Reset Administartor password on VMWare with OS X already installed ...

2 posts in this topic

Hi,

My VMWare OS X 10.6.3 virtual machine was on auto login with the administrators account for a long time and I have forgotten the password. I am logged into the system as an administrator automatically but can not install new software since I don't remember the password.

Google search says that I should boot from the installation DVD but I just can't find a way to do that with darwin_snow.iso. If I directly boot form the Installation DVD it give me the "OS not found" error. If I use the boot options on the darwin snow boot menu by pressing Options button it still reboots after changing the DVD from darwin_snow.iso to the installation DVD and i am back to square one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

When you boot, press the space bar to stop the boot. You should get a command line, type "-s" to boot into single-user root mode. When it's in the root console, you first have to run the commands it tells you to make the root file system writable. After that, type "passwd username", and it'll let you set a new password for username without asking for the old password [since you're running as root.]