[MiniGuide] SL 10.6.7 on HP NC6400 (VGA Intel) & NC4400

bautzen

Completed installations  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed your OSX following this guide?

• Yes
    • No

75 posts in this topic

Pat, thank you so much for the link above! I found an article showing where I had to edit the info.plist file to add my version specifically.

IO80211Family.kext > Contents > Plug-ins > AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext > Contents > Info.plist

Scrolled down to the array area, I changed <string>pci14e4,4313</string> to ,4315 (which was listed in my system profile for that network card.) Saved the file, reinstalled it with Kext helper, then ran kext utility and restarted.

For some reason, I couldn't turn on the airport, I made a new location, still couldn't turn it on, googled a bit, found an article saying to delete preferences. /users/name/library/preferences, trashed com.apple.airport.airportutility.plist and restarted..

Still wasn't working.. but I messed with the power button for the wifi card on bootup and finally it came on and is working. I'm posting from the HP hacked right now!

Below is the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext, I listed the change in bold and removed parts after.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>

<string>English</string>

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<string>AppleAirPortBrcm4311</string>

<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>

<string>4.2.2, Copyright © 2006–2009 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.</string>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AirPortBrcm43xx</string>

<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>

<string>6.0</string>

<key>CFBundleName</key>

<string>AppleAirPortBrcm4311</string>

<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>

<string>KEXT</string>

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>

<string>4.2.2</string>

<key>CFBundleSignature</key>

<string>????</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>422.91.27</string>

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>Broadcom 802.11 PCI</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AirPortBrcm43xx</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AirPort_Brcm43xx</string>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<string>IODefaultMatchCategory</string>

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci106b,4e</string>

<string>pci14e4,4311</string>

<string>pci14e4,4312</string>

<string>pci14e4,4315</string>

<string>pci14e4,4318</string>

<string>pci14e4,4319</string>

<string>pci14e4,431a</string>

<string>pci14e4,4320</string>

<string>pci14e4,4324</string>

<string>pci14e4,4325</string>

<string>pci14e4,4328</string>

<string>pci14e4,432b</string>

<string>pci14e4,432c</string>

<string>pci14e4,432d</string>

Also wanted to state that the only issues I'm having right now are with my cursors. If they aren't set to huge, they disappear and apparently have an invisible cursor for selecting text as well. So I have a huge cursor in the browser, finder, etc., but when I move it into this text field, it becomes invisible.

Otherwise, the machine is running great and now that I have wifi, it feels like a real computer!

Now that I have the computer connecting to the web, I've started to install some applications. I installed flash and shockwave, just pulled up youtube and I get the video controls in safari, but the video is black. In firefox, I didn't even see the video controls. Audio is working. I tried to open a video on apple.com, same thing video is black, audio is working.

Any thoughts? How about the disappearing cursors?

Thanks,

AJ

Hi, have you tried my dsdt patched for ati notebook on my first post? under update 07/12/2011

pat

Hi Pat,

I've installed the updated dsdt and now my bluetooth icon showed up. Unfortunately, that didn't fix the flash video issue or the cursor issues... but it's not a huge deal. Maybe I'll uninstall flash and reinstall. It's possibly due to video card issues??

Thanks again for all your help!

I'm thinking about loading the combo update to 10.6.7

5) INSTALL OSX 10.6.7 COMBO UPDATE:

- Now restart and check if your SL 10.6.3 is working. You can quite control if your DSDT is read by the System if you can see the bluetooth icon.

- Download Snow Leopard Combo Update 10.6.7 (circa 1 GB) and install it

- After the installation restart the PC

- Using KextHelperB7, you have to install the kexts from /SLE and launch kextutility.

* AppleACPIPlatform.kext = I have added AppleACPIThermal.kext from Tiger to reduce the CPU temperature to normal 47° C

* IONetworkingFamily.kext = I have added AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext that I have modified using hexedit to enable Internal LAN Gigabit. To resolve the MAC address problem, please add in rc.local "/sbin/ifconfig en1 lladdr AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF" as usual.

