64-bit installed, so I can use that if I have to. I'll go ahead and do that and see if it lets me attach the ROM here. You may be right and if so, then these cards are just "too new" for ML/Mavericks and we'll need to wait for the nVidia Web drivers.

I'll post back here when I have the requested info. In the meantime could you link the GTX 780 thread you just referenced so I can bookmark it? :)

yeah, definitely GK110B: "GK110B P2083 SKU 21 VGA BIOS" (@0x686)
original GTX 780 is just "GK110" and "SKU 20", Titan is "SKU 10" and GTX 780 Ti is "SKU 30".

The "A1" in GPU-Z might be hardcoded, what does it say in the OS X System Information / Revision ID?

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780
  Type: GPU
  Bus: PCIe
  Slot: J6B1
  PCIe Lane Width: x16
  VRAM (Total): 3072 MB
  Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
  Device ID: 0x1004
  Revision ID: 0x00a1
  ROM Revision: preset 1.0.0
  Displays:
L2410NM:
  Resolution: 1600 x 1000 @ 60 Hz
  Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Main Display: Yes
  Mirror: Off
  Online: Yes
  Rotation: Supported
  Television: Yes

okay, a bit weird, but if the BIOS says it is a GK110B, it is one.

also: 10.9.1 has no updated nvidia drivers :( just some new GeForceTesla drivers (still R310) and updated OpenCL framework (so you might want to give this a try).

• 1 month later...

Already gave it a try. No good. OpenCL still crashes.

Hey, 

I've been following you around a few forums. :P

I have the exact same issue as you. Everything works except OpenCL which crashes instantly. I've been scouring the net looking for solutions, but as of yet have come up with nothing. 

It was nice to see that someone realized you could use Preview.app DP, but now I can't find where I got that info and I just reinstalled OS X. :/

Anyway, I don't have much to add other than to let you know there are others out there looking for solutions as well. Lets hope someone can figure something out.

That said.....I mainly purchased this card for gaming in Windows. Having it work in OS X is really just a bonus if I can get it to work. The problem is, what I really would like to do until a solution is found is figure out a way to run OS X with my i7-4770k. The problem is that I can't seem to figure out the steps to allow OS X to use the Haswell, and Windows to use the GTX 780. If anyone has any ideas as to how this setup would work, I would really appreciate it.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi there, thanks for the information. Can you tell me how to patch a Radeon HD 6470m in Chameleon or Clover via the info.plist. I am assuming you are referring only to Clover boot methods? I need to get the video card to work completely with V Ram, OpenCl and resolution. 

I would be up for a working GPU in Clover or Chameleon, as well any OS from 10.8 onwards. 

Background: 

I have a Hp elitebook 8560p with Radeon, and I had it working in Mavericks but now have OsXAptFixDrv errors that disable Mavericks to boot. 

The device ID is 6760 in the system profiler, and says it's a "display 5mb." 

The video card is open cl and GL capable but I have had to reinstall OSX and lost my progress.

I previously used the Pro Book installer to make it work in Clover on Mavericks, but the video card does not work in versions higher that 10.10 with the Pro Book Installer app,

I am unable to fix a boot error to boot into Mavericks so I had to install Sierra, and the graphics cards no longer works with the V Ram showing, or openCL or acceleration in Sierra.

I tried to reinstall Mavericks but the machine freezes at the OSXAptFxDrv error in Clover.  

I would fix this in either chameleon or clover boot methods, (whatever can be helped with),. I would be able to install both Mavericks and Sierra or earlier OS X version, if there was a way in either Chameleon or Clover to get this to work. I would even go back to Mountain Lion if I could get the machine to boot and to have full functional GPU/video card performance. 

I can send a darwin dump, or an other file to work as well, posting it on the forum. 

I'd rather find a way to do it with some help than rely on an app that does not work as I have tried a few. 

Thank you, Nick