[MiniGuide] SL 10.6.7 on HP NC6400 (VGA Intel) & NC4400

bautzen

Completed installations  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed your OSX following this guide?

• Yes
    • No

75 posts in this topic

To everyone trying out lion and getting the fan constantly being on high issue, and also the battery meter not working, I figured out it has something to do with wether or not you're running the kernel in 64bit or 32bit modes.Which is the same as with snow leopard, when i run it in 64 bit i get all of the same problems . I dont have my lion drive with me tonight, but i think if you put arch=i386 into the boot arguements for chimera then it might fix that problem. I'll be able to check tomorrow (which also might get us the dsdt usage and everything else back). It also "should" fix the whole flash videos not working in browsers problem. Anyone care to try tonight?

I'm trying to build my first Hackintosh on an NC6400 with ATI video. I've built the boot device on flash and flashed the bios with the linked items and set dual core enable, sata to native. When I boot off the flash drive, the load starts, then it just shuts off. The first time I tried, I did get a processor halted error, but since that first time, I haven't seen that error. Now it just shuts off randomly while loading. I never get to the startup screen to bring up disk utility.

I get the loading kernel mach_kernel, then Loaded HFS+files start loading.... and they stream through a page or two.. then it powers off. My battery isn't good, but I'm plugged into A/C.

Thoughts? I disabled dual core and tried again, it started up and ran longer, but I'm thinking just because it was slower.

I did download the ATI patch linked, but I'm not sure how to use that. Can you explain that and point me to the right direction?

Thanks.

It would either be in your /Extra/Extensions folder or in your S/L/E folder. make sure to rebuild the two cache's or boot with "ignore kernel cache" .

This at least worked for me. Your mileage may vary though.

In other news for Lion: By adding the standard DSDT to /Extra and by adding arch=i386 to the boot arguments (must be in your com.apple.Boot.plist file in /Extra) you are able to obtain 1. Full Flash usage 2. Dual Core 3. Possibly Battery . Sleep is still out the window atm.

To anyone who's installed Lion: Thoughts? Does it work for you?

I'm still having some issues with that first boot off the USB drive.. but I'm going to erase the drive and try again, I think I might have messed up on some of the KEXT installs. Several of them gave me errors. I'm going to have to do it again when my full attention is on that.

When I'm using the Kext Helper to install, it takes the path of the source.. so in my case, they are on a usb drive. Do I first copy them to the root of HD/system/library/extensions folder and authenticate the overwrite, then use the helper again to install them, then kext utility to fix permissions? Or does Kext Helper know where to install them all and I can just drag them to Kext Helper from my USB drive, then use the Kext Utility to fix the permissions?

I've been fighting with the install now for a couple of days, the machine randomly shuts off during the installation. I've had it running a handful of times but have somehow messed up the KEXT installs.

Just now I had it loaded:

-installed myhack on hd

-copied the com.apple....plist, dsdt.aml, and smbios.plist to the /extra folder

-installed kexthelperb7 and kextutility to applications

-ran kexthelper - dragged the 12 files from the /sle folder (on USB Flash) into kext helper and installed them

-ran the voodoohda...pkg

-ran KextUtility

-deleted elliotforce.kext from /extensions

-shutdown... unplugged all usb devices, tried to power back on.

I get the boot up screen with iHack... a couple screens scroll by, then I get this for a little while, then it powers down.

hack2.jpg

I haven't done anything with the ATI zip file that I downloaded... could it be the video drivers missing? Also, the guide tells you to copy the /extra files a couple times.. I didn't do that and it asks you to load the voodoopowermini.kext and voodoops2contoller.kext after you've already done that in the step previous cause those kext files are in the /sle list. 12 files are in that list that I loaded via KextHelperb7.

I'm not all that concerned about having "everything" working on this laptop, I just want it to boot and have wireless nic, audio. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I believe that you wont be able to use the dsdt as it is written for intel video cards and not the ati ones afaik. next install just leave out the dsdt from /Extra and try rebooting. also did you delete applehda.kext from s/l/e after you installed voodoohda?