* VoodooTSCSync.kext = I have noticed that it helps to reduce the KP on Dual Core boots

* VoodooBattery.kext = Using AppleACPIPlatform.kext patched, it's seems now work fine.

* IOPCIFamily.kext + IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext = I have modified to recognize my south-bridge PCI Controller (for PCMCIA too) and my Internal Card Reader

* IOPCMCIAFamily.kext + ApplePCCard16ATA.kext + ApplePCCardATA.kext = to be able to use a PCMCIA Card Reader and any other PCMCIA Card. They are from Tiger and Leopard DVD!

- Using KextHelperB7, you have to install the kexts from /SLE and launch kextutility. -- This part here, do I do this step exactly as I did from the initial load? Copy those same files off my flash drive? Or are you just referring to the kexts listed below it.

hi barren23, the kexts below it are reported only for a short description about what they mean! unpacking my zip u will find a folder called SLE and that folder contains all the kexts (listed with a description) that you have to drag inside Kexthelperb7. They are for post 10.6.7 update.

regards

Pat

Pat,

I have nc4400 with T7200 CPU.

While I am creating bootable USB stick, everything is ok.

But, when I starting install, after a while ( and a lot of text on the screen) laptop just shut down.

I see the line with some error message on FakeCMS key no found.

Can it be because of different CPU type?

My USB stick is ok, I just purchased new kingston 16Gb for this installation.

I can attach image if required

Waiting for your thoughts )

Hi senovr, I don't think it depens from different CPU. First of all try to install disabling dual core on BIOS. You can enable after installation and after installation of slice's chameleon which resolve the dual core KP. be sure to install using "-v arch=i386" (verbose and in 32bit mode). Have you the last BIOS version??

If the KP still appears, please post your last pictrure about. FakeSMC provided by MyHack1.1 is at version 2.5 that works fine with our hardware.

Pat

Hi senovr, are you trying the installation on internal drive or on external usb disk? It's your sata hdd just partitioned or it's completly empty? Please try to "clear" your hdd before start the installation (using for example gparted or similar). In other words remove any partition table/partitions before. I have made several installation on nc4400 using the procedure described on my guide. Let me know...

pat

I followed THIS tutorial to get Lion 10.7.2 running on my nc4400. With some kext's for power manager, my temp is about 47C, with a fake "speedstep" feature.

Thanks for bautzen for doing some details working for this particular laptop.

Hi fael.scambo, glad to hear your success with Lion! I have follow your link but I found a little bit "generic" for our kind of notebook. I will would like to know your steps to obtain a working setup.

Which Chameleon have you used? 2.0 or 2.1? Have you dual core cpu working fine without KP? What do you mean with some kext? Is your battery icon, sleep, PCMCIA etc etc working? Which DSDT are you using?

Thank you for your hard work

Patrick

You're right. It's a "generic" tutorial.So I picked up some of the kexts from your guide, to make the steps suit right for my nc4400.

My bootloader is the Slice's one. I dont have any KP related to my T7200 cpu.

I'm using the DSDT that you uploaded.

I think everything is working fine. How can I chek it ?

Hi Pat,

Unfortunately I tried without success again :worried_anim:

I inserted "fresh" unpartitioned HDD, 1 core enabled, and -v arch=i386 mode. Still KP afer a while....

It seems that for some reasons notebook still boot in 64bit mode ( at least I can notise string telling "boot in 64bit" in the very beginning of verbose mode).

I will give a try to the fael's method.

By the way, description in his link is pretty similar to existing insanelymac's thread- http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=256729

• 2 weeks later...

Hi barren23, the problem is that you have let sleepenabler.kext for 10.6.3 and now your mac is at 10.6.7.

You can quite boot your mac using pmVersion=0 as boot argument. Then you have to delete the kext and re-run kextutility.

For 10.6.7 you have to download the right sleepenabler.kext.

let me know

regards

Pat

Hi barren23, the problem is that you have let sleepenabler.kext for 10.6.3 and now your mac is at 10.6.7.

You can quite boot your mac using pmVersion=0 as boot argument. Then you have to delete the kext and re-run kextutility.

For 10.6.7 you have to download the right sleepenabler.kext.

let me know

regards

Pat

I reinstalled and I resolved my cursor issues, I just didn't copy the /themes folder over from the /ok/ folder.

So if I download and install 10.6.7 again, what do I need to do prior to the restart so that it comes back? I'm a newbie to OSX. :)

Thanks,

Adam

Dang, I had it loaded and then I must have messed up the drivers for the mouse and keyboard.. I lost all input controls on restart. :(

Okay, I'm running again at 10.6.3... the cursor thing is back.. LOL, I had to increase the size and now I have a pointer, I assume I don't have a selector pointer, just like before, but at least I can navigate the system. I have to load/edit the kext again for my wifi driver, I'll need to get that going so I can get online with the mac again. :)

Thanks for your help, I look forward to hearing how I can get the proper sleepenabler.kext for 10.6.7.

Success on a Vanilla Lion install!

What you will need:

Lion install .app

[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]

[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 4.1.0

ShowAllFiles app

Usb stick 8bg or larger

A regular hackintosh to make the boot stick on

The kext package included at the bottom

A usb keyboard and mouse

Patience

A good bottle of wine for the install

A second bottle of wine for the success at the end.

Process:

0. Open bottle of wine and start drinking. A semi sweet white is excellent for this guide.

1. Purchase and download lion from the app store. Im only using 10.7 atm.

2. Download [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url].

3. Download [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url].

4. Format your usb stick appropriately with 1 partition and with the standard Mac Os Journaled settings, make sure to change it from Guid to MBR if it isnt already.

4. Run [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and install with laptop support.

5. Run ShowAllFiles and select show.

6. On your newly created stick delete the Extra folder and replace it with the modified one below.

7. Obtain from your current NC4400/6400 S/L/E directory a copy of VoodooHDA.kext

8. Rename this file to AppleHDA.kext

9. On your new usb stick replace the current AppleHDA.kext with the renamed VoodooHDA.kext

10. Plug in your usb keyboard and mouse.

11. Restart your computer, make sure to disable dual core in the bios, and then boot from the usb drive. Use Verbose mode.

12. Once you're into the installer use Disk Utility to format and partition your drive with one partition in the standard way, use journaled and Guid. Important part here, name your drive Archimedes.

13. Start the install, should take about twenty minutes or so, make sure you move your mouse every couple of minutes.

14. When the install completes restart and boot from the usb stick again, this time into Archimedes.

15. Do the standard setup steps. Make sure to set a password.

16. By this point you should be fully loaded into Lion and the first bottle of wine gone. Now open the second.

17. Go into the bluetooth settings in System Preferences and turn off "Open bluetooth assistant when no keyboard is present", and the same for mouse.

18. Run [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] from the desktop.

19. Install only: VoodooHDA 0.2.7.3 ,IOUSBFamily Rollback, PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse/Trackpad , Chimera v1.6.0 r1394 , and ShowAllFiles.

20. Let install run.

21. Ignore the AppleHDA.kext error after the install is finished and then go into S/L/E and delete it.

22. Run ShowAllFiles and select show.

23. Take the Extra folder from below and remove the two files pertaining to the mouse and keyboard. Then put the Extra folder where it normally goes.

24. Restart

25. Boot straight into Lion and finish the second bottle of wine in celebration.

Here's what works now.

1. Bluetooth

2. Wireless

3. Sound

4. Trackpad with the scroll areas (though it thinks its a mouse) and the nub works too!

5. Speedstep (I think, Coolbook doesnt work in Lion)

6. Brightness using the normal keys

7. QE and CI.

8. The fans run correctly.

Now here's what doesnt work at the moment.

1. There's no DSDT being used.

2. Sleep works only occasionally and probably wont awaken if it drops down into it.

3. Flash videos still dont play in browsers

4. Battery meter (Still havent installed it)

5. Dual core support is out.

Right now I'm so hungover its not even close to funny, so I leave it you to tinker for a while. I havent been able to test for any other errors or problems, but I'm damn sure there are bound to be some. I'm going out for a cheeseburger to celebrate and fix myself up.

I tried following these steps, but QE and CI and Ethernet do not work. Should Ethernet even work with this guide? Installing Lion using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] without any special modifications seems to have the same results as following this guide. I might be missing something. Is there a way to check if the kexts were installed correctly, or to reinstall them after installing Lion?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all, I have updated my guide attaching a DSDT patched for NC6400 ATI version. In other words I started from a new extracted dsdt (thanks to ketcap) and I applied all the fixes that I used for my NC6400 (intel version) except for the part of GFX0. For the video part I think that you need kexts. Please test it because I haven't this kind of notebook. Place the dsdt.aml under /Extra folder.

Pat

To use ATI Kexts in our notebook, we should delete the GraphicsEnabler=Yes key from the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file. replacing the new dsdt file is not enough to get it worked.

Hi Pat,

I've installed the updated dsdt and now my bluetooth icon showed up. Unfortunately, that didn't fix the flash video issue or the cursor issues... but it's not a huge deal. Maybe I'll uninstall flash and reinstall. It's possibly due to video card issues??

Thanks again for all your help!

Hi barran,

to get QE/CI support you have to delete GraphicsEnabler key from the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file. If you use 3 ATI kexts files (ATIRadeonX1000.kext, ATI1300Controller.kext, RadeonHD.kext) from the topic, you can get the hardware acceleration. Sometimes these kexts may not applied if the permissions are not modified correctly.

To do this, use these commands:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

chown -R root:wheel *

chmod -R 755 *

And do not forget the use -f parameter on chameleon command prompt. That will force the system to generate new cache file for kexts.

Have a nice day.

Hi Bautzen and all others,

First let me say thank you for all the resources you've made available on the web to people who want to get os x running on their nc6400's- couldn't have done it without you.

I wanted to ask some very basic questions about fixing some of the remaining 'imperfections' in my system.

i installed with iatkos s3 v2, and its been okay so far- most works ootb as you know, and i was able to get ethernet and vga out working by searching around online.

things i would still like to get working: wifi, sleep, dual core (without kp).

i am aware that you have worked out solutions for all of these, but i'm not sure if your hacked (no whitelist) bios for wifi (i have a bcm94322), would mess up my system b/c i dont have a vanilla install or something like that. i know this could be a very dumb question, but i just want to check before bricking my comp! furthermore, im not sure how to flash the bios with a usb key.

on a similar note, how can i get sleep working, brightness controls, and dual core w/o kernel panic? i know you address all of this in your 'mini guide,' but it was a little over my head (something with dsdts and 'chameleon'? once again, worried about conflicting with iAtkos). basically, i'm still not sure if applying any of your hacks over my iAtkos install would trash my system.

hopefully these are easy (newbish) questions that you can clear up fast

Thanks again,

Raphael

Hi rrad86, thank you for your attention to my guide. About your questions:

- Before trying a Vanilla installation I have played a lot of time with iAtkos S3 V2 and I have found some fixes starting from this version, so mostly of these will not crash your installation. A good rule it's always to apply step by step one fix each time. At the end I crashed my iAtkos installation applying some wrong patches but I was ready to reinstall in vanilla mode.

and i was able to get ethernet and vga out working by searching around online.

Maybe you have a NC6400 Ati version?? I have NC6400 only with Intel VGA so I haven't direct experience with ATI!! Sorry.

things i would still like to get working: wifi, sleep, dual core (without kp).

- SLEEP: I have resolved it modifing DSDT, without any SleepEnabler on my Intel version notebook. I have applied ALL the fixes to a DSDT of ATI version (I haven't touch VGA part), but I can not test it.

- KP: I have found only the Chameleon 2.0 posted on my guide. Someone else has reported as working some Chameleon 2.1 but they don't told me the exact version or where downloaded it!!! If you have some problems to manually apply it, please let me know.

- WIFI: I have resolved buying a BCM4311 marked HP for one NC6400. For another NC6400 I have used a BCM4311 not HP and after the "error 104...." during the post, I have re-flashed the BIOS with one hacked resolving the problem. I have then re-flashed the NC4400 too!!

but i'm not sure if your hacked (no whitelist) bios for wifi (i have a bcm94322), would mess up my system b/c i dont have a vanilla install or something like that. i know this could be a very dumb question, but i just want to check before bricking my comp! furthermore, im not sure how to flash the bios with a usb key.

Put the BCM94322 in the notebook and boot it up: do you receive the "error 104..." about Wireless incompatibility? You have 2 way: (1) re-flash your BIOS paying particular attention if you have a NC6400 with ATI or INTEL Vga (there is a BIOS for ATI and another one for INTEL)!!!! (2) Buy a wireless card from ebay that is compatible.

I suggest you to flash the BIOS using Windows XP installation!!

regards

pat

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply.

Maybe you have a NC6400 Ati version?? I have NC6400 only with Intel VGA so I haven't direct experience with ATI!! Sorry.

I'm nearly positive that I have the intel version (in the iatkos install, it listed my "express integrated graphics controller" as being an intel mobile 945GM). This is the 'VGA', right?

- SLEEP: I have resolved it modifing DSDT, without any SleepEnabler on my Intel version notebook. I have applied ALL the fixes to a DSDT of ATI version (I haven't touch VGA part), but I can not test it.

That's great- but I'm wondering, in your opinion, if you think that if i try to modify my DSDT as yours it will somehow corrupt my iatkos install and i wont be able to boot into os x, or use the mouse or something... i know its a stupid question, but i really don't know and could use the opinion of someone with more knowledge in the matter.

- KP: I have found only the Chameleon 2.0 posted on my guide. Someone else has reported as working some Chameleon 2.1 but they don't told me the exact version or where downloaded it!!! If you have some problems to manually apply it, please let me know.

Chameleon 2.0 is a bootloader? i set up iatkos by following the settings on this page: http://wiki.osx86pro...rtables#NC6400. Therefore, i think my bootloader is "AsereBLN v1.1.9". How do i change my bootloader to chameleon, in order to use both cores? i have read for hours but still dont fully grasp it, and want to understand before i start tinkering. Do you think there is any reason it would mess up my installation? (i know, sorry, amateurish questions)

- WIFI: I have resolved buying a BCM4311 marked HP for one NC6400. For another NC6400 I have used a BCM4311 not HP and after the "error 104...." during the post, I have re-flashed the BIOS with one hacked resolving the problem. I have then re-flashed the NC4400 too!!

Put the BCM94322 in the notebook and boot it up: do you receive the "error 104..." about Wireless incompatibility? You have 2 way: (1) re-flash your BIOS paying particular attention if you have a NC6400 with ATI or INTEL Vga (there is a BIOS for ATI and another one for INTEL)!!!! (2) Buy a wireless card from ebay that is compatible.

I suggest you to flash the BIOS using Windows XP installation!!

oh i didnt know they made them marked hp! mine must be dell, because i get the unsupported device error (by the way, it is actually a bcm94311- my mistake with the typo before). So i want to flash the bios with the hacked one included in your download pack. However, i have never done this before and i havnt found a very clear explanation on the web (i know it can trash the comp, so ive been hesitant). on my nc6400 i only have an os x partition, but i have access to a windows computer. is there any way i can prepare a bootable usb key from that comp with the hacked bios, boot from it on the nc6400 and flash that way? it seems possible to me, but i dont really know anything and was wondering what you thought- thanks again

best

Raphael

Scratch all that; I bought a bigger SATA drive and am working on a Vanilla install. I got OS X working and it's great, but now I'm struggling with being able to dual-boot with XP. Anyone got that working with this method yet?

Also: is there a way to check if bios flash worked? Not sure I did that correctly... do you just execute hpqflash?

thanks

raphael

• 2 months later...