[MiniGuide] SL 10.6.7 on HP NC6400 (VGA Intel) & NC4400

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Poll: Completed installations (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you successfully installed your OSX following this guide?

1. Yes (9 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

barren23

barren23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Thanks again Pat,
I've ordered a broadcom 4312. I paid $20 US shipped and it's coming from Texas. The ones on ebay were only $8.99 but they were coming out of Hong Kong with a 15 day shipping period.

I'm not sure if it's worth it to post up my list, but those are the steps to get 10.6.3 working on an NC6400 (ATI version). I haven't looked at upgrading to 10.6.7.

bautzen

bautzen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi to all, I have updated my guide attaching a DSDT patched for NC6400 ATI version. In other words I started from a new extracted dsdt (thanks to ketcap) and I applied all the fixes that I used for my NC6400 (intel version) except for the part of GFX0. For the video part I think that you need kexts. Please test it because I haven't this kind of notebook. Place the dsdt.aml under /Extra folder.

Pat

Gudelis

Gudelis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello guys, I have NC6400 with Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG . Is there any chance that it could work with OS X?

bautzen

bautzen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Hello guys, I have NC6400 with Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG . Is there any chance that it could work with OS X?

Hi, no way to have usable wireless functions..... if u want to let this intel you will have to work with WEP or open networks, absolute no support for WPA/WPA2

2 links are the usual: http://projectcampho...rcurysquad.com/. or good old http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/ .... buy a $10.00 broadcom on ebay and you will be ok ootb without problems. Few broadcom cards have problems with osx86... have a look on forums for the list...

my 2 cents

Pat

barren23

barren23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
I should have my Broadcom nic in the next few days, I will report back.

barren23

barren23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
I received my broadcom wireless nic and installed it.. but I don't see it listed under system preferences > network... or under airport utility. Is there a kext I need to install? I bought the suggested broadcom pci-e wireless card.

Under System profiler, I see network - ethernet and network "other network controller"... and it says driver installed "no".

bautzen

bautzen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi barren23, exactly what is the right model of BCM??? Are you able to provide us a P/N or HP Part number or better the chipset model for example BCM4312MCG?

Regards

barren23

barren23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Bcm94312mcg. Wmib-271g v00-a.

barren23

barren23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Is the problem that I didn't install your dsdt? If so, is there something I can edit to get mine to work? Remember, this is an ATI nc6400. I do not have a Bluetooth icon.

Posted Image

bautzen

bautzen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi barren23, I have posted some days ago a DSDT for ATI notebooks. Try to use it, It shouldn't resolve Wireless issue, but bluetooth and other things.

Maybe when you installed the SL missing the Broadcom card, the installation didn't copy at least AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext. Search for that kext. Try to install the original one and then eventually try the patched ones on internet.

About your wireless try one of these link:
http://www.osx86.net...p-wireless.html

or

"
@mialemat
I did it but no way…
Meanwhile I found a script that changes the Info.plist.AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext adding support for my stock broadcom BCM94312MCG (aka dell 1395):
http://www.insanelym...showtopic=51725
I tryed It and it worked without cut pin 20 of the wifi card… great!"

my 2 cents

pat

barren23

barren23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Pat, thank you so much for the link above! I found an article showing where I had to edit the info.plist file to add my version specifically.

IO80211Family.kext > Contents > Plug-ins > AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext > Contents > Info.plist

Scrolled down to the array area, I changed <string>pci14e4,4313</string> to ,4315 (which was listed in my system profile for that network card.) Saved the file, reinstalled it with Kext helper, then ran kext utility and restarted.

For some reason, I couldn't turn on the airport, I made a new location, still couldn't turn it on, googled a bit, found an article saying to delete preferences. /users/name/library/preferences, trashed com.apple.airport.airportutility.plist and restarted..

Still wasn't working.. but I messed with the power button for the wifi card on bootup and finally it came on and is working. I'm posting from the HP hacked right now!

Below is the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext, I listed the change in bold and removed parts after.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
<string>English</string>
<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
<string>AppleAirPortBrcm4311</string>
<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
<string>4.2.2, Copyright © 2006–2009 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.</string>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.driver.AirPortBrcm43xx</string>
<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
<string>6.0</string>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>AppleAirPortBrcm4311</string>
<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
<string>KEXT</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>4.2.2</string>
<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
<string>????</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>422.91.27</string>
<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
<dict>
<key>Broadcom 802.11 PCI</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.driver.AirPortBrcm43xx</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>AirPort_Brcm43xx</string>
<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
<string>IODefaultMatchCategory</string>
<key>IONameMatch</key>
<array>
<string>pci106b,4e</string>
<string>pci14e4,4311</string>
<string>pci14e4,4312</string>
<string>pci14e4,4315</string>
<string>pci14e4,4318</string>
<string>pci14e4,4319</string>
<string>pci14e4,431a</string>
<string>pci14e4,4320</string>
<string>pci14e4,4324</string>
<string>pci14e4,4325</string>
<string>pci14e4,4328</string>
<string>pci14e4,432b</string>
<string>pci14e4,432c</string>
<string>pci14e4,432d</string>