Well, I had it running last night for the first time where it would boot up consistently. For some reason, I didn't have a cursor though and the touchpad wasn't working, so I then loaded the drivers for the touchpad and keyboard and broke it. I loaded appleps2controller.kext from alternate kexts and AppleACPIP2nub.kext and then the usb keyboard and mouse stopped working. So I've formatted it and plan to complete the install again this morning. I'm going to try to note my exact steps to hopefully give new users a better step by step guide. Since this is my first Hackintosh, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to knowing what these drivers do and I've never edited any of them, I'm going by what you guys have so nicely given us for resources!

Off the top of my head, here is the procedure I used last night (I'll update it again when I complete the load again)

-Make usb boot drive (pen) as directed

-Set dual core to disabled in bios

-Set sata to native in bios

-Boot off usb drive - f9

-Format drive as directed

-Load osx via wizard

-Reboot when it asks and hit F9 to boot off the flash

-Press any key in the gui to edit startup options

-Select the newly installed HD OSX to boot from

-Complete Wizard

-Copy files from USB (I copy the entire selection of downloaded files to the desktop)

-Run MyHack 1.1 and install on HD (I just use the wizard, no manual file copying or options)

-Copy from /extra on usb to /extra on HD (com.apple.boot.plist and smbios.plist **I'm skipping the dsdt.aml**

-Copy kexthelperb7 and kextutiliy to hd/applications

-Copy files from usb/ok/extra to hd/extra (I might have skipped some of the folders like themes, that might be my pointer issue)

-Run kexthelperb7

-Select the files from /usb/post_installation/extra **except voodoopowermini.kext and voodoops2controller.kext

-type in password and click "easy install"

-Run voodoohda-0.2.62.pkg from usb, select defaults

-Run kexthelperb7 and add voodoopowermini.kext, voodoops2controller.kext, and radeon.kext (I forget the actual name... it's radeon something)

-Delete applehada.kext from /s/l/e

-Delete elliotforce.kext from /s/l/e

-Run KextUtility

-restart.

Chunk, do you see anything I'm forgetting? This is all prior to 10.6.7 combo update... I haven't gone down that road yet. I'm just trying to get the system to boot properly and have keyboard and touchpad support. Then I'll work towards the updates and the most important thing is wireless.

Thanks again for your help!

I have my system running now but I have an invisible cursor, I managed to increase the size in universal access and now it's giant and visible. Any thoughts? Also, no wireless in my network settings, any idea for that driver?

Thanks. Also, whenever I try to enable dual core, it won't boot. I'm still at 10.6.3. No updates loaded.

I have my system running now but I have an invisible cursor, I managed to increase the size in universal access and now it's giant and visible. Any thoughts? Also, no wireless in my network settings, any idea for that driver?

Thanks. Also, whenever I try to enable dual core, it won't boot. I'm still at 10.6.3. No updates loaded.

Hi barren23, and thank you for your attemps to install OSX on NC6400 (ATI version).

First of all MY GUIDE IS FOR INTEL ONLY VERSION because I have some of this notebook, I cann't test on ATI version. Anyway an user (ketcap) has written to me that he was able to install on ATI with my guide without great problems (he said me to be a newbie too like me and many other). He has used my DSDT (for Intel) and specific kexts that I have attached on my guide on post #1. He reported me no problems at internal Mouse/Touchpad/keyboard etc etc.

So I think that the 2 models are not so different except for VGA part. I'm working to rewrite an original DSDT.dsl of ATI model to reflect all the modified parts of my dsdt. It's almost ready (80%) and today or tomorrow I will attach it to my first post for testing pourpose.

Till now (80%) I have not found great difference between these two DSDT's version, so I think that my guide will be valid for ATI version too at the end.

About your problems:

1) The ElliotForceLegacyRTC.kext error was because of during installation of MyHack 1.1 under AdHoc selection you have not deselected this kext: the list is a little bit long and you had to scroll vertically to find it.

Exctract from my guide on step 2:

"- Now launch MyHack 1.1 and install it on USB Pen so it becomes bootable. During the wizard please choose "AdHoc" and select only these options: core, com.apple.Boot.plist, EvoReboot and FakeSMC and nothing else!!!! "

2) The guide is for jump your installation to 10.6.7 in few steps so under my POST_INSTALLATION folder the SLE is suitable after the upgrade to 10.6.7 (combo update). This means that at least AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IONetworkingFamily.kext are patched based on original one from 10.6.7. I don't know now if they could be used on 10.6.3 too. About AppleHDA.kext removing step suggested by good chunk boy, I don't think that it's necessary: install VoodooHDA-0.2.62.pkg from my ZIP and you are ok with audio.

3) YOU CAN ENABLE/USE Dual Core ONLY AFTER INSTALLATION OF SLICE's Chameleon version 2.0 RC5m r1291 provided on my guide and ZIP version2. I have tested dozen of other Chameleons without success: always 1 boot every 10 attempts. The only one that works perfectly is SLICE's one! STOP.

4) About WIRELESS problems: INTEL WIRELESS CARDS (standard on mostly NC6400) DON'T WORK OOTB (out-of-the-box). You need to use other projects or porting for these cards (IWIxxxx) but you will not have any protection (accept only WEP or OPEN Wireless networks). My suggestion? Buy a Broadcom BMC4312xxx wireless card for max $ 10,00!!!!

5) About the problems with keyboard/USB etc, are you working in 32bit or 64bit???????? Our NC6400 are not "pure" 64bit notebook (mainly because of the chipset). For Microsoft OS's 64bit there aren't so many problems at all, for LINUX/BSD/OSX the things change. My opinion? I'm using Snow Leopard 10.6.7 (32bit) without any issue till now. I don't understand which benefits could give me the 64bit!!!!

NOW:

- I will provide my patched DSDT as soon as possibile to my first post so ATI people can test it

- I invite ketcap to post his method for ATI kexts installation.

Thanks to all

Pat

Pat, thank you for your reply.

I'm not sure I understand the part about running MyHack. When I run that, it is automatic, there aren't any options to choose "AdHoc" that I see.

My keyboard and mouse are working fine, other than the cursor having to be large.

I'll look at the other install options for the intel wireless card. WEP is fine for my needs.

Thanks again Pat,

I've ordered a broadcom 4312. I paid $20 US shipped and it's coming from Texas. The ones on ebay were only $8.99 but they were coming out of Hong Kong with a 15 day shipping period.

I'm not sure if it's worth it to post up my list, but those are the steps to get 10.6.3 working on an NC6400 (ATI version). I haven't looked at upgrading to 10.6.7.

Hi to all, I have updated my guide attaching a DSDT patched for NC6400 ATI version. In other words I started from a new extracted dsdt (thanks to ketcap) and I applied all the fixes that I used for my NC6400 (intel version) except for the part of GFX0. For the video part I think that you need kexts. Please test it because I haven't this kind of notebook. Place the dsdt.aml under /Extra folder.

Pat

Hello guys, I have NC6400 with Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG . Is there any chance that it could work with OS X?

Hi, no way to have usable wireless functions..... if u want to let this intel you will have to work with WEP or open networks, absolute no support for WPA/WPA2

2 links are the usual: http://projectcampho...rcurysquad.com/. or good old http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/ .... buy a $10.00 broadcom on ebay and you will be ok ootb without problems. Few broadcom cards have problems with osx86... have a look on forums for the list...

my 2 cents

Pat

I received my broadcom wireless nic and installed it.. but I don't see it listed under system preferences > network... or under airport utility. Is there a kext I need to install? I bought the suggested broadcom pci-e wireless card.

Under System profiler, I see network - ethernet and network "other network controller"... and it says driver installed "no".

Hi barren23, I have posted some days ago a DSDT for ATI notebooks. Try to use it, It shouldn't resolve Wireless issue, but bluetooth and other things.

Maybe when you installed the SL missing the Broadcom card, the installation didn't copy at least AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext. Search for that kext. Try to install the original one and then eventually try the patched ones on internet.

About your wireless try one of these link:

http://www.osx86.net...p-wireless.html

or

"

@mialemat

I did it but no way…

Meanwhile I found a script that changes the Info.plist.AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext adding support for my stock broadcom BCM94312MCG (aka dell 1395):

http://www.insanelym...showtopic=51725

I tryed It and it worked without cut pin 20 of the wifi card… great!"

my 2 cents

pat