Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop -Snow Leopard Install Guide-

Joomluh12

4 posts in this topic

I'm starting this as a guide for new users with this laptop and as a log for myself. In this thread, I'll be teaching you how to get a nearly perfect setup on a Dell Inspiron 1545. The only thing that will be lacking is Quartz Extreme and Core Image.

Hardware Information

• Toshiba 250 GB S-ATA HDD
  • Intel GMA 4 series (varies)
  • Intel HD Audio
  • Intel Core 2 Duo

What You Need

• The actual computer (of course)
  • A retail Snow Leopard 10.6.3 DVD or an image of one.
  • An 8 GB flash drive or dual layer DVD if you have an image.

Beginning

I won't cover the process on how to burn a DVD or create a bootable USB installer. If you'd like to make a bootable USB installer, use Nawcom's ModUSB method or MyHack (OS X only). If you choose Nawcom's method, you'll need an active Linux partition or Live CD. Ubuntu works just fine. If your image is a DMG image, use AcetoneISO to make it an ISO.

Installation

This part is pretty much the easiest part. Once you have your installation media ready, pop it in and boot with it. You won't need to take any extra precautions to boot into the OS X installer for this system. Once you get passed the language selection window, click Utilities, then Disk Utility. Partition your hard drive accordingly as Mac Extended Journaled. (If you want to dual boot, look around for another guide on how to do it post-installation.)

After you've partitioned your drive, close DU and select it from the installation locations. Don't start the installation though. Click Customize and uncheck the VooDooHDA option. Leave the rest untouched (unless you want Quicktime and Rosetta). Now you can install the system.

Drivers and Post-Installation

Ok, so now you've got the system installed and you've probably already noticed the low resolution of 1024x768. You'll notice other things but for now, we only need to focus on updating. DO NOT update to 10.6.8 yet. Download the 10.6.7 combo update from Apple's site. After that's done don't run it just yet.

I've created a pack of drivers just for the 1545. It can be downloaded here. You'll need an archiver like Keka to uncompress it.

Firs thing's first is the resolution. Thanks to Deviato, we can now get our 1366x768 resolution back. Open com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra in a text editor and add this.

[b]<key>Graphics Mode</key>
  <string>1280x720x32@60Hz</string>[/b]

Save it to your desktop then replace it. Do the same for com.apple.Boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration.

Now, extract the included Chameleon folder to your desktop and open a Terminal.

cd Desktop/ChameleonMR2
 sudo cp boot /

Reboot and you'll have a 1366x768 resolution.

After you reboot, install the 10.6.7 update. When prompted to reboot, don't. Use Kext Helper to install The AppleHDA KEXTs, the Voodoo PS/2 KEXts, the IO80211Family KEXTs, use Kext Utility to fix your permissions, place the included DSDT.aml in /, and use [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to rollback your USB drivers. Now you can reboot.

If everything went correctly, you should now have a fully functional trackpad, working volume and media keys, a 1366x768 resolution, working audio, working wireless and Ethernet, and working USB/card reader ports. As far as QE/CI goes, I can't help you there. I'm hoping someone will find a fix soon.

Enabling Sleep

Download this and place the DSDT.aml file in /. It will replace the one used earlier which is ok.

I'd like to thank Deviato for all the work he's done for this system. He's truly an awesome guy and I wish he were still apart of the project.

Nice writeup, I had an Inspiron 1545 that I gave to my mother when I bought my Latitude E6510.

I know your write up is for MAC OS X 10.6.3, but if anyone has a newer Full Retail of MAC OS X (i.e. 10.6.4, 10.6.8) they could probably do it without having to go through the update process and hoping it doesn't lock up or have problems.

I did a full install from 10.6.8 on my E6510 and it worked to perfection. So just food for thought if someone has a newer version of MAC OS X 10.6.X

I've found the less updating you have to do, the better off your are lol. Makes things so much easier!

also be sure to update your guide to reflect that they need to turn AHCI on in their system bios under System Configuration for the SATA Management.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

As lextacy said the link/megaupload is no longer available, I wonder if anyone has the driver files mentioned above or an alternative link. If anyone could be so kind as to help it would be much appreciated. I have tried googling the filename, but because it's so short there are a lot of similar named archives, but alas not the ones I need !

Thanks in advance

Dave