Also wanted to state that the only issues I'm having right now are with my cursors. If they aren't set to huge, they disappear and apparently have an invisible cursor for selecting text as well. So I have a huge cursor in the browser, finder, etc., but when I move it into this text field, it becomes invisible.

Otherwise, the machine is running great and now that I have wifi, it feels like a real computer!

barren23

barren23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Now that I have the computer connecting to the web, I've started to install some applications. I installed flash and shockwave, just pulled up youtube and I get the video controls in safari, but the video is black. In firefox, I didn't even see the video controls. Audio is working. I tried to open a video on apple.com, same thing video is black, audio is working.

Any thoughts? How about the disappearing cursors?

Thanks,
AJ

bautzen

bautzen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi, have you tried my dsdt patched for ati notebook on my first post? under update 07/12/2011

pat

barren23

barren23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Hi, have you tried my dsdt patched for ati notebook on my first post? under update 07/12/2011

pat

I haven't yet, I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

barren23

barren23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

pat

Hi Pat,

I've installed the updated dsdt and now my bluetooth icon showed up. Unfortunately, that didn't fix the flash video issue or the cursor issues... but it's not a huge deal. Maybe I'll uninstall flash and reinstall. It's possibly due to video card issues??

Thanks again for all your help!

barren23

barren23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
I'm thinking about loading the combo update to 10.6.7

5) INSTALL OSX 10.6.7 COMBO UPDATE:
- Now restart and check if your SL 10.6.3 is working. You can quite control if your DSDT is read by the System if you can see the bluetooth icon.
- Download Snow Leopard Combo Update 10.6.7 (circa 1 GB) and install it
- After the installation restart the PC
- Using KextHelperB7, you have to install the kexts from /SLE and launch kextutility.
* AppleACPIPlatform.kext = I have added AppleACPIThermal.kext from Tiger to reduce the CPU temperature to normal 47° C
* IONetworkingFamily.kext = I have added AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext that I have modified using hexedit to enable Internal LAN Gigabit. To resolve the MAC address problem, please add in rc.local "/sbin/ifconfig en1 lladdr AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF" as usual.
* VoodooTSCSync.kext = I have noticed that it helps to reduce the KP on Dual Core boots
* VoodooBattery.kext = Using AppleACPIPlatform.kext patched, it's seems now work fine.
* IOPCIFamily.kext + IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext = I have modified to recognize my south-bridge PCI Controller (for PCMCIA too) and my Internal Card Reader
* IOPCMCIAFamily.kext + ApplePCCard16ATA.kext + ApplePCCardATA.kext = to be able to use a PCMCIA Card Reader and any other PCMCIA Card. They are from Tiger and Leopard DVD!

- Using KextHelperB7, you have to install the kexts from /SLE and launch kextutility. -- This part here, do I do this step exactly as I did from the initial load? Copy those same files off my flash drive? Or are you just referring to the kexts listed below it.

bautzen

bautzen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
hi barren23, the kexts below it are reported only for a short description about what they mean! unpacking my zip u will find a folder called SLE and that folder contains all the kexts (listed with a description) that you have to drag inside Kexthelperb7. They are for post 10.6.7 update.

regards

Pat

senovr

senovr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Pat,
I have nc4400 with T7200 CPU.
While I am creating bootable USB stick, everything is ok.
But, when I starting install, after a while ( and a lot of text on the screen) laptop just shut down.
I see the line with some error message on FakeCMS key no found.

Can it be because of different CPU type?
My USB stick is ok, I just purchased new kingston 16Gb for this installation.

I can attach image if required
Waiting for your thoughts )

bautzen

bautzen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi senovr, I don't think it depens from different CPU. First of all try to install disabling dual core on BIOS. You can enable after installation and after installation of slice's chameleon which resolve the dual core KP. be sure to install using "-v arch=i386" (verbose and in 32bit mode). Have you the last BIOS version??

If the KP still appears, please post your last pictrure about. FakeSMC provided by MyHack1.1 is at version 2.5 that works fine with our hardware.

Pat

senovr

senovr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Pat,
Did how you said and still have KP.
Here the link with photos:
flickr.com/photos/61217160@N05/sets/72157628441396525/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy